Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Harman Kardon SB 30
Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer
Item # 532SB30 | MFR # SB30
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Harman Kardon SB 30 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
Making home theater harmony
Many HDTV fans experience the disconnect of a wide, pristine picture undermined by tiny TV speakers struggling to eke out sound from their narrow, shallow home in the TV's trim bezel. The Harman Kardon SB 30 comes to the rescue, lifting you out of the rut dug by kazoo-like TV drivers and into the wide world of home theater speakers.
Big sound little footprintHarman Kardon knows that while nearly everyone wants better TV sound quality, few want to sacrifice a lot of real estate to speakers, amplifiers and the accompanying cascade of cables and cords. The SB 30 provides an elegant surround speaker solution that requires precious little space but delivers truly spacious sound. The SB 30 boasts an adjustable beam function that lets you tailor the sound to your room whether it's small, medium or large. The sound bar houses a total of 13 speakers to bring dialogue and music to the forefront. Its 230-watt built-in amplifier leaves TV-powered sound in the dust.
Best of all, the SB 30 is just one plug away from Dolby® and DTS® digital sound. Just connect your TV, Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box with the included cables and you're on your way to a greatly enhanced entertainment experience. Plus Dolby Volume control ensures that "loud commercial surprise" is a thing of the past.
Solving the bass shortageWhere most television speakers really come up short is on low frequencies. The SB 30 cures that with a 100-watt wireless subwoofer. Its 8" driver delivers the kind of low, tight rumble that makes action scenes something you can feel in your gut. And film scores play a bigger role, with all of the instruments present in full range. Even voices will sound more realistic. And because the sub is wireless you can place it wherever it's convenient for you.
Installed easily. One digital fiber cable from TV and connect it to power. I taught my Harmony 900 how to control it and we were good to go. This is only being used to improve our TV sound, not used for music listening.
FRH, Concord, NC
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker (SB 30 CNTR)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (SB 30 SUB)
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 5' Optical digital audio cable
- 6.5' Stereo audio cable
- 4 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Rubber feet
- Connection Guide
- Caution note
- 230 watts
- Dolby® digital, DTS® decoding and built-in HARMAN Wave surround for theater-like sound
- Dolby® Volume maintains consistent volume levels
- virtual surround and two-channel stereo listening modes
- six 2" midrange drivers
- seven 1" dome tweeters
- built-in transmitter sends audio signals to wireless subwoofer
- magnetically shielded to prevent interference with tube TVs
- adjustable phase and EQ switch to set tone preferences
- wall mounting bracket and feet for shelf placement included
- auto turn-on/off
- requires AC power
- weight: 8.4 lbs.
- 4"H x 45-3/4"W x 3-1/4"D
- 100 watts
- frequency response: 40 - 160Hz
- can be placed anywhere in the room
- adds bass punch to movie soundtracks, TV shows, and music
- 8" down-firing woofer for deep bass
- sealed cabinet design
- requires AC power
- weight: 19.2 lbs.
- 13-15/16"H x 10-9/16"W x 11-1/4"D
- 1 analog stereo RCA input (cable included)
- 1 optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 1 coaxial digital audio input
- system frequency response 40-20,000 Hz
- remote control
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Harman Kardon SB 30 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1.0 dome (7)|
|Midrange||2.0 cone (6)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||No|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||---|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||---|
|Control by App||---|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Feet (2)|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||Not given|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4H x 45-3/4W x 3-1/4 D|
|Sound Bar Weight||8.4 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||13-15/16H x 10-9/16W x 11-1/4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||19.2 lbs|
Harman/Kardon SB 30 Home Theater Soundbar System: The Harman/Kardon SB 30 Home Theater Soundbar System offers an elegant and simpler alternative to your typical 5.1ch home theater speaker system. Not every room can accommodate 5 speakers + a subwoofer; and not everyone wants to deal with hooking up rear surround speakers. The Harman/Kardon SB 30 is a two-piece home theater system with a single amplified loudspeaker unit that connects directly to your TV, Sat/Cable box, or Blu-ray player and a single wireless powered subwoofer that can be placed anywhere in your room. The SB 30 Home Theater Soundbar System delivers true Harman/Kardon sound, whether you are listening to music or watching a movie.
