Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Parrot ASTEROID Smart
Digital media receiver with GPS navigation (does not play CDs)
Our take on the Parrot ASTEROID Smart by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
Advanced in-dash wireless fun
Parrot's multi-talented ASTEROID Smart digital media receiver keeps you connected on the road, runs your mobile audio show, and even gets you where you need to go with built-in GPS navigation.
This double-DIN receiver features a 6.2" capacitive touchscreen that uses the same technology as current popular tablets and smartphones, so it's really easy to use and it works with nearly every type of smartphone. You can customize this receiver with apps to access all kinds of travel and entertainment options on your journey. Compatible apps include Internet radio, music on demand, points of interest, driver assistance, traffic, text-to-speech for emails and texts, and more.
Find your way around with included maps and GPS navigation
Once you connect the included GPS antenna, the ASTEROID Smart will give you turn-by-turn directions to your destination, and you can follow the action on the big display as you listen to the voice prompts over your car's speakers.
Parrot includes an SD card with maps of the entire United States, plus Canada and Puerto Rico. You'll have access to a wealth of points of interest for dining, shopping, lodging, fuel, and more. Text-to-speech voice guidance and lane indicators on the map lead the way so you won't have to worry about missing the next maneuver.
You can use some of the compatible apps to find more information about parking or particular points of interest, including phone numbers for making reservations. Use your fingers to manipulate the capacitive touchscreen and make the maps appear the way you like.
A wealth of USB inputs
The ASTEROID Smart gives you four convenient USB slots — one is dedicated for your Apple portable device, leaving three free for a variety of media and adapters, like thumb drives or a 3G/4G web dongle. Connect your iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® with the included extension cable, and you can breeze through its music library using the ASTEROID's touchscreen. Advanced voice recognition lets you find your music by artist or album by speaking naturally.
More music control
There's no disc player in the ASTEROID Smart, but you do get a wealth of other music options, like an SD card slot and the aforementioned USB inputs. The receiver also offers a rear aux-in jack for any sort of external audio source. To make it all sound great, you get a 7-band equalizer, a Virtual SuperBass sound enhancement, and a powerful built-in amplifier. If you're into more power, you'll appreciate the three sets of 6-volt preamp outputs that deliver a strong, clean signal to your amps.
The receiver can manage two phones simultaneously
This digital media receiver will not play CDs. If you want to play CDs in your vehicle, we offer a wide selection of CD receivers.
The ASTEROID Smart's ready to connect to your smartphone with advanced Bluetooth 3.0.for convenience and ease of use. You can pair up to ten devices with the receiver, and it can manage two phones at the same time. It'll automatically sync with phones, giving you instant access to your phone book, and you'll see all caller info on the display. The included echo-canceling microphone allows for easy-to-follow conversations without taking your hands off the wheel. Want to stream music? The ASTEROID Smart works with just about any Bluetooth smartphone.
You'll find a dedicated input on the ASTEROID Smart for a rear-view camera, so you can back out of tight spots safely. It also offers RCA video inputs and outputs for sharing video content when you're parked.
Rear view of the Parrot ASTEROID Smart digital receiver
Note: The ASTEROID Smart accesses the Internet using your phone's data connection through Bluetooth, USB tethering, a 3G/4G dongle, or Wi-Fi® (smartphone and data plan required). You won't be able to browse the web, but you can download apps from the Parrot ASTEROID Market online to the receiver. The apps work through the receiver's Android™ 2.3 operating system, but do not control your smartphone in any way. Some apps may require additional purchase or subscription fees.
Note: Bluetooth compatibility with this receiver may vary, depending on your phone and service provider.
iPod/smartphone Note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
This stereo does everything I expected and more! It is so nice to have Android in the dash. Startup time is surprisingly fast.
MattL, Pittsburgh, PA
What's in the Box:
- Digital media receiver (w/ detachable control-panel)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- 8GB Map SDHC card
- GPS receiver/antenna (attached 58" cable terminated by a USB type-A connector)
- Dual microphone with bracket (attached 9.75' cord terminated by a 2.5mm connector)
- Sun-visor clip
- 7" iPod cable (with a 30-pin dock connector on one end and a male USB type-A connector on other end)
- 46" USB extension cable (male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 58" USB extension cable (male USB type-A connector on one end and a female USB type-A connector on other end)
- 8' Light-green wire (brake)
- 3 Wire-ties
- Quick Start Guide
- Registration Guide
- Asteroid Market sheet
- digital media receiver with GPS navigation and AM/FM tuner (doesn't play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (23 watts RMS/55 watts peak x 4 channels)
- 6.2" capacitive touchscreen WVGA display with removable faceplate
- fits double-DIN openings
- built-in Bluetooth 3.0 for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in Wi-Fi connectivity
- Android operating system for apps (3G connection and data plan required)
- Included SD card with built-in maps of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- text-to-speech announces actual street names at turns
- lane guidance and junction view
- speed limit and safety zone warnings
- plays audio files from USB memory devices and SD cards
- voice control for music selection
- 7-band equalizer with 5 presets
- Virtual SuperBass effect
- iPod/iPhone/iPad direct control (see "Details" for compatibility)
- inputs: 4 rear USB inputs, rear RCA and minijack aux inputs, rear RCA A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (6-volt front, rear, subwoofer), RCA A/V output
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Parrot ASTEROID Smart Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, SD/SDHC memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||23 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||6 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
6.2" Capacitive Touchscreen Display: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features a 6.2" capacitive touchscreen widescreen (16:9) display. The unit's touchscreen features interactive controls & icons making menu navigation easy. You can adjust the touchscreen's brightness and switch from Day or Night mode.
