Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
20.3-megapixel hybrid camera with 20-50mm 2.5X zoom lens and Wi-Fi® (White)
Item # 305NX300W | MFR # EV-NX300ZBFUUS
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Samsung NX300 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
Going for classic
What do you get when you combine portability, world-class hybrid autofocus, Wi-Fi® features like remote monitoring and control, and the ability to host a bevy of versatile lenses? We have to be talking about the Samsung NX300 hybrid digital camera. Starting from its retro-inspired two-tone design and its uncluttered, touch-enabled control interface, the NX300 serves notice it just might be aspiring to become a classic.
Options under glass
This camera comes with a versatile and reliable 20-50mm 2.5X zoom lens, which is perfect for day-to-day shooting opportunities. But should you wish to explore a few creative options, a selection of optional "pancake" style lenses make it possible to change this camera's artistic profile while still keeping it (and your other lenses) in a coat pocket. And when you want a lens with a bit more reach or specialized skills, a number of meticulously designed standard size ones are available for the NX300 as well. Most of Samsung's NX-compatible lenses feature their innovative "i-Function" one-button technology, which enables you to access many manual and automatic settings directly from the lens — often with a simple twist. And one lens for the NX-series — the 45mm 2D/3D lens — allows you to record true 3D stills and movies with just one lens, for later enjoyment on a 3D-capable HDTV.
Good glass is nothing without a proper system to bring out its best features, however. A camera and lens work together to acquire and track focus, and the ability to do this efficiently means more of your shots will be keepers. That's why the NX300's large, 20.3-megapixel APS-C sensor is paired with Samsung's advanced hybrid autofocus system. The camera uses the best aspects of both contrast-detection and phase-detection focusing strategies in order to achieve a spontaneous shooting experience. You won't have to worry about policing your camera's focus, so you can concentrate on the artistic aspects of documenting the moment.
Share your vision with the world
The NX300's built-in dual-band Wi-Fi hooks up with your compatible smartphone, tablet, or PC in seconds with an available free downloadable app. And when you press the dedicated Direct Link key on the top of the camera, you can easily and quickly upload files to social or sharing online communities — or back them up in the cloud — directly from the camera.
In addition to its lightning-quick autofocus, the NX300 has other speedy attributes. It shoots detailed full-resolution stills at a smoking 8.6 frames per second in continuous mode, and the shutter speed maxes out at a hummingbird-freezing 1/6,000th of a second.
And let's not forget video, because Samsung didn't: the NX300 shoots at a full 1080/60p resolution, so your shots will feature creamy, smooth motion and dynamic action. A mini HDMI output allows you to view your captures on compatible HDTVs, using an optional cable.
For as compact as this camera is the quality is amazing. I took some macro shots and they are clear and wonderful. I wish I could give it an extra star.
Judy c, Mich
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (white) with attached body cap
- 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 zoom lens (with rear and 40.5mm front lens caps attached)
- BP1130 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (7.6V 1130mAh 8.58Wh)
- ETA0U61JBE battery charger (5V 1A)
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and proprietary USB on the other end)
- SEF8A Flash unit (in plastic case)
- Neck strap
- Software CD-ROM
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 DVD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (English)
- Quick Start Guide (Spanish)
- Quick Reference Guide (English)
- Quick Reference Guide (Spanish)
- Samsung International Warranty Certificate
- Product Registration sheet
- Important Information for NX300/NX1100 Users (regarding Photoshop Lightroom 4)
- 20.3-megapixel effective recording
- dual-band Wi-Fi® sharing allows fast and stable transfer of photos and video to smartphones and tablets in addition to viewing them on compatible TVs and PCs
- APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor (23.5 X 15.7 mm) for rich tonal gradation and true-to-life color
- includes 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 30.8-77mm)
- large, tilting 3.31" LCD touchscreen makes unusual angles easy to monitor
- one-lens 3D picture and movie creation is available with the optional 2D/3D 45mm lens kit (view on compatible 3D HDTVs)
- fast, electronically controlled shutter has a maximum speed of 1/6000 sec.
