Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
9-channel power amplifier
Item # 580PAM5500 | MFR # PA-MC5500
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo PA-MC5500 by Crutchfield's Jim Richardson
What can you do with nine channels of high-current audio power?
First of all, you can put together a mind-blowing surround sound system with five speakers up front and four in the rear.
If you only need five channels for surround sound, you can use two of the other four to biamp your front left and right speakers. If you have speakers that can handle biamplification, and you haven't tried it yet, you're in for a treat.
Finally, you could devote some of the channels to your multi-room audio system.
THX® Ultra2 certification
THX Ultra2 certification is your guarantee that the PA-MC5500 will accurately present movie soundtracks the way they were mixed by the filmmaker. You can count on high-fidelity, high-impact performance for the latest multi-channel formats, even in very large rooms. Pair this amp with the matching PR-SC5508 A/V preamp/processor, and you graduate from home theater to genuine, no-adjective-needed Theater ... period.
The guts of the PA-MC5500 (which include custom-built capacitors, large transistors, gold-plated terminals, and a massive toroidal transformer) will impress even the most demanding audiophile. Onkyo's WRAT amplifier design ensures high instantaneous current capability, which is exactly what high-end speakers need to sound their best.
What's in the Box:
- 9-Channel power amplifier
- 68" AC power cord
- 68" DC Trigger cable (mono 3.5mm mini-jack on both ends)
- Instruction manual
- Auto Power Down note
- Product registration/Warranty information
- Sheet of adhesive labels
- 9-channel THX Ultra2 certified power amplifier
- 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD, with 2 channels driven
- 4 ohm capable for use with a wide range of speakers
- frequency response: 5-100,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- RCA and XLR inputs for each channel
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
- push-pull design with 3-stage inverted Darlington circuitry to reduce distortion
- massive toroidal transformer for high current and low noise
- DC trigger input/output
- IR flasher input
- massive toroidal power transformer for high current and low noise
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- detachable power cord
- 17-1/8"W x 7-1/4"H x 17-1/2"D
- weight: 50.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Number of Channels||9|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||150|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||---|
|Bridged Power per Channel||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||9|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding posts|
WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): This technology uses low-negative-feedback circuit topology for accurate signal reproduction, improved dynamic signal-to-noise ratio, and better delivery of power peaks.
12V Turn-On Trigger: When the 12V Trigger input jack on the back of this unit is connected to the 12V Trigger output jack of a compatible preamplifier, this unit will automatically turn on and off along with the preamplifier.
Auto Power Down: When engaged, the Auto Power Down feature turns the amp off if it receives no input signal for approximately three hours. Once the amp automatically turns off, you must manually turn it back on; it won't automatically turn on when it receives a signal again. Note: If the amp is turned on and off using the 12V turn-on trigger, the Auto Power Down function will not work.
THX Ultra2: The PA-MC5500 meets the strict THX standards of Lucasfilm, Ltd. governing performance, features, sound quality, power, stability into low-impedance speaker loads, and ease of operation. THX Ultra2 Certified products can deliver this cinematic experience to larger home theaters; up to 3,000 cubic feet.
Power Indicator: When the power is on, a blue LED lights in the center of the front panel; when in standby a red LED lights beside the standby switch.
- Power: master power switch; when off, the amp can't be turned on using the standby switch or 12V trigger
- Standby: toggle between power on and standby
- Input Select: each of the nine inputs has a switch to designate RCA or XLR input
- Auto Power Down: turn the Auto Power Down feature on/off
- Speaker Impedance: choose 6Ω if all the connected speakers are 6Ω or greater; choose 4Ω if any connected speaker is less than 6Ω (4Ω is the minimum recommended impedance)
- Speakers: the nine pair of speaker binding posts will accept single banana plugs, pin connectors, and bare wire; they are not 5-way posts because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs
- Signal Inputs: each channel has a single RCA and single XLR input; which is active is governed by that channel's input select switch
- 12 Volt Trigger Input: 3.5mm mini-jack; turn the amp on/off along with another component
- AC Input: 2-pole IEC power input for use with included cord (or optional upgraded cord)
- Continuous Power: 150 watts RMS into an 8Ω load, measured with two channels driven simultaneously from 20 Hz - 20 kHz with no more than 0.05% THD
- Dynamic Power:
- 8Ω: 180 watts per channel
- 4Ω: 300 watts per channel
- 3Ω: 400 watts per channel
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.05% (at rated power)
- Signal/Noise: 110 dB (unbalanced, IHF-A)
- Damping factor: 60 (Front, 1 kHz, 8Ω)
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz-100 kHz (+1 dB, -3 dB)
- Input Sensitivity/Impedance:
- RCA (unbalanced): 1 volt, 47 kΩ
- XLR (balanced): 2 volts, 22 kΩ
- Power Requirement: AC 120V, 60Hz
- Power Consumption: 11.7 A (1,404 watts)
- Weight: 50.7 lbs (23 kg)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.