Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
80W x 4 Car Amplifier
Item # 500MRVF540 | MFR # MRV-F540
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Alpine MRV-F540by Crutchfield's Robert Ferency-Viars
The Alpine V12 Series MRV-F540 is a 4-channel powerhouse! The unstoppable power of this amplifier comes from the massive transformers and fast MOSFET power supplies. Extra-large capacitors deliver additional current when needed to fuel musical peaks. This amplifier is built using Alpine's STAR Topology design to greatly reduce internal noise, keeping the signal clean so that your speakers can perform better.
The internal Bass Engine® provides built-in crossovers for tuning the amplified frequencies. The top-mounted controls are conveniently hidden and protected by a flip-up top cover. Likewise, your cables are concealed under the front cover, which can be removed to save space.
- 80 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 2 in bridged mode
- 2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
- Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
- requires 8-gauge power and ground leads wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- Bass Engine® features front and rear high-pass (variable 15-8,000 Hz)/low-pass (variable 30-8,000 Hz) crossovers, 12 dB/octave
- MOSFET power supply
- STAR Topology (minimizes internal noise and prevents ground interference)
- preamp outputs
- oversized power and ground connections
- gold-plated screw terminals
- top mounted controls with cover
- detachable front cover
- blue power LED
- 16-1/2"W x 2-1/2"H x 9-7/8"D
- 1-year warranty
What's in the Box:
- Stereo amplifier with two 30-amp blade fuses and attached control panel cover
- 1 Terminal cover
- 1 End cap
- 2 End cap mounting brackets
- 2 Hexagon head screws
- Two 2" self-adhesive cushions
- Two 1-1/2" self-adhesive cushions
- Four 11/16" sheet metal screws
- Four M4x14 self-tapping screws
- Eleven M4 hexagon head screws
- One 3/32" Allen wrench
- One 1/16" Allen wrench
- 2 Small insulation boots
- 1 Large insulation boot
- Owners Manual
- Customer Care Registration/Survey
- Warranty sheet
- Certificate of power output
Features and Specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
80 x 4
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||350 x 2|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-50k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.08%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||100 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||30-8kHz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||15-8kHz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Fuse Rating||30 x 2|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
V12 Amplifier: This amplifier is part of Alpine's V12 series of amplifiers.
STAR Topology: Alpine's unique STAR (Signal Transit for Accurate Response) Circuit PCB design provides a single common ground for all amp sub-blocks, preventing ground interference and minimizing internal noise.
Bass Engine: Bass Engine is a set of functions which help provide you with more control over your system in order to tailor the sound to your personal tastes.
Verification Certificate: The amplifier comes with a certificate that informs you of the per channel RMS output of the particular amplifier. It lists the model number, serial number, test date, and the test conditions (voltage, impedance).
Frequency Multiplication: This feature multiplies the normal crossover frequency range by 20, thereby allowing you to select a crossover frequency setting for the front or rear channels, between 30Hz and 400Hz or 600Hz and 8kHz (high-pass or low-pass).
Built-in Variable Electronic Crossover: The built-in high-pass crossover is adjustable from 15Hz to 400Hz or 300Hz to 8kHz with a slope of 12dB/octave. The built-in low-pass crossover is adjustable from 30Hz to 400Hz or 600Hz to 8kHz with a slope of 12dB/octave. This use of separate high-pass and low-pass frequency controls allows for bandpass operation.
Protection Circuitry:The protection circuitry guards against accidents and undesired operation. Included are Over-voltage and Thermal overload.
Top of Amplifier: The amplifier has a metal hood that flips up to reveal the control panel. The control panel consists of the following controls:
- Front and rear variable gain controls: these rotary controls allow you to match the input sensitivity of the amp to the particular source unit you are using
- Front and rear channel frequency controls: these rotary controls allow you to adjust the crossover frequency from 15Hz/300Hz to 400Hz/8kHz
- Rear channel frequency controls: these rotary controls allow you to adjust the crossover frequency from 30Hz/600Hz to 400Hz/8kHz
- Front and rear high-pass crossover switches: lets you select high-pass or full-range operation for the speaker outputs
- Front and rear low-pass crossover switches: lets you select low-pass or full-range operation for the speaker outputs
- Front and rear frequency multiplication switches: lets you select "X1" for normal crossover frequency band (15-400Hz) or "X20" for a crossover frequency band of 300Hz-8kHz during high-pass operation
- Front and rear frequency multiplication switches: lets you select "X1" for normal crossover frequency band (30-400Hz) or "X20" for a crossover frequency band of 600Hz-8kHz during low-pass operation
- Input channel selector switch: Allows you to select between 2-channel, 4-channel, and summed input options
Front of Amplifier:
- Battery (+12 V): 0.332" wide gold-plated, collared set-screw terminal that will accept up to 8-gauge wire
- Remote (turn-on): 0.332" wide gold-plated, collared screw terminal that will accept up to 8-gauge speaker wire
- GND (ground): 0.332" wide gold-plated screw terminal that will accept up to 8-gauge speaker wire
- Speaker Output: 0.332" wide gold-plated, collared set screw terminals for channels 1-4
- RCA Input: two sets of gold-plated RCA line input jacks
- RCA Output: gold-plated RCA line output jacks
RMS Power Rating (measured at 14.4V):
- Per Channel Into a 4-Ohm Load: 80 watts x 4
- Per Channel Into a 2-Ohm Load: 100 watts x 4
- Bridged Into a 4-ohm Load: 200 watts x 2
RMS Power Rating (measured at 12.0V):
- Per Channel Into a 4-Ohm Load: 50 watts x 4
- Per Channel Into a 2-Ohm Load: 70 watts x 4
- Bridged Into a 4-ohm Load: 140 watts x 2
Note: Minimum impedance is 2-ohms stereo.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.