- next-generation DRIMe IV image processing engine enables better video performance and enhanced noise reduction
- high-def, high-quality movie mode with stereo sound (up to 1080p @ 60 frames per second)
- geo-tagging available with optional WGS84 GPS module
- hybrid phase/contrast detection autofocus system combines focus strategies for rapid, precise performance (105 phase-detection points, 247 contrast-detection points)
- special scene modes like Beauty Face, Waterfall, Fireworks, silhouette and more
- creative picture effects include Colored Pencil, Oil Sketch, Miniature and more
- hot shoe hosts the included SEF-8A external flash unit
- intuitive on-screen touch interface complements the back-panel 5-way key control navigation for quick, confident control
- additional Samsung NX-mount lenses are available to stretch your creative options
- software upgrade notifier alerts you to new firmware upgrades when you connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- compatible with Samsung NX-mount lenses
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: 8.6 frames per second
- shutter speed range: 30-1/6,000 seconds, bulb (limit 4 minutes)
- sensitivity or ISO (film speed equivalent) range: 100-25,600 selectable
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, lens priority, and fully automatic exposure modes
- exposure bracketing: up to 3 frames
- flash sync speed: less than 1/180 second
File Formats and Storage:
- image storage modes: JPEG (Super Fine, Fine and Normal), RAW
- still image aspect ratio options: 3:2, 16:9, 1:1
- MP4 movie files up to 1920 x 1080 at 60 frames per second with stereo sound (3D shooting at 30fps only, .MPO format)
- accepts optional SD, SDHC and SDXC cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- dual-channel 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
- 5"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-5/8"D (without lens)
- weight (without battery or media): 10.02 oz.
- Samsung NX-mount 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens
- external SEF-8A flash unit
- rechargeable BP1130 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- body cap
Samsung NX300 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3.31"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||30.8-77mm|
|Built-in Flash||Unit included|
|Sensor Size||23.5 x 15.7mm CMOS|
|Highest Resolution||5472 x 3648|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||10|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Interchangeable Lens Camera: The Samsung NX300 digital camera is an interchangeable lens camera with the Samsung NX-mount. It is compatible with the NX-series of lenses including wide-angle fixed focal length lenses (16mm, 20mm, 30mm), prime lenses (60mm, 85mm), and zoom lenses (20-50mm, 18-200mm, 50-200mm). The camera comes with a 20-50mm standard zoom lens.
3.31" AMOLED Touch Screen Monitor: The NX300 digital camera has a 3.31" color AMOLED monitor with C-type Touch Control Enabled. The monitor features 768,000 dots, and has a 100% field of view. The monitor can tilt up 90° for framing low-angle shots, and down 45° for high-angle shots. The monitor's brightness can be set between -2 and +2.
Recording Media: The Samsung NX300 digital camera can record still images and video onto SD cards (up to 2 GB) SDHC cards (up to 32 GB), or SDXC cards (up to 128 GB). No memory cards are included with the camera.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The NX300 has built-in Wi-Fi, which lets you instantly share your photos wirelessly from your home network or a public Wi-Fi hotspot. You can also send photos or videos to your smartphone. For more details, see the section on Built-in Wi-Fi below.
Image Recording Formats: The digital camera records still images in JPEG and RAW formats. High Definition movies are recorded in MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) format with AAC audio.
Image Sensor: The Samsung NX300 digital camera is equipped with an APS-C-sized (23.5 x 15.7mm) CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 21.6 megapixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 20.3 megapixels for high quality still images and video.
