Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Item # 580TXN535 | MFR # TX-NR535
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Onkyo TX-NR535 by Crutchfield's David Brown
More than meets the eye
Receivers used to be judged by how many connections they had on the back panel. Now, some of the most useful connections to your receiver can't even be seen. Versatile wireless connectivity is at the heart of the Onkyo TX-N535. With Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in, there are lots of ways to enjoy music from all kinds of sources — including the kind you actually plug into the back. Video doesn't get left out either; this receiver offers 4K/60Hz video resolution over its advanced HDMI 2.0 connections. If you plan on heading down the path to Ultra HD, this receiver is an excellent forward-looking choice.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth offer lots of music choices
Music is increasingly delivered from sources other than shiny discs. Smartphones, tablets, computers, Internet radio, and subscription services offer a wealth of listening options. You can take advantage of all of them with the TX-N535. Stream music from smartphones and tablets over Bluetooth, to play audio from any app through your home theater speakers. If you have a digital music library stored on a networked PC or storage drive, Wi-Fi lets you play those tunes over your home network. There's also built-in support for Spotify®, Pandora® Internet radio, SiriusXM, and free Internet radio streams via TuneIn radio. With so many choices, you'll never have trouble finding something to listen to. Plus, Onkyo's Music Optimizer helps restore compressed files and Bluetooth streams to full-sounding music with plenty of depth.
Listen to music from smartphones and networked computers using Onkyo's free remote app for Apple and Android.
Emphasis on sound
The 'NR535 is about more than just convenience and versatility. Onkyo has always put a premium on sound quality. This receiver features their Wide Range Amplifier Technology, which provides plenty of current to ensure smooth sound even during large swings in dynamics. This reduces distortion while ensuring music and movie soundtracks have plenty of punch. Phase-Matching Bass Enhancement keeps low-frequency tones from muddying the midrange, so you get plenty of deep bass while vocals and dialogue remain clear and detailed. And if you've downloaded high-resolution music from sites like HDtracks, you'll appreciate this receiver's ability to decode high-res files like FLAC, WAV, Apple Lossless, and even DSD.
Simple setup and control
The tiny microphone that's included with the TX-NR535 is your key to properly calibrated home theater sound. Plug it into the front of the receiver, and let Onkyo's AccuEQ optimize your system for your room and speaker setup. This ensures you'll get the best possible sound in your room, even if its odd layout forces you to place speakers in less than ideal locations. Before you start exploring this receiver's features, be sure to download the Onkyo remote app to your Apple® or Android™ smartphone. It offers easy control over the receiver's most important functions, as well as giving you instant access to Internet radio and other online music choices.
Great place to buy from, always great prices, fast service and delivery. The receiver is great, easy to install. It has so much technology built in I don't think I will have to buy anything in the future.
What's in the Box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RC-879M)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Setup microphone
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (with push-on "F" connector)
- Basic Manual
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Product registration card/Warranty information
- RIHD-compatibility note
- Important Safety Instructions
- Disclaimer note
- Important Notice Regarding Software
- Sheet of adhesive labels
- Onkyo headphones brochure
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 65 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at .7% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- AccuEQ automatic speaker calibration optimizes your system's sound for your room (microphone included)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Slacker®, TuneIn, and Aupeo! (subscription required for some services)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- DLNA-certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- plays DSD files (2.8 MHz .dsf files) from network and USB storage devices
- dual-room/dual-source output
- line-level stereo audio output for 2nd zone
- line-level Zone 2 output requires a separate amplifier or powered speakers
- only analog, network, Bluetooth, or USB audio sources can be output to Zone 2
Audio Performance Features:
- high-current amplifier design with large power transformer
- 24-bit/192kHz Burr-Brown digital-to-analog converter
- Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out
- component video switching: 1 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 2 coaxial
- 7 analog stereo audio inputs (includes 1 pair of front-panel inputs)
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB storage devices
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- free Onkyo remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- InstaPrevue offers live picture-in-picture preview of connected HDMI sources
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible TV's tuner via HDMI
- Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies to preserve clarity with vocals and movie dialogue
- 40 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-13/16"H x 13-9/16"D
- weight: 22 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Onkyo TX-NR535 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Five Channel Amplifier: The Onkyo TX-NR535 AV receiver features a 5-channel amplifier rated at 65 watts (into 8-ohms, at 20Hz-20kHz, with 0.7%, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's amplifier employs WRAT, H.C.P.S, and Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry for dynamic, detailed, clear sound.
- WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology): WRAT is based around a low negative-feedback circuit topology that works to reduce signal noise and distortion across the frequency range. A "closed ground-loop circuit" design is employed, in which each circuit has a separate link to the power supply. This helps to cancel individual circuit noise and keep the ground potential free of distortion. High Instantaneous Current Capability (HICC) enables WRAT amplifiers to immediately cancel the speakers' reflex energy and instantaneously send out the next signal. The same high current better manages speaker impedance fluctuations, which can negatively affect performance.
- H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply): Under the anti-resonant cover of any Onkyo receiver, you'll instantly notice the High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer. With its huge, isolated power supply design and high-capacity filter capacitors, it delivers the large amounts of power necessary for reproducing the wide dynamics of movie soundtracks and the detail and clarity of your music.
- Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry: Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry adjusts the gain so that less than half the amount of attenuation is needed, ensuring the signal never comes close to the noise floor. This protects the signal against noise, resulting in a dramatically clearer sound.
192kHz/24-bit DACs + 32-Bit DSP Processing: This Onkyo TX-NR535 is equipped with 192kHz/24-bit Burr-Brown DACs to decode and playback high-resolution recordings with less jitter and clearer sound. The receiver also employs a powerful and highly accurate 32-bit processing DSP (Digital Signal Processor) for better surround sound reproduction.
AccuEQ Room Calibration: The AccuEQ Room Calibration function,
Onkyo's proprietary technology, collects the test tones coming from each
speaker with the supplied speaker setup microphone and performs automatic setting of the number of speakers, volume level, each speaker's optimum crossover frequencies, and distance from the primary listening position. Distortion caused by difference of room acoustic environment will also be corrected to produce clear, well-balanced sound.
Multi-Channel Decoding Formats: The Onkyo TX-NR535 AV receiver supports the following multi-channel (Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic) decoding formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6,
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Onkyo Original DSP Modes: Onkyo's Original DSP Modes, combined with Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic processing, produce more realistic, powerful sound effects for your movie and music sound tracks based on the type of content and your home theater setup. You can choose from the following:
- Orchestra: For classical or operatic music.
- Unplugged: For acoustic instruments, vocals, and jazz.
- Studio-Mix: Suitable for rock or pop.
- TV Logic: Adds realistic acoustics to TV shows.
- Game: The receiver offers four different Gaming modes - RPG, Action, Rock, and Sports.
- All Ch Stereo: Stereo sound from all speakers. Ideal for background music.
- Full Mono: All speakers output the same sound in mono.
- Theater-Dimensional (T-D): Theater-Dimensional circuitry takes the complexity out of conventional surround-sound setups and lets you experience the excitement of surround sound from as few as two ordinary speakers. Theater-Dimensional's unique multi-speaker modes let you place up to five speakers conveniently by the TV, for the most realistic virtual-surround sound possible.
Direct Mode: In Direct mode, audio from the input source is output without surround-sound processing. This mode delivers pure sound with minimum sound quality adjustment and filtration.
Surround Parameters: The Onkyo TX-NR535 lets you tweak and fine tune specific surround sound modes to suit your preference.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements you can adjust; Panorama: (broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect), Dimension (allows you to move the sound field forward or backward), and Center Width (allows you to adjust the width of the center channel).
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 5 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Listening Angle: While listening in the Theater Dimensional mode you can adjust the listening angle to either Wide (if listening angle is 40°) or Narrow (if listening angle is 20°).
Audio Enhancements: The Onkyo TX-NR535 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- CinemaFilter: Using the CinemaFilter you soften overly bright movie soundtracks. Movie soundtracks are typically mixed for a large theater (relative to your home theater) with lots of soft seats and thick curtains on the walls. Home theater settings often lack these high frequency absorbing wall treatments, making the soundtrack sound too bright. CinemaFilter accounts for this and for many movies sounds more natural at home.
