Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Parrot ASTEROID Mini
In-car multimedia system with Bluetooth®
Watch a product review
Crutchfield: Parrot ASTEROID Mini
Item # 333ASTRDMN | MFR # Asteroid Mini
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Parrot ASTEROID Mini by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
We carry cell phone kit harnesses that allow plug-in connection of Parrot's Bluetooth car kits in a wide variety of vehicles.
Let your factory radio do more
Looking to upgrade your car's connectivity but can't remove your factory radio? Parrot's ASTEROID Mini multimedia system with Bluetooth offers you the same handy features you'll find in their ASTEROID in-dash digital media receiver, but with a 3.2" screen that you can mount on your dash or another convenient location in your vehicle. You'll enjoy access to apps for maps and points of interest, traffic information, and Internet radio, along with Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling. Voice recognition allows for control of most functions by speaking naturally, a huge plus for smartphone users who want to get the most out of their device in the car.
Your phone ties into the ASTEROID Mini through its three main components. The 3.2" color display shows you what's happening with your apps, music, and phone conversations. The wireless remote control lets you guide the action easily from the dash or your steering wheel with touch controls for phone, music, and app functions. The remote runs on battery power, or you can hard-wire it to your vehicle's fuse box, giving you the added benefit of backlit buttons. The hideaway control box sits behind your dash and provides the system's brains, plus A/V and data connections, as well as audio enhancements.
Two more items round out the ASTEROID Mini package. The stereo microphone features noise-cancellation technology so others can hear you clearly and the voice-recognition software can work efficiently. The GPS antenna connects to the control box and lets the Mini know where you are.
Ideal for smartphones
The ASTEROID Mini is built to work with your smartphone. It isn't a web browser, but it can connect to the Internet via your phone to supply info to web-based apps and to load new apps. The apps are built on the Android™ platform, but you don't need an Android smartphone to use the ASTEROID's apps. You can connect either using your smartphone's Bluetooth tether or your mobile provider's 3G or 4G USB dongle (smartphone and data plan required for either option). Apps for mapping, points of interest, traffic, weather, Internet radio, music, news, and more are available through Parrot's ASTEROID Market on Google Play, and you can expect many new apps in the future.
Superb phone integration
Parrot's known for reliable Bluetooth connectivity, so you can expect exceptional performance from the ASTEROID Mini, whether it's for hands-free calling or music streaming. You can pair up to 10 phones with the ASTEROID Mini. More importantly, it'll manage calls through two different phones simultaneously, so you can access your business and personal mobile devices in the car without having to miss a call.
The ASTEROID Mini synchronizes your phone book and sets up voice recognition automatically — simply tap the phone button and say the name of the person you'd like to call. Relevant info from your phone is easy to see on the 3.2" display.
Multiple USB inputs
The ASTEROID Mini's control box gives you three handy USB slots — one is dedicated to your iPhone®, leaving two free for a variety of media and adapters, like thumb drives or a 3G web dongle. Connect your iPod®, and you can use the wireless remote to breeze through its music library. The ASTEROID Mini's display screen also features an SD card slot so you can play tunes on the go without connecting any external devices.
The Parrot ASTEROID Mini's 3.2" color display gives you all the info you need.
