Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Stereo integrated amplifier with built-in DAC
Item # 580A9070 | MFR # A-9070
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo A-9070 by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
An integrated amp with... integrity
Stereo. Two track for two ears. Still the gold standard for so much music listening today. Onkyo honors the simplicity and purity of stereo delivery with the A-9070 integrated amp, a meticulously engineered component that lives to treat both channels of your music with intensive, calibrated, and individualized attention.
There's plenty of power for demanding speakers. 75 watts pure channel of toned sonic muscle. High Instantaneous-Current Capability (HICC) uses four beefy on-board capacitors to provide instant energy for fast transients and punchy percussive attacks, while providing authoritative control to assist the speakers' fast recovery for the next musical challenge.
With the A-9070 integrated amp, Onkyo has declared war on distortion. Their Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry (DIDRC) helps to dampen and reduce super high frequency distortion, a common issue for today's digital music sources. Parallel push-pull amplification works to reduce other possible sources of distortion to inaudible levels. The unit's case is constructed with vibration damping in mind, to reduce yet another possible source of sound degradation. And despite tipping the scale at a hair under 40 lbs., it's attractive: sleek and minimalist.
Your digital sources, polished
The A-9070's blend of power and precision can put fresh sparkle in classic music sources like a turntable or tape deck. And Onkyo is dead serious about making the most out of your digital sources. Two Wolfson® 24-bit/192 kHz digital-to-analog converters (DACs), dedicated to each channel, take a stream of 1s and 0s entering the unit from the optical and coaxial digital inputs and build them into beautiful music. Many of the A-9070's competitors need an external DAC to interface with disc players or streaming digital media players like a Sonos Connect® or Apple TV®. Onkyo coddled your digital sources with world-class circuitry, without the need for any additional purchases.
A "transformer" too
You might not need other components once deemed essential, either. This amp has four discrete modes that effectively turn it into three separate components. Its primary function is as an integrated amp, of course, but you can also use its preamp section to feed a separate power amp, or use its power amp with a preamp or receiver. Plus there's a split preamp/power amp mode that allows you to splice in a component in the path, like an equalizer. This unique flexibility means the A-9070 can be an excellent add-on upgrade for your home theater receiver, giving you options for great stereo music and extra power for your surround setup. And that's just one possible configuration. However you use the A-9070 in your system, you'll appreciate the build quality and attention to detail evident in touches like the machined, gold-plated input and output terminals.
Clean and clear sound.Nice to have built in Dac.
Mark, Aspen Hill,Maryland
What's in the Box:
- Integrated stereo amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC-830S)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Instruction Manual (En)
- Instruction Manual (Fr/Sp)
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
- 75 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- 140 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- separate Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for left and right channels ensure high-quality analog output from digital sources
- Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry (DIDRC) reduces perceptible noise generated by digital devices
- parallel push-pull amplification paired with three-stage inverted Darlington circuitry reduces distortion to inaudible levels
- high instantaneous-current capability (HICC) deploys up to 100 amperes to handle demanding speakers
- closed ground-loop circuits minimize individual circuit noise and reject ground potential distortion
- 4 amplifier modes: unit can be run as preamp, integrated amp, power amp, or in split preamp/power amp mode so that an additional component can be inserted along the signal path
- signal-to-noise ratio: 107 dB (line, IHF-A), 60 dB (phono MM), 70 dB (phono MC)
- independent headphone amplifier ensures solid signal for high-end headphones
- built-in phono preamp for use with moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges
- 3 digital audio inputs (2 coax, 1 optical)
- 4 RCA audio inputs, including MM/MC phono input
- preamp out/main in jacks
- front-panel headphone jack
- front-panel switching for 2 pairs of speakers
- gold-plated binding-post speaker connectors
- detachable power cord
- remote control
- weight: 39.9 lbs.
- 17-1/8"W x 6-13/16"H x 18-5/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Onkyo A-9070 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||75|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||140|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||107|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||4|
|Optical Digital Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||2|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Integrated Stereo Amplifier: The Onkyo A-9070 features a 2-channel amplifier rated at 75 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20k, with 0.05%, driving 2 channels) or 140 watts (into 4-ohms, at 20-20k, with 0.05%, driving 2 channels).
Push-Pull Design (with 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry): The Onkyo A-9070 integrated amplifier employs an efficient push-pull amplification design. This push-pull amplification design uses different transistors on each channel to separately amplify the positive & negative halves of the waveform. Meanwhile, 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry helps reduce distortion at the output stage. Together with the push-pull amplifier design, the 3-stage inverted Darlington Circuitry shapes a clean, consistent signal to send to the outputs for ultra-low distortion & greater sound quality.