- Music Optimizer: The Music Optimizer function enhances the sound quality of compressed music files. The Music Optimizer function only works with PCM digital audio input signals with a sampling rate below 48kHz, Bluetooth, and analog input signals.
- Late Night Feature: The Late Night feature limits the dynamic range of Dolby Digital recordings. Limiting the dynamic range makes it easier to find a volume that ensures the quiet sounds are not too quiet and the loud sounds are not too loud for night time listening. This allows you to comfortably listen to without the need to constantly adjust the volume to keep from waking family/neighbors. The choices are: Off, Low, and High. This feature only works with Dolby Digital Encoded software and the depth of the feature will vary based on the individual software package.
- Phase Matching Bass: Onkyo's Phase-Matching Bass optimizes low frequencies while preserving mid-range clarity. This means that powerful bass plays back with clear vocals; it doesn't overpower them.
- Bass & Treble: You can independently adjust the Bass (50Hz) and Treble (20kHz) of the TX-NR535 from -10 to +10 dB.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Onkyo AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The Onkyo receiver is equipped with one optical digital input and two coaxial digital inputs. All three digital inputs are assignable. You can choose auto decoding , PCM, or DTS for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel, while DTS decodes only DTS formatted sources.
- Binding-Post Speaker Terminals: There are color-coded binding-post terminals for the following speaker connections; Front, Center, and Surround. The binding post terminals will accept bare-wire, pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). Use 6- to 16-ohm speakers.
- Dual Subwoofer Outputs: The receiver is fitted with two subwoofer outputs to connect dual powered subs for extra bass. The dual outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI (v2.0): The TX-NR535 has six assignable HDMI v2.0 inputs and one HDMI v2.0 output for connecting Blu-ray/DVD players, Satellite/Cable boxes, Game Consoles, and other video components to your TV. The HDMI jacks can accept and switch 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 4K (60Hz) video signals to a HDTV. The HDMI jacks will also support uncompressed standard or high definition digital video along with the following audio signals; 2-channel linear PCM, Multichannel linear PCM (up to 7.1ch), and Bitstream (Dolby Digital/DTS, etc.). In addition, the HDMI jacks are 3D, ARC, HDMI-CEC, and Auto Lip-Sync compatible.
- 4K Pass Through: 4K Pass Through allows the Onkyo TX-NR535 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video in 4K/60Hz and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor.
- 3D-Ready: The TX-NR535 's HDMI v.1.4 connections will accept 3D video from your 3D-ready Blu-ray player and output the video signal in 3D to your 3D-ready flat-panel television.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television. The receiver's main HDMI monitor output supports the ARC function, while the sub HDMI monitor output does not.
- Auto Lip-Sync: The Lip-Sync function can automatically synchronize HDMI audio and video that has gotten out of sync due to the complex digital video processing being performed by your HDMI-compatible TV. With HDMI Lip-Sync, the audio delay required to synchronize the audio and video is calculated and applied automatically by the AV receiver. You can also manually correct the audio delay from 0 (no delay) to 400 milliseconds; in 10 millisecond steps.
Note: The AV receiver's HDMI 2.0 jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so it will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
HDMI Through: When enabling the HDMI Through function, regardless of whether the AV receiver is "on" or in "standby" both audio and video streams from an HDMI input will be output to your television, via the receiver HDMI monitor output. You can select between 3 HDMI Through functions modes.
- Auto: Detects the signal and automatically selects the input sources.
- Source: Selects the input source (BD/DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, Game, PC, Aux, TV/CD, Port) for which the HDMI Through function in enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "standby" mode.
InstaPrevue: InstaPrevue technology provides a live video thumbnail of the available content on your devices connected to the receiver via HDMI. As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to five HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV. Even with multiple components connected to receiver through HDMI, you can easily switch between inputs as their previews are displayed on a single screen on your television. You can even use the InstaPrevue feature for Picture-in-Picture. You can specify the number of preview thumbnails, as well as their positioning on-screen.
