Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Sigma Photo 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3
Super telephoto zoom lens for full-frame and APS-C sensor SLR cameras (Nikon mount)
Item # 366738NA | MFR # 738-306
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sigma Photo 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
The everyday lens for pros — or those who aspire to be
If you count serious photographers among your friends, you know they switch out lenses... well, often, if not all the time. That is, if they have the luxury of time and the ability to carry a lot.
But what does an experienced photographer carry when they're on vacation, or on any other occasion where they can only carry one lens? They just might have this Sigma Photo 50-500mm lens in tow. Certainly they'd love its amazing versatility — it can capture everything from landscapes and group shots (on full-frame cameras) to the minute details of a Gothic cathedral, while delivering impressive light sensitivity for its class. And even on an APS-C camera, the effective 75-750mm focal length on most cameras in that class gives you a range from the sweet spot for portraits to super-telephoto territory.
Fast action sports at your daughter's lacrosse match? The long reach will get you the dramatic close-up from across the field. A rare, colorful finch near the top of the canopy during your woodland hike? Optical stabilization lets you bring home sharp, vibrant pictures while working hand-held because you can shoot at slower shutter speeds. And quiet, fast autofocus means you'll be at the ready for candids while traveling, even if the ideal moment is fleeting.
Careful attention to the optical build quality has yielded a lens that's sturdy, sharp across the entire frame, and free of color irregularities throughout the zoom range.
Totally awsome.......can use hand held with no trippod....yeah!
What's in the Box:
- APO 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM zoom lens for Nikon
- LCF-95III Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Tripod Collar
- 95mm Lens hood (installed)
- APS-C Hood Adapter
- Filter step-down ring (86mm)
- Neck strap
- Zippered storage case
- Storage case strap
- Warranty sheet
- Warranty sticker
- APS-C Hood Adapter instruction sheet
- 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG APO OS HSM telephoto 10X zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon film and digital SLR cameras
- Nikon mounts do not have an aperture ring. Some functions may not work depending on the camera model.
- For Nikon and Canon mounts, Optical Stabilizer (OS) function will not work with film SLR cameras except Nikon F6 and Canon EOS-1V.
- effective focal length:
- 50-500mm with full-frame digital or film cameras
- 75-750mm with Nikon APS-C sensor cameras
- built-in optical stabilization allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times
- 4 special low-dispersion glass elements for impressive contrast and clarity
- super multi-layer lens coating minimizes flaring and ghosting
- minimum aperture: f/22
- minimum focus distance: 19.7" (W) to 70.9" (T)
- constructed of 21 elements in 6 groups
- filter size: 95mm (step-down ring provided to allow 86mm filter use with APS-C cameras)
- It is not possible to use a polarizing filter with the step down ring. If you attach a polarizing filter, you may not be able to remove it from the lens again.
- lens is 8-15/16" long, 4-3/16" in diameter
- weight: 69.5 ounces
- warranty: 4 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- step down ring
- carrying case, lens hood, front and rear lens caps
Sigma Photo 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Maximum Aperture||f/4.5 (W) - 6.3 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||4 Years|
|Labor Warranty||4 Years|
Overview: The Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM (Model #738) is a high quality, high-powered ultra-telephoto zoom lens. Typical uses include travel, and nature and wildlife photography . The lens has the Nikon bayonet mount, and comes with a lens hood, and front and rear caps. The included tripod collar allows you to attach a tripod at the lens (instead of at the camera) for better balance and control.
Optics: The lens features four SLD (special low dispersion) glass elements for excellent sharpness and color correction throughout the entire zoom range. Super Multi-Layer Coating helps to reduce lens flare and ghosting.
Lens Hood: The lens includes a bayonet-type detachable lens hood to help prevent stray light from entering the lens, causing flare, and to protect the lens from rain, snow, and dust. When not in use, the lens hood can be inverted and mounted onto the lens backwards for storage.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens features a two-way switch for setting the focus mode: AF (auto focus) or M (manual focus).
Optical Stabilization (OS): The lens also has built-in optical stabilization with two modes. Using the OS feature, it is possible to get sharp results at shutter speeds approximately 4 stops slower than you could without it. Mode 1 stabilizes the image when the lens is zoomed in on a distant object, and eliminates blurry images caused by camera shake. Mode 2 detects vertical camera shake, and is most effective when panning the camera horizontally to follow a moving subject.
Zoom Lock: The lens can extend an additional 3-1/2" when zoomed completely out. The Zoom Lock switch helps to prevent the lens from extending on its own when the lens is pointed downward.
Sigma DG Lenses: This Sigma DG lens is designed for use with full-frame digital SLRs. An APS-C hood adapter is included to provide more effective shading when the lens is used with a digital camera with an APS-C size image sensor.
HSM: The lens has a hyper-sonic motor (HSM) that provides a quiet, high-speed auto focusing mechanism.
Step-down Ring: The 50-500mm zoom lens has a 95mm filter thread. Included with the lens is a step-down ring that allows you to attach 86mm screw-on filters. Using the step-down ring with full-frame cameras causes vignetting, so the ring should only be used with cameras with APS-C sized image sensors. You should not use a Polarizing Filter with the step-down ring, because you may not be able to remove it from the lens again.
Flash Photography: Because of the length of the lens, it is recommended that only an external flash unit be used. Using the camera's built-in flash will result in shadows in the photograph caused by the lens barrel.
Optional Teleconverters: The lens is compatible with Sigma's 1.4x EX or 2.0x EX APO Tele-converters. With the 1.4x teleconverter attached, the lens has a focal length of 70-70mm. Using the 2.0x teleconverter, the focal length becomes 100-1000mm.
- Lens Construction: 22 Elements in 16 Groups
- Angle of View: 46.8°-5.0°
- Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 (W) f/6.3 (T)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (W-T)
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 19.7" (at 50mm); 70.9" (at 500mm)
- Filter Size: 95mm (86mm with step-down ring)
- Maximum Magnifications: 1:3.1
- Dimensions: Diameter=4.117", Length=8.94", (9.477" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 69.5 ounces
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.