AWRAT (Advanced Wide Range Amp Technology): Onkyo's advanced AWRAT design for power amplification comprises the following technologies to ensure optimal audio performance..
- DIDRC (Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry): Since the advent of digital audio, signal-to-noise ratios have improved dramatically. However, the S/N ratio reflects static noise only, and takes no account of another type of noise that occurs as the byproduct of sound reproduction; dynamic noise. To reduce this type of noise, Onkyo has developed DIDRC technology. Despite being beyond the normal range of human hearing, frequencies above 100 kHz are susceptible to clock pulse and other forms of distortion from digital devices. Such distortion in the super-high-frequency range can generate "beat interference", which in turn affects the character of the original sound. By improving linearity and reducing distortion in the super-high frequency range, Onkyo's new DIDRC technology effectively reduces perceptible noise and delivers clearer, truer audio.
- Low NFB (Negative-Feedback Design): Too much NFB makes a system susceptible to counter-electromotive force from the speakers, resulting in a drop in perceived sound quality. To avoid this, Onkyo focuses on improving the frequency response and reducing distortion, without relying so much on NFB.
- Closed Ground-Loop Circuits: AWRAT amplifiers employ a sophisticated closed-circuit design in which each circuit has a separate link to the power supply. This helps to cancel individual circuit noise and keep the ground potential free of distortion.
- HICC (High Instantaneous-Current Capability): HICC enables an AWRAT amplifier to immediately cancel the speakers' reflex energy and instantaneously send out the next signal. The same high current required to achieve this also supports the amplifier's ability to handle speaker impedance fluctuations.
- Symmetrical Twin-Monaural Construction: Power devices for the left and right channels of an AWRAT amplifier is aligned symmetrically. Each channel has the same electrical and structural design, and signal pathways are uniform in length. This helps to minimize errors in stereophonic playback.
New Circuit Board Construction w/ Internal Struts to Reduce Vibration: Rather than being directly connected to the chassis base, the circuit boards inside the A-9070 are cushioned by internal struts and affixed to the front, side, and rear panels. This method of construction prevents vibrations from the chassis from adversely affecting the circuit boards
Dual Wolfson 24-bit/192kHz DACs: High-quality Wolfson DACs work to optimize analog audio performance on the A-9070. The integrated amp features dual 24-bit WM8742 DACs, which support sampling rates of up to 192 kHz. Although these DACs are specified to handle two-channel audio on a single chip, Onkyo employs separate chips for each stereo channel to ensure the most accurate digital-to-analog conversion.
PLL Ultra-Low Jitter Technology: Jitter is an unwanted side-effect of the digital-to-analog conversion process caused by fluctuations in the time domain of a digital signal. PLL ultra-low jitter technology reduces jitter by comparing the input and output phases of the digital signal and creating an accurate clock waveform. This enhances the precision of digital signal processing and noticeably improves perceived audio quality.
Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Conventional volume-attenuation methods involve initially dropping a signal close to the amplifier's natural noise floor at low volumes. The signal can then become tainted with noise, which subsequently gets amplified along with the signal. Onkyo's Optimum Gain Volume Control Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the typical amount of attenuation is necessary. The signal never comes close to the noise floor, and the result is noticeably clearer sound when compared to conventional amplifier designs.
Phase Matching Bass Technology: From the warm low notes produced by a cello to the deep frequencies of electronic music, a good audio system should be able to deliver plenty of bass response. While many bass enhancement circuitries effectively boost low-frequency sound, they are often prone to the effects of phase shifting, which can overwhelm mid-range frequencies and muddy the sound. Onkyo's Phase-Matching Bass Boost Technology effectively preserves mid-range clarity-allowing vocals and strings to sound great; while maintaining a smooth, powerful bass response at all volume levels.
High Output Transformer: At the heart of this integrated amplifier, you'll find a power supply that can maintain or increase output power as required. Musically, this means that you'll have deep, powerful bass; wide-ranging dynamics; musical peaks that sound composed; and correct timbre and sound staging. The A-9070's high-output power transformer, four 15,000 μF capacitors, and low-impedance copper bus bars work in concert to enhance the power and fidelity of your audio sources.
Anti-Resonant Chassis: To prevent vibration, a 1.6mm anti-resonant chassis is used to isolate the audio signal from any interference during the amplification process. This rugged chassis is superbly finished with an aluminum front panel and volume control.
Independent Headphone Amplifier: The Onkyo A-9070 features a built-in, independent headphone amplifier and a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack. You can adjust the volume of the headphone amp independently from the integrated amp's main volume. You can adjust the headphone level from -12dB to + 12dB.