Active Soundbar: The SB 30 active soundbar contains six 2" woofers and seven 1" tweeters, powered by four 40W amplifiers and seven 10W amplifiers. It features a powerful triple-core DSP (digital signal processor) with two Harman-exclusive surround modes (Virtual and Harman Wave) that utilize different combinations of the soundbar's 13 transducers and 11 amplifier channels to create an astonishingly realistic surround-sound experience in any size room and for listeners at any position in the room, without needing any extra speakers or wires. The SB 30 soundbar speaker is designed to fit elegantly alongside your flat-panel TV and is magnetically shielded. The H/K SB 30 simply plugs into your TV, Sat/Cable box, or Blu-ray player with a single analog or digital audio cable.
Note: The active soundbar speaker will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The SB 30's wireless powered subwoofer offers you simplicity in terms of hookup & flexibility in terms of placement. The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the soundbar speaker via wireless technology, so you can place it anywhere in your room without having to run any wires. With a down-firing 8" woofer and built-in 100W amplifier, the wireless powered subwoofer delivers powerful bass performance when combined with the system's soundbar speaker. And thanks to its sealed (acoustic suspension cabinet), you can expect more realistic, tight bass performance, and higher bass output, since the subwoofer fires downward against the floor instead of against surrounding walls.
Note: The wireless powered subwoofer will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet. The powered subwoofer is not magnetically shielded.
Dolby Digital + DTS Decoding: The Harman Kardon SB 30 home theater system has advanced Dolby Digital and DTS sound decoding. When you listen to a movie using the SB 30, you'll experience superb spatial realism; the sense that you're inside the movie, with all of its sounds moving as the characters on screen do. You'll hear every detail of your movie soundtrack.
Harman NSP Surround Modes: Given that it's powered by exclusive Harman NSP surround technology, the SB 30 soundbar achieves a new pinnacle of realism thanks to extremely advanced digital signal processing (DSP) and 13 transducers fed by 11 individual amplifiers, creating a highly immersive surround sound environment. You can choose from the following Harman NSP Surround Modes.
- Harman Wave: The Harman Wave mode utilizes all 13 of the soundbar's transducers to create both left and right surround sound fields, in addition to using the left and right transducer groups to reproduce the front left and right stereo signals. Extremely sophisticated digital signal processing uses wave field synthesis to separately control direct and indirect sound fields, creating an impressive surround sound sensation in even a large room and for many listeners seated over a large listening area. The Harman Wave mode features a Room Size adjustment that allows you to tailor the soundbar's energy field to match the size of your listening room (Small, Medium, or Large).
- Virtual: The Virtual mode utilizes sophisticated digital signal processing and an additional four transducers to simulate the reflected sounds that would be created by the rear channel speakers in a room with a dedicated surround-sound system. The soundbar's digital signal processing is specifically designed to maximize the useful listening area while reducing sonic colorations. This digital processing also enhances conventional stereo and MP3 sources by creating rear ambience that adds depth to the sound presentation.
- Stereo: The Stereo mode reproduces the input signal in conventional two-channel stereo, utilizing the soundbar's left and right speakers. Digital equalization and digital crossover filters help achieve accurate performance for listeners in a variety of seating positions, not just those directly on the speaker's center line.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the SB 30 system, it's recommended that you switch off the sound coming from your TV's loudspeakers.
Dolby Volume: The SB 30 integrates Dolby Volume technology, which maintains the same volume level, no matter which channel or program you may be watching. No more being jolted out of your seat by a loud commercial or having to adjust the volume every time you change channels. Dolby Volume ensures that the sound's original balance will be kept at all times and at all volumes, so your entertainment happens seamlessly while sounding precisely how the artist intended.
Soundbar Controls: The following controls are found on the active soundbar speaker.
- Power Button: When the soundbar is in the Standby mode (the Power LED is amber), pressing the Power button will turn on the soundbar. When the soundbar is on (the Power LED is blue), pressing the Power button will put it into the Standby mode.
- Input Select: This button switches between the analog (source 1) and digital (source 2) inputs of the soundbar speaker system.
- Volume Up/Down: The Volume Up/Down buttons on the soundbar speaker controls the system's overall volume.