Image Sizes: The camera can record JPEG still images in a 3:2, 1:1, or 16:9 aspect ratio with three compression ratio settings (Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). HD and SD movies can be recorded in MPEG-4 (H.264) in Normal and HQ quality options. The camera offers the following still image and movie sizes:
|Photo Size||Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|20M||5472 x 3648||3:2|
|10.1M||3888 x 2592||3:2|
|5.9M||2976 x 1984||3:2|
|2M||1728 x 1152||3:2|
|16.9M||5472 x 3080||16:9|
|7.8M||3712 x 2088||16:9|
|4.9M||2944 x 1656||16:9|
|2.1M||1920 x 1080||16:9|
|13.3M||3648 x 3648||1:1|
|7.0M||2640 x 2640||1:1|
|4.0M||2000 x 2000||1:1|
|1.1M||1024 x 1024||1:1|
|Movie Size||Resolution||Aspect Ratio|
|1080/60P||1920 x 1080 (60 fps)||16:9|
|1080/30P||1920 x 1080 (30 fps)||16:9|
|1080/15P||1920 x 1080 (15 fps)||16:9|
|810/24P||1920 x 810 (24 fps)||2.35:1|
|720/60P||1280 x 720 (60 fps)||16:9|
|720/30P||1280 x 720 (30 fps)||16:9|
|480/30P||640 x 480 (30 fps)||4:3|
|240/30P||320 x 240 (30 fps)||4:3|
i Zoom: Beyond the optical zoom, the camera offers i Zoom. Photo resolution varies according to the zoom rate, resulting in photos with less deterioration than Digital zoom. i Zoom is available in the P, A, S, M, and i shooting modes. Maximum resolution at each image ratio is as follows:
|x 1.2||4560 x 3040 (13.9M)||4560 x 2568 (11.7M)||3040 x 3040 (9.2M)|
|x 1.4||3888 x 2592 (10.1M)||3888 x 2184 (8.5M)||2592 x 2592 (6.7M)|
|x 1.7||3264 x 2176 (7.1M)||3264 x 1840 (6.0M)||2176 x 2176 (4.7M)|
|x 2||2736 x 1824 (5.0M)||2736 x 1536 (4.2M)||1824 x 1824 (3.3M)|
Multi Motion: When shooting movies, you can set the playing speed of the video. If an option other than x1 is selected, no sound will be recorded. Choices include:
- x0.25: Record a video and play it at 1/4 normal speed (640 x 480 or 320 x 240 only)
- x0.5: Record a video and play it at 1/2 normal speed (1280 x 720, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240 only)
- x1: Record a video and play it at normal speed
- x5: Record a video and play it at 5x normal speed
- x10: Record a video and play it at 10x normal speed
- x20: Record a video and play it at 20x normal speed
Face Detection: With the Face Detection feature, the camera detects faces in a scene and then automatically focuses and optimizes the brightness of the face for beautiful portrait pictures. Up to 10 faces can be detected.
Recording Mode: The NX300 offers various recording modes to choose from to match your shooting preference. Using the Mode Dial on the top of the camera, you can set the mode to:
- Smart Auto: The camera recognizes surrounding conditions and automatically adjusts factors that contribute to exposure, including Shutter Speed, Aperture Value, Metering, White Balance, and Exposure Compensation. When you press the shutter release halfway, the camera selects one of 20 scenes, and automatically sets the camera to optimally capture that scene.
- Program: The camera automatically adjusts shutter speed and aperture value so an optimal exposure value can be achieved. Other adjustments can be made manually. Program Shift allows you to adjust the shutter speed and aperture value while maintaining the same exposure.
- Aperture Priority: The camera selects a shutter speed based on the aperture value you have set manually. You can adjust the depth of field by changing the aperture value.
- Shutter Priority: The camera selects an aperture value based on the shutter speed you have set manually. You can capture fast-moving subjects with a fast shutter speed or create tracer effects with a slow shutter speed.
- Manual: Adjust various camera settings including shutter speed and aperture value.
- Lens Priority Mode: You can select an appropriate scene or a filter effect to the lens you attached. With the included 20-50mm lens, available scene modes and filter effects include Beauty Shot, Portrait, Children, Backlight, Landscape, Sunset, Dawn, Beach & Snow, Night, Vignetting, Miniature, Fish-eye, Sketch, Defog, and Halftone Dots.
- Smart Mode: In Smart Mode, the camera automatically configures the optimal settings for a variety of shooting situations, including Beauty Face, Best Face, Landscape, Macro, Action Freeze, Rich Tones, Panorama, Waterfall, Silhouette, Sunset, Night, Fireworks, Light Trace, and Creative Shot.
