Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
8-channel multi-room power amplifier
Item # 543R850MC | MFR # 2800-521904
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Russound R850MC by Crutchfield's Tara W.
Power your multi-room music system with the Russound R850MC, and enjoy warm stereo sound in as many as four rooms. This eight-channel amplifier offers flexible configuration and control options that allow you to tailor a whole-house audio setup to your specific needs.
The R850MC can distribute music from one audio source, like a CD changer, to multiple rooms in your home. Or you can connect up to four separate sources and play a different one in each listening room. Each of the amplifier's playback "zones" features independent left- and right-channel gain controls so you can adjust its output for each room in your system. For music playback in more than four rooms, daisy-chain together multiple Russound amplifiers.
Custom-tailored advice — before and after you buy
Installing this amplifier usually requires you to run speaker cable in your walls, unless your home is already pre-wired. Our Audio/Video Designers can help you map out the details. Plus, our tech support specialists can help you through your installation step-by-step.
What's in the Box:
- R850MC 4-zone 8-channel power amplifier
- 2 Metal rack mounting ears
- 10 Screws (Length=1/4")
- 6.5' AC power cord
- User's Manual
- Sheet with 2 serial number stickers
- 8-channel amplifier with 4 independent playback zones
- 4 independent playback zones
- 35 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms (all channels driven)
- 50 watts RMS per channel at 4 ohms (all channels driven)
- adjacent channels are bridgeable to 100 watts RMS into 8 ohms (all channels driven)
- 4 stereo RCA audio inputs, one for each zone
- auto-sensing inputs turn on each zone separately when an input signal is detected
- independent left and right gain controls for each zone
- cascade BUS input/output for "daisy-chaining" additional amplifiers
- removable AC power cord
- weight: 38.1 lbs.
- 16-15/16"W x 5-7/8"H x 18-3/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The Russound R850MC is a 4-zone/8-channel power amplifier ideal for use as the main amplifier in home theater and distributed audio systems. The 8 channels are arranged in pairs to provide amplification for four stereo zones. The R850MC provides an array of useful features such as auto-sensing line inputs, bridged mono operation, independent zone triggering, bus inputs and multiple speaker outputs per zone to meet a wide variety of applications and configurations.
8-Channel Power Amplifier: The R850MC is rated at 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 80 watts per channel into 4 ohms (single zone driven). With a zone's mode switch set in the Bridge Mono position, both channels in the zone are combined for a mono output of 140 watts into an 8-ohm load. All of this power is supplied by two high-output toroidal transformers. Each amplifier output channel includes robust protection circuitry for safety and reliability under extreme circumstances.
System Configuration: The Russound R850MC can be configured as the main amplifier for an audio distribution system or home theater system.
- Audio Distribution System: When used with an audio distribution preamp, each zone can independently drive one of several different sources by using each zone's individual line audio inputs, or a pair of zones can be bridged to create a higher power zone.
- Home Theater System: When the R850MC is used as a home theater amplifier, three zones can be bridged to provide high power for the front and center channels and the remaining zone can be used for the surround effects.
Bridged Operation: When the amplifier is in Bridged mode operation, both the left and right channels are combined for a higher power mono output. For bridged amplifier operation, connect an 8-ohm minimum load to the Speaker B outputs and the line level outputs from your source to the left line level inputs of this amplifier.
Zone Indicator LEDs: The four LEDs on the unit's front-panel correspond to the R850MC's four stereo zone amplifiers. The LEDs will illuminate red when the amplifier power is on and a zone is in standby. The LEDs will illuminate green when a zone is active.
Controls: All controls of the R850MC are found on the unit's rear-panel.
- Power Switch: Turns the amplifier on or off. This switch does not disconnect the main power feed from the amplifier; this requires that the power cord be unplugged from the outlet.
- Gain Controls: Left and Right gain controls independently adjust the sound level for each channel. When used in the bridged mode only the Left control is used.
- Line/Bus Switch: Sets the zone input to the Line audio input or the Bus input.
