Dynaudio Xeo 20
High-performance powered stereo speakers (Black Satin)
Item # 345XEO20BS | MFR # 966022
$2,199.99 pair Earn up to 2,200 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Dynaudio Xeo 20 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Each speaker features a slot bass port, digital and analog connections, and control switches to help you get optimum sound in your unique room.
Hear music as the artist intended
Dynaudio tuned the Xeo 20 to mimic their celebrated LYD 5 professional studio monitors. That means you hear music the way the artist always meant for it to sound.
Each speaker sports a 5-1/2" woofer and 1-1/8" tweeter, but when you set up a pair and start playing your favorite tunes, you'll get a room-filling soundstage that proves Dynaudio speakers are more than the sum of their parts.
Innovative driver design
The Xeo 20's woofers are made from Dynaudio's signature material: Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP). Each MSP cone is molded in a single piece, which helps to optimize sound dispersion. There's no separate dust cap, which further enhances the cone's structural integrity. A rear slot port on each speaker helps the driver to produce accurate, musical bass.
The tweeters are also high-tech — and uniquely Dynaudio, through and through. They use aluminum-wired voice coils that are lighter than usual. That allows them to be larger, which results in better control and lower distortion. The tweeter itself is a soft dome with a special coating that improves dispersion so it sounds amazing no matter where you're sitting.
If you've noticed visible copper leads when looking at photos of Dynaudio tweeters, that's intentional. The surround is inverted for better dispersion, so the leads naturally show. Just one more sign of innovation in pursuit of expansive sound.
You don't have to have a degree in engineering to understand why the Xeo 20's design is important — the proof is in the sound. Your music doesn't sound like it's trapped in a cabinet — it sounds like it's filling the entire room.
Unlike most powered stereo speaker pairs, each Dynaudio Xeo 20 has two 65-watt amplifiers built in, with equal power going to the tweeter and woofer. And that makes them very versatile and flexible.
Each speaker has a couple of analog connection options: a 3.5mm "aux" input, and a left/right stereo RCA input. The Toslink optical input lets you connect a digital source directly.
Dynaudio offers some optional external components that make it even more convenient to get amazing sound out of these speakers in just about any situation.
The Dynaudio Connect box (not included) lets you stream wirelessly to both speakers without any hardwired connection. It also adds an additional optical digital input, a coaxial input, and a USB input for sending audio from a connected computer. Spotify Connect is embedded, so that adds one more convenient source that can stream directly to the speakers over your Wi-Fi® network.
Founded in 1977, Dynaudio is one of the world's premiere speaker companies. Their wide range of speakers for home, car, and pro audio applications are the result of a unique combination of innovative driver technology, state-of-the-art manufacturing, and true hand-craftsmanship. Dynaudio designs and builds all of its drivers at the company's HQ in Skanderborg, Denmark.
Product Highlights (each):
- 1-1/8" Esotec soft-dome tweeter
- 5-1/2" Esotec MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofer
- bi-amped design provides 65 watts apiece to woofer and tweeter (130 watts total)
- stream wirelessly via Bluetooth®
- frequency response: 40-21,000 Hz (±3dB)
- bass-reflex cabinet with rear slot for accurate, musical bass
- removable grille
- remote control
Connections and Controls (located on each speaker):
- Toslink digital optical (24-bit/96kHz)
- stereo analog RCA input
- 3.5mm analog aux input
- USB Type A input for firmware updates
- speaker positioning controls:
- three-position speaker location switch (Neutral, Wall, Corner)
- switchable left/right toggle
- zone selector for multi-room systems
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 7-1/8"W x 12-5/8"H x 10-1/8"D
- weight: 13.7 lbs. each
- designed, engineered, and assembled in Denmark
- warranty: 5 years (8 years with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Powered bookshelf speakers
- 2 Grilles
- Two 8' AC power cords
- Remote control
- Setup Manual
Powered Wireless Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Each Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speaker features a 1.1" precision-coated silk soft-dome tweeter and one 5.5" magnesium silicate polymer (MSP) mid-woofer powered by a 130 watt digital amplifier for true high-end sound with great dynamic range, expansive soundstage, exceptional accuracy, and a natural tonal balance. The Dynaudio Xeo 20 provides Bluetooth aptX, analog, and digital connectivity. Each speaker will need to be plugged into an AC outlet. However, there is no need for a physical connection between the speakers, because one powered speaker streams to the other powered speaker wirelessly.