Note: If no video signal are present, the thumbnails will be filled in black. With 3D video signals, the image may not be properly rendered on the preview thumbnails of InstaPrevue.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front) and one composite video monitor output. There is one component video input and one component video output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite and/or component video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite/component inputs. There is no analog video conversion.
Front-Panel AV Input: The Onkyo TX-NR535 is equipped with a front-panel audio/video input which consists of a composite video terminal and stereo audio RCA jacks.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Onkyo TX-NR535 AV receiver supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the AV receiver's network connection, you can enjoy music files stored on your computer and listen to internet radio through a variety of online services.
- Ethernet (LAN) Jack: The Onkyo AV receiver is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for connecting the player to your home network and computer. Connecting the A/V receiver's Ethernet port to a 100Base-TX switched Ethernet network is recommended for best results. Use a shielded CAT-5 Ethernet cable to connect the receiver to your home network.
- Built-in Wireless LAN: The AV receiver also features built-in WiFi that allows you to wirelessly connect to your home network, so you can enjoy the benefits of a cable-free network environment. A wireless connection requires a home network with a WiFi-enabled access point (IEEE 802.11 b/g/n). Supports WPS, WEP, and WPA security.
Streaming Music Files: You can stream a variety music files from your Windows PC, DLNA-certified music server, or a USB mass storage class device. Compatible music file formats include MP3 (8-320kbps; 16-48kHz), WMA (47-320kbps), WMA Lossless (16/24-bit; 44.1-96kHz), WAV (8/16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), AAC (8-320kbps; 8-96kHz), FLAC (8/16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), Apple Lossless (16/24-bit; 8-96kHz), Ogg Vorbis (48-500kbps; 8-48kHz), DSD (2.8224MHz), and LPCM (16-bit; 44-48kHz). You can control basic playback functions of your music library from the included remote control and receiver's on-screen menu; such as Folder/File Select, Play/Pause, Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random.
- DLNA Certified: Because the TX-NR535 is DLNA certified, you can play back music files stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server through the AV receiver. Playback control can be done from the receiver's remote control or your DLNA-certified computer/server.
- USB Mass Storage Class: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable MP3 player, or USB thumbdrive (all formatted in FAT 16/32). USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode. USB hubs and USB devices with hub functions are not supported. MP3 players containing music files that are managed with special music software are not supported. Apple iPod, iPhone, and iPad devices are not supported via USB.
Note: Total of 20,000 music files/folders is supported.
Internet Radio: The Onkyo TX-NR535 lets you access various Internet Radio providers through its wired or wireless network connection. The TX-NR535 will display station name and program-related information; such as artist name, song/album title, and elapsed playing time. You can preset up to 40 of your "favorite" Internet radio stations for easy recall.
|TuneIn||With more than 70,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is a service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.|
|Pandora||Pandora is a free, personalized Internet radio service that plays the music you know and helps you discover music you'll love. You can select Internet radio stations by Artist, Song, or Genre.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, and more.|
|Slacker||Slacker is a free, personalized Internet radio service that lets you choose the music you want to listen to. You can choose Internet radio stations by genre, or create custom station by Artist name or Song title.|
|AUPEO!||AUPEO! Personal Radio is a music streaming service based in Berlin that is available worldwide. With AUPEO! Personal Radio, you can listen to free music on the web. AUPEO! lets you play lots of music and choose the playlist based on your personal taste. The basic concept is based on personal music DNA, which allows you to 'love' or 'ban' songs. The highly advanced software then remembers this and adjusts as necessary. As a result, we offer over 100 compilation genre channels, as well as thousands of artist channels. Listen to music online based on your tastes and preferences or use our one-of-a-kind 'Mood Tuner' to fit how you're feeling.|
Note: To receive Internet radio, your Ethernet network must have Internet access. Internet URLs in the following formats are supported: PLS, M3U, and podcast (RSS). However, depending on the type of data or audio format used by the Internet radio station, you may not be able to listen to some stations.
AM/FM Tuner: With the built-in tuner you can enjoy AM and FM radio stations. You can store your favorite stations as presets for quick selection. You can store a combination of up to 40 of your favorite FM/AM radio stations as presets. You can also tune directly to a specific station by using the numeric keypad on the included remote control.
