Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
TiVo® Premiere 4
Internet-ready DVR records digital cable TV programs
Item # 592PREM4 | MFR # TCD750500
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the TiVo® Premiere 4by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
TiVo: It's much more than a DVR
There are lots of smart boxes out there that can stream video to your TV, but for recording shows you can't beat a DVR. Too bad the typical DVRs supplied by cable companies have such clunky user interfaces. Here's a better option. The TiVo® Premiere 4 gives you a super-easy way to record all your favorite cable TV shows to watch on your schedule. TiVo's easy, intuitive operation means everyone in the family can operate it. Really. That DVR from your cable company is a relic by comparison. In fact, the Internet-ready Premiere Elite is much more than just a DVR — it's an all-in-one entertainment source.
Never tried TiVo? This box will change your life!
The TiVo Premiere can record up to 75 hours of crystal-clear high-def programs, and it provides those great DVR conveniences like pause and forward/reverse skip with just a touch of the remote. This is a quad-tuner DVR — you can actually record up to four channels at the same time, while simultaneously watching a previously recorded show or an online video source.
What makes TiVo's DVRs special is their polished, intuitive on-screen menus, and their personalized approach to recording. For example, the Season Pass™ feature records every new episode of a show without cluttering your queue with reruns. Having TiVo is like having an easy-to-access channel packed with just the stuff you like. These unique capabilities are made possible by TiVo's subscription service, which is required to keep the DVR's programming info updated (Note: this subscription costs $14.99/month).
Instant Internet streaming gives you lots more viewing options
The TiVo Premiere's Ethernet port is your doorway to great Internet content. Just run a network cable to your home network, and you can watch movies from your Netflix® Instant Queue, or download titles from Amazon Video On Demand™. Online music is on tap, too, with Pandora® Internet radio. Want to connect wirelessly? Just add one of TiVo's wireless network adapters. Note: This DVR cannot record satellite TV signals or over-the-air TV broadcasts.
- high-definition DVR replaces your cable box (requires cable TV subscription and a multi-stream CableCARD from your local service provider, plus subscription to TiVo service)
- quad-tuner design lets you record up to four different TV channels at the same time even while simultaneously watching online video
- records up to 75 hours of HD content or up to 650 hours of SD content
- also supports Verizon FiOS® broadband service
- Internet-ready plays Netflix video and more (broadband service required; subscription required for Netflix service)
- selectable video output: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- versatile playback modes, including pause, fast-forward/fast reverse, and forward/reverse skip
- timer recording with 14-day on-screen program guide
- schedule recordings online or with your mobile phone
- 1 set of audio/video outputs (HDMI, component video, and composite)
- RF input for cable TV signals
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network
- two USB ports (for use with TiVo's network adapter, updates, and future upgrades)
- eSATA input for connecting to an external hard drive to expand recording capacity
- optical digital audio output
- stereo RCA audio output for connecting a sound bar or home stereo system
- multibrand remote control
- ENERGY STAR®-certified
- 16-9/16"W x 2-7/16"H x 11-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- requires subscription to TiVo service ($14.99/mo.)
What's in the Box:
- DVR (with built-in 500GB HDD)
- 6' AC power cord
- 6' Composite AV cable
- 6.5' HDMI cable
- 7' Ethernet cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Viewer's Guide
- Start Here instructions
- Installing Your CableCARD note
- Legal Terms booklet
Overview: The TiVo Premiere 4 is a digital cable, movie, web, music, and DVR solution for your television. The TiVo Premiere 4 acts as your digital cable box, via an inserted CableCARD (available from your digital Cable provider). It also lets you access TV shows, movies, and music from select internet websites, such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, Blockbuster, Rhapsody, and Pandora. In addition, you can pause and record live TV from digital cable broadcasts. A wireless IR remote control is included for simple operation.
Note: A CableCARD decoder from your digital cable company is required to receive digital cable programming. The TiVo Premiere 4 is designed for use only with digital cable systems (such as QAM or Verizon FiOS). TiVo Premiere 4 does not receive analog programming, including over-the-air programming, and it will not work with an over-the-air antenna. A TiVo service plan is also required, without it the unit is not functional.
