Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Harman Kardon Sabre SB35
Ultra-thin powered sound bar and wireless subwoofer with Bluetooth®
From Harman Kardon:Sabre SB35 sound bar/ subwoofer
Item # 532SB35 | MFR # SABRE35AM
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Harman Kardon Sabre SB35 by Crutchfield's David Brown
The super skinny sound bar
Your TV is thin. Why can't your sound bar be thin, too? That's the question Harman Kardon has answered with the ultra-slim Sabre SB35. After all, sound bar systems are designed to match your flat-panel TV's gorgeous picture with rich, room-filling sound. Well, the Sabre matches your TV's form as well, without compromising sound quality. Only 1-1/4 inches thick, the Sabre features a built-in 8-channel amplifier powering 10 drivers for detailed stereo or multichannel sound. Harman's Wave technology uses advanced digital signal processing to create realistic virtual surround sound designed to offer every seat an immersive listening experience.
The sub isn't exactly fat
No, the Sabre's wireless subwoofer isn't as thin as the bar. But at just 3-3/8 inches deep, it comes much closer than you might expect. The unique, slim design and wireless connectivity make this sub easy to place in tight spaces. Still having trouble finding a spot for it? Try mounting it on the wall with the included hardware. That's something you can't even consider with most subwoofers. Harman's made it as easy as possible to enjoy the deep bass that brings your home theater that much closer to the real thing.
The SB35's slim subwoofer is wall-mountable and offers wireless connectivity with the bar for deep bass you can fit almost anywhere.
The benefits of HDMI
The Sabre SB35 offers an easy one-cable connection to your compatible TV with a supplied optical cable. But if you really want to take advantage of this system's capabilities, connect your Blu-ray player to one of the bar's three micro HDMI inputs. Then you can use the built-in Dolby® and DTS® high-resolution decoding for the best possible sound — in stereo or multichannel. Using the HDMI connection to your TV also lets you use the Sabre's on-screen guide for setup and settings tweaks. It's much easier than blindly pushing buttons on the remote and hoping you're making the proper adjustments.
Wireless music streaming with Bluetooth
Most people think of sound bar systems as solutions for better TV sound. But the Sabre SB35 performs beautifully with music as well. And not just with CDs and concert movies. Get out your smartphone, tablet, or laptop and stream music wirelessly to this sound bar over Bluetooth. It's a simple way to access your entire digital music collection in your home theater, as well as tunes from music services like Pandora® or Spotify®.
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered sub
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 4' DC cord)
- Two 59" AC power cords
- Remote control (CR2025 battery installed)
- 40" HDMI type-A to microHDMI cable
- 39" Optical digital cable
- 46" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 41" IR repeater cable
- Tabletop stand (for soundbar)
- Wall-bracket (for soundbar)
- Floor stand (for sub)
- Wall-bracket (for sub)
- Cover plate
- 2 Mounting screws
- 2 Rubber pads
- Quick-Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- 20 watts x 4 + 15 watts X 4 (RMS power)
- six 1-3/4" midrange drivers and four 1" dome tweeters
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Harman Wave mode uses the bar's 10-channel driver array and advanced digital signal processing to deliver realistic surround sound
- Virtual mode creates a wider, deeper soundstage with stereo and multichannel sources
- built-in Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS HD decoding
- Harman Volume helps keep listening levels consistent across drastic volume shifts such as during commercials
- learns your TV remote's commands for single-remote use
- EQ switch to optimize bar for wall or table placement
- includes IR repeater to extend TV's infrared reception for use with TV remote
- HDMI switching: 3 micro HDMI in, 1 micro HDMI out (one micro-to-standard HDMI cable included)
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 3.5mm analog input (miniplug-to-RCA cable included)
- wall-mountable with included hardware
- 45-5/16"W x 4-11/16"H x 2-1/4"D
- weight: 5.7 lbs.
- 100-watt built-in amplifier
- dual 4-1/2" drivers
- ultra-slim bass-reflex (ported) design
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- adjustable crossover for seamless blending with the sound bar
- wall-mountable with included hardware
- volume control via included remote
- 18-3/8"W x 16-1/4"H x 8-5/16"D
- weight: 12.8 lbs.
