Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5.2-channel home theater receiver, Internet-ready
TX-NR525 Home Theater Receiver
Item # 580TXN525 | MFR # TX-NR525
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo TX-NR525 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Modern features, classic Onkyo power
Home theater receivers perform lots of functions, but none more important than providing your speakers with plenty of clean power. Onkyo has never lost sight of this. That's why the foundation of their TX-NR525 home theater receiver is a large power supply. So whether you're listening to music in stereo or movies in surround sound, this receiver will provide plenty of juice so your speakers can deliver the goods. Connect up to five speakers plus two subwoofers and discover what immersive surround sound can do for movie and TV soundtracks. With six HDMI inputs, there's more than enough room for all your digital sources, from Blu-ray players to gaming consoles and streaming media boxes. Plus, the front-panel USB port is perfect for an iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®, which you can control with the receiver's remote.
Endless options for digital music
If you want to really expand this receiver's features, then be sure to connect it to your home network. That opens up a broad selection of digital music. Stream tunes from services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM®. Or discover cool radio stations from around the world with TuneIn Internet radio. Plus you can send music from your DLNA-compatible PC to the 'NR525 for easy wireless playback over your Wi-Fi network. Onkyo's music optimizer helps make all your digital music sound its best.
Custom speaker calibration and smartphone control
Onkyo's free remote app for Apple and Android smartphones offers easy control of network music sources (subscription required for some services).
Setting up your home theater is a snap with Audyssey's MultEQ speaker calibration system. Just plug the supplied microphone into the front-panel jack on the receiver, and follow the on-screen instructions. Audyssey's automated setup system will properly calibrate your speakers to sound great in your room, for optimized surround sound. It takes measurements for up to 6 seating positions, so everyone can experience well-balanced sound. Once you're set up, controlling your receiver is easier than ever, thanks to Onkyo's free remote app for Apple® and Android™. App control requires a wireless home network and a connection between your receiver and the network.
Good solid strong performer. Easy to use and operate.
What's in the Box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RC-865M)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Audyssey microphone (with attached 19.5' cable terminated by a 3.5mm connector)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Instruction Manual on CD-ROM
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Product registration card/Warranty information
- RIHD-compatibility note
- Safety Information
- Disclaimer note
- Important Notice Regarding Software
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 80 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.7% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey MultEQ® auto speaker calibration (microphone included)
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume® mode to maintain steady listening levels
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller surround sound at lower volumes
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- direct digital connection of iPod®/iPhone® through front-panel USB input allows music control via receiver's remote
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, SiriusXM, Slacker, TuneIn, and Aupeo! (subscription required for some services)
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- plays DSD files (2.8 MHz .dsf files) from network and USB storage devices
- DLNA certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- add Bluetooth integration with an optional Onkyo adapter
- add Wi-Fi® with an optional Onkyo UWF-1 Wi-Fi® adapter
- dual-room/dual-source output
- line-level stereo audio output for 2nd zone
- using line-level Zone 2 output requires the use of separate amplifier or powered speakers
- only analog, network or USB audio sources can output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- high-current amplifier design with massive power transformer
- 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out
- component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 5 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- rear-panel USB port for add-on Wi-Fi or Bluetooth adapters
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- free Onkyo remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- 4K and 3D video pass-through
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies to preserve clarity with vocals and movie dialogue
- 40 AM/FM presets
- programmable remote
- 17-1/8"W x 6-13/16"H x 13-7/16"D
- weight: 18.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Onkyo TX-NR525 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Five Channel Amplifier: The Onkyo TX-NR525 AV receiver features a 5-channel amplifier rated at 80 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.7%, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's amplifier employs WRAT, H.C.P.S, and Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry for dynamic, detailed, clear sound.
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): WRAT is based around a low negative-feedback circuit topology that works to reduce signal noise and distortion across the frequency range. A "closed ground-loop circuit" design is employed, in which each circuit has a separate link to the power supply. This helps to cancel individual circuit noise and keep the ground potential free of distortion. High Instantaneous Current Capability (HICC) enables WRAT amplifiers to immediately cancel the speakers' reflex energy and instantaneously send out the next signal. The same high current better manages speaker impedance fluctuations, which can negatively affect performance.