Service Plans: The TiVo Premiere 4 is designed to be used exclusively with the TiVo Service. The TiVo Service is required for proper operation of the TiVo Premiere 4 unit. The TiVo Premiere 4 uses the program information provided by the TiVo Service to record programming, power the program guide, and search for content. TiVo service provides you with an affordable and comprehensive entertainment option. The TiVo service is available for 14.99 per month (with 1-year commitment).
Note: Broadband Internet connection required for video downloads. Additional third-party fees may apply. Cost does not include any CableCARD decoder fees which may be charged by your cable company (usually around $2/month).
HD Interface: The TiVo Premiere 4's new HD interface and discovery tools makes browsing, exploring, and discovering what you want to watch easier and more intuitive than ever. A new multi-column format delivers more information per screen, while the new Browse feature, intelligent Discovery Bar, Video Window, and convenient Collections area make the TiVo Premiere 4 even simpler to use and find your favorite shows. The TiVo Premiere 4 lets you sort through hundreds of channels on digital cable and thousands of broadband options from sources like Netflix, Hulu Plus, YouTube, Amazon Video on Demand, and others. Results are sorted and displayed by most popular matches first, so you're likely to find a match in seconds after entering just one letter. Even better, you'll see all the ways you can get your movie or TV show, including the corresponding price from each source.
- Browse Feature: You can browse categories and collections of TV
shows, movies, and web videos to find just what you are looking for. You can
browse categories and collections of TV shows and movies that are available
either on channels you receive (via digital cable) or from video on demand
(via Internet). You can browse for shows, movies, and programming in any of the
- Top Picks: Browse the most popular mix of TV shows, movies, video providers, or collections. The TiVo service keeps Top Picks updated, so you'll always find something new.
- My Favorites: Mark any video provider (like Netflix or Hulu Plus), category (like sports or cooking), or collection (like award-winning movies or holiday shows) as your favorite by selecting it and pressing THUMBS UP. Then browse your favorites when you're looking for something you know you'll like.
- Collections: Browse collections of shows, like award-nominated shows, holiday specials, or sports movies.
- Movies: Browse movies by subject matter, including new releases, animated films, or foreign films.
- TV: Browse upcoming popular TV shows grouped into categories like "Top 20 TiVo Season Passes," crime drama, or comedy.
- Sports: Browse upcoming sporting events by event type.
- Available from...: Choose a video provider, or a featured channel or network, and browse its available shows.
- Categories: Browse shows by subject matter, such as "kids," "travel," or "cooking
- Swivel Search: When you use Swivel Search, your search results show both digital cable broadcast shows and shows that are available through your broadband Internet connection.
- Discovery Bar: When you use the TiVo Premiere 4's HD menus, the Discovery Bar appears at the top of the screen (in thumbnail form), putting a variety of recommendations at your fingertips. The Discovery Bar features recommendations of movies and TV shows that are similar to ones you already enjoy, as well as titles that are currently popular in the TiVo community. The Discovery Bar is a great way to find new shows based on what the TiVo Premiere knows you already like, but it doesn't contain only shows. You'll also find actors, collections of related shows, web video providers, and more.
- Video Window: The Video Window is located in the upper right corner of the TiVo Premiere 4's menu screens. The Video Window continues playing the program you were watching while navigating the unit's menu.
Program Guide: The Program Guide displays up to two weeks of TV programming at the touch of a button on the included remote control. You can have the Program Guide display all your providers channels, only channels you actually receive by your provider, or favorite channels. You can choose to display the Program Guide as a grid or us the TiVo Live Guide.
- Grid Guide: The grid guide displays your channels in the left column, and each channel's programming to the right in half-hour increments.
- TiVo Live Guide: The TiVo Life Guide display your channels in the left pane, and the selected channels' programming the right pane.
Filter Guide: When you are viewing the Program Guide, you can filter channels by category. The Program Guide will only display channels that have a show in the category you chose for the next six hours.
Phone Line Connection: The TiVo Premiere 4 needs to be regularly connect to the TiVo service in order to keep the TV schedule up-to-date and to update the unit's software. TiVo boxes works best when connected to a home network with a high-speed Internet connection, but if you don't have that available in your home, you can simply plug an existing phone line into the back of the TiVo box. You can use a long phone cable and a phone splitter to share a phone jack with a regular phone.
