Play, Print, and Edit Features
3" LCD Touch Panel Monitor: The Samsung ST80 digital camera features a
3" color TFT
LCD monitor with 230,000 dots with touch screen technology. With the included
touch pen, you can touch on-screen icons to select a menu or option, and drag
items left or right horizontally to scroll through photos or menu selections. On
screen icons can be displayed or hidden as desired during shooting and playback. The monitor's brightness can be set to Normal,
Dark, Bright, or Auto.
Motion Recognition: The camera has a built-in motion sensor
that allows you to quickly switch the shooting mode or playback mode by tilting
the camera. While touching the Motion Recognition icon (along the right edge of
the LCD screen), you can tilt the camera forward to switch to movie mode, left
for Smart Auto, and backward for program mode. In playback mode, you can tilt
the camera forward to set the current photo as your favorite photo, backward to
lock or unlock the current file, and left to start a slide show.
Wi-Fi Enabled: The ST80 contains Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g)
capability, enabling you to connect with a WLAN and use photo or video sharing
websites like Picasa, Facebook, YouTube, PhotoBucket, and Samsung's imaging
website. You can upload still image files up to 2M (1920 x 1080) in size and
videos up to 30 seconds in length at 320 x 240 resolution. The ST80 is also DLNA-certified
for photos and videos. With the AllShare technology, you can view and share your
photos and videos wirelessly on your DLNA-compatible HDTV. In addition, you can
send photos wirelessly via email or to another ST80 camera.
Dual Media: The Samsung ST80 digital camera can record still images
and video onto its built-in 22 MB flash memory or on microSD cards (up to 2 GB) or
microSDHC cards (up to 8 GB).
Larger card sizes are not guaranteed by Samsung.
Image Sensor: The Samsung ST80 digital camera is equipped
with a 1/2.3" CCD image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 14.5
mega-pixels and an effective pixel count of approximately 14.2 mega-pixels for
high-quality still images and video.
Image Recording Formats: The digital camera records still
images in JPEG format at 4:3 (14M, 12M, 8M, 5M, 3M, and 1M) for viewing on a 4:3
TV, 16:9 (10M and 2M) for wide screen TVs, and 3:2 aspect ratios (12M), best for
4" x 6" prints. There are three compression ratio settings for each image size
(Super Fine, Fine, and Normal). High-definition and standard-definition movies
are recorded in MPEG4-AVC (H.264) format. Movie sizes include 1280 x 720 HQ (at
30 and 15 frames per second), 1280 x 720 (30/15 fps), 640 x 480 (30/15 fps), 320
x 240 (60/30/15 fps), and 320 x 240 for sharing (30 fps).
Image Size: The image capacity of a 1 GB microSD card is as follows:
|Recorded Image Size ||Quality ||Image Capacity with 1GB microSD Card |
|14M (4:3) |
4320 x 3240
|Super Fine ||122 |
|Fine ||240 |
|Normal ||353 |
|12M (4:3) |
4000 x 3000
|Super Fine ||142 |
|Fine ||278 |
|Normal ||409 |
|12M (3:2) |
4320 x 2880
|Super Fine ||137 |
|Fine ||267 |
|Normal ||391 |
|10M (16:9) |
4320 x 2432
|Super Fine ||163 |
|Fine ||320 |
|Normal ||471 |
|8M (4:3) |
3264 x 2448
|Super Fine ||211 |
|Fine ||409 |
|Normal ||594 |
|5M (4:3) |
2560 x 1920
|Super Fine ||335 |
|Fine ||637 |
|Normal ||908 |
|3M (4:3) |
2048 x 1536
|Super Fine ||510 |
|Fine ||936 |
|Normal ||1314 |
|2M (16:9) |
1920 x 1080
|Super Fine ||762 |
|Fine ||1373 |
|Normal ||1931 |
|1M (4:3) |
1024 x 768
|Super Fine ||1626 |
|Fine ||2574 |
|Normal ||3089 |
1280 x 720 HQ
|30 fps ||13 min 30 sec |
|15 fps ||23 min 36 sec |
1280 x 720
|30 fps ||15 min 20 sec |
|15 fps ||29 min 42 sec |
640 x 480
|30 fps ||35 min 54 sec |
|15 fps ||1 hour 07 min 30 sec |
320 x 240
|60 fps ||1 hour 18 min 07 sec |
|30 fps ||2 hours 18 min 19 sec |
|15 fps ||3 hours 57 min 41 sec |
320 x 240
|30 fps ||30 sec |
Lens: The ST80 digital camera features a 3x optical zoom
lens with a focal length of 6.3 to 18.9 mm (35mm equivalent is 35-105mm). The
f-stop range is f/3.0 (W) - 5.6 (T).