Detachable Control Panel: The Parrot Asteroid features a detachable control-panel (power-button) to deter theft. No face case is included.
Start-Up Time: The Parrot Asteroid has a start-up time of approximately 22.7 seconds from Off to the Main Menu screen, and another 14.4 seconds to the iGo Primo navigation map (for a total start-up time of 37.1 seconds).
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the display of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire (within the harness) must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. You cannot view video unless your vehicle's parking brake is engaged. Some advanced menu options and apps are not available, unless parking brake is engaged. While your vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still control music sources, view song/artist information and album artwork from music sources, control Bluetooth functions, and use the navigation on-screen map.
Note: All functions requiring increased attention should only be used while your vehicle is stationary. Driver & passenger safety, along with the safety of fellow drivers should take priority over phone calls, music, & navigation instructions.
2-DIN Chassis: The Parrot Asteroid Smart has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets, or Euro-mounted using the supplied mounting sleeve. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
iGo Primo Navigation: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features built-in iGo Primo navigation software that provides turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to direct your destination. The built-in software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included navigation map. The map database is stored on the included 8GB SD-card and contains map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Canada, and Puerto Rico. *The included 8GB SD-card must remain installed during navigation. If removed, navigation map will be lost.
Note: Car navigation maps are frequently updated. While this database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release, a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
GPS Receiver/Antenna: The Parrot Asteroid Smart includes an external GPS receiver/antenna module which plugs into a USB port on back of the head unit. The GPS receiver/antenna module works in conjunction with the unit's built-in navigation and driver assistance apps. The GPS receiver/antenna module should be installed in a unobstructed area along your vehicle's dashboard.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an magenta line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 2D/3D Map Mode: The Android Smart allows you to view its on-screen map in a 2D (two-dimensional) or 3D (three-dimensional) view. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color. In 3D mode, you can see the altitude and elevations differences. You can distinguish between valleys, mountains, and elevated roads. In selected cities 3D landmarks and 3D buildings are also displayed.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Parrot Asteroid Smart's navigation map offers helpful lane information & signpost guidance.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Exit Services: While navigation a route, you can find gas, food, lodging, and restrooms near upcoming exits. Services are listed under the following categories - Gas, Food, Lodging, and Restrooms. You must be on a major highway or road to use this feature.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings cannot distract you.
Audible Alerts: The Parrot Asteroid Smart offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely.
- Voice Guidance (Text-to-Speech): In addition to graphic directions, the Asteroid Smart provides voice guidance and turn-by-turn directions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The Asteroid Smart provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Where Am I?: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available).
Destination Search: The Destination Search Menu gives you many different ways to choose your destination or insert a waypoint in your current route. An on-screen keyboard appears to allow you to enter your destination from one of the following categories:
|Find on Map||Search for a destination by scrolling the map display.|
|Find Address||Enter full/partial address, or Search for a city (central location), or Search for the intersection of two roads.|
|Find Places||Search for points-of-interest (POIs) by name or category near last know position, along route, around destination, or specific city.|
|Favorites||Store your favorite locations for easy recall.|
|History||Destinations that you have set previously|
|Waypoints||You can add intermediate destinations along your main route.|
Route Calculation: The Parrot Asteroid Smart calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Truck, Emergency, Bus, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method
(Fastest, Shortest, Green, Economical, or Easy) the navigation unit should
use when calculating your route.
- Fastest: give a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Shortest: gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Itinerary: You can view turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns.
Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Android OS: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features an embedded Android 2.3.7 operating system which allows the use of downloadable Internet applications & navigation services from the Asteroid Market, thanks to its 3G, WiFi, and GPS capabilities.
Note: Use of the Parrot Asteroid Smart's Internet apps requires the use of a 3G Network USB dongle (sold separately), Bluetooth-enabled smartphone which is 3G compatible, or a nearby WiFi hotspot.