Note: It should be noted that the TiVo Premiere 4, needs a high-speed Internet connection to download and utilize network & internet functions.
MoCA: MoCA stands for Multimedia over Coax Alliance and is the universal standard for home entertainment networking. MoCA allows the TiVo Premiere 4 to connect through household cable coax wiring to other TiVo Premiere 4 boxes and get up to 175Mbps throughput for ultra-fast video. It is a viable alternative when Ethernet or wireless networking isn't available near your TiVo box or you have multiple MoCA-compatible devices.
Updates: TiVo is constantly developing new features for its family of products. Your subscription to the TiVo service includes software updates that are compatible with your TiVo box model. Releases are seamlessly and automatically downloaded during regular updates and do not require user installation.
Cable Connection: The TiVo Premiere 4 features a dedicated input for cable and connects to your cable service. The TiVo Premiere 4 is designed to replace your old cable box or DVR with a more powerful, advanced, and innovative high definition (HD) DVR system. The TiVo Premiere 4 supports digital and analog cable signals. The TiVo Premiere 4 plugs directly into your cable service and replaces your old cable box with a CableCARD you get from your cable company. In most cases, you can return your old cable box to your cable provider and stop paying the monthly rental fee. While the TiVo Premiere 4 is fully compatible with your cable service, it does not replace your cable service; you still need a cable provider to deliver your cable TV programming.
Note: TiVo does not support satellite service, such as DirecTV and Dish Network. The TiVo Premiere does support over-the-air programming via antenna.
CableCARD Decoder: To view your cable company's HD and digital channels, the TiVo Premiere 4 requires the installation and activation of a single Multi-stream CableCARD decoder (M-Card). A CableCARD decoder tells the TiVo Premiere which channels you are authorized to receive, and unscrambles your cable company's encrypted signal so you can view all the HD and digital cable channels included in your cable TV subscription package. This card replaces the need for your cable company's cable box. The CableCARD decoder is inserted into the rear panel of the TiVo Premiere 4. After it is inserted, please call your cable provider to activate and pair the card to the TiVo Premiere 4. You will need to provide the card's serial number (found on the back of the card) and host ID (which will appear on your TV). One M-CARD will let you watch and record two shows at once.
Note: You must call your cable company to order and schedule the installation of your CableCARD decoder. Some cable providers allow their customers to pick up their CableCARD at their local service center and install it on their own. For the TiVo Premiere 4, you will need a single Multi-stream CableCARD decoder (M-Card). Federal law mandates that all major cable companies provide CableCARDs to their digital cable subscribers. While some cable companies offer CableCARDs to their subscribers for free, others may charge a nominal monthly fee, usually between $2-$4 per month. Contact your provider for details.
Channel Banner: The Channel Banner displays the program's title, description, ratings, and other information. it appears whenever you change the channel. To view the channel banner while watching a show, press INFO. The Channel Banner can be displayed in three different sizes.
Closed Captions: The TiVo Premiere 4 supports analog and digital closed captions.
Parental Controls & KidZone: The TiVo Premiere 4 give you two ways to make sure your family has access to only those shows you want them to watch.
- Parental Controls: Use Parental Controls to set limits on movie and television ratings, to lock specific channels, and to prevent viewing of recorded shows that violate the settings you choose.
- KidZone: Use KidZone to setup an environment where only age-appropriate channels and recordings are available. Children cannot setup new recordings or change any settings on the TiVo Premiere 4.
High Definition (HD) & Standard Definition (SD) Video Outputs: The TiVo Premiere 4 features two high definition video outputs (HDMI/component), and one standard definition (composite) video output to connect the unit to your television.
- HDMI: The HDMI (v1.3) output simplifies A/V connections by carrying video and digital audio in one cable. This unit features HDCP copyright protection technology, and must be connected to an HDCP-compliant device. The HDMI output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, & 1080p video signals. HDMI cable included. The TiVo Premiere 4 supports HDMI compliant splitters with up to 16 HDMI ports
- Component: The component video output supports 480i, 480p, 720p, & 1080i video signals. No component video cable included.