Firmware Updates: Future firmware updates are available from the Onkyo website through the receiver's Network or USB connection. The tested TX-NR535 contained firmware version 1020-2110-0000 (as of 4/15/2014). Visit Onkyo's online Download Center for the latest firmware updates.
On-Screen Display (via HDMI): The Onkyo AV receiver offers an on-screen setup menu through its HDMI output. If your TV is connected to the composite video or component video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Zone 2 Line Out: By using the Zone 2 line-level outputs on the TX-NR535, you can connect an external receiver or integrated amplifier in a second room, allowing you to listen to 5.1ch surround in the main room and 2ch stereo of a different audio source in another room of your home. The volume of Zone 2 is controlled by your optional integrated amp.
- Compatible Zone Sources: Only Tuner, analog, USB, and Network audio sources can be sent to Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or listen to USB and Network content in separate Zones at the same time. To playback Bluetooth audio in Zone 2, you must also have Bluetooth selected as your source in the main zone.
- Incompatible Zone Sources: Optical/coaxial digital and HDMI audio sources are not output to Zone 2. You cannot output any video signal to Zone 2.
Name Edit: You can enter a custom name for each individual input selector and radio preset for easy identification. When entered, the custom name will appear on the display. This function cannot be used for the AM/FM, Network, USB, and Bluetooth input selectors.
Display Dimmer + Sleep Timer: The display brightness has three settings; Dim, Dimmer, and Normal. From the remote, you can set the unit to automatically turn off after as much as 90 minutes or as little as 10 minutes; choices are presented in 10 minute increments.
Auto & Hybrid Standby: The AV receiver will automatically go into Standby mode, if there is no operation for 20 minutes with no audio/video signal input. The Onkyo TX-NR535 features "Hybrid Standby" mode to save energy and provide greater levels of convenience. Hybrid Standby Mode provides "HDMI through" functionality and maintains a local network connection while the receiver is essentially powered down. This allows the user to watch TV without turning the whole surround system on. Furthermore, when on Hybrid Standby, the home theater may be powered up from "cold" using the Remote Apps for iPod touch/iPhone and Android.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Onkyo TX-NR535 features built-in Bluetooth (version 2.1+EDR) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the Onkyo receiver. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Onkyo receiver.
Onkyo Remote App (for Apple iOS & Android): The Onkyo Remote App (from iTunes Apps & Google Play) allows you to operate the Onkyo AV receiver from your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (2.1+) device, using your home's wireless network. The Onkyo Remote App lets you you access Internet Radio stations, AM/FM stations, DLNA content, and Input sources right from your mobile device. Content information will be displayed on the device's touchscreen. You also get to adjust tone controls, listening modes, and speaker volume from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. The Onkyo Remote App even allows you to wirelessly stream audio stored on your Apple iOS or Android device to the Onkyo AV receiver and lets you control audio output for up to 2 Zones. The Onkyo AV receiver and and your compatible Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same home network.
Multi-brand Remote: The receiver comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of this receiver and other HDMI-connected sources (via HDMI CEC). In addition to the receiver, the remote can be programmed to control popular brands of TVs, Blu-ray players, DVD players/recorders, DVRs, VCRs, etc.
HDMI Control: This function allows CEC-compatible components (Toshiba REGZA-LINK TV/Sharp TV) or RIHD-compatible components connected via HDMI to be controlled with the TX-NR535 . The AV receiver offers the following CEC HDMI controls.
- The AV receiver will enter Standby mode when the power of the TV is turned to Standby.
- You can set on the menu screen of the TV to either output the audio from the speakers connected to the AV receiver, or from the speakers of the TV.
- It is possible to output the audio/video from the antenna or from the input jack of the TV from the speakers connected to the AV receiver.
- Input to the AV receiver can be selected with the remote controller of the TV.
- Operations such as volume adjustment or similar for the AV receiver can be performed from the remote controller of the TV.
