SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
Electronic locking pet door for cats and small dogs
Our take on the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door by Crutchfield's Emily S.
Make that microchip work for you (and your pet!)
We microchip our pets in case the worst happens and they get lost. But what if we could benefit from that insurance plan without losing anyone we love? The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door allows you to do that.
Once programmed, it recognizes your pet's microchip and lets her pass through. If she doesn't have a chip, you can use the included RFID collar tag. This allows her freedom to explore outside, but with some limits, set by you.
Mode 1: Normal operation — Your programmed pet can enter or leave at will. The microchip reader is on the exterior of the door, so when no alternate lock mode is set, any critter (chipped or not) can exit your house, but only registered pets can enter through the door. This is called "selective entry."
Mode 2: In only — Your pet can enter the house, but she won't be able to leave again.
Mode 3: Out only — Your pet can exit the house, but she can't reenter. This is great if, like me, you need to lock your dogs out while you prepare their dinner bowls!
Mode 4: Fully locked — Your pet can't enter or exit the house.
Mode 5: Curfew — You set the door's lock and unlock times. Your pet can exit the home after the unlock time, but don't worry — she won't be locked out if she's out there after curfew! When the clock strikes your selected curfew time, the door switches to in-only mode so she can come back inside. At that point, the door will lock for the night and she will not be able to exit again.
These are the standard locking modes, but the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door also offers a variety of less common (but possibly still useful) custom modes. They are explained thoroughly in the manual so take a look there if you want more customization options.
- can accommodate cats and small dogs
- door opens only for registered pets
- compatible with all identification microchips
- stores up to 32 pet identities in memory
- also works with SureFlap RFID collar tag (one tag included)
- any animal can exit (microchip reader is on exterior of door)
- locking modes
- curfew mode: door locks and unlocks at specified times each day
- in-only: your pet can come indoors, but not go out again
- override lock: stops pet from leaving or entering the house
- several custom modes are available for less common situations
- can be installed in doors, walls, or glass
- accessories for glass and wall installations are available from manufacturer
- powered by 4 C batteries (not included)
- flap opening: 6-3/4"W X 7"H
- frame dimensions: 10-5/16"W x 11-1/16"H
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Pet door (2 pieces)
- 4 Screws (length 75mm)
- 4 Screws (length 50mm)
- 4 Screws (length 30mm)
- 4 Plastic screw caps
- SureFlap RFID collar tag
- User Manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Sure Petcare SureFlap Microchip Pet Door (SUR101) is designed for cats and small dogs, and can be installed into a door, glass, or a wall. The door interacts with your pet's implanted microchip or the included RFID collar tag to automatically unlock the door, allowing entry. The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door comes with an RFID collar tag, and installation hardware.
Note: For a Wi-Fi enabled, app-controlled Microchip Pet Door, see the Sure Petcare Pet Door Connect and Hub (sold separately).
Microchip Pet Door: The Microchip Pet Door has a built-in microchip reader that recognizes your dog's or cat's implanted RFID microchip or collar tag and unlocks the door to allow your pet (and only your pet) to enter through the door. (It allows any animal to exit.) Each microchip and collar tag must be registered with the microchip reader so it can be recognized. The Pet Door is compatible with all microchips commonly used for pets, including those with 15-digit, 10-digit, and 9-digit models.
Note: Additional RFID collar tags are sold separately by the manufacturer. Up to 32 pets can be programmed into the pet door at the same time.
On Board Controls: The pet door has six buttons under a removable cover. The buttons include: Function, Locking Mode (see below), Time Set, Lock Time, Unlock Time, and Add a Pet. A 2-3/4" LCD screen on the top shows the current, lock, and unlock times, as well as the locking and unlocking mode directions, battery life, Wi-Fi connection, and Microchip reader condition.
Locking Modes: There are five locking modes:
- Standard: Allows only authorized pets to enter and all pets to exit.
- Keep Inside: Allows only authorized pets to enter and prevents all pets from exiting.
- Keep Out: Allows all pets to exit, and once outside, they are prevented from re-entering.
- Lock Both Ways: All pets are prevented from entering or exiting the house, keeping all pets in their current location.
- Curfew Mode: Sets a lock and unlock time, giving your pet access to the outside for a set period of the day (i.e. unlock in the morning, and lock at night). During the Lock Time, the door is set to Keep Inside mode, allowing your pet to enter if outside, but prevent him from leaving.
Installation: The Microchip Pet Door can be installed in doors, walls, and through glass. If possible, the door should be installed so that the base of the tunnel is at the same height above the ground as your pet's stomach. Suggestions for each installation type include:
- Doors: The Pet Door can be installed in all door types, including wooden, plastic, glass, and metal. Metal door construction may impede the performance of the microchip reader, including metal skin doors, security doors, metal garage doors, and UPVC coated metal doors. It should not be installed in a fire-rated door, as it will reduce the effectiveness of the fire door.
- Glass: The Pet Door is ideal for mounting in single or double glazed windows. Cutting glass should be performed by a qualified glazier. A Pet Door Mounting Adapter, required for glass installations and sold separately from the manufacturer, allows mounting the door in circular holes between 11-9/16" and 12-5/8" in diameter.
- Walls: For wall installations, Pet Door Tunnel Extenders will likely be needed (sold separately by the manufacturer). Each Tunnel Extender fits snugly onto the 2-3/4" long tunnel of the pet door, and adds 2" to the overall length of the tunnel. Before beginning installation, you should consult a qualified builder to discuss the best location for the door, and for determining the presence of electrical wires, water pipes, or gas lines.
Dimensions: The Microchip Pet Door is made for cats and small dogs. The door creates a tunnel through the door, glass, or wall for your pet to enter or exit through. The door has the following dimensions:
- Flap Opening: 7.0" (W) x 6.69" (H)
- Tunnel Depth: 2.75" to 3" (optional extenders available)
- Door/Wall Cutout: 8.15" (W) x 9.21" (H)
- Glass Mount Cutout: 11.81" to 12.625" (minimum/maximum)
- Exterior Frame: 10.31" (W) x 11.06" (H)
Power: The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is powered by four C-sized alkaline batteries (not included). High quality, brand name batteries are recommended. Fresh batteries last approximately 6 months.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.