- on-screen display allows you to view settings and options on your TV (requires HDMI connection)
- wall-mounting hardware and stands included for both bar and subwoofer
- system frequency response 43-22,000 Hz
- warranty: 1 year (electronics), 5 years (speakers)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Harman Kardon Sabre SB35 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||1" Dome (4)|
|Midrange||1.75" Cone (6)|
|Subwoofer Driver||4.5" (2)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||---|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||Yes|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||43-22k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||20 x 4 + 15 x 4|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|HDMI Inputs||3 (micro)|
|HDMI Outputs||1 (micro)|
|Sound Bar (inches)||4-11/16H x 45-5/16W x 2-1/4 D|
|Sound Bar Weight||12.8 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||16-1/4H x 18-3/8W x 8-5/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||12.8 lbs|
Harman/Kardon Home Theater Soundbar System: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 Home Theater Soundbar System offers a simpler alternative to your typical 5.1ch home theater speaker system. Not every room can accommodate five speakers and a subwoofer; and not everyone wants to deal with hooking up rear surround speakers. The Harman/Kardon SB 35 is a two-piece home theater system with an amplified soundbar speaker that connects directly to your TV/Blu-ray player/Satellite/Cable Box, and a wireless powered subwoofer that can be placed anywhere in your room. The SB 35 Home Theater Soundbar System delivers true Harman/Kardon sound, whether you are listening to music or watching a movie.
- Active Soundbar Speaker: The SB 35's active soundbar speaker is constructed of aluminum, designed ultra-thin, and fits elegantly alongside your flat-panel TV. The soundbar speaker contains four 1" tweeters and six 1.75" midrange drivers powered by a 15W x 4ch amplifier and 20W x 4ch amplifier. The H/K SB 35 simply plugs into your TV, Sat/Cable box, or Blu-ray player with a single analog or digital cable. Thanks to digital signal processing (DSP) with Harman Wave surround technology, the soundbar works in tandem with the included wireless powered subwoofer to provide a complete surround-sound experience.
- Wireless Powered Subwoofer: The SB 35's ultra-slime wireless
powered subwoofer offers you simplicity in terms of hookup & flexibility in
terms of placement. The powered subwoofer receives its signal from the
soundbar speaker via wireless technology, so you can place it anywhere in
your room without having to run any wires. With a dual 4.5" woofers and
built-in 100W amplifier, the wireless powered subwoofer delivers powerful
bass performance when combined with the system's soundbar speaker. And
thanks to the enclosure's dual bass ports, you can also expect higher bass
output. The system offers the following subwoofer controls.
- Bass Level: Use this level control (on Remote) to balance the subwoofer's volume with that of the soundbar.
- Low Pass Crossover: An adjustable subwoofer crossover (100-250Hz) lets you achieve a smooth transition of bass between the subwoofer and the soundbar for a variety of different rooms and subwoofer locations.
- Phase Switch: The Phase switch (0/180°) lets you fine-tune bass performance to your listening environment and taste.
- Auto Turn-On/Off: The subwoofer will automatically turn itself on when it receives an audio signal, and it will return to the Standby mode when it has received no audio signal for 10 minutes.
Note: Both the active soundbar speaker and wireless powered sub will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Harman NSP Surround Modes + Dolby Digital/DTS Decoding: Given that it's powered by exclusive Harman NSP surround technology, the SB 35 soundbar achieves a highly immersive surround sound environment thanks to extremely advanced digital signal processing (DSP), Dolby Digital/DTS decoding (via micro-HDMI or optical), and multi-speaker array. You can choose from the following Harman NSP Surround Modes.
- Harman Wave: The Harman WAVE mode employs extremely sophisticated digital signal processing that uses wave field synthesis to separately control direct and indirect soundfields, creating an impressive surround sound effect in even a large room and for many listeners seated over a large listening area. The Harman Wave mode features a Room Size adjustment that allows you to tailor the soundbar's energy field to match the size of your listening room (Small, Medium, or Large).
- Virtual: The Virtual mode simulates the reflected sounds that would be created by the rear channel speakers in a room with a dedicated surround-sound system. The soundbar's digital signal processing is specifically designed to maximize the useful listening area while reducing sonic colorations. This digital processing also enhances conventional stereo and MP3 sources by creating rear ambience that adds depth to the sound presentation.
- Stereo: The Stereo mode reproduces the input signal in conventional two-channel stereo. Digital equalization and digital crossover filters help achieve accurate performance for listeners in a variety of seating positions, not just those directly on the speaker's center line.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the SB 35 system, it's recommended that you switch off the sound coming from your TV's loudspeakers.
Variety of Connection Methods: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 soundbar speaker system offers micro-HDMI (v1.4), analog (3.5mm), digital (optical), and Bluetooth (A2DP) connectivity.