- Composite: The composite video output supports 480i video signals only. Composite AV cable included.
Video Output Formats: TV networks and online video providers use a variety of formats, and TV equipment receive and display video in a variety of formats. The TiVo Premiere 4 receives video signal in any of these five video formats (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i). If you are using an HDMI cable to connect the TiVo Premiere 4 to your television, the TiVo Premiere will automatically set the optimal vide output format for your TV.
TV Aspect Ratio: Aspect ratio refers to the proportions of your TV screen. A standard TV screen ratio is 4:3. A Widescreen TVs are 16:9. Select the type of screen your TV has. Some TVs automatically changer their display based on the type of signal the receive: high definition (HD) or standard (SD). if your 4:3 TV has this features, you probably notice that it adds bars to the top & bottom of an HD picture. If so, select 4:3 Smart Screen. If your TV does not have this feature, you may notice that it squeezes an HD picture into the 4:3 shape. If so, select 4:3 Standard Screen.
Aspect Correction Mode: Aspect correction is applied when the aspect ratio of the show you are watching does not match the aspect ratio of your TV. You can choose from the following aspect correction options.
- Full Mode: In Full mode, the picture is stretched to fill the TV screen, which may result in some distortion. Black bars appear at the top & bottom of the screen and the picture will appear a bit squished.
- Panel Mode: In Panel mode, side bars are added to the picture to fill the screen, preserving the broadcast aspect ratio. This is useful if you are watching a show broadcast in 4:3 on a 16:9 TV, or vice-versa.
- Zoom Mode: In Zoom mode, the picture is stretched without distortion. The edges of the picture are cropped to fit the TV screen. This mode is useful if you are watching a show broadcast with letterbox bars or side bars. Zoom mode crops the letter box bars out of the picture.
Video Smoothing: If you see static on some basic digital cable channels, use this setting to smooth the video which will decrease the static and improve the picture on these channels. However, it will cause images on all analog channels to lose some sharpness.
Audio Outputs: The TiVo Premiere 4 is equipped with analog audio (RCA) and digital (optical) audio outputs to connect the unit to your television or AV receiver.
- Analog Audio: The unit's left & right stereo RCA outputs connect to your TV or stereo receiver for analog stereo sound.
- Digital Audio: The TiVo Premiere 4 features an optical digital audio output to connect to your home theater system for digital sound.
Dolby Digital/PCM: The TiVo Premiere 4's optical digital audio outputs can be set to output Dolby Digital or 2-channel PCM.
Built-in Hard Drive: The TiVo Premiere 4 is equipped with a 500GB hard drive for recording standard definition and high definition programming from digital cable broadcasts. A small bar at the bottom of the screen lets you know how much space you have available for new recordings.
Recording Capacity: The TiVo Premiere 4's built-in 500GB hard drive can record up to 75 hours of high definition (HD) programming and 650 hours of standard definition (SD) programming from digital cable broadcasts.
Note: Actual recording capacity depends on signal quality and the type of programming being recorded.
Recording Quality: The TiVo Premiere 4 always records HD and digital shows using the native video signal it receives. Each time you setup a standard-definition recording, you have the option to choose its recording quality (Best, High, Medium, Basic). This setting is available only before the TiVo Premiere 4 begins recording. One hour of Best quality equals about four hours of Basic quality, two hours of Medium quality, and 1.5 hours of High quality.
Auto Record: Up to 30 minutes of the current channel's broadcast is always being saved, even when you are not recording. The TiVo Premiere automatically saves up to 30 minutes of live TV, so you can rewind live TV for up to 30 minutes. When you change channels, the TiVo Premiere 4 clears the saved portion and starts saving again on the new channel. You need to press RECORD to record the saved portion as well as the rest of the program.
Quad Recording: The TiVo Premiere 4 can record four different live TV channels at the same time; one on each of its four tuners. The TiVo Premiere 4's quad tuners even let you record fours shows at once while watching a fifth show online.
Recording Features: You can record shows using the TiVo Premiere 4 with exclusive TiVo features such as TiVo Suggestions, Season Pass recordings, and WishList recordings.
