Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Digital media receiver
Watch a product review
Alpine CDA-9887's IMPRINT Sound Tuning Capability
Alpine's IMPRINT Sound Tuning
Crutchfield: Why Alpine Car Stereos Are Great
From Alpine: IDA305S Video
Our take on the Alpine iDA-X305S by Crutchfield's Zak Billmeier
Listen to Pandora Internet radio in your car
Pandora lovers rejoice — now you can dial in your favorite Pandora stations right on your car stereo. Alpine's iDA-X305S digital media receiver works with your iPhone® to deliver everything Pandora has to offer, letting you control the action just like any other radio station.
Setting up the iDA-X305S for Pandora is straightforward — simply connect your iPhone to the receiver's USB input and turn the stereo on. Follow the prompts to download Alpine's free PandoraLink app, and you're good to go. Album art and song info show up on the big 2.2" display. The USB connection gives you sound quality that's superior to an auxiliary input, plus your iPhone stays charged as you drive. Even better, this Alpine is fully compatible with the iPhone 5 with the help of this Apple adapter.
The stereo's controls work like a Pandora command center — push and rotate the main knob to the right to give a song a "thumbs up," or rotate to the left for "thumbs down." The iDA-X305S also lets you pause the current song, or tag it for later purchasing in iTunes®. Tap the middle of the large jog dial to activate a QuickSearch of your Pandora stations, and you can even skip up to six songs an hour per station.
Simple iPod navigation and control
Alpine also designed the iDA-X305S to make it easy to use an iPod in your car. The big jog dial in the middle works just like an iPod's click wheel. Turn it a little to access Search mode, then scroll line-by-line. Turn and hold the knob to move to Alphabet Search mode — now you can scroll through the alphabet to blaze through your lists of artists, albums, or songs.
The current song keeps playing, so you won't interrupt the music while you're searching. The convenient "Back" button lets you backtrack through the menus, instead of starting over from the top.
Play your other digital files, too
Put your favorite MP3, WMA, and AAC files on a thumb drive, and you've got an easy way to stock up on tunes for your next road trip. Or play another USB-equipped music player through the USB slot. A premium Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter delivers your music files with the highest fidelity possible.
Flexible system-building options
This versatile stereo works with all of Alpine's peripheral gear, including satellite radio, auxiliary input adapter, add-on USB input, or CD changer.
Three sets of preamp outputs simplify setting up a system with external amplifiers and subs, and you'll appreciate the ability to control the subwoofer's output level from the stereo. For the best possible sound quality, add Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT sound processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit — the IMPRINT measures your car's acoustics and adjusts the stereo's settings automatically to create a perfect audio environment.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Alpine stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Alpine, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Information provided by Alpine
Very pleased with the radio. The hardware for installation that was included made it a snap to install . A very good buying experience I will be shopping for speakers and a sub to complete system also from Crutchfield.
GaryR, SanAntonio Texas
What's in the Box:
- AM/FM/Digital Media receiver
- Control panel (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness (10-amp fuse)
- 7.5" iPod dock to USB cable
- 58" USB extension cable (with male USB Type A connector on one end and a female USB Type A connector on the other)
- Soft carrying pouch
- USB plug housing (locks extension cable and plug on radio together)
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 8mm)
- Owner's Manual on CD-ROM (Eng/Spa/Fre)
- CD-ROM system requirements
- Quick reference guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Customer Care registration card
- "iPhone Disclaimer" note
- digital media receiver (no built-in CD player)
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- plays MP3, WMA, and AAC music files from external sources
- 2.2" full-color TFT display
- detachable face
- optional remote control
- works with Alpine's free PandoraLink iPhone app
- controls for thumbs up/down, skip, pause, QuickSearch, plus tagging for purchasing in iTunes
- skip up to 6 songs per hour per station
- shows album art and song info on the screen
- direct USB connection for better sound than an auxiliary input
- 2-band parametric equalizer
- Burr-Brown 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- compatible with Alpine's PXA-H100 IMPRINT audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit
- iPod control: direct connection to USB input for newer iPods check "Hands on Research" tab for compatibility
- compatible with Alpine's HD Radio tuner, Bluetooth adapter, CD changer, satellite radio
- inputs: rear USB input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer) subwoofer output has bass level control
Other features and specs:
Alpine iDA-X305S Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Android Control||USB MSC/MTP protocol|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||18 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Display Color||Color LCD|
|Key Button Color||Blue or Red|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||9.3 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Overview: The Alpine iDA-X305S is an in-dash digital media receiver with an AM/FM tuner, a rear-panel USB input, and a 2.2" full color TFT LCD screen, but no CD slot. You can connect and control an iPod or a USB memory device; and the unit is Bluetooth ready. The iDA-X305S is a dedicated receiver that provide seamless control of your iPod, iPhone, and many other popular digital devices right from the head unit. The iDA-X305S receiver offers enhanced features for a more robust iPod-listening experience that meets the specifications for "Made for iPod" and "Works with iPhone" compatibility.
