Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Harman Kardon GLA-55
High-performance powered stereo speakers
Item # 532GLA55 | MFR # GLA-55
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Harman Kardon GLA-55 by Crutchfield's Tara W.
High-end desktop audio meets a sleek, modern design
Add crystal-clear sound and a stylish look to your desktop or nightstand with these stereo speakers from Harman Kardon. These audiophile-grade speakers are a great way to get the most from your digital music collection without sacrificing the floor space needed for larger speakers. The minijack audio input lets you play music stored on your computer, stream tunes from your favorite Internet radio stations, or connect your iPod®. And controlling playback is simple touch-sensitive volume controls let you raise, lower, and mute the volume with ease.
Built-in high-performance amplifiers
Powerful built-in amplifiers pump 56 watts of pristine power to each channel. A chrome-plated, solid-copper bus delivers the signal from the amplifier to the drivers with minimal resistance and signal loss. An integrated heatsink and fully shielded amp enclosure eliminate the potential for electrical interference. The result is a broad, spacious soundstage that takes your music or video game soundtracks to the next level.
High-tech drivers for superior sound
The GLA-55 speakers give you premium performance despite their very small footprint, thanks to Harman Kardon's cutting-edge driver technologies. The 3" woofers are designed for high excursion they travel a full inch from peak to peak for exceptional bass that you'd expect from much larger woofers. The 1" dome tweeters are made of an exclusive ceramic/metallic material that's exceptionally stiff and lightweight, for high-frequency detail that's musical and accurate. The unique, molded-glass cabinet is created of the same material that's used in bulletproof glass, enabling deep bass performance and reducing distortion.
What's in the Box:
- Left satellite speaker with attached 6.5' cable (terminated into a right angled proprietary plug)
- Right satellite speaker
- AC adapter with attached 58" DC output cord (DC output: 18V/3.33A)
- 75" AC cord
- 5' Audio patch cord (with straight 3.5mm plug on one end and a right angled 3.5mm plug on the other end)
- 2 Cloth storage bags (speakers are packed in these drawstring bags at the factory)
- Owner's Manual
- "!Attention!" sheet
- Warranty sheet
- built-in amplifiers pump 56 watts to each speaker (at 1% THD)
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- frequency response 35-20,000 Hz (-10 dB)
- chrome-plated, solid-copper bus for minimal resistance and signal loss
- integrated heatsink and fully shielded amp enclosure minimize interference
- 3" aluminum-cone Atlas AL woofer
- 1" Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm dome tweeter
- unique, molded-glass cabinets
- touch-sensitive controls for volume adjustment
- 5-3/8"W x 10-1/16"H x 10-7/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange size (inches)||---|
|Woofer size (inches)||3|
|Power Output (Watts)||56 x 2|
|Frequency Response||35-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Harman Kardon GLA-55 speaker system consists of a pair of uniquely designed, self-powered speakers made of multi-faceted acrylic. They can be used as computer speakers, for listening to your iPod, or virtually any audio device with a 3.5mm output.
Enclosures: The GLA-55 features resonance-free clear acrylic enclosures. The Slipstream port, with its varying diameter, is designed to augment the bass response without distortion or port noise.
Drivers: Each satellite has an edge-driven 1" dome tweeter made of CMMD (Ceramic Metal Matrix Diaphragm) Lite, and a long excursion 3" Atlas AL aluminum woofer. The speakers are magnetically shielded.
Amplification: The GLA-55's drivers are powered by 56 watts per channel of digital amplification with Digital Sound Processing (DSP) equalization. The signal is delivered from the amplifiers to the speakers by a chrome-plated, solid copper bus for minimal resistance and signal loss. Electrical interference is virtually eliminated due to the integrated heatsinks and shielded amp enclosures on each speaker.
Right Speaker: The GLA-55's right speaker has most of the system's controls and connections:
- Touch-Sensitive Volume: The speaker system's volume can be raised and lowered using the touch-sensitive Volume + and Volume - buttons, located on the front of the speaker. You can tap the volume buttons for a slight change in volume, or touch and hold the buttons for a continuous change. You can mute the audio by touching both the + and - buttons simultaneously.
- Bass Control: On the back of the right speaker near the base is a rotary bass control. You will need a small slotted screwdriver to raise or lower the bass.
- Audio Connections: On one side of the speaker, near the base, are
two 3.5mm jacks:
- Audio In: Using the supplied input cable, you can connect the speaker system to your computer, iPod, or any other audio device with a 3.5mm analog output.
- Sub Out: If more bass is needed, you can add a powered subwoofer to the system using this line output. No subwoofer cable is included.
- Power Connection: A standard round DC input jack is provided for use with the included AC adapter. The speaker system requires an 18-volt DC power supply. The jack is located near the base on one side of the right speaker.
- Left Sat: This proprietary multi-pin jack, located beside the DC power connection, allows you to connect the left satellite speaker to the system. The left speaker has a 6-1/2' cable, allowing you to place the speakers far enough apart to get good stereo separation in a close proximity setting. The left speaker receives both power and audio signals from the right speaker through the cable.
LED Indicator: Located in the front of each speaker, near the base, is a white LED to indicate whether the system is on (constant), in standby (flashing), or muted (off). If the speaker system does not detect an audio signal after 10 minutes, it will go into standby mode.
- Power Output: 56 watts per satellite at 1% THD
- Input Impedance: 5kΩ
- Input Sensitivity: 250 mV for rated power
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 85dB A-weighted
- Frequency Response (-10dB): 35Hz - 20kHz
- Dimensions (each satellite):
- Width: 5.375"
- Height: 10.0625"
- Depth: 10.875"
- Weight: 2.5 pounds (approx.)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.