OEM CD Changer Adapter
1996-2002 BMW 3 and 5 Series / Pioneer CD Changer
Our take on the OEM CD Changer Adapter
You bought a 1996-2002 BMW 3 or 5 Series, and now the dealer is telling you that adding a CD changer will cost you a bundle. Here's a way to add CD changer entertainment to your vehicle, and save some cash! The Peripheral BMWPILA adapter allows you to connect a Pioneer CD changer (6- or 12-disc) to certain 1996-2002 BMW-built radios with CD controls. Keep in mind that these adapters are not universal each adapter works only in specific vehicles. Please check with us before purchasing by using the vehicle selector on our site, or calling a Sales Advisor at 1-888-955-6000.
The BMWPILA adapter can be used with any 1996-2002 BMW-built vehicle with CD changer controlling capability that uses the factory 3-pin and 6-pin connectors (found in the trunk). In a BMW 3 Series vehicle, the adapter allows the use of a Pioneer 6- or 12-disc changer (the radio display cannot show discs 10, 11, and 12 when connected to the 12-disc unit). When using this adapter with compatible 5 series BMWs, only a Pioneer CDX-P670 6-disc CD changer can be used, and the random function will not work.
Important Note: In all instances, a wire must be run from the ignition to the BMWPILA adapter.
What's in the Box:
- CD changer interface adapter
- Instruction sheet
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
FeaturesCompatibility: This adapter interfaces with compatible 3 and 5 series BMWs, allowing the factory radio to control certain Pioneer P-bus changers. When using this adapter with compatible 5 series BMWs, only the Pioneer CDX-P670 or CDX-P650 6-disc CD changers can be used, and the random function will not work. Note: Please, check Auto Install Guide to verify compatibility.
Disc Selection: When a compatible Pioneer 12-disc changer is being used with a 3 series BMW, discs 7-12 are directly accessed by pressing the factory radio's preset button 1 twice for disc 7, 2 twice for disc 8, and so on. The factory radio's display cannot display discs 10, 11, 12, so when these discs are selected, the display will blink "1" then "0" for disc 10, "1" then "1" for disc 11, and "1" then "2" for disc 12.
Aux Audio Input: On one end of the adapter there is a set of female RCA inputs, which can accept signals from portable audio sources such as portable cassette, MD and MP3 players. There is a wire that must be connected to ground to activate the aux input. For convenient operation, the trigger wire should be extended and connected to an optional rocker/toggle switch in the front of the vehicle. Connecting the wire to a switch that can make/break the connection to ground will allow you to turn the aux audio input on/off from the driver's seat.
- 8" Red Wire: This wire must be extended, then connected to a switched power source. If there is not a switched power source in the back of your vehicle, the wire will need to run to a power source in the passenger compartment of the vehicle (switched power can be found in the fuse box and wiring harnesses behind/under the dash).
- 3-pin Connector: This connector accepts a plug from the vehicle's factory CD changer wiring.
- 6-pin Connector: This connector accepts a plug from the vehicle's factory CD changer wiring.
- 12" Changer Control Cable: This cable is terminated with a P-Bus connector, and it plugs into an optional CD changer.
- 11" Wiring Harness: The harness includes a yellow constant power wire and a black ground wire, and it plugs into an optional CD changer.
- 8" Gray Wire: When connected to ground, this wire activates the optional RCA audio inputs. For convenient operation, this wire should be extended and connected to an optional rocker/toggle switch in the front of the vehicle; this set-up will allow you to turn the aux audio input on/off from the driver's seat.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.