Digital Zoom: In addition to the 3x optical zoom, the camera provides a
digital zoom for a total zoom of 9x for still picture shooting.
Digital Image Stabilization (DIS): The ST80 is equipped with Samsung's
Digital Image Stabilization algorithms to give you sharp, clear images.
Focus Modes: The Samsung ST80 offers the following auto
- Normal: 31.5" to infinity (W/T)
- Macro: 3.94" to 31.5" (W), 19.69" to
- Auto Macro: 3.94" to infinity (W), 19.69" to infinity (T)
Focusing Area: You can select your preferred auto focus
- Center AF: the rectangular area in the center of the
LCD monitor will be focused
- Multi AF: camera selects one or more of the 9 AF points
- Smart Touch AF: You can touch the subject on the touch
screen and track them as they
move within the frame.
- One Touch Shooting: You can touch and hold the subject
on the screen, and the camera will focus on the subject and take the
Face Detection: With the Face Detection feature, the camera detects
faces in a scene and then automatically focuses and optimizes the brightness of
the face for beautiful portrait pictures. The Face Detection feature
detects up to 10 different faces, automatically adjusts focus and brightness,
and also senses and removes red-eye. The camera offers the following Face
- Normal: This mode detects the face position of the subject
automatically and the sets the focus and exposure.
- Smile Shot: The camera automatically takes a picture by
detecting the face of the subject although you do not press the shutter
button. If you press the Shutter button, the picture is taken in the normal
way. When taking a picture with smile shot, showing teeth or keeping the
smiley face of your subject helps detecting the smile face of the subject.
- Blink Detection: If the eyes of the subject are closed when
the shutter button is pressed, the camera takes 2 continuous shots and then
the images are saved. The camera takes only one picture if the eyes of the
subject are open when the Shutter button is pressed.
Focus Lock: Use the camera's focus lock function to focus on a subject
not positioned in the center of the picture.
Drive Modes: The camera offers four drive modes to suit your
- Single: Takes on picture only.
- Continuous: Images will be taken continuously until the shutter
button is released.
- Motion Capture: This takes
6 shots per second when the shutter
button is held down. A maximum number of 30 shots can be taken and the image
sized is fixed to VGA (640 x 480).
- AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing): Takes three pictures in a series
in different exposures - standard exposure, under exposure,
and over exposure.
Self-Timer: The Samsung ST80 offers four self-timer
- 10 Sec Self-Timer: Pressing the shutter button will allows an
interval of 10 seconds before the image is taken.
- 2 Sec Self-Timer: Pressing the shutter button will allows an
interval of 2 seconds before the image is taken.
- Double Self-Timer: A picture will be taken after about 10 seconds
and 2 seconds later a second picture will be taken.
- Motion Timer: Detects your movement and takes a photo 6
Recording Mode: The ST80 offers various recording modes to
choose from to match your shooting preference, using the menu guide:
- Smart Auto: The camera automatically chooses the
appropriate camera settings based on a detected type of scene. It will
automatically select one of the 17 scene modes which best suits the environment you are shooting
- Auto: The camera lets you take a photo quickly and
easily with minimal settings.
- Program: Select this mode to manual configure all functions
of the camera, except the aperture value and shutter speed.
- Scene Modes: The ST80's various scenes modes automatically
configures the camera's optimal settings for a variety of shooting
- Night: Use this for shooting still images at night or in
other dark conditions.
