Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Russound CAS44K 4-source, 4-room Audio System
Multi-room music system with in-wall keypads and remote
Item # 543CAS44K | MFR # 1210-528378
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Russound CAS44K 4-source, 4-room Audio System by Crutchfield's Tara W.
Enjoy music throughout your home with Russound's CAS44 multi-room music system. This package lets you connect as many as four audio sources, like CD changers, audio/video receivers, and satellite radio tuners, and listen to them in four different areas of your house.
Custom-tailored advice before and after you buy
Installing this system requires you to run wires in your walls, unless your home is already wired with CAT-5 and speaker cables. Our Audio/Video Designers can help you put together the ideal system from planning the wire run to picking out speakers. Plus, our tech support specialists can help you through your installation step-by-step.
Control the system's central amplifier with in-wall keypads
This system includes four keypads that let you control playback in your different listening rooms. They feature easy-to-use controls for muting or adjusting the volume of your music, and a built-in IR (infrared) sensor for operating your system with the included wireless remote. The remote allows you to turn the entire system on or off with the press of a button, and you can program it to operate your audio source components.
The keypads connect to a central controller/amplifier via in-wall CAT-5 cable. The amplifier delivers a solid 20 watts of power to each speaker in your system for smooth, well-defined sound.
Want to listen to your music in more than four rooms? By adding extra controller/amplifiers, keypads, and optional hardware, you can distribute music in more areas of your home.
Standard "single-gang" junction boxes and Decora-style wall plates needed for installation of keypads.
- distributes music from up to four sources to as many as four listening areas in your home
- system includes:
- recommended accessories for installation: Decora-style wall plates, in-wall speaker wire and CAT-5 cable
- expandable with additional components and keypads
- 4 RCA stereo inputs for connecting source components
- 4 pairs of speaker binding posts
- 20 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms
- 4 RJ-45 ports connect to in-wall keypads using CAT-5 cable
- RS-232 port for integrating a third-party home automation system
- 2 IR outputs (2 dual infrared emitters included)
- mute trigger allows you to connect an external paging system or doorbell
- universal learning remote operates connected audio components through IR sensor on system keypads
- 16-15/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 12-15/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
CAS44 KP4 keypad:
- backlit buttons with amber illumination
- controls power, source selection, volume, bass, treble, and balance
- 110-type punchdown terminating block for CAT-5 cable (punchdown tool included)
- installs in wall in a single-gang electrical box
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- CAS44 Multi-zone controller amplifier
- 4 KP4 keypads with white inserts installed
- 4 Almond colored replacement inserts
- 4 Sheets of keypad source labels (left side)
- 4 Sheets of keypad source labels (right side)
- CAS-RC wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" Batteries
- Two 1584.1 Dual IR micro-emitters
- 3' Mono mini cord
- 12 Additional emitter adhesive pads
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 8 bracket machine screws
- 8 Keypad mounting screws
- HT-318 Punch down tool
- 68" AC power cord
- Two additional serial number stickers
- System owner's manual
- KP4 Keypad instructions
- Remote user guide
Overview: The CAS44K is a multi-room control and amplifier system. Included are the CAS44 main unit, 4 KP4 remote keypads, a CAS-RC learning and pre-programmed wireless remote, 2 dual IR emitters, and a mono mini-jack cable (to transfer IR commands from the CAS44 to another component).
Note: Neither source components nor speakers are included with this package.
CAS44: The CAS44 is the amplifier and control center for the system; its features include:
- Inputs: There are four analog stereo inputs (RCA) to connect four source components; CD player, digital music server, iPod, tuner, etc.
- Speaker Outputs: The CAS44 powers four pair of speakers in four different zones (locations). Each pair of speakers' wires attach to a modular snap connector, which then plugs into the back panel. The power output is 20 watts RMS per channel measured into 8Ω from 20 Hz-20kHz with no more than 0.1% THD, the S/N is 90 dB, and the minimum recommended speaker impedance is 8Ω.
- Keypad Ports: The four keypads are wired to the CAS44 using CAT5 cable. The rear panel ports use RJ-45 connectors. Like the four speaker outputs, the four keypads correspond to four independent zones. Both the KP4 keypads (included with this system package) and the KPL keypads are compatible with the CAS44.
- RS-232: An RS-232 port allows control of the CAS44 by a computer, home automation system, or another device with an RS-232 interface. Firmware updates are also downloaded using this port.
- IR Outputs: Two 3.5mm mini-jacks pass IR commands from all the connected keypads to the source components via the two included dual IR emitters.
- Mute Input: When 12 volts DC is applied to this 3.5mm mini-jack the system will mute the speakers in all four zones; this might connect to a doorbell or paging system.
- Trigger Output: When any zone is turned on 12 volts DC is output from this 3.5mm mini-jack; this can trigger an external amp or source component to turn on. The output is turned off 5 minutes after the last zone is turned off.
KP4 Remote Keypads: The keypads are typically mounted in the remote zones, giving you local control of that zone; its features include:
- Backlit: The buttons are backlit in amber.
- Color: Out of the box a white insert is installed on the keypad. An almond colored replacement insert is also included.
- Controls: Basic functions are easily controlled by the keypad; power, source selection, volume, bass, treble, loudness (on/off), and balance (left/right). You can also specify the zone's default turn-on volume. The entire system (all 4 zones) can be turned off from any keypad. A receiver on the face of the keypad relays IR remote commands to the CAS44, giving you more complete control of the system using the included CAS-RC remote or an optional universal remote. The CAS44 can also send these IR commands to your compatible source components.
- Mounting: The Decora style keypad mounts in a standard single-gang electrical box. Note: No Decora cover plate is included with the system.
- Source Labels: 8 sheets of labels are included, two for each keypad. They include CD, CD 1, CD 2, DVD, DVR, AM/FM, AM/FM 1, AM/FM 2, Tape, Sat, XM 1, XM 2, SIRIUS, Server 1, Server 2, Server 3, iPod, Radio, Cable, and VCR.
CAS-RC: The CSA-RC remote is designed to control the CSA44 controller/amplifier from any of the 4 zones. In addition to controlling the CSA44, it will control 4 connected source components using the IR emitters included with the system. The CSA-RC is pre-coded with commands for a wide variety of components from numerous manufacturers. It can also learn commands from an existing remote.
IR Emitters: Two dual IR emitters are included with the system, each having a 10' cable. One end of each cable has a single 3.5mm mini-jack that plugs into the rear panel of the CAS44. The other end has two small IR emitters, designed to mount directly to the IR receivers of your source components. The cable splits into two emitter leads 3' from the end, and each emitter is attached to different components.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.