Voice recognition for music and text
Parrot makes it safer to change tunes while you're driving. Just tap the voice-recognition button on the remote, tell the ASTEROID Mini the name of an artist or album, and it'll search any connected devices to find what you're looking for. You can also use a subscription-based service that lets you dictate and send text messages using the ASTEROID Mini's voice controls.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility with this receiver may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
iPod Note: If you're going to use your iPod or iPhone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
What's in the Box:
- 3.2" Color-screen display
- Remote control
- Hide-away box. GPS receiver/antenna (attached 58" cable terminated by a USB type-A connector)
- Wiring harness
- 6.5' Color-screen connector cable
- 10.5' Wired-remote cable
- 7" iPod cable (with a 30-pin dock connector on one end and a male USB type-A connector on other end)
- 46" USB extension cable (male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 58" USB extension cable (male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- Dual microphone with bracket (attached 9.75' cord terminated by a 2.5mm connector)
- Sun-visor clip
- Self-adhesive mounting bracket
- CR2032 3V lithium battery
- 3 Wire-ties
- Two-sided tape
- Quick Start Guide
- Registration Guide
- in-car multimedia controller
- 3.2" TFT color screen and docking cradle
- wireless remote control with mounting bracket
- hideaway control box
- external microphone, iPod cable, ISO cable, external GPS antenna (does not provide turn-by-turn directions), and 2 USB cables
- built-in Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free calling and music streaming
- 3 USB connections on control box (one is dedicated to iPod/iPhone)
- two 3.5mm line-level outputs on control box
- 3.5mm auxiliary input on control box
- built-in SD card slot on rear of screen
- allows in-car use of Parrot ASTEROID Market apps (3G connection and data plan required)
- voice control of some functions
- can pair with up to 10 Bluetooth devices and manage calls from 2 different devices simultaneously
- automatic phonebook synchronization (up to 5,000 contacts per device)
- can connect to Internet via 3G/4G dongle or tethering mobile phone via Bluetooth
- plays audio files from USB memory devices, SD cards, and phones
- voice control for music selection
- 7-band parametric equalizer
- Virtual Super Bass effect
Other features and specs:
- screen: 3-3/4"W x 2-1/8"H x 9/16"D; remote control: 1-5/8"W x 2-1/2"H x 1"D; control box: 5-15/16"W x 1-3/16"H x 4-1/2"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Parrot ASTEROID Mini Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Internet 3G Applications
3.2" Color-Screen Display: The Parrot Asteroid Mini includes a 3.2" color-screen display which allows you to view setting menus, phonebook contacts, music song/artist info with album art, internet applications, and more. You can adjust the 3.2" color screen's brightness and switch from Day or Night mode. The Asteroid Mini comes with a self-adhesive mounting bracket to install the color-screen display on the dash of your vehicle. Once the color-screen display is mounted, it can be adjusted on the ball-and-socket bracket for best visibility.
Note: The color-screen display measures 3.75" (w) x 2.125" (h) x 0.5625" (d).
Remote Control: The Parrot Asteroid Mini comes with a remote control which features 11-buttons and a rotary dial. The remote operates every function of the Asteroid Mini. The remote control can be mounted to your dash via its integrated self-adhesive bracket (within arms-reach of the driver). The remote can operate off of the included CR2032 3V battery, or by using the included power cable to connect it to the Asteroid Mini's hide-away box.
Note: The remote control measures 1.625" (w) x 2.5" (h) x 1.0" (d).
Hide-Away Box: The Parrot Asteroid Mini also includes a hide-away box which contains most the device's connections (3 USB Ports, Line-In, 2 Line-Outs, Display connector, Remote-connector, Wiring-harness). The hide-away box can be located behind your vehicle's factory radio or under the dash.
Note: The hide-away box measures 5.9375" (w) x 1.1875" (h) x 4.5" (d).
Installation: Installing the Parrot Asteroid Mini is done by inserting it between your car's factory stereo and speaker system. The Asteroid Mini can be installed in almost any vehicle audio system and is fitted with ISO connectors. However, the majority of North American car manufacturers use other types of connectors. Many professional installers work around this by simply splicing the Asteroid Mini's wiring harness into the factory audio system. Others, however, prefer to use a T-harness solution that can make installing the Parrot Asteroid Mini a lot simpler. Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible and if there is a T-harness adapter available.
Note: Although not required for installation, the T-harness does simplify the installation. Inexperienced installers may have difficulty hardwiring the kit without the T-harness adapter. You can download car installation example guides from Parrot Support.
Steering Wheel Control Interface: A steering wheel control interface (333UNIKA, sold separately) can be used to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to the Parrot Asteroid Mini. With this interface, you will be able to make phone calls via the steering wheel controls while keeping your hands on the wheel. This steering wheel control interface is compatible with over 200 vehicle models from 34 different automotive brands.
Android OS: The Parrot Asteroid Mini features an embedded Android 1.5 operating system which allows the use of downloadable Internet applications & navigation services from the Asteroid Market, thanks to its 3G and GPS capabilities.