- Wi-Fi: You can connect the camera the camera to an access point while in the range of a WLAN. Options include MobileLink, Remote Viewfinder, Social Sharing, Email, SkyDrive, Auto Backup, and TV Link.
Drive Modes: The camera offers four drive modes to suit your shooting needs:
- Single: Takes one picture only.
- Continuous: You can continuously capture photos (JPEG or RAW) while pressing the shutter release button. Continuous Normal captures up to 5 photos at 5 fps, and Continuous High captures up to 8.6 photos at 8.6 fps.
- Burst Mode: Lets you capture up to 10 shots per second for 3 seconds, 15 shots per second for 2 seconds, or 30 shots per second for 1 second when you press the shutter once in this mode. (Image Size limited to 5M only)
- Timer: The camera takes a photo after a set delay time. You can set the delay between 2-seconds and 30-seconds in 1 second increments.
- AE Bracket: Takes three pictures in a series with different exposure settings: normal exposure, Exposure -2, and Exposure +2.
- WB Bracket: Takes three pictures in a series with different White Balance settings: Normal, WB-2, and WB+2.
- Picture Wizard Bracket: The camera captures 3 consecutive photos with a different Picture Wizard Bracket: Standard, Vivid, and Retro.
Exposure Compensation: This camera automatically adjusts the exposure according the ambient light conditions. You can also select the exposure value from +3.0EV to -3.0EV in steps of 1/3EV.
Metering Mode: If you cannot obtain suitable exposure conditions, you can change the camera's metering method to take brighter pictures. You can choose from 3 modes:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
External Flash: The Samsung digital camera does not have a built-in flash, but includes the SEF8A external flash. The NX300 is also compatible with the SEF42A and SEF220A external flashes. The flash units connect to the camera's hot shoe. You can choose from the following flash modes: Smart Flash, Auto, Auto Red-eye, Fill-in, Fill-in Red-eye, 1st Curtain, 2nd Curtain, and Flash Off.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the colors to appear more natural. The camera has seven white balance modes: Auto WB, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent White, Fluorescent NW, Fluorescent Daylight, Tungsten, Flash WB, Custom Set, and Color Temperature.
ISO Sensitivity: You can select the ISO sensitivity when taking pictures. The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need for a flash. The camera lets you set the ISO sensitivity automatically or manually between ISO 100-25600 by 1 EV or 1/3 EV steps.
Optional GPS: The NX300 is compatible with the optional WGS 84 GPS Module, which will add location and time data (Geo-tagging) to your photos and videos
Instant Sharing: When you are connected to a WLAN, you can instantly upload photos and videos to photo or video sharing websites, social networks like Facebook, cloud-based services, such as Microsoft SkyDrive, or email them directly from the camera.
Direct Link: The NX300 has a dedicated Direct Link button on the top panel which turns on the Wi-Fi feature. In the menu, you can set the Direct Link button to any of the functions below.
Wi-Fi Functions: In the Wi-Fi Mode you have the following options:
- AutoShare: The AutoShare feature lets you immediately save a photo automatically to your smart device automatically via Wi-Fi.
- MobileLink: The MobileLink feature lets you select and transfer photos and videos from the camera to your smartphone. The files can be viewed and selected using the camera or the smartphone.
- Remote Viewfinder: With this feature, you can use your smartphone as a remote shutter release when connected via a WLAN. In addition to focusing and capturing the photo, you can control the flash, self-timer, photo size, saving location, and the zoom ratio.
- Auto Backup: The Auto Backup feature allows you to wirelessly transfer and store your photos and videos on your PC with the touch of a button. Once the files are backed up to your computer, you can delete them from the camera's memory card, and resume shooting. The included Intelli-studio software (Windows OS only) must be installed on your PC in order to take advantage of this feature.
- Email: You can email stored photos and videos stored on the camera.
- SNS & Cloud: You can upload photos and videos stored in the camera to social networking or cloud services.
- Allshare Play: You can upload files from the camera to AllShare Play online storage, or view files on an AllShare Play device connected to the same Access Point.