- TiVo Suggestions: TiVo Suggestion uses a Thumps Up/Thump Down ratings systems to create a list of shows you might like. The more show you rate over time, the better TiVo Suggestion will get at finding interesting shows for you. When the TiVo Premiere has available space, it automatically records TiVo Suggestion content. TiVo Suggestions never replace shows you record, or prevent your shows from being recorded. TiVo Suggestion are always the first shows deleted to make room for your recording.
- Season Pass Recordings: A Season Pass recording automatically records every episode of a series that airs on a certain channel (even if the day or time changes). When you set up a Season Pass recording, you can choose how many episodes to keep and how long to keep them. Season Pass recordings are prioritized by the order in which you set them up - the first has highest priority, and so on.
- WishList Recordings: A WishList search finds shows that match your search criteria on any channel you receive and it keeps on searching for as long as you keep the WishList search activated. You can search for something specific by creating a WishList search with multiple criteria (for example - Actor name & movie category). You can even use WishList searches to find something very specific (for example - a specific sports team). You can set a WishList search to auto-record, and it will record every show it finds, on any channel you receive.
Note: If the TiVo Service finds any conflicts in scheduling upcoming episodes of the Season Pass or WishList recording, you will be asked to choose whether you want to keep the previously scheduled recording or record the new show instead.
Overlap Protection: Being able to record four programs at the same time doesn't eliminate all possible recording conflicts. The Overlap Protection feature gives you additional options for dealing with recording conflicts when they occur. With Overlap Protection, the TiVo Premiere 4 simply clips the lower priority recording by just enough minutes to allow both programs to record. Overlap Protection works by determining the priority of each program scheduled to record. For repeat recordings, it use the Season Pass manager to learn which programs have higher or lower priorities. Once-time recordings are not listed on the Season Pass manager; these individual recording that you schedule receive the highest priority. The most recent individual recording that you requested always has the highest priority (TiVo Suggestions always have the lowest priority).
Note: If Overlap Protection is turned off, when four shows on the same tuner overlap by a few minutes, the lower priority recording is cancelled.
Extending Live Recordings: Live events (like sporting events & awards shows) often run pas their scheduled time. When the Extend Life Recordings setting is turned on, the TiVo Premiere 4 will remind you to add extra time when you set up a recording of a live event.
Managing Recordings: The TiVo Premiere 4 offers various ways to keep track of and manage your recordings. The unit's To Do List shows all your scheduled recordings and lets you change recording options or cancel recordings. You will see a list of all shows schedule to record in the next two weeks with available recording options. You can use the unit's View Recording History to check on a particular show's recording status.
Recording Options: The unit's Recording Options let you customize each recording, so you always get the results you want. You can set recording options when you first schedule a recording, or by selecting a show from the To Do list or the Season Pass manager.
- Time & Channel: You can choose the time and channel on which to record the show when more than one option is available.
- Channel: You can choose the channel on which to record the show, when more than one channel is available (this option is only for a repeating recording like a Season Pass).
- Keep at Most: You can set the maximum number of episodes to be saved (this option is only for a repeating recording like a Season Pass).
- Record: You can choose to skip reruns and only record first-run episodes (this option is only for a repeating recording like a Season Pass).
- Keep Until: Choose how long to keep a show (or each episode of a repeating recording). "Space Needed" is the default setting, or choose "Until I Delete" and the TiVo Premiere won't delete an episode to record something new.
- Overtime Scheduler:
The following two settings are especially helpful for sports fans, but also
useful for award shows, live events, or if the network tends to broadcast
your favorite show a little off its scheduled start time.
- Start Recording: Start recording up to ten minutes before a show is scheduled to begin (this option is only available before recording starts).
- Stop Recording: Set a recording to continue for a few minutes or up to three hours after its scheduled to end. You can change this setting when you set up the recording, or while the recording is in progress.
My Shows: All the shows recorded by the TiVo Premiere 4, including video podcasts and downloaded shows, appear on the My Shows screen. You can view your recorded content either alphabetically or by date recorded. Highlight any title in the My Shows menu (even a show that's still recording) and press Play to start the show from the beginning, or to resume playing from where you left off. Once you have watched a show in its entirety, the show's title on the My Shows screen turns from white to blue.