Internet 3G & WiFi Compatible: The Parrot Asteroid Smart can connect to the Internet using either a 3G Network USB dongle (sold separately) or using a compatible Bluetooth-enabled smartphone's 3G data sharing network connection. When your vehicle is stopped, the unit can also connect to the Internet via its built-in WiFi when in close proximity to a WiFi hotspot.
- 3G Internet/USB dongle: Click here for 3G Stick Compatibility. To guarantee optimal reception, Parrot recommends you do not connect your 3G Internet USB dongle on the Parrot Asteroid Smart directly; use the USB cable to install your device on the dashboard (or any other open area).
- Bluetooth-Enabled 3G Smartphone: Click here for compatible Bluetooth enabled 3G smartphones.
- Built-in WiFi: Built-in WiFi for connection to available WiFi hotspots around your area (vehicle must be stopped).
Internet Apps from the Asteroid Market: Several types of Internet Apps (music, geo-location, driver assistance, weather, etc) from the Asteroid Market can be downloaded onto the Parrot Asteroid Smart, using an SD-card. First you will need to create an Asteroid Market account and register your device from your computer. Once you have registered the Asteroid Smart, you can then download applications from the Asteroid Market onto an SD-card inserted into your computer. Once you have finished downloading the apps you want, insert the SD-card into the Asteroid Smart receiver to upload the new applications.
Note: The Parrot Asteroid is a multitasking device, so several applications can run simultaneously. To ensure that you do not continue to use 3G data, make sure to close applications. The use of some applications may require a fee or need a subscription. All applications may not be available in all countries.
Travel Apps: The Parrot Asteroid Smart offers several travel type applications to help you along your drive.
- Maps (free): The Maps application provides you with advanced mapping & geo-location functions, free of charge. Your position is displayed on the head unit's 6.2" touchscreen, which can be zoomed in/out. You can select from various Point-of Interest types (hotels, cinemas, restaurants etc.). The unit will then display points-of-interest (from the selected category) near your current position on the map. You can also enter a point-of-interest manually, by using the unit's touchscreen display. Once you have chosen a specific point-of-interest, you can either call that point of interest from your connected Bluetooth enabled cell phone or have the Asteroid Smart display directions to the point-of-interest from your current position on the unit's 6.2" touchscreen (no audible directions). The application also shows photos and Wikipedia articles of sights in the surrounding area.
- Roadtrip (free): The free Roadtrip application is a really
effective tourist guide, combing information from Wikipedia and Google Maps.
It helps you discover nearby points of interest (POI) with the help of
detailed information and photos. Launching the Roadtrip application will
display a list of nearby POIs. A toolbar shows the POI nearest to where you
are as well as your distance from it. The Alert Mode even informs you
automatically of any nearby POIs even when the Roadtrip app is not currently
being used. Once you have selected the POI, all the information about it is
displayed. You can then:
- View information from Wikipedia about the POI
- View photos of the POI (if any are available).
- View the route to this POI (only available with Maps app running in background)
- Call the POI (if a Bluetooth enabled phone is connected)
- See what the weather is at the POI (only available with Weather app running in background)
- Wikango HD US (free download + subscription): The Wikango HD application legally notifies you of the presence of mobile speed cameras, as well as of road traffic incidents and disruptions. Its operating principle is community-based; you are notified of the presence of speed cameras after another Wikango community member (Smartdriver) sees one and then reports it. 6 months of Wikango service is included free of charge. Additional 12 months service is $24.99.
- Glympse (free): Glympse is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook, or Twitter and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
Parking Apps: The Parrot Asteroid Smart offers parking apps to make parking easier when you travel.
- Best Parking (free): BestParking is a free parking search engine that steers drivers toward the cheapest and most convenient parking garages and lots in 55 cities and 80 airports throughout North America.
- Parkopedia ($1.99): The name Parkopedia is a combination of the words parking and encyclopedia. Born out of a frustration of looking for parking, this application maps out and lists every parking space in the world. To date, Parkopedia has grown to cover over 18 million parking spaces in 25 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to (1) find parking using your current location or by entering and address (2) get directions straight to the space or an entrance (3) see parking space availability in real-time (4) find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more (5) quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as street parking only, free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc..
Weather App (free): The free Weather application tells you about weather conditions and gives the weather forecast for several days around your location or in a town of your choice. The Weather app provides the weather forecast for more than 2 million towns and cities across the world. If you have defined Favorite locations, the weather at these places is also displayed. The weather conditions are announced verbally and are presented simply using 26 different icons.
Internet Radio: The Parrot Asteroid Smat provides access to TuneIn and Spotify online music services.
- TuneIn Radio App (free): TuneIn is a free Internet Radio music application. The TuneIn application lets you listen to local and international Internet radio free of charge. You can access more than 70,000 on-line radio stations and podcasts from around the world. You can choose the type of radio station or podcast you want to listen to and then select your specific radio station/podcast. You can also manually search for a radio station or a podcast, using the units touchscreen display. In addition, you can create a Favorites Station List. You can even view Radio Name, Radio Logo, & Song/Artist Information on the head unit's display.
