Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Stereo power amplifier
Item # 580M5000R | MFR # M-5000R
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo M-5000R by Crutchfield's Woody Sherman
More than meets the eye
If you've been looking at other power amps here you've probably noticed that our descriptions are pretty spare most of the time. That's because not much moves or needs controlling on a power amp. But I'm going to break with tradition a bit for the Onkyo M-5000R. It's got so many good things going for it that they deserve to be called out. Bear with me.
First of all, and probably least important to the performance, it's got a lovely set of power meters on the front panel that add to the unit's overall attractiveness, and foreshadows the fine build quality you'll discover as we dig a little deeper.
Power enough for nuance and thunder
An amplifier's power rating can only tell you so much. What's even more important is how well it controls the power it purports to deliver. The M-5000R doesn't disappoint. Two massive toroidal transformers feed four 27,000 microfarad storage capacitors to create a reservoir of clean, instantly available power for your demanding stereo sources. Sudden violin bowing attacks, slamming kick drums, fat synth bass lines, a stabbing horn riff — all are faithfully re-created with all their intended impact.
Errors will not be tolerated
The M-5000R is carefully crafted to minimize any errors that might detract from your musical enjoyment. Onkyo's acclaimed AWRAT technology (Advanced Wide Range Amplifier Technology) incorporates innovations like dynamic distortion reduction, closed ground-loop circuit design, and symmetrical twin-monaural construction to keep your music free from the most common sources of signal degradation.
Kick it up a notch
Need even more pristine power? Consider getting two M-5000Rs and running them each in mono mode. With a pro-grade XLR feed from your preamp to the Bridge-Tied Load (BTL) input on each amp, you'll be sending 180 extra-clean watts on both channels. That extra dynamic range will let your music's passion and energy shine through every time.
What's in the Box:
- Stereo power amplifeir
- 6' AC power cord
- 6' Mono-minijack cable
- Instruction Manual (En)
- Instruction Manual (Fr/Sp)
- Product Registration/Warranty Information
- AWRAT (Advanced Wide Range Amplifier Technology) stereo power amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20 kHz at 0.05% THD)
- 150 watts per channel into 4 ohms (20-20 kHz at 0.05% THD)
- XLR mono "Bridge" input enables unit to be run in mono at 180 watts x 1 into 8 ohms
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz/0dB, -1 dB (1W)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- RCA inputs for each channel; mono XLR input
- quad push-pull amplification design with 3-stage inverted Darlington circuitry to reduce distortion
- two massive toroidal power transformers and four 27,000-microfarad capacitors for stable, instantly available high current
- closed ground-loop circuits keep individual circuit noise and ground potential interference to a minimum
- totally symmetrical alignment of power devices for left and right channels reduces chance for stereophonic playback errors
- 12V DC trigger input/output
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 7-7/16"H x 17-1/16"D
- weight: 51.8 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Onkyo M-5000R Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||2|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||80|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||150|
|Bridged Power per Channel||220 watts|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||3|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding Post|
Stereo Power Amplifier: The Onkyo M-5000R Stereo Power Amplifier is rated at 80 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20-20k, with 0.05%, driving 2 channels) or 150 watts (into 4-ohms, at 20-20k, with 0.05%, driving 2 channels).
Quad Push-Pull Amplification Design (w/ 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry): The Onkyo M-5000R power amplifier employs an efficient quad push-pull amplification design. Quad push-pull amplification uses two extra transistors on each channel to separately amplify the positive & negative halves of the waveform. Meanwhile, 3-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry helps reduce distortion at the output stage. Together with the push-pull amplifier design, the 3-stage inverted Darlington Circuitry shapes a clean, consistent signal to send to the outputs for ultra-low distortion & greater sound quality.
AWRAT (Advanced Wide Range Amp Technology): Onkyo's advanced AWRAT design for power amplification comprises the following technologies to ensure optimal audio performance..