- H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply): Under the anti-resonant cover of any Onkyo receiver, you'll instantly notice the High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer. With its huge, isolated power supply design and high-capacity filter capacitors, it delivers the large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
192kHz/24-bit DACs + 32-Bit DSP Processing: This Onkyo TX-NR525 is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown DACs to decode and playback high-resolution recordings with less jitter and clearer sound. The receiver also employs a powerful and highly accurate 32-bit processing DSP (Digital Signal Processor) for better surround sound reproduction.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Onkyo TX-NR525 AV receiver supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6,
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Onkyo Original DSP Modes: Onkyo's Original DSP Modes, combined with Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. You can choose from the following:
- Orchestra: For classical or operatic music.
- Unplugged: For acoustic instruments, vocals, and jazz.
- Studio-Mix: Suitable for rock or pop.
- TV Logic: Adds realistic acoustics to TV shows.
- Game: The receiver offers four different Gaming modes - RPG, Action, Rock, and Sports.
- All Ch Stereo: Stereo sound from all speakers. Ideal for background music.
- Full Mono: All speakers output the same sound in mono.
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): Theater-Dimensional circuitry takes the complexity out of conventional surround-sound setups and lets you experience the excitement of surround sound from as few as two ordinary speakers. Theater-Dimensional's unique multi-speaker modes let you place up to five speakers conveniently by the TV, for the most realistic virtual-surround sound possible.
Direct Mode: In Direct mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration.
Audyssey Technology: The TXN-R525 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics.
- Audyssey MultEQ Automatic Speaker Setup: With the supplied speaker setup microphone, Audyssey MultEQ determines the number of speakers connected, their optimum crossover frequencies, and their distances from the primary listening position, then adjusts each automatically. The room's acoustical properties are then measured and corrected over the listening area in both the frequency and time domain. There is a threaded insert on the bottom of the microphone so it can be mounted on a tripod for accurate listening position placement. Up to 6 listening position measurements are taken to optimize the surround effect for a broad area. If you prefer you can also setup your speaker system manually.
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ: Audyssey Dynamic EQ solves the problem of deteriorating sound quality as volume is decreased by taking into account human perception and room acoustics. Dynamic EQ selects the best possible frequency response and surround levels moment-by-moment as volume is changed. The result is bass response, tonal balance and surround impression that remain constant despite changes in volume. Audyssey Dynamic EQ combines information from incoming source levels with actual output sound levels in the room, a prerequisite for delivering a loudness correction solution. Audyssey Dynamic EQ works in tandem with Audyssey 2EQ to provide well-balanced sound for every listener at any volume level.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume looks at the preferred volume setting by t he user and then monitors how the volume of program material is being perceived by listeners in real time to decide whether an adjustment is needed. Whenever necessary, Dynamic Volume makes the necessary rapid or gradual adjustments to maintain the desired playback volume level while optimizing the dynamic range. Audyssey Dynamic EQ is integrated in Dynamic Volume so that as the playback volume is adjusted automatically, the perceived bass response, tonal balance, surround impression, and dialog clarity remain the same whether watching movies, flipping between television channels, or changing from stereo to surround sound content.
Surround Parameters: The Onkyo TX-NR525 lets you tweak and fine tune specific surround sound modes to suit your preference.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust; Panorama: (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Screen Centered Dialogue: By using the front high speakers, this function moves the center image of the dialogue upwards, so that the image of dialogue is fixed to the display height.
- Listening Angle: While listening in the Theater Dimensional mode you can adjust the listening angle to either Wide (if listening angle is 40°) or Narrow (if listening angle is 20°).
Audio Enhancements: The Onkyo TX-NR525 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CinemaFilter: Using the CinemaFilter you soften overly bright movie soundtracks. Movie soundtracks are typically mixed for a large theater (relative to your home theater) with lots of soft seats and thick curtains on the walls. Home theater settings often lack these high frequency absorbing wall treatments, making the soundtrack sound too bright. CinemaFilter accounts for this and for many movies sounds more natural at home.
- Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz and analog input signals.
- Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High. This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
- Phase Matching Bass: Onkyo's Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies while preserving mid-range clarity. This means that powerful bass plays back with clear vocals; it doesn't overpower them.
- Bass & Treble: You can independently adjust the Bass (50Hz) and Treble (20kHz) of the TX-NR525 from -10 to +10 dB.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Onkyo AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The Onkyo receiver is equipped with one optical digital input and two coaxial digital inputs. All three digital inputs are assignable. You can choose auto decoding , PCM, or DTS for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel, while DTS decodes only DTS formatted sources.
- Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: There are color-coded binding-post terminals for the following speaker connections; Front, Center, and Surround. The binding post terminals will accept bare-wire, pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual).
- Dual Subwoofer Outputs: The receiver is fitted with two subwoofer outputs to connect dual powered subs for extra bass. Use 6- to 16-ohm speakers.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. When you connect an iPod or iPhone to the USB port on this receiver, no sound will be output from the headphone jack.
HDMI (v1.4): The TX-NR525 has six assignable HDMI v1.4 inputs and one HDMI v1.4 output for connecting Blu-ray/DVD players, Satellite/Cable boxes, Game Consoles, and other video components to your TV. The HDMI jacks can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K video signals to a HDTV. The HDMI jacks will also support uncompressed standard or high definition digital video along with the following audio signals; 2-channel linear PCM, Multichannel linear PCM (up to 7.1ch), and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS, etc.). In addition, the HDMI jacks are 3D, ARC, HDMI-CEC, Deep/x.v.Color, and Auto Lip-Sync compatible.
- 4K Pass Through: 4K Pass Through allows the Onkyo TX-NR525 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D-Ready: The TX-NR525 's HDMI v.1.4 connections will accept 3D video from your 3D-ready Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready flat-panel television.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The Onkyo receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. The receiver's main HDMI monitor output supports the ARC function, while the sub HDMI monitor output does not.
- Auto Lip-Sync: The Lip-Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip-Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the AV receiver.
HDMI Through: When enabling the HDMI Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is "on" or in "standby" both audio and video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver HDMI monitor output. You can select between 3 HDMI Through functions modes.
- Auto: Detects the signal and automatically selects the input sources.
- Source: Selects the input source (BD/DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, Game, PC, Aux, TV/CD, Port) for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "standby" mode.
InstaPrevue: InstaPrevue technology provides a live video thumbnail of the available content on your devices connected to the receiver via HDMI. As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to 5 HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV. Even with multiple components connected to receiver through HDMI, you can easily switch between inputs as their previews are displayed on a single screen on your television. You can even use the InstaPrevue feature for Picture-in-Picture. You can specify the number of preview thumbnails, as well as their positioning on-screen.
Note: If no video signal are present, the thumbnails will be filled in black. With 3D video signals, the image may not be properly rendered on the preview thumbnails of InstaPrevue.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features five composite video inputs (4 rear/1 front) and one composite video monitor output. There are two component video inputs and one component video output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite and/or component video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite/component inputs. There is no analog video conversion.
Front-Panel AV Input: The Onkyo TX-NR525 is equipped with a front-panel audio/video input which consists of a composite video terminal and stereo audio RCA jacks.
Picture Adjust: Using the Picture Adjust feature, you can adjust the picture quality and reduce any noise appearing on your TV screen.
- Wide Mode: Auto, Full, Zoom, Wide Zoom, or 4:3.
- Picture Mode: Custom (Brightness/Contrast/Hue/Saturation/Color Temp), Cinema (for movies), Game (for gaming), Through (changes resolution), Direct (no adjustment).
- Picture Settings: Film Mode (video or film), Edge Enhancement (sharpens image), Noise Reduction (reduce noise).
A/V Sync Control: Occasionally, you may need to manually adjust the audio/video signals that are not properly synchronized manually. Typically when using a progressive scanning DVD player. You can correct this by delaying the audio; options are 0 (no delay) to 400 milliseconds, in 10 millisecond steps.
Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-NR525 A/V receiver is network-ready, which means you can connect it to your home network with a standard Ethernet cable and enjoy the music files stored on your computer or media server. If your network is connected to the Internet (broadband), you can also enjoy Internet radio. Connecting the A/V receiver's Ethernet (RJ-45) port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
Media Server Playback: You can play back music files stored on your computer or media server (the TX-NR525 is DLNA certified). Compatible music file formats include MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (47-320k bps), WMA Lossless (16/24-bit), WAV (8/16/24-bit), AAC (8-320 kbps), FLAC (16/24-bit), Ogg Vorbis (48-500 kbps), and LPCM (8/16/24-bit). Each folder on the server may contain up to 20,000 music files, and folders may be nested up to 16 levels deep.The following media servers are compatible:
- Windows Media Player 11 or 12
- Windows Media Connect 2.0
- DLNA (ver.1.5)-Compatible Media Server
Note: If the operating system of your personal computer is Windows 7, Windows Media Player 12 is already installed. If the operating system of your computer is Windows Vista, Windows Media Player 11 is already installed.
Internet Radio: The Onkyo TX-NR525 lets you access various Internet Radio providers through its Ethernet network connection. The TX-NR525 will display station name and program-related information, such as - artist name, song title, and elapsed playing time. You can preset up to 40 of your "favorite" Internet radio stations for easy recall.
|vTuner||vTuner offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites.|
|Pandora||Pandora is a free, personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.|
|Rhapsody||Rhapsody is a streaming music subscription service (starting a $10 per month) that allows you to play the full-length songs you choose on demand from a collection of over 10 million songs, without ads and without having to purchase or download the music.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, and more.|
|Slacker||Slacker is a free, personalized Internet radio service that lets you choose the music you want to listen to. You can choose Internet radio stations by genre, or create custom station by Artist name or Song title.|
|AUPEO!||AUPEO! Personal Radio is a music streaming service based in Berlin that is available worldwide. With AUPEO! Personal Radio, you can listen to free music on the web. AUPEO! lets you play lots of music and choose the playlist based on your personal taste. The basic concept is based on personal music DNA, which allows you to 'love' or 'ban' songs. The highly advanced software then remembers this and adjusts as necessary. As a result, we offer over 100 compilation genre channels, as well as thousands of artist channels. Listen to music online based on your tastes and preferences or use our one-of-a-kind 'Mood Tuner' to fit how you're feeling.|
Note: To receive Internet radio, your Ethernet network must have Internet access. Internet URLs in the following formats are supported: PLS, M3U, and podcast (RSS). However, depending on the type of data or audio format used by the Internet radio station, you may not be able to listen to some stations.
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. The tested TX-NR525 contained firmware version 1030-3103-0100. Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
Dual USB Ports: A USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) memory device can be connected to the receiver's front-panel or rear-panel USB (type-A) terminal, allowing you to play music files through the receiver. Your USB MSC device must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. Compatible music file formats include MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (47-320k bps), WMA Lossless (16/24-bit), WAV (8/16/24-bit), AAC (8-320 kbps), FLAC (16/24-bit), Ogg Vorbis (48-500 kbps), and LPCM (8/16/24-bit). Up to 20,000 folders can be displayed, and folders may be nested up to 16 levels deep. You can control basic playback functions of your connected USB device's music from the included remote control, such as - Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip (next/previous), and Repeat/Random. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port; even in standby mode (the front-panel USB port is rated at 5V/1A, while the rear-panel USB port is rated at 5V/0.5A).
