Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Ported enclosure with one 8" Type-R subwoofer
Item # 500SBRS84 | MFR # SBR-S8-4
Outlet Savings: -$37.50
$212.49 Earn up to 213 Rewards points
Our take on the Alpine SBR-S8-4 by Crutchfield's John Pollard
Add some bass, save some space
Alpine's SBR-S8-4 ported sub enclosure gives you the bass your system has been missing without taking up the valuable storage space you need. This enclosure is tuned by Alpine's experts to give you impressive bass with minimal power requirements.
The sturdy, ported enclosure lets you get impressive bass out of the 8" Type-R sub.
Powerful 8" Type-R sub
Alpine loaded the SBR-S8-4 with an 8" Type-R subwoofer, a speaker known for its serious bass performance. They created the ported, high-quality MDF enclosure as a perfect match for the sub, guaranteeing maximum punch while maintaining a very small profile.
Slim box makes placement easy
The SBR-S8-4 comes in at only 6-5/8" deep so you can install it in a convertible's trunk, behind the seat in your standard cab pickup, and in many other problem vehicles. Carpet protects the enclosure from nicks and scratches, while a metal grille protects your sub from flying objects and other hazards in your car.
Note: Sorry, Crutchfield cannot ship Alpine products to Guam or Puerto Rico.
great sound quality
What's in the Box:
- Ported enclosure loaded with one 8" woofer
- Installation notes
- Warranty information
- On-line product registration information
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
- ported enclosure with one 8" Type-R woofer
- 3/8" medium-density fiberboard construction (3/4" MDF front baffle)
- 4-ohm total impedance
- recommended power: 150-350 watts RMS (1,000 watts peak power)
- frequency response: 30-200 Hz
- 19-1/4"W x 11-3/8"H x 6-5/8""D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Alpine SBR-S8-4 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Pieces in System||1|
|Second Depth (inches)||N/A|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Frequency Response||30-200 Hz|
|Power Range (Watts RMS)||300|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Alpine SBR-S84-4 is a ported enclosure with an 8" SWR-8D2 subwoofer installed, delivering tight, powerful bass. The enclosure, tuned to 30 Hz, is made from 3/8" MDF (3/4" for the front baffle) with internal bracing to ensure structural integrity. A single pair of spring post terminals on the left side of the enclosure accepts pin connectors, single or dual banana plugs, or bare wire up to 12-gauge. The sub's dual 2Ω voice coils are wired in series to present a 4Ω load. Alpine recommends using a 30 Hz subsonic filter for best results.
- Kevlar Reinforced Pulp Cone: This Type-R subwoofer has a two-piece structural parabolic Kevlar reinforced pulp cone. Kevlar adds strength and tear resistance to the woofer cone while maintaining the benefits of a pulp cone design. There is also an oversized inverted poly-mica dust cap, which increases rigidity and virtually eliminates cone distortion at extreme volume levels.
- HAMRS: The woofer features a High Amplitude Multi Roll Surround (HAMRS), made of Santoprene, that allows a large linear excursion and greater SPL. The HAMRS design allows extreme excursions without sacrificing valuable cone area.
- Progressive Spider: The progressive Conex spider has reinforced layer tinsel leads to ensure reliable and consistent control of the tinsel leads and eliminate any mechanical noise or interference often seen in high excursion cone designs.
- Compound Radius Curve Pole Geometry: Alpine's Patented Compound Radius Curve pole geometry ensures a symmetrical magnetic field, while optimizing flux density to reduce distortion and further improve power handling and output.
- Oversized Voice Coil: The oversized (40mm), high-temperature, 4-layer dual voice coils offer increased power handling to 300W RMS / 1000W Peak.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Buck Pomerantz
Alpine's SBR-S8-4 ported subwoofer gives you hard-hitting bass without taking up the valuable storage space you need. The secret is in the high quality construction.
Why did you buy this?
I picked these cause they sound dope and are a reasonable price [ Steven Mar 11, 2016 ]
Alpine is the best [ lopez Feb 26, 2016 ]
4 questions already asked
Thanks for your question. For information on selecting the best amp for your subs I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences between the amp models and help you make the best choice for your system. [ Kenny Feb 12, 2016 ] Staff
Thanks, I'll do that [ Stu Jan 25, 2015 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Krissy Jan 25, 2015 ] Staff
What watt is your amp [ Cynthia May 22, 2014 ]
The settings on the amp will depend on which amp you have. If you purchased the amp from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff May 21, 2014 ] Staff
This subwoofer will present a 4-ohm load to your amplifier. If you are looking to present the amplifier with a 2-ohm load, then you will need to purchase a 2-ohm subwoofer. [ Jeff Feb 01, 2014 ] Staff