Near Field Communications (NFC): The NX300 is compatible with Near Field Communications (NFC). NFC is a set of standards for radio communication at very close proximity. By placing your NFC-enabled smartphone near the camera's NFC tag (on the left side of the monitor), the Samsung Smart Camera App on the phone will launch and connect to the camera.
Compatibility: Wi-Fi features, such as AutoShare, MobileLink, and Remote Viewfinder, are compatible with Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 4.3 or higher, and with Android devices, including Galaxy series smart phones and Galaxy Tab models, running the Android 2.2 OS. The Samsung Smart Camera app should be installed on the above devices in order to use these features. The Smart Camera app is only compatible with Samsung camera models manufactured in 2013 or later.
Quick View: If you enable the Quick View function before capturing an image, you can view the image you just captured on the camera's LCD monitor. You can set the length of time the image is displayed: 1 sec, 3 sec, 5 sec, Hold, or Off.
Thumbnail Playback: You can view multiple pictures (15 or 28) on the LCD monitor at once. Using the top-mounted jog dial control, you can increase or decrease the number of thumbnail images shown on the monitor at once.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously, at intervals of 1, 3, 5, or 10 seconds, with various slide-show effects on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to play along with your still image slide show.
Enlarging Photos: A single image can be zoomed in for a closer look. The maximum magnification varies depending upon the image size. Once the image is zoomed in, you can pan around to different areas of the image.
Movie Playback: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play, Pause, Scan backward, and Scan Forward. The Scan Backward and Scan Forward functions let you change the scan speed from 2x to 4x to 8x. You can also adjust the volume level of the playback audio.
Edit: The Samsung NX300 digital camera offers various editing features so you can manipulate your pictures right from the camera once they have been recorded. Editing tasks include cropping, rotating, resizing, or adjusting the brightness, contrast, or saturation. You can also retouch faces, reduce red-eye, and apply Smart Filter effects.
Smart Filter: You can apply various filter effects to create unique images. Smart Filter effects include: Vignetting, Miniature, Colored Pencil, Watercolor, Wash Drawing, Oil Sketch, Ink Sketch, Acryl, Negative, Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow.
PictBridge (1.0) Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer. PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of brand.
HDMI: The Samsung NX300 is equipped with a Micro HDMI (Type D) connection for playing back photos and videos on an HDTV. The output resolution can be set to 1080p, 720p, or 480p. If you have a Samsung HDTV with Anynet + (CEC), you can control the camera with the TV's remote control.
USB: The NX300 features a single proprietary connection which allows you to connect the camera to your computer or your TV. Using the supplied USB cable, you can connect the camera to your computer to transfer photos and videos.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung NX300 comes supplied with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (BP1130) which provides up to 350 still image shots, 175 minutes of still image recording, or 110 minutes of video recording. The supplied AC adapter charges the Lithium-Ion battery in the camera in approximately 210 minutes.
Power Save: This function switches the camera off after a set amount of time (of no operation) in order to prevent unnecessary battery drainage. The camera can be set to turn off after 30 seconds, 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes of no operation.
Software CD-ROM: The NX300 comes with a software CD-ROM with the following programs:
- i-Launcher: i-Launcher allows you to play back files with Multimedia Viewer. It also provides a link to download the PC Auto Backup program.
- PC Auto Backup: PC Auto Backup will send the recorded files to a connected PC via Wi-Fi.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Also included with the camera is a DVD-ROM disc with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 (compatible with Windows and Mac). With this software, you can edit RAW format photos, calibrate exposures, white balances, tone, contrasts, and colors, and save them as JPEG or TIFF images. You can also edit JPEG and TIFF files, if desired.
Compatibility: The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- i-Launcher: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP (SP2), Mac OS v10.5 or higher (except PowerPC)
- Camera As Removable Disk: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Mac OS X v10.4 or later
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
I returned this camera as it wasn't going to work for what I needed, so I am sorry I can't answer your question. But if you call Samsung they will help you. They helped me when I had a problem. The number is in the owners manual. [ XROADS FREELANC Aug 12, 2014 ]
Yes, I believe so but I have never used that feature. [ SOMER Aug 12, 2014 ]