USB Memory Mode: The Alpine iDA-X305S features a rear-panel USB port and comes supplied with a 58" USB extension cable to connect a USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) MTP compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The iDA-X305S can play MP3, WMA, and AAC files stored on a compatible USB memory device formatted in FAT 12/16/32. MP3 files can be recorded with bit rates of 16-320 kbps, WMA files can have 16-320 kbps bit rates, and AAC files can have 16-320 kbps. This unit can recognize up to 1,000 folders and up to 10,000 files. The unit's display shows song, album, and artist title, and elapsed time. If no tag information exists, the display shows the track number and elapsed time. During MP3/WMA/AAC playback from a USB memory device, you can activate the search mode to locate a specific folder or file by name. You can repeat the current track or current folder, and play the tracks in the current folder or all of the tracks in the current memory bank in random order.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The iDA-X305S uses a rear-panel USB connection (58" USB extension cable included) and comes supplied with a 7.5" iPod dock connector cable to connect select iPods and provide ultra-fast digital data transfer so songs are loaded instantly through the receiver. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5, you will also need the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (472LTN230P, sold separately). The iDA-X305S allows connection, audio playback, control, and charging of your iPod using a USB connection. With the USB connection you get the fastest speed available and a direct digital connection to the unit's 24-bit DAC. Sound quality is maximized by using USB along with the 24-Bit D/A converter, allowing for an incredible Signal to Noise ratio of 105dB.
- Display Modes: You can view Artist, Album, Song Information and Song Number right on the head unit's display. You can choose between three display modes (Track Number/Elapsed Time, Song Name/Artist Name, or Song Name/Album Name).
- Search Functions: You can quickly and easily search through all of the music contained on your iPod through Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Podcasts, Audiobooks, or Composer searches. For especially large music libraries, Alpine created Page Skip to skip your music content list page by page. The unit also offers a Percentage Search function to quickly jump to specific parts of your iPod's music list. You can skip through your music in 10% increments. You can even use Alphabet Search to jump through your lengthy list of music by skipping through the letters of the alphabet. Once you have the letter you want, simply scroll to the exact song. Instead of starting all over from the search menu, you can simply press the Back button on the receiver to go back one step (works just like your iPod).
- Playback Functions: During iPod playback, you can activate any of the following playback modes: Shuffle Album (an album in the iPod is selected at random, and is played back in the album song order), Shuffle Song (all songs in the currently selected mode are played back in random order), or Repeat Play (a single song is repeatedly played back). When you are playing a song if you press the back button it will take you back to the place in the menu where you selected the song.
Note: You must use the included USB extension cable and iPod dock connector to connect your iPod or iPhone. This unit does not support direct connection of the standard iPod/USB dock or Lightning connector cable that comes with your Apple device.
Pandora Link: The iDA-X305S' PandoraLink feature enables you to interact with your Pandora internet radio account, by connecting an iPhone that has the Pandora compatible Application for iPhone installed. PandoraLink allows you to play Pandora internet radio from your connected iPhone through the Alpine iDA-X305S. Pandora is a free, personalized online radio service that allows users to create their own stations with music they like from a single artist or song. To get started you will need a Pandora online account, the Pandora Radio App from the Apple iTunes App Store downloaded on your iPhone, and the PandoraLink for Alpine App from iTunes App store downloaded on your iPhone (all free). Once you have downloaded these applications and connected your iPhone to the iDA-X305S via its USB connection, you will be able to access Pandora music content, playback audio, and display music information with album art from the Alpine digital media receiver. The Alpine iDA-X305S also offers unique Pandora functions such as Song Rating, Bookmarking, and QuickMix.
- Song Rating: If you like a song, push in the outer ring of the unit's Double Action encoder knob and twist the knob to the right to give the song a "thumbs-up". If you don't like the song, likewise push in and rotate the knob to the left, to give the song a "thumbs-down" and the song will skip. This provides feedback to Pandora so that you get better music selections catered to you no matter where you are; whether it's in the car, on your iPhone, or over the web on your computer at home.
- Song Bookmarking: The current song or artist playing can be bookmarked to your Pandora account. Your bookmarks can be viewed on your profile page at Pandora.com or directly via the Pandora app for iPhone, where you can choose to purchase the music from your computer later.
- QuickMix: Use QuickMix to create a playlist based on two or more of your Pandora stations. Edit your QuickMix station selections on the Pandora compatible application for iPhone when it is not connected to the iDA-X305S.