Groups: When the Groups functions is activated, recorded shows are organized into folders. If you have recorded several episodes of the same show, they can all be collect into a group. When you have shows grouped, you can highlight the group name and play all of the shows in the group in sequence, beginning with the oldest.
Control Live/Recorded TV: Control live or recorded TV with pause, rewind (3 speeds), fast-forward (3 speeds), slow-motion, instant replay, and 30-second scan.
- Pause: You can pause live TV for up to 30 minutes. When you resume watching, you'll be "behind" the live TV broadcast. You can fast-forward to catch-up to the live TV broadcast or press the Live TV button on the remote control.
- FW/RW: This unit offers three rewind and three fast-forward speeds for recorded programming.
- Instant Replay: Instant Replay lets you jump back 8 seconds in a program. This is useful for when you miss a sports play in a game or a bit of dialogue in a movie, or simply when you fast-forward to far.
- Advance: You can instantly move forward 30 seconds while watching a recorded program.
Remote Scheduling: The TiVo Premiere 4 lets you schedule recordings remotely on a desktop computer, laptop, or mobile phone.
- Record via TiVo.com: You can schedule recordings on the TiVo Premiere installed in your home from any computer with Internet access and a standard web browser. Got to tivo.com/tco to search for shows by time, title, keyword, or actor/director. You can schedule a single episode, or set up a Season Pass recording with all the options you have on the TiVo Premiere at home. You can even set the show not to record if it conflicts with a recording already schedule on the TiVo Premiere 4.
- Record via TiVo Mobile: With TiVo Mobile, you can access TV listings and schedule shows to record on the TiVo Premiere 4, all from you web-enabled mobile phone. Simply launch your phone's web-browser and go to m.tivo.com.
E-SATA Port (external storage): You can connect an external hard drive via the unit's e-Sata port. The 1 terabyte My DVR Expander from Western Digital can be purchased on tivo.com for $199.99.
Broadband-Connected TiVo: If you have a high-speed internet connection in your home (typically from DSL or a cable modem) then you can connect the TiVo Premiere 4 to your home's broadband network and enjoy access to network TiVo features like:
- Instantly watch movies & TV shows from your Netflix unlimited account.
- Download movies and shows from TiVo online partners like Amazon Video On Demand, Hulu Plus, and Blockbuster On Demand.
- Watch unlimited web videos on YouTube.
- Stream your favorite music from your Rhapsody account or from Pandora Internet radio
- Share photos and home videos with friends and family.
Wired or WiFi Connection: Simply plug the included Ethernet cable into the back of the TiVo Premiere 4 from your network router, to access network & internet functions. You can also connect the TiVo Premier to your home's wireless network via one of the proprietary TiVo wireless adapters (sold separately). The TiVo Wireless USB Network Adapter (592AG0100)plugs into one of the unit's front-panel USB ports. The TiVo Wireless N Network Adapter (592AN0100) plugs into the unit's rear-panel Ethernet port.
Web Entertainment: The TiVo Premiere 4's wired or WiFi network connection lets you access select web entertainment content, such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, and Podcasts.
- YouTube: The TiVo Premiere 4 lets you access videos from YouTube. You can browse videos by category (featured, most recent, favorites, most viewed, & top rated). You can also pause, rewind, fast-forward, and instant replay YouTube videos.
- Free Web Videos: With TiVo web videos, you can easily access thousands of hours of video programs through the broadband-connected TiVo Premiere. Play a video instantly, or get a Season Pass and all new episodes will appear in your "Now Playing List" or in your "My Shows" folder.
- FrameChannel: FrameChannel is an incredibly cool service that turns your idle TV into a customized, graphical information feed. During those times when you're not watching TV, the TiVo Premiere 4 can quietly display a fully personalized slideshow of news, traffic, weather, sports, celebrity gossip, and financial updates on your connected TV. You can even monitor your social network feeds from services like Facebook and Twitter.