- Spotify (free download + $9.99 monthly subscription): Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends.
Web Browser: The Asteroid Smart's Browser App can be used to browse internet web pages. Simply type in a URL address or keyword search to bring your the web page. You can use slide your finder along the screen to browse different areas of the web page. You can also zoom in and out on a web page. You can open up to eight browser windows. You can even bookmark your favorite web pages.
Email: You can configure your email account with the Parrot Asteroid Smart, so you can check your email on the unit's touchscreen display.
Pre-Installed Tools: The Asteroid Smart contains a built-in Clock, Calculator, and Diary app.
- Clock: Displays time (hr/min) and date (day/month/date) and offers multiple alarm functions.
- Calculator: Use the calculator keys displayed on the screen to carry out basic mathematical operations.
- Diary: Use the Diary application to create and manage events, meetings and appointments.
Bluetooth Technology: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features built-in Bluetooth (ver. 3.0) for advanced hands-free communication & wireless audio streaming. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile), HSP 1.0 (Handset Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: The Parrot Asteroid is 100% Bluetooth compatible with virtually every Bluetooth-enabled cell phone, smartphone, PDA, & tablet (including Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, and Blackberry). You can visit the Parrot Support Site to confirm that your cell phone is compatible.
Pairing: You can pair up to 10 devices with the Parrot Asteroid Smart. The Parrot Asteroid allows you to use the telephone & audio streaming functions from two different phones without having to disconnect one of them.
Hands-Free Communication: The Parrot Asteroid Smart supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The controls of the Asteroid Smart can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. You can listen to phone calls through your car's front speakers & talk through the included external microphone. The Parrot Asteroid Smart can retrieve phonebook contacts, and call history from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone.
- Receiving A Call: An incoming call is indicated by a ringtone (9 ringtones to choose from). The name of the caller is announced, if the number is recorded in the phonebook of the phone connected to the Parrot Asteroid Smart. When a call comes in, the Asteroid Smart automatically mutes your car stereo and the caller's voice comes through your vehicle's front speakers. All the call information from the phone is displayed on the unit's 6.2" touchscreen display.
- Dialing A Number: Using Parrot Asteroid, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways:
- Direct Dial: The Parrot Asteroid Smart allows you to directly dial a phone number from the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Phonebook Access: The Asteroid Smart allows you to upload your phonebook from your Bluetooth enabled phone, so calls can be launched simply by browsing your phonebook. Each time you add a contact name, the Asteroid Smart automatically synchronizes your cell phonebook. The Asteroid Smart can support up to 50,000 total contacts (5,000 per paired phone). *Only the contacts stored in the phone memory are synchronized. If your contacts are stored in your SIM card memory, transfer them onto your phone memory.
- Favorites: The Asteroid Smart allows you to designate contacts from your Phonebook as favorites for quicker access.
- Call History: The Call History is a list of calls that have originated from and were received by your phone that you can dial from the head unit. You can select Dialed, Received, or Missed calls.
- Voice Recognition: You can make a call using voice recognition. Simply say the contact's name and type of number (home, cell, work, etc.). The call is then automatically launched if the voice command is understood.
Note: To follow on your conversation in private, you can switch instantaneously the communication between the Asteroid Smart and your Bluetooth mobile phone. A call is automatically transferred to your phone, when the touchscreen display is removed or after 30 minutes of communication with the ignition turned off.
Call Waiting & Caller ID: During a call, you can receive another call if your phone supports this functionality. If your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone supports Caller I.D., the caller's name (if in phonebook) will be announced to you over your vehicle's speakers. The Asteroid Smart's touchscreen monitor will also display the name (if in phonebook).
Double External Microphone: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features an external double microphone with noise reduction (NR 3.0), echo cancellation (AEC), and full duplex operation which provides crystal clear calls at normal conversation level. The microphone features an integrated adjustable mounting bracket with an adhesive backing. The integrated bracket also features a mounting hole to attach the microphone with an optional self-tapping screw. In addition, the microphone comes supplied with a visor clip to mount to your vehicle's sun-visor. The ideal location for the microphone is near the rear-view mirror. The microphone needs to be pointed towards the user.
Note: You can mute the head unit's microphone so you can still hear the caller, but the caller cannot hear you.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Parrot Asteroid Smart also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The Asteroid Smart will be able to control basic playback functions of your Bluetooth device's stored music; such as Play/Pause, Skip Next/Previous, Fast Forward/Rewind and Random/Repeat. The head unit will also display your stored music's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title. The Asteroid Smart also supports audio streaming of music apps downloaded on your smartphone with metadata display and limited control. Advanced music control of your music apps will still need be done via your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone. All music files will played back through your car's speakers (front & back).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB Memory/SD-Card Compatible: The Parrot Asteroid Smart supports playback of USB mass storage class devices and SD/SDHC memory cards.