Note: Pandora is not available in Canada and only available for use in the United States.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Alpine iDA-X305S is "made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 11/2/2012):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Pandora Link||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
- *The iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, and iPad mini will require the included USB extension cable, included iPod connector cable, and the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter (sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-in AM/FM Tuner: The Alpine iDA-X305S features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. A total of 18 station s can be stored in the unit's preset memory (6 stations for each Band; FM1, FM2, and AM).
Optional Auxiliary Input: With the optional KCA-121B Ai-NET/RCA interface cable (500KCA121B, sold separately) you can input audio from an auxiliary source unit, such as a TV, VCR or portable unit through the head unit's AI-Net port. When using this auxiliary adapter, you cannot connect a CD-changer to the head unit.
Sound Quality: The iDA-X305S uses clean digital connections and a 24-bit Burr Brown DAC (digital-to-analog converter).
CEA-2006 Compliant: The specifications given by Alpine for the built-in amplifier comply with the CEA-2006 mobile amplifier power testing and measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association. All manufacturers who comply with the standard can display the CEA-2006 logo on their product.
- CEA-2006 Power Rating: 18 watts x 4-channel (at 4 ohms, 20-20kHz, 1% THD)
- Max Power Output: 50 watts x 4-channel (200 watts total)
Head Unit Power Pack (optional): Add the KTP-445A (500KTP445A, sold separately) Head Unit Power Pack to deliver 45 watts x 4-channel RMS of power. The KTP-445A is compact enough to install behind the Alpine receiver. It plugs in-line with the head unit's wiring harness, so you don't even need additional wires.
Bass and Treble Controls: The head unit features independent Bass and Treble controls that allow you to adjust each setting +/-14 dB in 2 dB steps. The center frequencies are adjustable (60, 80, 100, and 200 Hz for bass and 10, 12.5, 15, and 17.5 kHz for treble) and the bass bandwidth is adjustable (from narrow to wide in four steps).
Loudness: Loudness introduces a special low and high frequency emphasis at low listening levels to compensate for the ear's decreased sensitivity to bass and treble sound at low volume.
HPF: The high pass filter (HPF) removes the lower bass from the front and rear speaker and line level outputs. HPF options are 80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz, and off.
Subwoofer Pre-out: In addition to the front and rear 2-volt preamp outputs, there is a dedicated 2-volt subwoofer preamp output with variable level adjustment of 0 to 15. You can select either System1 or System2 for the desired subwoofer effect.
- Subwoofer System 1: Subwoofer level changes according to the main volume setting.
- Subwoofer System 2: Subwoofer level change is different from the main volume setting; even at low volume settings, the subwoofer is still audible.
Power IC Off: When an external amplifier is powering all the speakers in the system, you can turn the internal amp off, which will improve the sound quality.
Interrupt Feature: When a device having the interrupt feature (such as a cellular telephone) is connected to the receiver, the audio signal will be automatically muted whenever the interrupt signal is received from the device. The supplied wiring harness contains a pink/black Interrupt lead that needs to be connected to the device's interrupt signal connection.
Imprint: With the addition of the optional PXA-H100 Imprint box (500PXAH100, sold separately) and KTX-H100 tuning kit (500KTXH100, sold separately) a car's inherent acoustic shortcomings can be overcome with the MultEQ feature. Imprint also gives you much more sound adjustment flexibility as detailed below.
MultEQ: MultEQ, developed by Audyssey Labs, automatically optimizes the audio for the listening environment inside your vehicle. The Imprint kit includes the hardware, software, and microphone necessary to measure multiple positions in the car and capture frequency and time domain information from the vehicle's actual acoustical environment. Once the car's speaker location delays are measured, along with the frequency peaks and dips caused by the absorptive and reflective materials in the interior, MultEQ creates a set of equalization filters to correct the frequency response and time domain problems for each speaker in the vehicle. It also removes sound distortion caused by the specific acoustical problems in the vehicle. This optimizes the sound reproduction to the specific vehicle listening environment with much greater precision than can be achieved using typical graphic or parametric equalization. The result is a more accurate soundstage and smoother, more natural sound optimized to match your vehicle.