- Audio Podcasts: Listen to your favorite audio podcasts on your TV or home entertainment system instead of your powered computer speakers. You can browse TiVo's list of featured podcasts or enter a URL of your own.
Online Movies: Once you have connected the TiVo Premiere 4 to your home's high-speed broadband network with internet access, you can access online movies from select internet websites. The TiVo Premier has access to movies, TV sows, and videos from a wide variety of online video providers.
- Amazon Video On Demand:
When you link your TiVo account to your
amazon.com account, you can rent or buy over 50,000 movies and TV shows and
download them to the My Shows or Now Playing list on the broadband-connected
TiVo Premiere 4. You can even download movies and TV shows in HD (up to 1080p). With Amazon Video On Demand, movies are typically available the same day they are released on DVD. TV shows are typically available within days of the original broadcast.
- Rent: Movie rentals are usually $2.99 - $4.99 (with specials as low as 99 cents). Rentals must be viewed within 24 hours of starting playback. Rentals not started after 30 days will be deleted and must be re-rented to view.
- Buy: Buy movies for $9.99 to $14.99 (with some titles as low as $5.49). TV show episodes may be purchased for as little as $1.89 each. Purchases may be kept on your TiVo box as long as you like. If you delete a purchase, you can typically re-download it at no additional charge from your Amazon Media Library.
- Blockbuster On Demand: You can link the TiVo Premiere 4 to your Blockbuster.com account so you can browse and rent movies from Blockbuster from the comfort and convenience of home. Movies start at just $2.99 per rental.
- Hulu Plus: Hulu Plus enables Premiere 4 users to stream dozens of current hit shows; plus many classic series and acclaimed movies. Unlimited viewing is available for just $7.99 a month with limited advertising.
- Netflix Instant: With Netflix Instant on TiVo, if you have a Netflix unlimited plan, you can instantly watch thousands of movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix to the TiVo Premiere 4. You need to link your Netflix account to the TiVo Premiere 4 and add shows to your Netflix Instant Queue.
- CinemaNow: With CinemaNow on TiVo, you can rent some of your favorite Walt Disney Studio films via the broadband-connected TiVo Premiere's remote control. You will need to link your CinemaNow and TiVo accounts.
- Jaman: When you link your TiVo service account to your Jaman account, you are able to rent international and independent films and have them delivered automatically to the broadband-connected TiVo Premiere 4.
- Fandango: You can use Fandango on the TiVo Premiere 4 to see what movies are playing near you, get convenient movie information, and purchase movie tickets using the TiVo remote control.
Internet Radio: The TiVo Premiere 4 lets you access select internet radio content via its wired or WiFi network connection.
- Pandora: You can listen to free personalized radio stations on your TV with Pandora music service. Simply enter the name of a favorite song or artist into Pandora and create customized radio stations that stream similar music. You can even rate the songs you hear so Pandora can adapt to your feedback and hit your musical sweet spot.
- Rhapsody: With Rhapsody on TiVo, you can access millions of songs all from your TV using the broadband-connected TiVo Premier and the included remote. Whether you're in the mood for classical, hip-hop, or anything in between, it's all just a few clicks away. And with a Rhapsody membership, you can listen all you want, without the need to buy individual songs. Try the Rhapsody music service free for 30 days. Become a member by visiting rhapsody.com/tivo/signup (the same subscription works on computers and compatible portable players).
- Live 365: Live365 is the world's largest Internet radio network, with hundreds of stations available, which can be accessed through the broadband-connected TiVo Premiere 4. Browse by category or recommendation, and then add your favorite channels for easy access later. You'll see artist, album, and track information along with album artwork. Additional features are available to TiVo subscribers with a Live365 VIP membership. To learn more, visit live365.com/tivo.
- Music Choice: Enjoy free music videos by your favorite artists from Music Choice, the largest library of today's best music videos. Search by artist or song, or browse through popular categories and select the videos to download to your Now Playing List.
Photo Viewer: The TiVo Premiere 4 lets you access photo images from select internet photo websites such as Photobucket and Picasa.
- Photobucket: Photobucket is where over 61 million people manage and share their photos. To join, create an account with photobucket.com and upload your favorite photos. Then, let your friends and family know your user name, and they can find your public photos on their broadband connected TiVo boxes.
