Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Harman Kardon SB 26
Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Harman Kardon: SB26 sound bar
Item # 532SB26 | MFR # SB26AM
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Harman Kardon SB 26 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Not with a bang, but a whimper
"OK, action!" As the actors dive into the scene, the director closely monitors their performance. Every nuance is carefully examined to make sure nothing betrays the story being told or the characters who tell it. Once filming has wrapped, hours will be spent in post-production tweaking the look and sound of every scene. Eventually, the finished work will play in living rooms across the country, where it will sadly be mangled by those miniscule speakers built into the sides of your HDTV. What a waste.
Give this story a happy ending
But you can do something about it. You can get the Harman Kardon SB 26 and recapture the director's original vision. This attractive sound bar and wireless subwoofer work together to bring movies and TV shows into your home the way they were meant to be experienced: with explosive sound effects, clear dialogue, detailed music scores, and enough volume to fill large rooms. Rest the bar on your TV stand or mount it on the wall with the included hardware. A single cable from your TV can get you up and running, so you never have to rely on those underwhelming, overmatched TV speakers again.
Discover the bass you've been missing
Your TV's speakers are not only small, they're ill-equipped to deliver the low frequencies that add depth and power to movie and TV soundtracks. That's where the SB 26's wireless subwoofer comes in. With a 10-inch down-firing driver and wireless connectivity to the bar, you can place it virtually anywhere it your room. Worried about too much bass dominating the sound? Dial down the sub's volume with the included remote.
HDMI and Bluetooth connections
The SB 26 isn't just for movies and shows. Connect your Blu-ray player to one of the sound bar's two HDMI inputs and play your CDs or concert Blu-ray discs through this system. The bar's HDMI output lets you take advantage of this system's on-screen guide, so you can easily view system settings like virtual surround listening mode or Harman Volume to keep commercials from playing too loudly. The SB 26 also features Bluetooth connectivity for wireless music streaming. Pair your smartphone, tablet, or computer to the bar and instantly play music stored on your device or in the cloud.
The system offers the best bass for enjoyment if you love bass. this system also offer the best surround although its a bar with 10 in sub it offers the effects of surround sound and make you feel like the theater.
Pao lee, Portland or
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 4' DC cord)
- Two 59" AC power cords
- Remote control (CR2025 battery installed)
- 40" HDMI cable
- 39" Optical digital cable
- 46" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 41" IR repeater cable
- 2 Wall-brackets
- 2 Self-adhesive rubber pads
- Quick-Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- 30 watts x 2 (RMS power)
- dual two-way driver system, each with a 1" dome tweeter and two 3" midrange drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- listen in stereo or virtual surround sound mode
- built-in Dolby Digital decoding
- Harman Volume helps keep listening levels consistent across drastic volume shifts such as during commercials
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- EQ switch to optimize bar for wall or table placement
- wall mounting brackets included
- includes IR repeater to extend TV's infrared reception for use with TV remote
- HDMI switching: 2 in, 1 out (one HDMI cable included)
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- analog stereo RCA input (miniplug-to-RCA cable included)
- 36-3/16"W x 4-5/16"H x 3-1/2"D
- weight: 7.9 lbs.
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- 10" down-firing woofer
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- adjustable crossover for seamless blending with the sound bar
- volume control via included remote
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design
- weight: 20.7 lbs.
- 12-5/8"W x 14-5/16"H x 14-3/8"D
- on-screen display allows you to view settings and options on your TV (requires HDMI connection)
- system frequency response 38-22,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year (electronics), 5 years (speakers)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Harman Kardon SB 26 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar)/Ported (sub)|
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (2)|
|Midrange||3" Cone (4)|
|Subwoofer Driver||10" cone|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||38-22k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||60|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4-5/16H x 36-3/16W x 3-1/2D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.9 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-5/16H x 12-5/8W x 14-3/8D|
|Subwoofer Weight||20.7 lbs|
Harman/Kardon Home Theater Soundbar System: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 Home Theater Soundbar System offers a simpler alternative to your typical 5.1ch home theater speaker system. Not every room can accommodate five speakers and a subwoofer; and not everyone wants to deal with hooking up rear surround speakers. The Harman/Kardon SB 26 is a two-piece home theater system with an amplified soundbar speaker that connects directly to your TV/Blu-ray player/Satellite/Cable Box, and a wireless powered subwoofer that can be placed anywhere in your room. The SB 26 Home Theater Soundbar System delivers true Harman/Kardon sound, whether you are listening to music or watching a movie.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 active soundbar speaker houses left & right 2-way speaker modules with a built-in amplifier. The soundbar includes 2-way, dual-driver left & right speaker modules, each with two 3" midrange drivers and a 1" dome-tweeter. The active soundbar is powered by a 30W x 2ch amplifier. Thanks to digital signal processing (DSP) with Harman Display Surround technology, the soundbar works in tandem with the included wireless powered subwoofer to provide a complete surround-sound experience. The SB 16 soundbar speaker is designed to fit elegantly in front of or below your flat-panel TV. The H/K SB 26 simply offers HDMI audio/video, analog audio, and digital audio connectivity.
- Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The SB 26's wireless powered
subwoofer offers you simplicity in terms of hookup & flexibility in terms of
placement. The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar
speaker via wireless technology, so you can place it anywhere in your room
without having to run any wires. With a 10" woofer and built-in 100W
amplifier, the wireless powered subwoofer delivers powerful bass performance
when combined with the system's soundbar speaker. And thanks to a
bass-reflex enclosure (with rear-firing port), you can also expect more
realistic bass performance and higher bass output, since the subwoofer fires
downward against the floor instead of against surrounding walls. The
following controls are found on the wireless powered subwoofer.
