Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Our take on the Soundstream VR-722HB by Crutchfield's Dave Delamere
Pick your media
With Soundstream's VR-722HB DVD receiver, you can quickly access your favorite media from its big icon-based 7" LCD touchscreen display. You can choose from Bluetooth®, CD, DVD, USB, or AM/FM radio, plus you can check out your smartphone's apps onscreen by using the MobileLink™ feature. When you're done, the motorized display retracts into its single-DIN (2" tall) chassis for a low-profile look.
MobileLink for your smartphone
Soundstream's MobileLink function displays your phone's screen information on the receiver's big screen, providing you an easier way to see your apps at a glance. You can check out turn-by-turn directions from your navigation apps, as well as artist and track info from your music apps. You'll use your smartphone to control the apps, but you can check them out on the receiver's larger 7" display.
The VR-722HB's MobileLink uses the receiver's rear HDMI input to display your smartphone's apps, and the rear USB port charges your phone. Here's what you need depending on your smartphone:
- iPhone 4/4S: You'll need to connect the Soundstream HDM-i4 cable.
- iPhone 5/5S/5C: You'll need the Apple Lightning digital AV adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Select MHL-enabled Android® phones: You'll need the Soundstream 5-pin HDM-A2 or 11-pin HDM-A3 cable depending on your Android.
Go wireless with Bluetooth
Bluetooth gives you hands-free calling convenience, plus a wireless connection to the songs stored on your compatible music player. Soundstream includes a sensitive built-in microphone that's close to you on the front panel, so callers can hear you loud and clear.
Audio and video options
You can play your MP3 and WMA music using the VR-722HB's front USB input or DVD/CD player. Once you've picked your music, you can tweak it with the five EQ presets. You can also use the two sets of preamp outputs to add amps to your system for more power.
Use the VR-722HB's front analog audio/video input to hook up your favorite portable audio player, game console, or another video source. This receiver provides two video outputs to send movies to rear video screens, so you can keep backseat conflicts to a minimum. You'll appreciate the input for a rear-view camera — it's a big help when you're maneuvering your vehicle in tight spaces.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver w/ motorized 7" LCD screen (15A fuse)
- Detachable control-panel (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Preamp/AV harness (installed)
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Rear-stud bolt
- Self-tapping screw
- 2 Removal tools
- Carry pouch
- Reference Manual
- Bluetooth Connection Instructions
- Owner's Registration Card
- DVD/CD player with AM/FM tuner
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (20 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels)
- 7" motorized retractable touchscreen display
- fits single-DIN (2" tall) dash openings
- detachable faceplate with carrying case
- remote control
- MobileLink displays select music, navigation, and other apps from connected iPhone and Android
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices
- five EQ presets
- bass, treble, loudness controls
- built-in iPod Touch and iPhone control
- inputs: front and rear USB ports (rear USB for device charging only), rear HDMI digital A/V input, front analog A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: dual analog video outputs, 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front and rear)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Soundstream VR-722HB Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||3.5mm AV (front)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI(r), Mini(f)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power Output||20 watts|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||12 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
7" Motorized Touchscreen: The Soundstream VR-722HB features a motorized, retractable 7.0" wide, 16:9 touchscreen monitor (800x480) with LED backlighting. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. You can adjust the angle of the retractable monitor for a better viewing angle. You can also adjust the brightness of the display.
Detachable Control Panel: In addition to touchscreen control, the VR-722HB offer hard-key control buttons along the front-panel, including a 3-way rotary dial. Part of the front control panel detaches to deter theft; drawstring carrying pouch included.
Parking Brake Detection: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink wire of the included harness must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Remote Control: The Soundstream VR-722HB includes a 40-button IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia unit. The head unit also features an OEM steering wheel remote control input that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the Farenheit Steering Wheel Control Interface (sold separately; not available at Crutchfield).
MobileLink Input: The Soundstream VR-722HB features a rear-panel HDMI audio/video input and USB charging port (max. 0.5A) for connection of select Apple iOS devices and MHL-enabled Samsung smartphones. You'll be able to listen to audio from stored music and music apps, watch video from stored movies and movie apps, and view navigation apps on your compatible Apple iOS or MHL-enabled smartphone, using the head unit's HDMI input and USB charging port (know as the "MobileLink" input). The HDMI connection provides the audio/video playback, while the USB connection charges your compatible Apple iOS or Android device (max. 0.5A). Even though the VR-722HB will mirror the display of your connected device, it will not allow you to operate playback functions of your mobile device; you will still continue to use your Apple iOS or Android device's touchscreen to navigate your smartphone's menu and control audio/video playback. You will need to purchase additional cables for connection based on your type of smartphone device (see below).