- Portrait: to take a picture of a person
- Children: to take a picture of fast moving
objects, such as children
- Landscape: to take pictures of distant scenery
- Text: use this mode to shoot a document
- Close Up: close-up shooting for small objects such as plants
- Sunset: for taking pictures of sunsets
- Dawn: daybreak scenes
- Backlight: portrait without shadows caused by backlight
- Fireworks: firework scenes
- Beach&Snow: for ocean, lake, beach, and
- Frame Guide: use this mode when you want someone else to take a picture for you
from the angle you choose
- Beauty Shot: Takes a photo of a person with
options to hide facial imperfections. Two available options:
- Face Tone: this function allows you to control
the skin tone in images that will be taken with beauty shot mode;
the higher the level you select, the brighter the skin tone
- Face Retouch: this feature allow you to make
skin appear clear and beautiful before recording in beauty shot
mode, the higher the level select, the more effective the control
- Smart Scene Detection (Movies): You can select the Smart Scene Detection mode and the
camera will automatically select one of four scenes according to the
conditions: Landscapes, Blue Sky, Natural Green, and Sunset Sky.
- Movie Mode: A movie clip can be recorded (with or
without sound) for as long as the available recording time of the memory
capacity allows (up to 20 minutes).
Exposure Compensation: This camera automatically adjusts the exposure
according the ambient light conditions. You can also select the exposure value
from +2.0EV to -2.0EV in steps of 1/3EV.
Metering Mode: If you cannot obtain suitable exposure conditions, you
can change the camera's metering method to take brighter pictures. You can choose
from 3 modes:
- Multi: Exposure will be calculated based on an average of the
available light in the image area. This is suitable for general use.
- Spot: Only the rectangular area in the center of the LCD monitor
will be metered for light. This is suitable when the subject in the center
is exposed correctly, regardless of the back lighting.
- Center Weighted: Exposure will be calculated based on an average
of the available light in the image area. However, the calculation will be
biased towards the center of the image area. This is suitable for taking a
picture of small objects like a flower or insects.
Built-in Flash: The Samsung digital camera features a built-in
with a variable range based on the auto focus mode. The flash has a range of
15.75" to 11.81' (W) and 19.69" to 6.23' (T). You can choose from the
following flash modes:
- Auto Flash: If the subject or background is dark, the camera
flash will operate automatically.
- Fill In Flash: The flash fires regardless of the available light.
The intensity of the flash will be automatically controlled to suit the
- Slow Sync: The flash operates with a slow shutter speed to
obtain a balanced correct exposure.
- Red-Eye Reduction: The flash fires when the
subject or background is dark. When a shot with "red-eye" is detected, this
mode will reduce the red-eyed effect automatically.
- Red-Eye Fix: The flash fires when the subject or
background is dark, and the camera corrects red eyes through its advanced
- Flash Off: The flash does not fire.
White Balance: The white balance control allows you to adjust the
colors to appear more natural. The camera has seven white balance modes.
- Auto WB: The camera automatically selects the appropriate white
balance settings, depending on the prevailing lighting conditions.
- Daylight: For taking images outside.
- Cloudy: For taking images under a cloudy and overcast sky.
- Fluorescent H: For shooting under daylight fluorescent type of
three-way fluorescent lighting.
- Fluorescent L: Shooting under white fluorescent lighting.
- Tungsten: For shooting under tungsten (standard light bulb)
- Custom Set: Allows you to set the white balance according to the
ISO Sensitivity: You can select the ISO
sensitivity when taking pictures. The speed or specific light-sensitivity of a
camera is rated by ISO numbers. A higher ISO setting allows for faster
shutter speed, so you can take photos indoors or in low light without the need
for a flash. The camera features the following ISO settings - Auto, 80, 100,
200, 400, 800, 1600, and 3200.
Photo Style Selector: You can add various effects to an
image you are about to record without using image editing software. You can
choose from Normal, Soft, Vivid, Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative,
or Custom RGB.
Image Adjust: You can adjust the Contrast, Sharpness, and Saturation
of a recorded image.
Note: You cannot check the Image Adjustment effect on the camera's
LCD monitor before you take a picture, because this function is applied only
when the capture image is stored on the memory.
Voice Recording: You can make a monaural voice recording for as long as the
available memory (up to 10 hours). A voice memo of up to 10 seconds can be
recorded in a photo.
Play, Print, and Edit Features
Quick View: If you enable the Quick View function before capturing an
image, you can view the image you just captured on the camera's LCD monitor for
the set duration of 0.5, 1, or 3 seconds.
Smart Album: Recorded
content can be categorized by file type (picture, video, or voice), date, color,
week, favorite, or face (up to 20); allowing you to easily retrieve them on the camera when you want to view
Thumbnail Playback: You can view multiple pictures (9 or 16) on the
LCD monitor at once.
