Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® dock with Apple AirPlay®
Item # 580DSA5 | MFR # DSA5
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo DS-A5 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Own an iPhone, iPod, or iPad? And a recent Onkyo receiver? Get them together with the Onkyo DS-A5 dock. This dock connects via Wi-Fi® to your home network and adds wireless AirPlay music streaming to your connected receiver.
Of course you can enjoy all the audio from your docked player played through your audio system. But thanks to AirPlay you can do more. Through the DS-A5, you can wirelessly stream music from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch® in your hand to your audio system. Plus, you can also stream music fthrough your home network from your computer's iTunes® library.
The DS-A5 provides two ways to get audio to your system. It has an optical digital output, so your receiver's digital-to-analog converter (DAC) can process the signal for better sound than you'll get from most portable devices. But if you have an older receiver — it doesn't matter which brand — that lacks optical input, the DS-A5 also has standard RCA stereo outputs so you can make an analog connection to your system.
There's also a composite video output for connecting to your TV, so you can display video and photos from your docked player. The DS-A5 connects to the proprietary RI ("Remote Interactive") port found on most current Onkyo receiver models, allowing you to control your player using the receiver's remote. The dock also comes with its own remote for use with other brands of audio/video gear.
30-pin dock connector
The DS-A5 has a 30-pin dock connector, so you can use it with most docking iPods, iPads, and iPhones. For 2012 and newer models that use a Lightning connector – such as the iPhone 5®, iPad mini®, iPad 4, 7th generation iPod nano® and 4th generation iPod touch – you'll need a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter (available separately).
What's in the Box:
- AirPlay/Apple 30-pin dock
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 57" DC cord)
- 2-Prong AC adapter plug
- Remote control (RC-848E)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 46" Audio/video cable (terminated by composite video/stereo RCA jacks on each end)
- 46" RI cable (terminated by a male 3.5mm connector on each end)
- Instruction Manual
- iPod nano (5th gen) Note
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
- for docking iPods, iPhones and iPads with 30-pin connector
- Lightning connector Apple portables ( iPhone 5, 7th generation iPod nano, 4th generation iPod touch, iPad 4, and iPad mini) require adapter (available separately)
- Wi-Fi compatible
- Ethernet port for making a wired connection to a home network
- RCA stereo analog output
- optical digital audio output
- composite video output
- automatically charges player while docked
- allows iPod control with select Onkyo receiver remotes
- remote control
- AC power adapter
- 4-3/4"W x 5-3/8"H x 2-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The Onkyo DS-A5 Apple 30-pin dock with AirPlay allows playback of your iPod, iPhone, or iPad through your existing home entertainment system. The DS-A5 connects to your home audio system via analog or digital output. It also features AirPlay for wireless audio streaming of your Apple iOS device over your home's WiFi network. In addition, a composite video output enables movie and photo playback from your compatible Apple device on your connected TV. It even offers Onkyo's RI connection to centralize control of your system into one main remote, when connected to an RI-compatible Onkyo AV receiver.
AirPlay Wireless Technology: The DS-A5 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi (802.11b/g), so that you can enjoy music wirelessly from your Apple iOS device and iTunes library by using AirPlay technology. AirPlay lets you connect your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad with no wires, cable, or clutter. As well as streaming audio from your portable iOS device over your home network, you can also play tracks from their PC or Mac-based iTunes library.
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10.2.2 music collection with full navigation & playback control from your computer (Mac/PC). You can even access your iTunes account from your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad running iOS 4.3.3 or later, via Apple's free Remote app.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the DS-A5. So there's no need to dock your Apple device to the unit's 30-pin connector, unless you want to charge it. The DS-A5 supports the iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), and iPod touch (3rd/4th/5th gen) running iOS 4.3.3 or later.
Note: The DS-A5 and your Apple iOS device or Windows/Mac computer must be connected to the same home network.
Apple 30-pin Dock: The Onkyo DS-A5 features an Apple 30-pin connector to dock your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The DS-A5 supports audio/video playback, remote control, and charging of your compatible Apple device. You can playback music and video files stored on your Apple device, or music and video apps downloaded on your Apple iOS device. The Onkyo DS-A5 will also charge your iPod/iPhone/iPad's battery through is 30-pin dock connector. You will continue to view song/artist information and album art from your Apple device's LCD screen.
Note: If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad (4th gen), or iPad mini; the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter or cable is required (both sold separately).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Onkyo DS-A5 is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, & iPad model features (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|AirPlay||30-Pin Dock||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone/iPad||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
- *If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPad (4th gen), or iPad mini; the Apple Lightning to 30-pin adapter or cable is required (both sold separately).
- Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Analog + Digital Outputs: The DS-A5 is equipped with both Analog (RCA) and digital (optical) outputs to connect the dock to your AV receiver. High quality sound is assured when using the digital audio output, which transports the signal directly to your receiver's digital-to-analog converters (bypassing the iPod DAC).
Composite Video Output: The DS-A5 is fitted with a composite video output to connect to your TV. By docking a compatible iPod/iPhone/iPad model to the DS-A5; you can view stored videos and photos, as well as video and photo apps on your compatible Apple Device on your television. Many Apple devices do not support video output, so please check the Compatibility Chart above.
Remote Control: The Onkyo DS-A5 comes with an IR remote for wireless control over the dock and your connected Apple device. The remote allows you to control basic playback functions, as well as advanced menu navigation of your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Available controls include - Power, Menu, Enter/Select, Up/Down Arrow Keys, Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Next/Previous Track, Random/Repeat, and Volume Up/Down.
RI (Remote Interactive) Connection: The DS-A5 can also be connected through your Onkyo AV receiver's proprietary RI (Remote Interactive) interface. This gives you access to a variety of useful functions, such as System On/Off, Auto Power On, and Auto Selector (Direct Change). To simplify things even further, the RI terminal also allows you to use your main Onkyo system remote to control the DS-A5 dock. Your Onkyo receiver's remote will control basic playback functions of your docked Apple device (such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Previous/Next Track).
- System On/Off: When you turn your Onkyo AV receiver on or off, the DS-A5dock and your iPod/iPhone/iPad will turn on or off accordingly.
- Auto Power On: If you press Play on the remote control while your Onkyo AV receiver is in Standby, your receiver will automatically turn on and select your Apple device as the input source and the iPod/iPhone/iPad will begin playback.
- Direct Change: If you start iPod/iPhone/iPad playback using the remote control while listening to another input source, your Onkyo receiver will automatically select the Apple device as the input source.
Note: To use these functions, your iPod/iPhone/iPad must be docked in the DS-A5, and the DS-A5 dock must be connected to your amp with both an RI cable and an audio cable. An RI (3.5mm) cable is supplied.
Auto Standby: The DS-A5 goes into standby mode automatically, if there is not audio signal or operation for longer than approximately 20 minutes.
AC Power Adapter: The Onkyo DS-A5 operates off of standard household AC current using the supplied AC power adapter.
- Input: 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz, 0.5A
- Output: 5V - 3A
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
I don't know [ CHRISTOPHER Dec 30, 2013 ]