Note: Use of the Parrot Asteroid Mini's Internet apps requires the use of a 3G Network USB dongle (sold separately) or Bluetooth-enabled smartphone which is 3G compatible.
Internet 3G Compatible: The Parrot Asteroid Mini can connect to the Internet using either a 3G Network USB dongle (sold separately) or using a compatible Bluetooth-enabled smartphone's 3G data sharing network connection.
- 3G Internet/USB dongle: Click here for 3G Stick Compatibility. To guarantee optimal reception, Parrot recommends you do not connect your 3G Internet USB dongle on the Parrot Asteroid Mini directly; use the USB cable to install your device on the dashboard (or any other open area).
- Bluetooth-Enabled 3G smartphone: Click here for compatible Bluetooth-enabled 3G smartphones.
GPS Receiver/Antenna: The Parrot Asteroid Mini includes an external GPS receiver/antenna module which plugs into a USB port on back of the hide-away box. The GPS receiver/antenna module works in conjunction with the unit's navigation & driver assistance apps. The GPS receiver/antenna module should be installed in a unobstructed area along your vehicle's dashboard.
Internet Apps from the Asteroid Market: Several types of Internet Apps (music, geo-location, driver assistance, weather, etc) from the Asteroid Market can be downloaded onto the Parrot Asteroid Mini, using an SD-card. First you will need to create an Asteroid Market account and register your device from your computer. Once you have registered the Asteroid Mini, you can then download applications from the Asteroid Market onto an SD-card inserted into your computer. Once you have finished downloading the apps you want, insert the SD-card into the Asteroid Mini receiver to upload the new applications.
Note: The Parrot Asteroid Mini is a multitasking device, so several applications can run simultaneously. To ensure that you do not continue to use 3G data, make sure to close applications. The use of some applications may require a fee or need a subscription. All applications may not be available in all countries.
Travel Apps: The Parrot Asteroid Mini offers several travel type applications to help you along your drive.
- Maps (free): The Maps application informs you about traffic, gives you POI's around your current location, and even offers to guide you to them via its on-screen map. This app does not offer turn-by-turn audible directions.
- Roadtrip (free): Roadtrip is an application combining
the beautiful photos of Panoramio, tourist information from Wikipedia, and
Google Maps. It allows you to (1) Be alerted of tourist points of interest
around your location (2) Receive information on tourist places of interest
(3) Hear the summary of the point of interest and weather forecast vocally (4) To call some points of interest and even goes to them.
- Waze GPS (free): A cool social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. Waze is a fun, community-based traffic & navigation app, 30 million strong. Join forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time & gas money, and improve everyone's daily commute. With community-generated real-time traffic, you'll always get the best route to your destination. By simply driving around with Waze open, you're already contributing tons real-time traffic & road info to your local driving community. You can also actively report accidents, hazards, police and other events you see on the road, and get road alerts coming up on your route too.
- Wikango HD US (free download + subscription): The Wikango HD application legally notifies you of the presence of mobile speed cameras, as well as of road traffic incidents and disruptions. Its operating principle is community-based; you are notified of the presence of speed cameras after another Wikango community member sees one and then reports it. 6 months of Wikango service is included free of charge. Additional 12 months service is $24.99.
- Best Parking (free): BestParking is a free parking search engine that steers drivers toward the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 55 cities and 80 airports throughout North America.
Weather App (free): The Weather app informs you of conditions and weather forecasts for several days around your position or in any city on the world.
Internet Radio: The Parrot Asteroid Mini provides access to TuneIn and Spotify online music services.
- TuneIn Radio App (free): TuneIn is a free way to listen to music, sports and news from every corner of the earth, with over 70,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs.
- Spotify (free download + $9.99 monthly subscription): Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends.
Roadhub: Roadhub is a Business app for your car, connected to your Salesforce CRM/Business tools. Features include (1) Calls- Know who to call, call, and plan a call-back. Each call is logged into your CRM. (2) Chatter Feeds - Get news, new client messages, etc. from your colleagues. Listen to each Chatter feed with Text-to-speech, 'like' a feed, call-back your colleague or a client
Bluetooth Technology: The Parrot Asteroid Mini features built-in Bluetooth (ver. 2.1+EDR) for advanced hands-free communication & wireless audio streaming. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), HSP 1.0 (Handset Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: The Parrot Asteroid is 100% Bluetooth compatible with virtually every Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, smartphone, PDA, & tablet (including Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, and Blackberry). You can visit the Parrot Support Site to confirm that your cell phone is compatible.