Note: USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported.
iPod/iPhone Direct: Using a USB-to iPod-Dock cable plugged into the front-panel USB port, music can be played directly from an iPod/iPhone, bypassing the iPod/iPhone's DAC. To view the video content from your iPod/iPhone, connect it to the receiver's front-panel USB port and composite video input using the official Apple Composite AV Cable (sold separately). Your connected iPod/iPhone is controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to control your iPod/iPhone from its clickwheel or touchscreen. Song/artist information and elapsed time are displayed on the receiver's front-panel display and your connected TV screen (via HDMI only). You can navigate your iPod/iPhone's music using the on-screen menu and remote control by Playlist, Artist, Album Genre, Song, or Composer. Video stored on your iPod/iPhone can be searched by Movie, Music Video, TV Show, Video Podcast, Rented Movie, or Video iTunesU. You can also shuffle the playback of your iPod/iPhone's music and view the Now Playing screen. Your iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver. Using the dock cable to connect directly, iPod/iPhone compatibility is as follows (9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Display (via HDMI): The Onkyo AV receiver offers an on-screen setup menu through its HDMI output. The on-screen display offers multiple language text, such as - English, French, Spanish, German, and Italian. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Zone 2 Line Out: By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the TX-NR525, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 5.1ch surround in the main room and 2ch stereo of a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp.
- Compatible Zone Sources: Only Tuner, analog, USB, and Network audio sources can be sent to Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or listen to USB and Network content in separate Zones at the same time. To playback Bluetooth audio in Zone 2, you must also have Bluetooth selected as your source in the main zone.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2. You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the Network and USB input selectors.
Display Dimmer + Screen Saver: The display brightness has three settings; Dim, Dimmer, and Normal. If there is no video signal on the current input source and no operation for a specific time, a screen saver automatically comes on. You can set the time (3min/5min/10min/off) until the screen saver activates itself. Once active, the screen saver will go off and the screen will return to its previous state if the AV receiver is operated in any way.
Auto & Hybrid Standby: The AV receiver will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 30 minutes with no audio/video signal input. The Onkyo TX-NR525 features "Hybrid Standby" mode to save energy and provide greater levels of convenience. Hybrid Standby Mode provides "HDMI through" functionality and maintains a local network connection while the receiver is essentially powered down. This allows the user to watch TV without turning the whole surround system on. Furthermore, when on Hybrid Standby, the home theater may be powered up from "cold" using the Remote Apps for iPod touch/iPhone and Android.
Sleep Timer: From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10 minute increments.
Optional Bluetooth Adapter (sold separately): The Onkyo UBT-1 Bluetooth USB Adapter (580UBT1, sold separately) lets you wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, portable audio player, tablet, laptop, or PC to the Onkyo A/V receiver. The Onkyo UBT-1 is fitted with a male USB (type-A) connector which plugs into the Onkyo receiver's USB (type-A) port. The Onkyo UBT-1 is Bluetooth version 3.0 certified and lets you wirelessly stream music from many Bluetooth-enabled devices supporting A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile). The Onkyo UBT-1 is equipped with apt-X, an audio coding technology that works within Bluetooth to wirelessly deliver CD-quality audio from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the Onkyo A/V receiver.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo UBT-1.
Multi-brand Remote: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). In addition to the receiver, the remote can be programmed to control popular brands of TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD players/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
HDMI Control: This function allows CEC-compatible components (Toshiba REGZA-LINK TV/Sharp TV) or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the TX-NR525 . The AV receiver offers the following CEC HDMI controls.
- The AV receiver will enter Standby mode when the power of the TV is turned to Standby.
- You can set on the menu screen of the TV to either output the audio from the speakers connected to the AV receiver, or from the speakers of the TV.
- It is possible to output the audio/video from the antenna or from the input jack of the TV from the speakers connected to the AV receiver.
- Input to the AV receiver can be selected with the remote controller of the TV.