Equalizer: 10 typical equalizer settings are preset for a variety of musical source material. Select from Flat, Pops, Rock, News, Jazz & Blues, Electrical Dance, Hip Hop & Rap, Easy Listening, Country, and Classical. You can also save six custom EQ curves you create by adjusting the parametric or graphic EQ:
- 5- Band Parametric EQ: The Parametric EQ allows you to
adjust the following 5 frequency bands in 1/3 octave steps from -6 to +6 dB
at a bandwidth Q factor of 1, 1.5, or 3
- Band 1: 20 Hz to 80 Hz
- Band 2: 50 Hz to 200 Hz
- Band 3: 125 Hz to 3.2 kHz
- Band 4: 315 Hz to 8 kHz
- Band 5: 800 Hz to 20 kHz
- 7-Band Graphic EQ:
The built-in Graphic EQ allows you to adjust the
following 7 frequencies from -6 to +6 dB
- Band 1: 63 Hz
- Band 2: 150 Hz
- Band 3: 400 Hz
- Band 4: 1 kHz
- Band 5: 2.5 kHz
- Band 6: 6.3 kHz
- Band 7: 17.5 kHz
Crossover: The active crossover can be used as a 2.2 channel (3-way; low-pass subwoofer, band-pass midrange, high-pass tweeter) or a 4.2 channel (2-way; high-pass front and rear, low-pass subwoofer). A crossover limits the frequencies delivered to a given speaker, so you send only the frequencies for which the speaker is well suited. The crossover adjusts the high pass filter or low pass filter of each band along with the slope and output level. You can adjust the following crossover settings:
- 4.2 Channel:
- High Pass Filter: the front and rear outputs are individually adjustable; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- 2.2 Channel:
- Tweeter/High Pass Filter: crossover from 1 kHz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Midrange/Band Pass Filter: a band pass has both high pass and low pass filters; HPF 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct; LPF from 20 Hz to 20 kHz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
- Subwoofer/Low Pass Filter: the subwoofer output can be stereo or mono; crossover from 20 to 200 Hz in 1/3 octave steps with a slope of Flat, 6, 12, 18 or 24 dB/oct, additionally you can adjust the output level from -12 to 0 dB
Time Correction: The time correction feature delays the audio signal to the speakers closer to the listener. This effectively creates a perception of increased distance for those speakers. Time Correction allows the listener to be placed at an equal distance from all speakers for optimum staging. You can adjust the distance of each speaker and subwoofer (6-channel) to the listener from 0 to 132.7 inches.
Media Xpander: The MX (Media Xpander) function makes vocals or instruments sound distinct by restoring sound quality typically lost during recording or transmission; this function helps restore audio information that becomes obscured when audio is compressed. The MX function can be applied to all sources, except AM radio. There are three settings and each source can have its own setting.
2.2" Color LCD Display: You can easily view your iPod Album Art on a High-Resolution 2.2-inch color TFT display and select from three different screen view options on the iDA-X305S with great visibility even in direct sunlight.
- Song and track information
- Album Art image and song information
- Clock/Calendar display
Wallpaper: You can select the background color of the display between two types (Blue or Red). Wallpapers can be downloaded only when in USB memory mode. Wallpaper data is available at a website designed for Alpine product Owners. Download the wallpaper to your USB flash memory. Upload the Wallpaper from the flash memory to this unit.
Dual Illumination: You can decide between blue or red illumination buttons on the control panel.
Calendar/Clock Display: Using the View button, you can select the calendar/clock display on the front panel LCD. The clock can be set to 12 or 24 hour display, and the calendar can be displayed as M/D/Y (month/day/year), D/M/Y, or Y/M/D. When the calendar/clock display is given display priority, the time and date are displayed even after the unit is turned off. The calendar/clock display can be turned on or off with the View button when the unit is powered off.
Display Dimmer: The LCD screen and the button illumination will dim when the vehicle's headlights are turned on. You can also turn the dimmer off in the menu if you prefer. The orange illumination wire in the supplied wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit in order for the dimming feature to work. You can also set the illumination of the head unit manually.
Double-Action Rotary Encoder Knob: The iDA-X305S comes with a large Double-Action Rotary Encoder Knob for maximum control over all music search functions like QuickSearch for finding your songs or adjusting your volume. This knob can be detached from the face-plate for anti-theft purposes, the display however remains on the front panel. The unit comes with a soft fabric carrying pouch with a drawstring to protect the control panel when detached.
Angle Mounting: Alpine recommends mounting the iDA-X305S no more that 35° above horizontal.
Bluetooth Interface Ready: With the optional KCE-400BT Bluetooth adapter (500KCE400B, sold separately), you can make and receive calls hands-free on your Bluetooth-capable cellular phone, and communicate through a microphone (included with the Bluetooth interface) and your vehicle's speakers. In addition to the wireless connection and hands-free operation, you also get caller ID, phone book access, and on-screen call information. With select compatible phones with streaming audio capability, you can listen to and control music stored on your phone and have it stream through your Alpine system.
Note: Not all Bluetooth enabled devices will be compatible. Please visit Alpine's website for the latest product compatibility listing.
Optional Wireless Remotes: The iDA-X305S does not include a remote control. It is compatible with two optional wireless remotes; RUE-4190 (500RUE4190, sold separately) and RUE-4202 (500RUE4202, sold separately).
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (541SWIRC, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.