- 4 USB Ports: The Parrot Asteroid Smart is equipped with 4 USB (type-A) ports. One USB port is labeled "iPod" and designed for iPod/iPhone use only. The other 3 USB (type-A) ports can be used to connect the included GPS receiver/antenna for navigation, a 3G Network USB dongle for access to Internet apps, and a USB memory device for music playback. The Asteroid is compatible with the majority of 3G Network USB dongles, Android smartphones, portable digital audio players, USB thumbdrives, and external hard drives.. Use the included 5' USB extension cable to make connecting & disconnecting your USB device or Internet (3G) USB dongle easier.
- SD-Card Slot: The Parrot Asteroid Smart is also equipped with an SD-card slot located behind the detachable touchscreen display. The SD-card slot supports playback of music files stored on SD or SDHC memory cards (up to 32GB). mini SD/SDHC & micro SD/SDHC memory cards are compatible with adapter (sold separately).
Note: The navigation map SD-card also uses this same SD-card slot. You will have to remove the map card to insert an SD-card with audio/video/photo files. The navigation map will be non-functional.
Compatible Audio/Video/Photo Formats: The Parrot Asteroid Smart supports playback MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, and OGG music files loaded onto a compatible USB mass storage class device or SD/SDHC memory card (formatted in FAT32). The Asteroid Smart also supports playback of MP2, MP4, H263, H264, WMV, and SPARK video files stored on a SD/SDHC memory card. In addition, JPEG still-image files can be viewed on-screen from both a compatible USB device or SD/SDHC memory card.
Apple Device Direct Connection: The Parrot Asteroid Smart's rear-panel USB port (labeled "iPod") can be used to connect your iPod/iPhone/iPad to the head unit, via the included iPod cable or the connector cable which comes with your iPod/iPhone. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. The Asteroid supports audio playback of stored music from your iPod/iPhone device and music apps from your compatible iPhone.
Note: Several minutes of loading may be necessary when connecting your audio device (USB/SD/iPod) to the Parrot Asteroid Smart for the first time, particularly if you are using audio peripheral with a large capacity or containing many audio files. This loading time will allow your audio files to be accessible via voice recognition.
Music Control: You can browse your USB device, SD/SDHC-Card, and iPod/iPhone music files by Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Playlist. Once you have selected a category, the music content is listed alphabetically.
Voice Recognition: The Voice Recognition function allows you to select the artist/album you want to hear via voice recognition. You can simply access your music by pronouncing the name of the artist/album stored in your music library and the music will be launched automatically. This function is only available if you are using the Parrot Asteroid Smart with a USB, SD, or iPod/iPhone device.
Information Display: The Asteroid Smart will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music app song/artist information. The unit will also display ID3-tags and WMA-tags from USB mass storage class devices and SD/SDHC memory cards.
Charging: USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On. The unit also charges your connected iPod/iPhone device (but not the iPad). If your device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Parrot Asteroid is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone/iPad model functions (as of 2/27/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connectivity||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Dock||Bluetooth||3G||Audio||Video||Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Song Info||Track #|
- *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4 or iPad mini; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the head unit. These Apple devices only support audio playback (no video output)
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Software/Firmware Updates (via USB): You can download the latest software/firmware updates for free from the Parrot Support website via a USB thumbdrive. The USB thumbdrive (containing the software/firmware download) is then inserted into the Asteroid Smart's USB (type-A) port. These updates will enable you to receive new features & improve the product's compatibility. The tested Parrot Asteroid Smart contained firmware/software version 2.0.0 (as of 2/27/2013).
AM/FM Tuner: The Parrot Asteroid Smart is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning.
Preset Stations: The Asteroid Smart lets you store up to 200 AM/FM station presets (in any combination).
RDS: The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, & album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Traffic Alert: The Traffic alert option allows the Radio source to be automatically activated a& selected when the current station starts broadcasting traffic information.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Parrot Asteroid Smart is equipped with a 23W (RMS) x 4Ch MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
6V/6CH Preamp Outputs: The Parrot Asteroid is fitted with six 6-volt preamp outputs (Front, Rear, & Sub).
Subwoofer Controls: You can control the volume (+/-6dB) of the subwoofer preamp output independently from the main volume. You can also adjust a the low-pass crossover frequency from 50 to 200Hz (in 10Hz increments) for the subwoofer preamp output.
Equalizer: The Parrot Asteroid Smart allows you to adjust low, medium, and high frequencies to your preferences. 10 EQ presets (Off, Vocal, Pop, Club, Punchy, Deep, Crystal, Custom 1/2/3) are available. The Custom presets activate the 7-band EQ (60, 150, 400, 1k, 2k, 6k, 15k Hz).