- DIDRC (Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry): Since the advent of digital audio, signal-to-noise ratios have improved dramatically. However, the S/N ratio reflects static noise only, and takes no account of another type of noise that occurs as the byproduct of sound reproduction; dynamic noise. To reduce this type of noise, Onkyo has developed DIDRC technology. Despite being beyond the normal range of human hearing, frequencies above 100 kHz are susceptible to clock pulse and other forms of distortion from digital devices. Such distortion in the super-high-frequency range can generate "beat interference", which in turn affects the character of the original sound. By improving linearity and reducing distortion in the super-high frequency range, Onkyo's new DIDRC technology effectively reduces perceptible noise and delivers clearer, truer audio.
- Low NFB (Negative-Feedback Design): Too much NFB makes a system susceptible to counter-electromotive force from the speakers, resulting in a drop in perceived sound quality. To avoid this, Onkyo focuses on improving the frequency response and reducing distortion, without relying so much on NFB.
- Closed Ground-Loop Circuits: AWRAT amplifiers employ a sophisticated closed-circuit design in which each circuit has a separate link to the power supply. This helps to cancel individual circuit noise and keep the ground potential free of distortion.
- HICC (High Instantaneous-Current Capability): HICC enables an AWRAT amplifier to immediately cancel the speakers' reflex energy and instantaneously send out the next signal. The same high current required to achieve this also supports the amplifier's ability to handle speaker impedance fluctuations.
- Symmetrical Twin-Monaural Construction: Power devices for the left and right channels of an AWRAT amplifier is aligned symmetrically. Each channel has the same electrical and structural design, and signal pathways are uniform in length. This helps to minimize errors in stereophonic playback.
New Circuit Board Construction w/ Internal Struts to Reduce Vibration: Rather than being directly connected to the chassis base, the circuit boards inside the M-5000R are cushioned by internal struts and affixed to the front, side, and rear panels. This method of construction prevents vibrations from the chassis from adversely affecting the circuit boards
Separate Panel Construction: The M-5000R features separate aluminum panels for the top, sides, and front to reduce unwanted vibrations caused by internal resonance. Compared to a one-piece chassis design, this construction method offers greater rigidity and improved noise reduction.
Two Massive Toroidal Transformers w/ Sub Transformer: The M-5000R incorporates two massive toroidal transformers that reduce magnetic flux leakage, improve efficiency, and keep the power supply stable. Also on-board are a sub-transformer and four 27,000 microfarad capacitors that work to make the current significantly smoother.
Power Meter: The front-panel power meters show the output power level of each of the amplifier's two channels. The large power meters have been designed so that the indicator needles move up to the peak level quickly and then return more slowly. This make it easier to read transient power levels which last for only a fraction of a second.
Balanced XLR Input for Monural Amplification (in BTL mode): The M-5000R offers the audiophile possibilities of BTL (Bridge-Tied Load) through its pro-grade XLR input. You can use the BTL feature in conjunction with a compatible pre-amp and a second M-5000R power amp to double the power output for left and right channels.
Stereo RCA Inputs: The Onkyo M-5000R is fitted with a set of gold-plated, machined brass stereo RCA inputs to connect to an external preamplifier (such as the Onkyo P-3000R, sold separately). You cannot connect the amp's stereo RCA inputs and balanced XLR input as the same time (this may damage the amplifier).
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Onkyo M-5000R power amplifier features four gold-plated binding-post speaker terminals to connect a pair of loudspeakers. The binding-post speaker terminals will accept bar wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). The power amplifier supports speakers from 4-ohm to 16-ohm.
12V Trigger Input/Output: The 12V trigger input/output jacks (3.5mm) enable the amplifier to turn-on and go into standby mode based on the standby status of the connected component, also featuring a 12V trigger jack.
Auto Standby: The power amplifier will automatically enter Standby mode if the amp receives not signal for approximately 3 hours.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
We only show one damping factor listed in our specs and it is 130 (1kHz, 8 ohm) [ Jeff Dec 17, 2013 ] Staff