Pairing: You can pair up to 10 devices with the Parrot Asteroid Mini. The Asteroid Mini allows you to use the telephone & audio streaming functions from two different smartphones without having to disconnect one of them.
Hands-Free Communication: The Parrot Asteroid Mini supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The remote control of the Asteroid Mini can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. You can listen to phone calls through your vehicle's speakers and talk through the Asteroid Mini's external microphone. The Parrot Asteroid Mini can retrieve phonebook contacts, and call history from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone.
- Receiving A Call: An incoming call is indicated by a ringtone. The name of the caller is announced, if the number is recorded in the phonebook of the phone connected to the Parrot Asteroid Mini. When a call comes in, the Asteroid Mini automatically mutes your car stereo and the caller's voice comes through your vehicle's front speakers. All the call information from the phone is displayed on the unit's 3.2" color-screen display. You can answer or reject a call from the remote control or using voice commands "Accept" & "Reject".
- Dialing A Number: Using Parrot Asteroid, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Phonebook Access: The Asteroid Mini allows you to upload your phonebook from your Bluetooth enabled phone, so calls can be launched simply by browsing your phonebook. Each time you add a contact name, the Asteroid Mini automatically synchronizes your cell phonebook. The Asteroid Mini can support up to 50,000 total contacts (5,000 per paired phone). *Only the contacts stored in the phone memory are synchronized. If your contacts are stored in your SIM card memory, transfer them onto your phone memory.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by your phone that you can dial from the unit. You can select Dialed, Received, or Missed calls.
- Voice Recognition: You can make a call using voice recognition. Simply say the contact's name and type of number (home, cell, work, etc.). The call is then automatically launched if the voice command is understood.
Note: To follow on your conversation in private, you can switch instantaneously the communication between the Asteroid Mini and your Bluetooth mobile phone.
Call Waiting & Caller ID: During a call, you can receive another call if your phone supports this functionality. If your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone supports Caller I.D., the caller's name (if in phonebook) will be announced to you over your vehicle's speakers. The Asteroid Mini also displays the name (if in phonebook).
Double External Microphone: The Parrot Asteroid Mini features an external double microphone with noise reduction (NR 3.0), echo cancellation (AEC), and full duplex operation which provides crystal clear calls at normal conversation level. The microphone features an integrated adjustable mounting bracket with an adhesive backing. The integrated bracket also features a mounting hole to attach the microphone with an optional self-tapping screw. In addition, the microphone comes supplied with a visor clip to mount to your vehicle's sun-visor. The ideal location for the microphone is near the rear-view mirror. The microphone needs to be pointed towards the user.
Note: You can mute the head unit's microphone so you can still hear the caller, but the caller cannot hear you.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Parrot Asteroid Mini also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The Asteroid Mini will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music and music apps; such as Play/Pause & Skip Next/Previous. The head unit will also display your stored music and music apps song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. Advanced music control of your music will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. All audio will played back through your car's speakers (front & back).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB Memory/SD-Card Compatible: The Parrot Asteroid Mini supports playback of USB mass storage class devices and SD/SDHC memory cards.
- 3 USB Ports: The Parrot Asteroid Mini's hide-away box is equipped with 3 USB (type-A) ports. The USB (type-A) ports can be used to connect the included GPS receiver/antenna for navigation, a 3G Network USB dongle for access to Internet apps, and a USB memory device or iPod/iPhone for music playback. The Asteroid is compatible with the majority of 3G Network USB dongles, Android smartphones, iPod/iPhones, portable digital audio players, USB thumbdrives, and external hard drives. Use the included 5' USB extension cable to make connecting & disconnecting your USB device or Internet (3G) USB dongle easier.
- SD-Card Slot: The Parrot Asteroid Mini's color-screen display is equipped with a side-panel SD-card slot. The SD-card slot supports playback of music files stored on SD or SDHC memory cards (up to 32GB). mini SD/SDHC & micro SD/SDHC memory cards are compatible with adapter (sold separately).