Twin Bi-Amplified Digital Amplifiers: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speaker system utilizes twin 65 watt amplifiers inside of each speaker for a total system power of 260 watts. Each speaker's tweeter and woofer has its own 65 watt digital amplifier that has been specifically matched, individually tuned, and precisely optimized to power that particular driver. This means you don't need to concern yourself with matching other components to the speakers, because Dynaudio has done all the work for you. Because the amps and drivers are so close together, there's less internal wiring. Less internal wiring means less possibility of interference. It also means the signal can stay in digital form for longer - only being converted to analog at the last possible moment - before it's output as physical sound. The result is clearer, cleaner audio at any listening level.
Precision-Coated, Soft-Dome Tweeter: Dynaudio has relied on a silk soft-dome tweeter for recreating high frequencies since the company was founded, continuously improving and perfecting the soft-dome principle over the years. Dynaudio tweeter designs require a time consuming, labor-intensive manufacturing process where the fine fabric diaphragm is shaped into a dome and is then treated with a specially formulated coating. As a further refinement, the tweeter's aluminum voice-coil is suspended in a magnetic oil, which increases power handling while also improving the dome's excursion. The result is the celebrated Dynaudio tweeter, featuring a balanced and natural frequency response.
- Venting & Damping Chamber: The precision-coated soft-dome tweeters benefits from venting between its magnet and diaphragm. The tweeter also includes a special damping chamber integrated into the rear of the construction, deadening any back-wave energy through an acoustic absorber. The advantages include high power handling and unimpeded excursion of the soft-dome dome tweeter.
- Ferrofluid Magnet: The voice coil is positioned within the magnetic field of the tweeter magnet. When the loudspeaker reproduces sound, the voice coil, powered by the amplifier current, moves at a speed of up to 25,000 waves per second. To achieve a uniform movement, a magnetic fluid called ferrofluid is used around the voice coil. Ferrofluid works like a subtle shock absorber and eliminates excess energy. Due to the relatively high current and extremely fast movements, the voice coil is under constant thermal stress. The ferrofluid dissipates this heat, while also increasing power handling capabilities. The frequency range of the tweeter can thus be expanded while the frequency response remains smooth and linear, delivering the highest resolution and most neutral sound reproduction.
Note: The surround of the tweeter is inversed to improve dispersion. This leaves nowhere for the lead wires to go behind the tweeter, so the lead wires are positioned above the surround.
Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) Woofer: For bass and midrange drivers, Dynaudio uses a proprietary composite of magnesium silicate polymer (MSP), a material that combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping properties. This exclusive driver membrane is an immediately visible and characteristic feature of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Formed in a special manufacturing process, this membrane is a unique design with the distinctive, geometrically optimized form of the cone further enabling smooth sound dispersion.
- Increased Power Handling: The MSP woofer features a
lightweight aluminum wire voice coil and new black Kapton coil former for
increased power handling.
- Aluminum Voice Coil: A distinct and major Dynaudio innovation is the use of pure aluminum wire for voice coils. In comparison to the more commonly used and much heavier copper alternative, aluminum allows for more windings and extraordinarily large diameter coils that remain extremely light. By using aluminum instead of copper for a bass driver, it is possible to effectively double the coil's diameter without increasing its mass. Due to the thermal properties of aluminum, cooling of the voice coil is dramatically improved as well. In combination with the equally light voice coil former and powerful magnet materials used in Dynaudio designs, cone excursion is much more controlled and the driver follows the music signal from the amplifier with a remarkable sense of dynamics and accuracy.
- Black Kapton Coil Former: The voice coil former is made of black Kapton. This advanced material is non-magnetic, temperature stable and very stiff, yet still extremely lightweight. In its latest generation, black Kapton now yields an even stronger coil former in order to enable the voice coil to consistently perform under ideal conditions, perfectly controlling every driver movement, even when playing music rich in dynamics or at higher volume levels.
- Esotec+ Magnet System: The MSP woofer utilizes Dynaudio's Esotec+ magnet system that yields a compact yet powerful driver system. Its strong suit is the alignment; with the magnet positioned inside the voice coil, a larger and more homogenous magnetic field can be utilized, with less magnetic radiation from the inner magnet. This exceptional technology has the further benefit of symmetry, since the use of two magnet rings above each other enables a totally symmetrical pole piece design, making the driver coil induction constant in any voice coil position. This results in an extremely precise and symmetric voice coil movement for exact signal reproduction - even at higher volume levels.
- Die-Cast Aluminum Basket: The Dynaudio MSP woofer utilizes a low-resonance, highly warp-resistant basket made of die-cast aluminum. Due to the stiffness of this non-magnetic material, the basket can be designed with aerodynamically formed ribs to reduce air compression behind the moving membrane. Another advantage is its long-term resistance against thermal, mechanical or other external influences.