- Operations such as volume adjustment or similar for the AV receiver can be performed from the remote controller of the TV.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Onkyo Remote App (for Apple iOS & Android): The Onkyo Remote App (from iTunes Apps & Google Play) allows you to operate the Onkyo AV receiver from your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (2.1+) device, using your home's wireless network. The Onkyo Remote App lets you you access Internet Radio stations, AM/FM stations, DLNA content, and Input sources right from your mobile device. Content information will be displayed on the device's touchscreen. You also get to adjust tone controls, listening modes, and speaker volume from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. The Onkyo Remote App even allows you to wirelessly stream audio stored on your Apple iOS or Android device to the Onkyo AV receiver and lets you control audio output for up to 2 Zones. The Onkyo AV receiver and and your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
7 questions already asked
For the price. Its wonderful [ DENNIS A Feb 07, 2014 ]
I bought mine a few months ago and really like it. My only knock on it is the display is kind of plain. I have a set of Polk audio tl 1600 blackstone speakers hooked to it and it sounds awesome. Pretty good receiver for the money. [ BRYAN D Feb 02, 2014 ]
I got it on sale, it is a bargain at that rate. If your sound is fine now and there are no issues, I can't say I would make the move. But if you have any issues, you won't be disappointed. [ JEFF Feb 02, 2014 ]
They seem similar. [ John Feb 01, 2014 ]
Thanks for your question. For recommendations I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences between models and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Jeff Jan 27, 2014 ] Staff
4 answers Does this unit have a powered zone 2 output. Your specs say no but Onkyo advertisements state yes. In any case if zone 1 and 2 are on the same input source will the output be in phase with no time delay? I will want to run zones 1 & 2 to drive speakers in adjacent rooms open to my main listening area. My current Onkyo txsr674 cannot be used in this manner. running zones 1 & 2 with the same source creates sever echos. If this unit is not acceptable can you recommend one? [ Robert Jan 02, 2014 ]
Thanks to you all for your feed back. I will look for a simple A/B speaker receiver. I always use the same source for zone 1 and 2 so a simpler receiver should work just fine. The Onkyo is not what I need. Robert [ Robert Jan 06, 2014 ]
The zone 2 is not powered. I ordered a Pyle PCA4 amp elsewhere on the net, it was low cost, OK sound, not audiophile. RCA cables from Onkyo to amp, the amp can run 2 sets of 8 ohm speakers. No noticeable delay or echo here. NOTE that only some of the input sources will feed zone 2. Rather odd, but most sources do work and you can do some "work arounds" to achieve your goals. If on a budget, this system is a great choice. Otherwise, spend a lot to get a unit that does everything you want without the add ons. [ GARY M Jan 06, 2014 ]
TX-NR525 was designed as a 5-channel home theater receiver/amplifier. I believe you can attach two sets of speakers using the main (front) speakers as your Zone 1 and the one of the side (surround) speakers as your Zone 2. There shouldn't be any sound delay since as a home theater system, the sound should come out simultaneously. I have tried to attach two sets of speakers in this manner with both sets located in the same room. The sound from both sets of speakers were in sync...no time delay. I also have ONKYO TX-8555 which has zones 1 and 2 which probably would serve the purpose for which you want to use your receiver. I found it very excellent for my two sets of speakers and no echoes created. I'm not sure if this model is still available. Crutchfield can probably help you with a close alternative. [ DANA Jan 05, 2014 ]
I have the system set up with zone 2 and it is working fine. I am using a Denon to drive the second zone and the Onkyo does not need to be on for this to work. There is a zone 2 output on the Onkyo that is the standard RCA plug and that goes into the the Denon Amplifier in my case. The question that I am not 100% sure of is that in Stereo there is no difference in sound from room to room ie. no echo's. If I am using my Dish Satellite HD and 5.1 sound there is. The Denon Amp is stereo only and does not support Theater, so that may be the issue. Hope this helps [ CHRIS Jan 03, 2014 ]
I listen to my Onkyo 525 through an klipsch rb-25 home theater system.it sounds better then 04 pioneer 814 [ Steven Jan 03, 2014 ]
The Onkyo 525 is all you need for music to movies. it will sound great with that speaker system [ Steven Dec 28, 2013 ]
It does not appear that there is an app currently for Windows phones. The Onkyo Remote App allows you to operate the Onkyo AV receiver from your Apple iOS (4.2+) or Android (2.1+) device, using your home's wireless network. [ Jeff Dec 04, 2013 ] Staff
This receiver is designed for use with a powered subwoofer, and it would work great with the Klipsch HD Theater 600 package. [ Jeff Dec 03, 2013 ] Staff
Hi Lloyd. Your turntable does have a phono preamp built in, so you will be able to connect it directly to to any of the analog inputs on this receiver. The separate phono preamp is only required for turntables that do not have a built in preamp. [ Jeff Nov 20, 2013 ] Staff