1-source, 4-zone A-BUS distribution hub
Our take on the Russound A-H4 by Crutchfield's Tara W.
The A-H4 is a four-zone expansion hub for Russound A-BUS systems. With the A-H4 connected to a receiver or preamp, you can select any of your audio sources and send music to up to four rooms. You can also connect the A-H4 to an additional A-BUS hub, expanding your system to more locations around your home. The A-H4 works with Russound amplified volume controls and is compatible with Russound IR (infrared) emitters. It's designed for surface-mounting, such as on a shelf or in your equipment rack.
- 1-source, 4-zone surface-mount A-BUS distribution hub
- compatible with A-BUS keypads
- gold-plated left and right RCA inputs and outputs
- four RJ-45 jacks for connecting keypads using CAT-5 cable
- uses A-PS 4-amp power supply (not included)
- four IR (infrared) outputs for connecting optional IR flashers
- recommended accessories for installation: in-wall speaker wire and CAT-5 cable
- 6-1/2"W x 3"H x 1-1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- A-H4 IR Surface Mount Audio Hub
- Instruction Manual
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
A-BUS System Overview: Instead of multi-channel amplifiers, speaker selector boxes, autoformers, impedance-matching equipment and long runs of expensive speaker wire, A-BUS audio distribution includes amplified in-wall volume controls, and wiring installation time is significantly reduced as only a single 8-connector CAT-5 wire (not included) is run to each location. Simply add A-BUS to your existing stereo/home theater system with the A-H4 4-Zone Hub and the A-BUS A-KP2 Amplified Controls (not included) will provide independent volume and source control to each room where an A-BUS module is installed. Each control contains a stereo amplifier rated to deliver 7.5 watts RMS per channel; the AC current to power each amplifier is delivered via the CAT-5 cable. The system also includes IR remote sensing and retransmission to let you control your components from any of the volume control locations.
A-BUS Distribution Hub: The A-H4 is the system's primary interface with your existing system; all components of the A-BUS system must be wired to this component. Includes stereo RCA inputs (and outputs, to route the signal back to your receiver or onto a second A-H4 module), jacks for IR emitters, and RJ45 jacks for connecting four CAT-5 cables.
Status Feature: The Status feature provides two functions - Visually confirms when the source component is on / When the source component is turned off, all Amplified Modules will also turn off. The Status feature requires that the source component has a switched AC outlet. To enable the Status feature:
Note: When the source is on and supplying status voltage to the Hub, the Amplified Module's LED indicator will illuminate green. When the source is turned off, all Amplified Modules that are on will also turn off (the optional A-VC2 will mute)
- Move the status jumper on all Amplified Modules to the "Enabled" position
- Move the status switch on the Hub to "STATUS" position
- Using an optional Russound Model 846C 120V/12VDC or comparable adapter, connect the coaxial plug end to the STATUS input on the Hub, and plug the adapter into a switched AC outlet on the source component.
Inputs and Outputs:
- 4 RJ45 CAT-5 jacks: Communicate directly with the A-KP2 amplified keypads (not included). CAT-5 cable is recommended for cable runs of not more than 250 feet. You will need to terminate your CAT-5 cable with RJ45 plugs.
- DC Power input: Accepts connection from the A-PS 4-amp power supply (not included). There is a red LED that illuminates when power is connected.
- DC Status input: If you intend to use the System Status feature of the A-BUS system, a Russound Model 846C Power Supply (not included) can be connected to the status input on the A-H4. The power supply should then be plugged into a switched AC receptacle, usually on the back of the audio receiver being used. There is a green LED that illuminates when a System Status Power Supply is connected and power is on.
- Link In/Link Out: Dual RJ45 jacks used to connect the A-H4 Hub to additional A-H4s or to other A-BUS single-source Hubs or an A-BUS-Ready stereo receiver in order to increase the number of zones in a system. The Link connects the Common IR, Status, and the audio source signal (note: each Hub requires its own A-PS power supply!). The Link Out can also be used to directly connect just one additional Amplified Module.
- 4 Common IR Outputs: Connect the 1/8" plug from the 1584.1 or 845.1 Micro-Emitter (not included) to one of these jacks to send the IR signal to your source components. If you use four 1584.1 Micro-Emitters (not included), you can control up to 8 IR-controlled devices. There is a red LED to confirm when IR commands are received.
- Audio In: Left & Right gold-plated RCA jacks accept a line-level signal from your source component.
- Audio Out: Left & Right gold-plated RCA jacks. This buffered audio output can be used to connect to an additional A-H4, or to an amplifier or processor.
- Power Supply: A-PS (24VDC/4A)
- Status Power: 12VDC/100mA
- Keypad Connection: RJ-45 T568A Standard
- Link Connection: RJ-45 T568A Standard
- Emitter Connections: 1/8" Male. Tip (+), sleeve (-)
- Dimensions: 6.5" wide x 3" high x 1.5" deep (including all protrusions)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.