- Apple iOS Connectivity: If you have an Apple iPhone 4/4S or iPod touch (4th gen) with a 30-pin Dock connector, you will need Soundstream's 30-pin to HDMI/USB cable (530HDMI4, sold separately). If you have an Apple iPhone 5/5C/5S or iPod touch (5th gen) with the Lightning connector, you will need Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter, Lightning-to-USB cable, and a mobile-grade HDMI cable (sold separately).
- Android Connectivity: Most MHL-enabled Android devices, will require Soundstream's microUSB 5-pin to HDMI/USB cable (530HDMA2, sold separately). If you have a Samsung Galaxy S3/S4 or Note II/III, you will need Soundstream's microUSB 11-pin to HDMI/USB cable (530HDMA3, sold separately).
Note: Parking brake does not have to be engaged for MobileLink input to function. Will not charge the Apple iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones with a amperage rating above 0.5A.
Bluetooth (v2.0) Technology: The Soundstream VR-722HB features built-in Bluetooth (Ver 2.0) Technology. With built-in Bluetooth, you can wirelessly connect your Bluetooth capable mobile phone to listen to calls through your car's audio system. You can also stream audio from a Bluetooth enabled audio player. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles - HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), & AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
- Hands-free Communication w/ Integrate Mic: The VR-722HB supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The VR-722HB allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's integrated front-panel microphone and your car audio speakers. The VR-722HB allows you to answer a call from the head unit's touchscreen monitor. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's LCD monitor. You can make a call from the VR-722HB using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9) or a call history data log of dialed, received, and missed calls. Your car audio speakers will mute automatically during a call. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Audio Streaming: The Soundstream VR-722HB also allows you to play back stored music and streamed music from your Bluetooth enabled phone, PDA, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control (Play/Pause/Skip) the music stored on your Bluetooth audio player from the VR-722HB. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the VR-722HB. Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the VR-722HB.
Disc Compatibility: The Soundstream VR-722HB supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio and CD-R/RW discs. The unit can play back MP3 music files and MP4/DivX video files recorded onto a compatible DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW disc.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Soundstream VR-722HB is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) 2.0 port for connection of a USB mass storage class device, such a USB thumbdrive. The unit supports playback of MP3 music files, MP4/DivX video files, and JPEG photo files stored on a compatible USB MSC device (up to 32GB).
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with direct USB connection of Android or Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad devices. There is also a rear USB port, but it is for charging purposes only.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Soundstream VR-722HB is equipped with an AM/FM tuner with manual, preset, and seek tuning. The VR-722HB lets you store up to 18 FM and 12 AM preset stations. These presets can be stored manually or automatically. The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played. If an analog FM stereo broadcast is hard to receive, you can manually switch the tuner to Mono operation. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible AM/FM stations.
Note: The tuner features selectable North America and European tuning.
MOSFET Amp + Preamp Outputs: The Soundstream VR-722HB is equipped with a 20W x 4-channel (RMS)/52W x 4-channel (Peak) MOSFET amplifier. The VR-722HB features is also equipped with 2.0-volt front & rear preamp outputs for connection of an external amplifier.
Preset EQ + Bass & Treble: Five EQ curves are preset into memory, allowing you to recall the best preset EQ curve (User, Pop, Classic, Rock, Jazz, Flat) for different types of music. The User mode allows you to independently adjust the Bass & Treble from -7 to +7. The Loudness function enhances low and high frequencies to make the sound clearer lower volumes.
Front-Panel AV Input: The unit features a front-panel 3.5mm audio/video input for connecting a temporary external A/V source, such as a MP3 player or game console.
Dual Video Outputs: The multimedia head unit features two rear-panel composite video outputs for integration of a ceiling-mounted or headrest entertainment system in your vehicle.
Rear-View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear-view back-up camera (sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. The increased view encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (orange wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 2.0 seconds.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
this unit uses an external mic that comes with the radio, and it works very well depending of course on placement of the mic. [ SHAWN May 16, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff May 12, 2014 ] Staff
Yes. The screen quality on this device reminds me of the first Nintendo. Really poor. [ DYLAN Apr 29, 2014 ]