Car Spatialization: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right or Front. You can also manually adjust the fader & balance control.
Virtual Super Bass Effect: The Virtual Super Bass effect amplifies bass frequencies. The Cutoff Frequency setting allows you to select the bass cutoff frequency for the speakers (the lowest frequency that the speakers can generate naturally). The Virtual Super Bass will then reproduce the frequencies that are lower than this cutoff frequency. The Effect Intensity setting allows you to adjust the level of bass frequencies generated by the Virtual Super Bass effect.
Loudness: The Loudness function is a dynamic adjustment of bass & treble based on listening volume. This function compensates for the human ear's loss of sensitivity to bass & treble frequencies when the volume is low.
AUX Input: The Parrot Asteroid Smart features a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting an external audio player, such as a CD player. The Auxiliary input must be "activated" in the unit's menu.
AV Input: The rear-panel audio/video input consists of left and right RCA audio jacks and an RCA composite video jack, allowing you to connect external equipment to this head unit.
AV Output: The rear-panel Video Output consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks that allow you to connect an optional external monitor and headphone system (sold separately). You can watch the same video source that is being played back on the Parrot Asteroid Smart on the connected external monitor.
Rear-Camera Input: The unit features a composite video input for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately). The video from this connection can be set to display when switched to this input, or display the rear view camera video automatically when the vehicle is shifted into Reverse gear. The purple/white wire (within the harness) must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds
Steering Wheel Control Interface: You can retain steering wheel control by using the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface with the AX-SWC-PARROT steering wheel control harness (both sold separately). This combination adapts the Parrot's 4-pin proprietary SWC port to a 3.5mm SWC port. This additional interface module lets you keep using your vehicle's steering wheel controls to change the sound volume as well as the music tracks or FM radio stations.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Zak Billmeier
Watch our interview with Parrot to learn about their ASTEROID Smart receiver. It's loaded with apps to keep you connected, play your music, and even has GPS
18 questions already asked
You can check to see if this will fit your vehicle by using our Outfit My Car tool: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Kenny Sep 24, 2016 ] Staff
2 answers Can this unit run any android app? Even ones downloaded from the google play store or is it just limited to parrot apps? Specifically I'd like it to run torque pro to monitor my trucks performance. Also cannot connect to multiple Bluetooth devices such as my phone and the obd port adapter at the same time? [ Anthony Jun 18, 2016 ]
It will connect to an OBDII adapter and a smart phone at the same time. You can side load apps that you download. It can also connect to the Play Store but it requires a little work. You should look up forums and follow some of the threads to find out more. [ Leroy Jun 18, 2016 ]
Parrot only runs its apps. Look on you tube there is way to side load apps. Not sure I would try it. Unit works well with your smart phone. Sirius,I heart radio and Rhapsody I use everyday. Might get the Verizon Dongle some day so parrot has mobile connection. You can connect to home wireless. My Escort detector talks same time as Droid phone to Parrot. Randy [ Randall Jun 18, 2016 ]
I doubt anyone has tested that phone with this receiver. I looked at its USB inputs and they are not rated as playing audio from Android devices. If I had to guess, I do not expect a newer model Android phone to work with its USB inputs. I would think MSC class devices only which would be older Android phones with older versions of the operating system. Feel free to call an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for help. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Apr 07, 2016 ] Staff
4 answers I'm looking for smart car audio to operate 2 apps from my work. First apps is the company of Dynamex, they send me the rout and address for delivery and the other apps is Road Warrior for multiple stop delivered. The other company i work is for Uber, the have the apps to get my passenger for x destination? [ Enrique Mar 11, 2016 ]
He GPS on that radio did not impress me. I returned it for I think a pioneer with Garmin navigation [ RICHARD I Mar 28, 2016 ]
Parrot will work with your phone or IPAD. Use the Bluetooth to communicate. Parrot has its own apps. Not easy to side load apps like the ones you want to use. If they are on other device may link up. Parrot works great with my Droid phone. I Heart Radio, Sirius XM and Rhapsody. Or use Verizon Dongle to provide internet to Parrot for its apps. Answers calls very well. Parrot answers calls and plays music really well. [ Randall Mar 14, 2016 ]
unless those apps are compatible with the really old version of Android that's in the Parrot, then your out of luck [ Abraham Mar 12, 2016 ]
Short answer is no. I have 3 Asteroid Smarts and have played with them quite a bit. First, they run on Android 2.3. Second, those apps aren't available on the Parrot store that I know of (haven't logged in in quite some time). And third, Parrot no longer supports their product. It may be possible to side load if the apps will run on 2.3 or root it but don't think I'd go to the trouble. [ James Mar 11, 2016 ]