Four Discrete Amplifier Modes: At the turn of a knob, the Onkyo A-9070 can be configured to run in any one of four distinct modes. Depending on how you want to integrate it into your hi-fi system, you can use it as an integrated amp, as a power amp, or as a pre-amp. On top of that, you can also set up the A-9070 in split mode. This enables the pre-amp and power amp to work separately, so you can incorporate another device, such as an equalizer.
A/B Speaker Selector: You can choose to output sound from Speakers A, Speakers B or both Speakers A &B.
Tone Control: You can independently adjust the Bass (100Hz) and Treble (10kHz) of the Onkyo A-9070 from -14 to +14 dB; as well as adjust the balance of the left and right speakers.
Direct Mode: By bypassing the tone control circuit, the Direct Mode uses the shortest path for enhanced sound quality. Also, since the left/right balance setting doesn't affect the sound quality, the balance can still be adjusted even if the Direct Mode is enabled.
De-Emphasis Function: When a signal treated for treble emphasis (pre-emphasis) is detected, the integrated amplifier is designed to restore the original signal characteristics via the "de-emphasis" process. This function only applies to the following digital audio sampling rates - 32kHz, 44.1kHz, & 48kHz (other sampling rates are not supported).
Auto Standby: When the Auto Standby function is activated, the integrated amplifier will automatically enter Standby mode if there is no operation and no audio signal input for 30 minutes.
Remote Control: The Onkyo A-9070 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the integrated amplifier and RI-connected Onkyo components.
RI (Remote Interactive) Control: Onkyo's RI system lets you operate multiple RI-compatible Onkyo audio components through a single remote control. On the rear-panel of the A-9070, you'll find two RI ports (3.5mm) to link another Onkyo component (such as a CD player, iPod dock, or tuner), enabling limited control of your setup using the integrated amp's remote.
- Auto Power On: When you start playback of an Onkyo component connected via RI while the integrated amplifier is in Standby mode, the integrated amp will automatically turn on and select that component as the input source.
- Direct Change: When playback is started from an Onkyo component connected via RI, the integrated amp automatically selects that component as the input source.
- Remote Control: You can use the integrated amp's remote control to operate your RI connected Onkyo components by pointing the remote at the integrated amplifier's remote control sensor instead of the component.
- System Off: When you turn off the integrated amplifier, your RI connected Onkyo components will turn off automatically.
3 Digital Audio Inputs: The A-9070 features a 24-bit/96kHz optical (toslink) input and dual 24-bit/192kHz coaxial (RCA) inputs that can carry digital audio signals from source devices (such as a computer or laptop) for processing by the integrated amp's dual Wolfson 24-bit/192 kHz DACs. The digital inputs do not support multichannel audio signal; PCM signal only.
- Optical Input's Compatible Sampling Rates: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, & 96kHz
- Coaxial Input's Compatible Sampling Rates: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, & 192kHz
4 Analog Audio Inputs/1 Output: The Onkyo integrated amp offers 4 analog audio inputs; which include 3 gold-plated RCA inputs and 1 gold-plated Phono input (MM/MC). There is also a stereo RCA line-output for connecting a recording device.
Note: You can change the name of the currently selected analog or digital input (not Phono input). Choose from CD, SACD, MD, Tape, Tuner, TV, Game, PC, or Dock. You can also hide the display of inputs that are not being used.
Main In Jacks: The stereo RCA Main Input jacks allow you to connect an equalizer or preamplifier to the Onkyo A-9070.
Speaker A/B Terminals: The Onkyo A-9070 is equipped with A & B speaker terminals to connect up to two pair of speakers. The receiver uses gold-plated binding post connectors for the A & B speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs; they will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin connectors, single banana plugs, and dual banana plugs. You can output sound to only Speaker A, only Speaker B, or both A & B Speaker. You can also choose to bi-wire a single of pair of speaker using the integrated amp's A &B speaker terminals. This provides improved bass and treble performance.
Note: If you are connecting only one pair of speakers, you can use speakers with an impedance of 4- to 16-ohm. If you are connecting two pair of speakers, you can use speakers with an impedance of 8- to 16-ohm.
Preamp Outputs: The A-9070's gold-plated stereo preamp outputs allow you to connect the integrated amplifier to a power amp, so it can be used as a preamplifier.
1/4" Headphone Jack: The A-9070 is fitted with a front-panel 1/4" headphone jack to connect a set of headphones for private listening. While headphones are connected, no sound is output from the integrated amplifier's speaker terminals or preamp outputs.
RI Remote Control Jacks: The two 1/8" RI remote control jacks allow you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The A-9070 includes a detachable 6' AC power cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.