Slide Show: Images can be displayed continuously, at intervals
of 1, 3, 5, or 10 seconds,
with various slide-show effects
on the camera's LCD monitor. The camera offer pre-recorded background music to
play along with your still image slide show.
Movie Playback: You can playback a movie clip on the camera's LCD
monitor. The camera offers basic playback functions such as Play, Pause, Scan
and Scan Forward. You can also adjust the volume level of the playback audio.
Copy To Card: This feature enables you to copy image files, movie
clips, and voice recording files from the camera's internal memory to an
inserted memory card.
Movie Clip Capture: You can capture still images from a recorded movie
clip. The captured movie clip file will be saved as the same size as the
original movie clip (1280 x 720, 640 x 480 or 320 x 240).
Edit: The Samsung ST80 digital camera offers various editing features
so you can manipulate your pictures right from the camera once they have been
- Resize: You can change the
resolution (size) of a pictures taken to a smaller size.
- Image Rotation: You can rotate and image 360-degrees in 90-degree
- Photo Style Selector: It is possible to add
various effects to your recorded images, such as Normal, Soft, Vivid,
Forest, Retro, Cool, Calm, Classic, Negative, and Custom RGB.
- Image Adjust: You can adjust the following elements of
a recorded image:
- ACB (Auto Contrast Balance): You can automatically adjust the brightness of the dark area
of a recorded image, caused by under exposure to the light source.
- Red-Eye Fix: The red-eye effect can be removed from a
- Face Retouch: You can make the skin in a recorded image appear
more clear and beautiful.
- Add Noise Effect: You can add noise to a recorded image to add an
more classic feel to your photo.
Protecting Images: This is used to protect specific shots from being
Exif Print (Exif 2.21): The ST80 conforms to "Exif Print," a
worldwide standard. Vital camera settings (such as: exposure mode, white
balance, exposure time) and scene data are recorded to the image file when it is
captured. Printers compatible with "Exif Print" are able to use this information
to produce high quality photographs, exactly the way they were intended at the
time of capture. This intelligent communication process also allows the printer
to correct for poor lighting or mistakes, resulting in photos that can be even
better than the originals.
DPOF (1.1) Transfer Order: You can use the camera to specify
settings for images that you wish to download to a computer. The settings used
on the camera comply with the Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) standards.
PictBridge (1.0) Printing Capability: Using the supplied USB
cable, you can connect this camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer.
PictBridge is a new standard that allows you to connect a PictBridge compliant
camera directly to a PictBridge compliant printer and make prints, regardless of
AV/USB Proprietary Output: The Samsung ST80 features a single
proprietary port which allows you to connect the camera to your computer via the included
USB type-A cable. To connect the camera to a TV, you'll need the optional A/V
cable (CB20A12). The video output can be set to NTSC or PAL.
This proprietary output along with the supplied USB cable can be used to
recharge the battery (in the camera) using the supplied AC adapter.
Note: The ST80 does not have an HDMI output.
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery: The Samsung ST80 comes
supplied with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (BP-70A) which provides up to
200 still image shots or 80 minutes of movie recording. The supplied AC adapter
and USB cable charges the Lithium-Ion battery in approximately 150 minutes.
Auto Power Off: This function switches the camera off after a set
amount of time (of no operation) in order to prevent unnecessary battery
drainage. The camera can be set to turn off after 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes of no
Supplied Software: The Samsung ST80 comes supplied with
built-in Intelli-Studio software, as well as a
CD-ROM which contains the full User Manual. Intelli-Studio is compatible only with Windows operating systems. It does not
work with Macintosh computers. The minimum requirements for loading Intelli-Studio
- CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or higher or AMD Athlon FX 2.6 GHz
- RAM: Minimum 512 MB (1 GB and above recommended)
- Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Vista, 7
- Hard Disc Drive: 250 MB or more (1 GB or more recommended)
- CD-ROM drive
- nVIDIA Geforce 7600GT or higher/ATI X1600 series or higher
- 1024 x 768 pixels, 16-bit color display compatible monitor (1280 x
1024 pixels, 32-bit display recommended)
- USB port, Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or later
Mass Storage Device: You can use the camera as a Mass Storage Device
and download images to your computer if the computer is using one of the
following operating systems:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Mac OS 10.4 or later