- Picasa: With Picasa Web Albums on TiVo, you can share your story in pictures with family and friends across the country. Picasa Web Albums is fast and easy photo sharing from Google. To share photos, create an account with picasaweb.google.com and upload your favorites. Then, let your friends and family know your user name, and they can find your public photos on their broadband-connected DVRs.
Photo/Music Streaming: When you connect the TiVo Premiere 4 to you home network, it becomes a digital home entertainment center with access to your computer's music and photo files. If you have MP3 music files or JPEG still-image files on your PC or Mac, you can stream them to the network-connected TiVo Premiere 4 for playback through your TV or home entertainment system. To stream music or photos from your PC or Mac, you will need TiVo Desktop software for PC or TiVo Desktop software for Mac.
- TiVo Desktop Software for PC: TiVo Desktop software for your PC
allows you to:
- publish your personal music library to your TiVo box for playback through your TV or home entertainment system.
- publish your personal photo library to your TiVo box for viewing photos and slideshows on your TV
- transfer shows from your TiVo box to your PC
- TiVo Desktop Software for Mac: TiVo Desktop software for your Mac
allows you to:
- access your iTunes music library and playlists to your TiVo box for playback through your TV or home entertainment system
- access your iPhoto albums to your TiVo box for viewing photos and slideshows on your TV
Note: TiVo Desktop software for PC/Mac is available as a free download from www.tivo.com.
Movie Sharing: You can make your personal home movies available to your family and friends to watch directly on their TV using their TiVo Premiere; no matter where they are. All you need to do is create an account with www.onetruemedia.com and upload your photos and video footage, edit and customize your movie, and receive your private channel code. Then share that code with family and friends, and they can have your new videos automatically downloaded to their broadband-connected TiVo Premiere 4.
Transfer Shows: Once you've recorded your favorite shows on the TiVo Premiere, you can easily transfer those shows to another TiVo Premier on your home network, to your PC or Mac, or even to a portable digital AV device.
- Transfer Between TiVos: When you have more then one TiVo Premier connected to your home network, you can transfer shows between them so you can watch a program which was recorded in one room in another room.
- Transfer to PC or Mac: You can transfer recorded shows from the TiVo Premiere 4 to your windows-based PC using TiVo Desktop software (tivo.com/desktop). You can transfer recorded shows from the TiVo Premiere 4 to your Mac computer using Roxio Toast Titanium software (tivo.com/howto/mac).
- Transfer to Portable Device: With Roxio Toast Titanium, you can transfer recorded shows from the TiVo Premiere 4 to your iPod, iPhone, PSP, or other compatible portable digital AV device via your computer.
Note: Shows that cannot be transferred due to copy protection restrictions are marked with a red circle slash.
Wireless Remote: The TiVo Premiere includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the unit.
Programmable: Some buttons on the TiVo remote are programmable. You have options to control power, volume, mute and input selection on your TV; and volume and mute on your A/V receiver (stereo system).
Free TiVo App for iPad/iPhone: The free TiVo App from iTunes turns your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad into a remote control for the TiVo Premiere 4. Once you've downloaded the free TiVo App; you can search, browse, schedule, and share from your compatible Apple device without interrupting what you're watching on TV. You can even use the TiVo App while your away to browse and schedule programming from your Apple device.
Note: The free TiVo App from iTunes is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad (running iOS 4.0 or later). The TiVo and your Apple device must be connected to your home Wi-Fi network to enjoy all of its advanced functions.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
Yes Tivo charges $15.00 a month I decided to send it back and just pay my cable company to record shows.[ JENNIE Mar 05, 2014 ]
You could potentially keep a show forever in your Tivo as it comes out of the box. I believe the hard drive is upgradeable as well, but I'm not certain on this. It does also have a USB port to connect an external drive. Hope that helps.[ PAUL Feb 25, 2014 ]
According to the manual, you should be able to add a USB Hard drive. But we have not needed that feature yet, so I haven't tried it. Good luck! BTW: Tivo support has been excellent. We've had good luck getting them on the line.[ CHARLES J Feb 25, 2014 ]