- Subwoofer Level: Use this level control to balance the subwoofer's volume with that of the soundbar.
- Low Pass Crossover: An adjustable subwoofer crossover lets you achieve a smooth transition of bass between the subwoofer and the soundbar for a variety of different rooms and subwoofer locations.
- Phase Switch: The Phase switch lets you fine-tune bass performance to your listening environment and taste.
- Auto Turn-On/Off: The subwoofer will automatically turn itself on when it receives an audio signal, and it will return to the Standby mode when it has received no audio signal for 15 minutes.
Harman Display Surround + Dolby Digital Decoding: Drawing from Harman expertise in movie theater audio, the SB 26 lets you add cinema sound without adding multiple speakers. Employing proprietary Harman Display Surround technology, it creates a virtual surround-sound experience for multiple listeners from a two-piece soundbar/sub system. The Harman/Kardon SB 26 can also decode Dolby Digital soundtracks via HDMI and optical digital connectivity, which eliminates conversion stages that reduce sound quality. You can choose from two Harman Display Surround modes.
- Virtual Surround: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 provides a rich, full-bodied theatrical experience with only two speakers (soundbar & subwoofer). The SB 26 produces a virtual surround-sound experience for anyone sitting in front of the soundbar speaker system, without the need for extra rear surround speakers.
- Two-Channel Stereo: The two-channel stereo mode is designed for traditional stereo playback when listening to your music or news programs.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the SB 26 system, it's recommended that you switch off the sound coming from your TV's loudspeakers.
Variety of Connection Methods: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 soundbar speaker system offers HDMI (v1.4), analog (3.5mm), digital (optical), and Bluetooth (A2DP) connectivity.
- HDMI (v1.4) Connectivity: With dual HDMI inputs, the Harman/Kardon SB 26 provides convenient connection for multiple HDMI source components; such as your Satellite/Cable box and Blu-ray player. It also includes one HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC), which sends the TV sound back to the soundbar. This setup simplifies switching and makes the system easier to use.
- Analog + Digital Audio Inputs: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 features both analog (minijack) & digital (optical) inputs to connect your flat-panel TV and a Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box to the system.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 soundbar speaker supports Bluetooth (v.2.1+EDR) A2DP wireless audio streaming. This allows you to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device (such as your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/table, or computer/laptop) to the SB 26 soundbar speaker system. You will continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device. This unit pairs with your Bluetooth-enabled device with a single press of a button. Once paired, the SB 26 will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33').
Harman Volume: Harman Volume helps you maintain the same volume level, no matter what you're watching; be it a film, TV show, or TV commercial.
On-Screen Display: The on-screen display (via HDMI) lets you control functions of the SB 26 soundbar speaker visually on your flat-panel TV. The on-screen display does not support song/artist information.
Remote Control: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 soundbar speaker system comes with an IR remote control, can be programmed to respond your TV's remote, and offers a free remote app for Apple iOS/Android devices.
- IR Remote Control: The Harman/Kardon SB 26 comes with a credit card-sized IR remote for wireless operation. However, you can program the soundbar so it will respond to your TV remote's power off, mute, volume up/down, and source commands. This programming lets you control your whole home theater system with a single remote. In case the soundbar is blocking your television's IR receiver, insert the included IR repeater into the back of the soundbar and place it in front of the IR receiver of the television.
- Harman Kardon Remote App: Downloading the free Harman/Kardon
Remote app from the
iTunes App store onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) device or from the
Play Store onto your Android (2.2+) device lets you control the SB 26 soundbar
speaker system from your smartphone or tablet device. You'll also be able to
control your Apple iOS or Android device's stored music from the Harman/Kardon
- Source Selection: You'll be able to access and select all of the SB 26 speaker system's source inputs (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, HDMI TV, Optical, Aux, or Bluetooth) through your Apple iOS or Android device with the Harmon/Kardon Remote app installed.
- Audio Settings: You have control of the SB 26 speaker system's Volume, Sub Level, Harman Volume, and Harman Display Surround Modes through the Harman/Kardon Remote app and your Apple iOS/Android device.
- Music Control: You can control all the music you have stored on your compatible Apple iOS/Android device through the Harman/Kardon Remote app. You'll be able to search your music by Song, Artist, Album, Playlist, and Genre. You also get basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Random. To access music apps, you'll need to exit the Harman/Kardon Remote app and select your desired music app on your iOS or Android device.
Mounting Options: You can place the SB 26 soundbar speaker on a shelf or tabletop, or wall-mount it with the included brackets. A dual-position equalization feature optimizes the soundbar's performance for either location, so you can mount it where you choose without compromising sound quality. Because the system's powered subwoofer is wireless, you can position it any where in the room (within 25').
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
I haven't sound tested the SB 30, so unknown. [ Kevin Jan 03, 2014 ]
Thanks for your question Jose. It doesn't look like we've gotten feedback from other customers, so I wanted to let you know that the SB 30 is now discontinued and no longer available. If you would like to get some comparison information on the two units I would recommend contacting an Advisor by phone or online chat. They'll be able to give you information on the differences between the two units. [ Jeff Dec 14, 2013 ] Staff