- EQ Switch: The EQ switch lets you adjust the soundbar's bass for wall mounting or table-top mounting to deliver the most natural-sounding bass performance with any installation.
- Surround Mode: Pressing the Surround Mode button cycles the soundbar's audio output through the following three surround modes: Stereo, Virtual, or Harman Wave.
- Dolby Volume: Pressing the Dolby Volume button cycles the Dolby Volume setting between off, low and high.
Powered Sub Woofer Controls: The following controls are found on the wireless powered subwoofer.
- Subwoofer Level: Use this control to balance the subwoofer's volume with that of the soundbar. Turn the knob clockwise to increase the subwoofer's volume; turn it counterclockwise to decrease the subwoofer's volume
- Phase Switch: This switch determines whether the subwoofer driver's piston-like action moves in and out in phase with the speakers in the soundbar. If the subwoofer were to play out of phase with the soundbar speakers, the sound waves from the soundbar could cancel out some of the sound waves from the subwoofers, reducing bass performance and sonic impact. This phenomenon depends in part on the placement of the subwoofer and soundbar relative to each other in the room
Remote Control: The SB 30 comes with a small IR remote that provides control over all your SB 30 soundbar functionality. This convenient, easy-to-use remote control helps you to get the best audio performance out of your SB 30 system.
Wireless Code Switch: There is a Wireless Code switch on the rear-panel of the soundbar and subwoofer. The Wireless Code switches let you select between 4 different channels for the wireless subwoofer signal and the soundbar. The wireless codes (1-4) need to be the same on the soundbar and subwoofer.
Auto Turn-On/Off: Auto Turn-On/Off Circuitry automatically switches the SB 30 soundbar speaker system on when an audio signal is present, and off when there is no audio signal.
- Soundbar: The soundbar has a signal detector that will automatically turn the unit on when it senses an audio signal at any of its inputs. To minimize power consumption, the signal detector is not activated unless the soundbar first senses any kind of IR remote signal. The soundbar will automatically enter the Standby mode if no audio signal is detected at any of its Source input connections for approximately 15 minutes. If you have programmed the soundbar to respond to the remote's on and off commands, you can manually put the soundbar into the Standby mode.
- Subwoofer: The subwoofer will automatically turn itself on when it receives an audio signal, and it will return to the Standby mode when it has received no audio signal for 15 minutes. The subwoofer's LED will turn blue when the subwoofer is on, and will turn amber when the subwoofer is in Standby.
Analog Audio Inputs: Use the supplied stereo audio cable to connect the soundbar's Source 1 (analog) input to your TV's stereo audio output. If your TV has two sets of audio output jacks, use the set that has a fixed (not variable) output level. This will let you turn your TV's speakers all the way off while the TV still supplies a constant audio signal to the soundbar.
Digital Audio Inputs: If your TV, Sat/Cable box, or Blu-ray player have coaxial or optical digital outputs, you can use the supplied optical digital audio cable or an optional coaxial digital audio cable to connect them to the soundbar's Optical (toslink) and Coaxial (RCA) digital inputs.
Soundbar Placement: The active soundbar speaker can be placed on a table-top or wall mounted.
- Table-Top Mounting: If your TV is placed on a table, you can place the soundbar on the table directly in front of the TV stand, centered with the TV screen. Attach the supplied rubber feet to the soundbar to protect your furniture.
- Wall-Mounting: If your TV is attached to a wall, you can use the included wall-mount brackets to mount the soundbar on the wall directly below the TV screen. There are two different pair of wall-brackets supplied. One pair is to be used when connecting the soundbar via Stereo RCA or coaxial digital, and the other pair is to be used when connect the soundbar via optical digital.
Note: The soundbar speaker is magnetically shielded so it can be placed safely next to your TV.
Subwoofer Placement: Since the human ear does not hear directional sound at the low frequencies where the subwoofer operates, it will perform well from just about any location in your room. However, the strongest bass reproduction is likely to be heard when the subwoofer is placed in a corner along the same wall as the soundbar. The maximum wireless operating distance between the soundbar and subwoofer is approximately 50'.
Note: The wireless powered subwoofer is not magnetically shielded and should not be placed near your TV.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.