You can check to see if this will fit your vehicle by using our Outfit My Car tool: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Mar 11, 2016 ] Staff
3 answers I purchased this item and have been using it for a couple weeks now. It will not stay on the Bluetooth A2DP source when I reboot or start the vehicle. It always switches to the radio source, which I never use. The phone's Bluetooth always connects right away, though. Is there any way to default to the Bluetooth source? [ Steve Jan 04, 2016 ]
I see the same behavior - not sure how to fix that. [ Peter Jan 04, 2016 ]
Get the unit near a wireless hotspot, and update the firmware. This was a common issue with the unit when they first came out. You will see a huge improvement. [ MIGUEL Jan 04, 2016 ]
Hi, as or right now there is no way to default to the Bluetooth source. I have an iPod connected to the wired USB and it will default to that. It is a great unit, but I do wish it would default to the Bluetooth, as I listen to it the most. I hope that helps! [ BRANSON Jan 04, 2016 ]
1 answer I am looking to install this in my 2015 Ford Transit Van (massive dashboard, with virtually no depth for a standard stereo. If I connect an external DVD or Blu-ray player (i.e. a computer drive) to one of the USB ports, would it be able to play the disk on the stereo? [ Stephen Oct 07, 2015 ]
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Oct 08, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Oct 01, 2015 ] Staff
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Apr 12, 2015 ] Staff
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 18, 2015 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Jul 08, 2014 ] Staff
3 answers Has anyone connected a 160 gb ipod to this unit? If so, did you run into any lagging problems with displaying artist lists? Also, how easy is the ipod navigation? Say I have 200 artists in my ipod and want to go from Abba to Zappa, is that something easily accomplished or do you have to keep tapping a down arrow on the screen? [ Eric D Jun 09, 2014 ]
I have connected my 32 gig IPad with no issues but I dont have that many files to display. [ JERRY Jun 10, 2014 ]
I've got a 120gig ipod permanently hooked up to mine, it pulls the XML list of artists/albums/whatever and dispalys them as expected. You flip through the artists like you would on a smart phone, so navigation is pretty natural. It's pretty easy for me to get Adrian Belew to ZZTop (Zappa starts with F dude :P) There is sometimes a problem skipping songs, if the album art hasn't yet loaded for the new song, i can't skip past it. Kindof annoying when it's on shuffle, but if I'm progrockingout to an album there's no issue. [ TEDDY Jun 10, 2014 ]
I didn't have an ipod but did use an 8 gig mem chip. Navigation was fine and quick. What I didn't like about the Parrot was its limited APPS. Yes you did have to scroll down. [ DAVE Jun 09, 2014 ]
Not that I know of, it a light blue graffic wallpaper on the main menu. The applications all use different backgrounds and might have settings to changed the background color.. [ JERRY Apr 07, 2014 ]
Yes. I have a 4Runner as well. But this stereo system has many, many problems that prompted me to return it. [ WILL Apr 06, 2014 ]
It will let you change your wallpaper. The actual lights will not change. They are a white color. [ Brian Apr 06, 2014 ]
Hi, You can change the background picture by rooting, however this unit is unique. It's not like a pioneer or sony or whatever where you can change the button colors. It really looks nice. I've got a jeep wrangler with green lighting, but it just looks sleek. Trust me, I've tried everything and although this unit is different, it's the closest thing to an android or iphone or ipad in the dash you can get. I love it. [ BRANSON Apr 06, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Mar 26, 2014 ] Staff
Yes, it can use torque with a bluetooth obdii [ Nick Apr 05, 2014 ]
Yes, you can find it on asteroid marketplace: https://www.parrotasteroid.com/asteroidmarket/?contentRef=263 [ DAVID Mar 04, 2014 ]
Yes, I use a bluetooth OBDII dongle and torque. You will have to enable the option to use 2 bluetooth connections at once and I have heard that some of the cheaper dongles can be a bit finicky. regards. [ WILLIAM Mar 03, 2014 ]
Yes, I've been able to successfully pair and use an OBDII device via bluetooth and monitor using Torque on the Parrot Asteroid Smart. You may want to make a special note, however, that some of the less expensive OBDII devices will not easily pair. If the pairing code for the device is something other than 0000, it may still possibly pair but is much more difficult and you will need to install an additional 3rd party app to manage the pairing process directly. [ JASON A Mar 02, 2014 ]
It will use most apps on the appstore. Some say they don't work but if you can find the apk outside the appstore, sideload the app or find an application to spoof your device id they will install. Some work well, some are a little quirky. Its a trial and error thing. [ HURELL Mar 02, 2014 ]
I was able to get the google play store loaded on it after finding a procedure online and installed the torque app. But I haven't had any luck pairing my OBDII scanner to the Smart. It wont pair to my kids Bluetooth game controller either. It doesn't have an issue though pairing with my iphone or android phone. Some people may have had better luck with the Bluetooth then I have. Other then the Bluetooth issues, the unit works great and if you don't want to go through the trouble of getting the google play store working, you can always side load android apps. [ MICHAEL P Mar 02, 2014 ]