RI Remote Control Jack: The 1/8" RI remote control jack allows you to connect this receiver to other compatible Onkyo components.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
8 questions already asked
This is an amplifier and you cannot attach a flash drive to it. . All this does is to amplify sound and send it to your speakers. I have had a 5 speaker surround system for over 30 years and when my old Sony died, I spent several months researching one that was within my price range and worked with my audio/visual system. It is a great amp and you can hook up your tv, dvd player, phono, if u still have one, and cd player to it, but it dies not have a USB port. You cannot hook up an Ipad or smart phone to it. It is for a home entertainment system. I hope this answers your question. I love this amp and am very happy with the purchase. [ JANE C Apr 19, 2015 ]
I wish could help. But can't get cable box to synic either. [ KEVIN Jan 19, 2015 ]
I would call the support line. They helped me out on my isses. [ RICHARD Jan 18, 2015 ]
yes, but if not turned off at night completely[all componets. it will come back on after a delay. my wife shuts off the tv but not the amp amd sat box. and in +/- 30 minutes the sound from the tv will turn on at original volume. I must go down to the lvg room and shut it off. It is much simplier to turn the device on manually. [ ERIC WAYNE Jan 18, 2015 ]
This receiver is not "programmable" in that respect. You cannot program the receiver to switch your satellite box on and off. If you are wanting to program the receiver's remote to turn your satellite box on and off, there are instructions in the owner's manual that take you step-by-step through programming the remote. [ CALVIN T. Jan 18, 2015 ]
Yes, this receiver does support ARC. Just make sure the TV is set to use ARC for the sound and not the TV speakers. Of course make sure the receiver is set up for ARC. [ ROBERT Dec 29, 2014 ]
Yes, the owner's manual says the unit includes an Audio Return Channel function that receives digital audio signals from a compatible TV's tuner via HDMI. [ GEROLD Dec 29, 2014 ]
I would not advise the purchase of this Onkyo receiver. It is unduly complex to operate and requires constant resetting. [ Robert Dec 29, 2014 ]
This receiver only acts as a Bluetooth receiver... meaning, you can play BT devices, such as a phone, though the receiver"s speakers. It does NOT transmit Bluetooth to another device. [ TODD Sep 09, 2014 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Once you connect the separate amp to the zone 2 pre-amp out the remote control will control the output on zone 2 separately. So it is a variable "line out". If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Aug 06, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: It will charge an iPhone, but it will not play audio from iPod/iPhones or other MP3 players or smartphones. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jul 17, 2014 ] Staff
I believe the answer to your question is "no". Many receivers have an extra pair of "front" speaker jacks that can be used to drive an auxiliary pair of speakers that are separate (and perhaps far away) from the main speakers. This amp does NOT include that feature. It only has one set of "front" or "main" speaker outputs. [ TODD Jul 14, 2014 ]
The receiver has a 'Zone 2' feature that will apparently send output to an additional set of speakers. I haven't used that feature yet, but the owner's manual and the Crutchfield website indicate that the Zone 2 output requires a separate amplifier or powered speakers. Hope that helps. [ GEROLD Jul 14, 2014 ]
I think you can add a second set of speakers to this but i'ts been awhile since I saw the back of it and set up the 5 speaker sound around system. I have so many wires back there because I have a bunch of stuff on my entertainment center and this amp made it so much easier connecting everything up. If you check the overview below you'll see that it has multi room audio, so I don't see why you couldn't hookup out speakers for outside if you have the right kind of speakers and wire. But I would check with Crutchfield people and they may be more helpful. It's a great buy and I love it. Hope this helps. Jane [ JANE C Jul 13, 2014 ]
Only if you buy a separate amplifier for the patio. Better choice is 7.1 receiver with a powered zone 2 [ Robert Jul 12, 2014 ]
Yes, I have this device hooked onto 4 outdoor patio speakers. They do great with it!! [ DYNAMIC CUSTOMS Jul 12, 2014 ]
no I don't think it makes any sense reason being you have more control over a powered sub and there is already two outputs available for sub woofer on the receiver [ IRAD M May 25, 2014 ]
No. There are 2 RCA outputs for subwoofers but they are both for ACTIVE (powered) devices. [ TODD May 19, 2014 ]
No it only has line level outputs for a self powered sub. [ REGINALD May 17, 2014 ]