- Delay Time Dial: Muting delay can be adjusted from 0.5 minute to 4.5 minutes. When an audio signal is not present, the amplifier will automatically go into standby mode after the preset period of time. When set to maximum, the amplifier will stay active and not go into standby.
- Stereo/Bridge Mono Switch: Sets each zone amplifier for stereo or bridged mono operation.
Connections: All connections are found on the rear-panel of the Russound 4-zone/8-channel power amplifier.
- Bus Input/Output: The stereo RCA bus line input is an optional input that can be used to connect a single source to multiple zones. The stereo RCA bus line output is a passive pass-through of the bus input and can be used to daisy chaining the source to other amplifiers in your system.
- Line Input: The stereo RCA line audio input for each zone is a dedicated sensing input that will activate the zone when an audio signal from a source is present.
- Speaker Outputs: The A and B speaker outputs are in parallel to the amplifier output. The minimum speaker impedance for stereo mode operation is 4-ohms for one pair, and 8-ohms for two pairs of speakers. The minimum impedance for bridged mode operation is 8-ohms for Speaker B only.
- 12VDC Trigger In/Out: The 3.5m 12V Trigger Input is used to activate a zone. The 3.5mm 12V Trigger Output provides 100mA 12V max. This can be used to drive other 12V triggered devices. The delay and audio sensing are bypassed when the 12V trigger input is used.
- Fuse Receptacle: Holds a replaceable fuse for AC power input connections. Fuse rating is T10AL 250V.
- AC Input: The AC voltage input is 120VAC at 60Hz. This receptacle accepts a 3-prong IEC 20 type connector. A detachable 6 foot, 3-terminal power cord is included.
Thermal Protection: The Russound 4-zone/8-channel power amplifier is designed with special circuitry to safeguard the amplifier under a thermal overload condition. Thermal Protection mode can only engage when the unit has been run at high volume for extended periods of time without adequate ventilation and/or when speaker impedances are below the minimum levels for the amplifier.
Protection Circuitry: This Russound multi-zone/multi-channel power amplifier is designed with special circuitry to safeguard the amplifier under a short-circuit condition. A faulty speaker can also cause a short circuit condition. The front panel LED illuminates orange when the amplifier is in short circuit protection.
Rack Mounting: The R850MC amplifier can be rack mounted using the included rack-mount ears and hardware. The amplifier will take 3 rack spaces with the feet removed.
- Single Zone Maximum Output Power: 0.1%THD+N; f = 1kHz
- 50W per channel, 2 channels at 8 ohms
- 80W per channel, 2 channels at 4 ohms
- 140W at 8 ohms, 2 channels bridged
- All Zones Continuous Output Power: 0.1%THD+N; f = 1kHz
- 35W per channel, 8 channels at 8 ohms
- 50W per channel, 8 channels at 4 ohms
- 100W at 8 ohms, each zone bridged
- THD+N: <0.05% 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz
- Signal-to-Noise-Ratio: >100dB
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 0.3dB
- Input Sensitivity:
- 70mV for 1W at 8 ohms
- 500mV for 50W at 8 ohms
- Input Impedance: 47k ohms Line Input
- Voltage Gain: 32 dB
- Delay Time: 0.5 to 4.5 minutes
- Input Trigger: 12VDC 10 kohms
- Output Trigger: 12VDC 100mA
- Power Requirements: 120VAC 60Hz 5A
- Dimensions: 16.9375" W x 5.824" H x 18.1875" D
- Weight: 38.1 lbs
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
3 questions already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Russound 8 channel multi-room power amplifier can certainly be used with the Sony STR-DA5800ES2 receiver. The Russound amplifier can be added to the Sony's Zone 2 and/or Zone 3 outputs, for expanding the number of speakers in each zone. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 22, 2015 ] Staff
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff Apr 09, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: No. The Pioneer VSX-822 does not have a full range RCA output to connected in to the Russound. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jun 16, 2014 ] Staff