Yes you can. You can side load any app including torque. You can use any good Bluetooth reader for your car. Hope that helps! [ MATTHEW Mar 02, 2014 ]
Crutcfeild made it VERY simple to order....and return. The parrot looked great. But soon found that it was very limited on its capabilities. It's apps are only provided by the company that made it. It's GPS was very non user friendly. My droid max HD...A GREAT phone had trouble connecting to it. The Bluetooth was weak and took forever to connext. Sounded great. Has SD card insertion for storage of app's and music which was nice. I installed it in my 2010 Chevy Silverado but eventually returned it and bought the Kenwood series DVD/GPS deck and absolutely love it. I would rate the PARROT a 2 out of 10. However like I said Crutchfeild made it super simple, I wouldn't buy my electronics from any other company. The Parrot needs more work. I wouldn't recommend it for you needs. Dave May. [ DAVE Mar 02, 2014 ]
Hi, I have only had the unit for just a little bit, but that is one of the reasons I wanted it. I have not used one yet so I cannot personally comment, but I have read all over the web about people that have been doing that. I think the reader that people have been using is online for about 18$. Hope that helps. Branson [ BRANSON Mar 02, 2014 ]
It will indeed run standard android apps. I rooted my parrot and side loaded Torque however Parrot has since released a version of Torque on their proprietary app store. [ STEVEN M Mar 02, 2014 ]
No deffenietly not. it is powered from the satellites same as if you had a tom tom or a garmin device [ DEON Feb 25, 2014 ]
No it does not need to be connected to your phone for the GAS to work. It comes with a GMC receiver for that action. I do believe that you can use your phone for certain functions though. I was not able to get mine to connect to my phone. It also has a USB port for a separate 3g connection. It also has wifi to connect to your home wifi setup. [ JASON R Jan 25, 2014 ]
No the unit have its own connection to the satellites [ CARLOS Jan 25, 2014 ]
No, it all depends on what app you are using for the navigation. The iGo app for example doesnt need the Internet but uses the maps it comes with. If you want to use waze or something else on the head unit though you would need an Internet connection. [ CHARLES Jan 25, 2014 ]
The answer is "No"....but the iGo app can use your phone's internet connectivity for POIs, traffic and stuff.....I didn't really like using iGo, so I sprung for the TomTom app which is totally offline and works better than the pre-installed app.... I am pretty happy with the device though....use it with BT phone connectivity, radio, iPod interface and Nav mostly.....it has alot of other features that are cool, but those are the ones i use the most.....it works extremely well for me.... [ MICHAEL Jan 24, 2014 ]
@Richard P - The unit comes with a offline Navi (iGo Primo) that is pretty darn good. Weak on the POI, but it is updated from time to time through the Parrot updates. For something like Google Maps "Online" Navi, you cannot even easily install. It takes some work. The iGo works great though. [ BART Jan 24, 2014 ]
No it has full offline maps, no internet connection necessary for the nav to work. [ STEVEN M Jan 24, 2014 ]
Nope! Works with the software that comes with the device with no internet connectivity [ WIL P. Jan 24, 2014 ]
No But I would highly recommend you go with something else. I would not recommend the parrot asteroid to any body that wants a gps enabled stereo. [ DAVID Jan 24, 2014 ]
I have this unit. It does not have to be connected to use GPS. I live this unit!! It uses and app called igo. [ Brian Jan 24, 2014 ]
Hey Richard , it does not have to be connected in order for the gps app to work.. Joe [ JOSEPH Jan 24, 2014 ]
The GPS navigation has its maps loaded onto an SD card, and a GPS receiver to keep track of its location. Therefore, it does not need any assistance from your smart phone to navigate. [ PAUL L Jan 24, 2014 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone or online chat. [ Jeff Dec 29, 2013 ] Staff
2 answers I am looking at this item for my 07' Hummer H3, it seems like you have all the fit items covered. The local installer doesn't sell them and they are looking to get 250+ for the install. First question... I am very hands-on very technically literate and have taken the car apart looking for leaks, Do you think I can complete the install? Also, I am looking for this unit solely for the Spotify App. Does that App download local files, or will there have to be a connection to play the music. If there are no local files, can a hard drive be connected in one of the USB ports for a small hard drive to hold local songs for playback? Thanks. [ Jim B Dec 21, 2013 ]
Jeff, I'm a doit your selfer to. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado. You can do this just take your time and make sure you get the on star kit for your hummer too. Took me about 2 hours with navigation too. Of course I returned because it's apps were limited and the nav software was not the greatest. Pandora also will not run on this unit. Better off with the Kenwood unit. [ DAVE Apr 08, 2014 ]
For details on installation please contact an Advisor by phone or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Jeff Dec 22, 2013 ] Staff