- micro-HDMI (v1.4) Connectivity: With three micro-HDMI inputs, the Harman/Kardon SB 35 provides convenient connection for multiple HDMI source components; such as your Satellite/Cable box, Blu-ray player, and game console. It also includes one micro-HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC), which sends the TV sound back to the soundbar. This setup simplifies switching and makes the system easier to use. The micro-HDMI inputs/output support up to 1080p video and Dolby Digital/DTS (5.1ch) audio.
- Analog + Digital Audio Inputs: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 features both analog (minijack) & digital (optical) inputs to connect your flat-panel TV and a Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box to the system. The optical digital input supports both PCM and Dolby Digital/DTS audio signals.
- Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 soundbar speaker supports Bluetooth (v.2.1+EDR) A2DP wireless audio streaming. This allows you to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device (such as your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/table, or computer/laptop) to the SB 35 soundbar speaker system. You will continue to navigate your music and view song/artist information from your Bluetooth-enabled device. This unit pairs with your Bluetooth-enabled device with a single press of a button. Once paired, the SB 35 will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33').
Harman Volume: Harman Volume helps you maintain the same volume level, no matter what you're watching; be it a film, TV show, or TV commercial.
On-Screen + Front-Panel Display: The on-screen display (via micro-HDMI) lets you control functions of the SB 35 soundbar speaker visually on your flat-panel TV. The on-screen display does not support song/artist information. There is also a front-panel display behind the soundbar speaker's grille which indicates source and volume adjustment.
Remote Control: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 soundbar speaker system comes with an IR remote control, can be programmed to respond your TV's remote, and offers a free remote app for Apple iOS/Android devices.
- IR Remote Control: The Harman/Kardon SB 35 comes with a credit card-sized IR remote for wireless operation. However, you can program the soundbar so it will respond to your TV remote's power on/off, mute, volume up/down, and source commands. This programming lets you control your whole home theater system with a single remote. In case the soundbar is blocking your television's IR receiver, insert the included IR repeater into the back of the soundbar and place it in front of the IR receiver of the television.
- Harman Kardon Remote App: Downloading the free Harman/Kardon
Remote app from the
iTunes App store onto your Apple iOS (5.0+) device or from the
Play Store onto your Android (2.2+) device lets you control the SB 35 soundbar
speaker system from your smartphone or tablet device. You'll also be able to
control your Apple iOS or Android device's stored music from the Harman/Kardon
- Source Selection: You'll be able to access and select all of the SB 35 speaker system's source inputs (micro-HDMI 1, micro-HDMI 2, micro-HDMI TV, Optical, Aux, or Bluetooth) through your Apple iOS or Android device with the Harmon/Kardon Remote app installed.
- Audio Settings: You have control of the SB 35 speaker system's Volume, Sub Level, Harman Volume, and Harman Display Surround Modes through the Harman/Kardon Remote app and your Apple iOS/Android device.
- Music Control: You can control all the music you have stored on your compatible Apple iOS/Android device through the Harman/Kardon Remote app. You'll be able to search your music by Song, Artist, Album, Playlist, and Genre. You also get basic playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Random. To access music apps, you'll need to exit the Harman/Kardon Remote app and select your desired music app on your iOS or Android device.
Mounting Options: You can place the SB 35 soundbar speaker on a shelf or tabletop, or wall-mount it with the included brackets. Because the system's powered subwoofer is wireless, you can position it practically anywhere in the room (up to 50'). The ultra-slim wireless sub can be sat on the floor with the included floor stand, slid under a couch without the stand, or wall mounted with the included wall-mount bracket. Dimensions vary based on mounting application.
- Soundbar Speaker:
- w/ table-top stand: 45.3125" (w) x 4.6875" (h) x 2.25" (d)
- w/ wall-mount bracket: 45.3125" (w) x 4.375" (h) x 1.125" (d)
- speaker only: 45.3125" (w) x 4.375" (h) x 1.0625" (d)
- Wireless Powered Sub:
- w/ floor stand: 18.375" (w) x 16.25" (h) 8.3125" (d)
- w/ wall-mount bracket: 18.375" (w) x 3.375" (h) x 15.3125"
- sub only: 18.375" (w) x 3.3125" (h) x 15.3125"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
This unit has 3 micro-HDMI inputs, an analog (mini-jack), and an optical audio inputs. You can also connect via Bluetooth. It has one micro-HDMI output. [ Jeff Dec 19, 2014 ] Staff