Compatible Audio Formats: The Parrot Asteroid Mini supports playback MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and OGG music files loaded onto a compatible USB mass storage class device or SD/SDHC memory card (formatted in FAT32).
Apple Device Direct Connection: Any of the Parrot Asteroid Mini's USB ports can be used to connect your iPod/iPhone to the unit, via the included iPod cable or the connector cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the unit. The Asteroid supports audio playback of stored music from your iPod/iPhone device and music apps from your compatible iPhone.
Note: Several minutes of loading may be necessary when connecting your audio device (USB/SD/iPod) to the Parrot Asteroid Mini for the first time, particularly if you are using audio peripheral with a large capacity or containing many audio files. This loading time will allow your audio files to be accessible via voice recognition.
Music Control: You can browse your USB device, SD/SDHC-Card, and iPod/iPhone music files by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Playlist. Once you have selected a category, the music content is listed alphabetically.
Voice Recognition: The Voice Recognition function allows you to select the artist/album you want to hear via voice recognition. You can simply access your music by pronouncing the name of the artist/album stored in your music library and the music will be launched automatically. This function is only available if you are using the Parrot Asteroid Mini with a USB, SD, or iPod/iPhone device.
Information Display: The Asteroid Mini will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music app song/artist information. The unit will also display ID3-tags and WMA-tags from USB mass storage class devices and SD/SDHC memory cards.
Charging: USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. The unit also charges your connected iPod/iPhone device (but not the iPad). If your device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Parrot Asteroid is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone/iPad model functions (as of 2/28/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connectivity||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Dock||Bluetooth||3G||Audio||Video||Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Song Info||Track #|
- *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4 or iPad mini; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output)
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Software/Firmware Updates (via USB): You can download the latest software/firmware updates for free from the Parrot Support website via a USB thumbdrive. The USB thumbdrive (containing the software/firmware download) is then inserted into the Asteroid Mini's USB (type-A) port. These updates will enable you to receive new features & improve the product's compatibility. The tested Parrot Asteroid Mini contained firmware/software version 1.0.0 (as of 2/28/2013).
MOSFET Amplifier: The Parrot Asteroid Mini is equipped with a 40W (Peak) x 4Ch MOSFET amplifier. You can use the Asteroid Mini's built-in amplifier to power your factory audio system, or bypass its built-in amp and keep your vehicle's factory amplification.
Equalizer: The Parrot Asteroid Mini allows you to adjust low, medium, and high frequencies to your preferences. 10 EQ presets (Off, Vocal, Pop, Club, Punchy, Deep, Crystal, Custom 1/2/3) are available. The Custom presets activate the 7-band EQ (60, 150, 400, 1k, 2k, 6k, 15k Hz).
Virtual Super Bass Effect: The Virtual Super Bass effect amplifies bass frequencies. The Cutoff Frequency setting allows you to select the bass cutoff frequency for the speakers (the lowest frequency that the speakers can generate naturally). The Virtual Super Bass will then reproduce the frequencies that are lower than this cutoff frequency. The Effect Intensity setting allows you to adjust the level of bass frequencies generated by the Virtual Super Bass effect.
Loudness: The Loudness function is a dynamic adjustment of bass & treble based on listening volume. This function compensates for the human ear's loss of sensitivity to bass & treble frequencies when the volume is low.
Audio Connections: The Parrot Asteroid Mini is equipped with an 3.5mm auxiliary input and two 3.5mm line-level outputs on the rear-panel of its hide-away box.
- AUX Input: The Parrot Asteroid Mini's hide-away box is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting an external audio player (such as a portable MP3 player). Audio cable not included.
- Dual Line-Level Outputs: The Parrot Asteroid Mini's hide-away box contains two 3.5mm line-level outputs (front & rear) that connect to the line-level inputs of an external amplifier in your car audio system. Audio cables not included. Most external amplifiers feature RCA line-level inputs, so you will need a minijack-to-RCA adapter or cable.
- Speaker-Level Outputs: The included wiring harness contains speaker-level output leads to tie into your vehicle's factory audio system.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.