Rigid Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speaker system utilizes a bass reflex design with a rear-firing port on the back of each speaker for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. The 1.1" tweeter and 5.5" woofer sit in a solid aluminum baffle and ultra-stable composite housing designed to minimize unwanted interference. Additional internal damping, strengthening, and bracing in critical sections of the cabinet substantially reduce unwanted resonance. The included grilles have been designed so they do not influence the sound dispersion of the speakers. They are attached to the speaker cabinets with magnets and may be removed if needed.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming w/ aptX: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 features built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the Xeo 20 speaker system. In addition to the standard Bluetooth SBC codec, the Xeo 20 offers support for Qualcomm's aptX codec, which enables "CD-like" wireless audio quality from aptX compatible Bluetooth source devices (such as some Android smartphones and tablets). You'll also be able control basic playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Volume) from the included IR remote. You can pair multiple Bluetooth source devices to the Xeo 20 system, but only one device can be connected and played back at a time.
Note: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 speaker system does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making or answering phone calls.
Advanced DSP (Digital Signal Processing): Advanced DSP (digital signal processing) filters and adaptive bass technology tailor the sound of the Xeo 20 speakers to your room and application. You can select between 3 DSP modes - Neutral (free-standing placement), Wall (placed near a wall), or Corner (placed in a corner). You can also select which speaker is Left or Right.
Digital & Analog Inputs: In addition to wireless Bluetooth connectivity, the Dynaudio Xeo 20 speaker system offers digital and analog wired inputs. There is one optical (toslink) digital input that will accept 2ch PCM audio up to 24-bit/96kHz (not compatible with Dolby Digital/DTS). There are also two analog audio inputs, consisting of 3.5mm Aux input and one stereo RCA input.
Note: The digital & analog inputs are only only located on one of the speakers.
Optional Multiroom Audio: Optional components like the Dynaudio Connect, Xeo Master Remote, Xeo Extender, & Dynaudio Link, as well as additional Xeo speakers enable setting up a wireless multi-room and multi-source system (up to 3 zones).
- Dynaudio Connect: The Dynaudio Connect (sold separately) connects the Xeo 20 speaker system to your home WiFi network and lets you stream music directly from your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer. Dynaudio Connect even supports Spotify Connect, so you can stream music directly from your Spotify account. The Connect also features analog inputs (including 3.5mm Aux and stereo RCA input), as well as digital inputs (including USB-B and optical/coaxial digital) to connect your external analog and digital audio devices. In addition, the Dynaudio Connect offers built-in Bluetooth.
- Xeo Master Remote: The Xeo Master Remote (sold separately) can be used to turn the speakers on and off, change the volume, and select a Dynaudio Connect (up to 3) and its connected signal sources.
- Xeo Extender: The Xeo Extender (sold separately) extends the reception range of the Dynaudio Connect. As a result, Xeo speakers or other Xeo components can be operated further away from the Dynaudio Connect.
- Dynaudio Link: The Dynaudio Link (sold separately) receives wireless signals from a Dynaudio Connect and outputs analog and digital signals from its connections to your existing stereo system.
Simple Controls: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speaker system can be fully controlled with the included IR remote, while buttons on top of the cabinet let you switch it on/off or change the volume. The operational state of the system is indicated by two LEDs on the front cabinet.
Mounting Options: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speaker system can be placed on a table-top, desk, shelf, or set of speaker stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). The speaker system can also be mounted using PinPoin'ts side-grip wall-mount brackets (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Optional Speaker Stands: The Stand 10 or Stand 20 (both sold separately) provide a stable platform for the Xeo 20 loudspeakers. Their shape and design beautifully complements the clean lines of Dynaudio's Xeo series speakers. The stands feature sturdy aluminum construction, offer wire management, and include the option of rubber and spike feet.
- Optional Wall-Brackets: The Xeo 20 doesn't provide a mounting bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speakers. However, you can use the PinPoint side-grip wall-mount brackets (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to mount the Xeo 20 on a wall.
Power Requirements: Each powered wireless speaker comes with an 8' detachable AC power cord and will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Note: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 powered wireless speakers are not battery powered.
Auto Standby: The Dynaudio Xeo 20 speaker system will automatically switch to standby mode if there is no audio signal for 20 minutes.
Firmware Updates: There is a USB-A port on the back-panel of each Xeo 20 speaker which allows for firmware updates. The firmware updates can be downloaded from the Dynaudio website onto a USB thumbdrive which will then need to be inserted into each speaker's USB-A port.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.