Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Viper VSM200 SmartStart Module
Connects your smartphone to your remote start system
Viper VSM200 SmartStart Module
Our take on the Viper VSM200 SmartStart Module by Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Connect with your car by phone and the SmartStart App
Viper's SmartStart Module lets you use your smartphone or similar device to control the functions of your Viper system from a remote location. Connected via the Cloud and the Viper SmartStart App downloaded to your device, you can lock and unlock your doors, pop the trunk, or start a car equipped with a compatible Viper remote start system. If your phone has service, you can communicate with your car and control many of its functions remotely, even if you're hundreds of miles away.
The Viper SmartStart Secure service plan
You'll need to get a 1- or 3-year subscription to Viper's SmartStart Secure service plan in order to take advantage of the features SmartStart has to offer. The plan's most valuable and reassuring feature is membership in the Viper Motor Club, which entitles you to free roadside assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year — a great feature if you need towing, a new battery, or a tire.
Vehicle status reports
For your peace of mind, the SmartStart app includes a Vehicle Status screen that shows you whether your car's locked, armed, running, or has a door open, for instance. If anything disturbs your car's security system, SmartStart will send an alert to your phone and a text message with the details of the occurrence. Every time you use your phone to lock your car, the SmartPark feature remembers where you parked. To return, you press "Find My Car" and SmartPark shows you a map to your car accompanied by any helpful notes or photos you stored there.
More interactive features
Like a lot of security systems, the Viper SmartStart also includes a panic button, so you can set off an alarm in case of an emergency. Two auxiliary channels allow you to control additional actions like turning on the dome light or opening the windows. The unique SmartSchedule feature sends you behavior-based reminders when it's time to start your car, taking into account your commute time and outside temperature. The Parking Meter keeps track of the time remaining on your meter, alerting you when it's time to go feed it more coins.
"Siri, start my car"
That's right. If you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS 6, you can talk your car into doing all kinds of things, as long as you have phone service. SmartStart works with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices as well as Android SDK 1.6 or newer and BlackBerry OS 4.5 to 6 devices.The Home Control feature even allows you to access and control your Alarm.com-powered home security system from your smartphone, so you'll know your home is safe and sound while you're away.
What's in the Box:
- DSM200 SmartStart module with attached 5" harness
- 3' Power/ground harness with in-line 3A ATO fuse and 2-pin plug
- 6" 3-way harness with one 4-pin plug on one end and 3 plugs on the other end (brown 4-pin ESP plug / black 3-pin ESP plug / and a white 4-pin D2D plug)
- 3' Extension cable (4-pin plugs on both ends)
- Quick Reference/User's Guide
- Quick Reference/Install Guide
- Warranty sheet
- compatible with iOS (4.3 or later), Android (SDK 1.6 or newer), and BlackBerry (OS 4.5 to 6) devices
- works with most Viper, Directed, and Python remote start systems
- requires a SmartStart Secure service plan ($69.49 for 1 year, $168.99 for 3 years)
- plan connectivity managed via the Directed Cloud Services (DCS) network linking your car, the SmartStart App, the Internet, and your smartphone
- interface managed with the Viper SmartStart app downloaded to your device (available free from the iTunes® App Store, BlackBerry App World, or the Android Market site)
- features include lock/arm, unlock/disarm, remote start, trunk release, panic button, and 2 auxiliary channels
- service plan includes free membership in the Viper Motor Club with 24/7/365 roadside assistance
- sends Vehicle Status and SmartSchedule alerts
- SmartPark feature shows you where you parked
- Parking Meter keeps track of how much time is left on the meter
- Home Control connects to your Alarm.com home security system
- module dimensions: 3-13/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 11/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||---|
|Glass Break Sensor||---|
|Number of Remote Buttons||---|
|Number of Remote Functions||---|
|Factory Security Integration||---|
|Number of Cars||---|
|Remote Door Locks||---|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||---|
|Number of Zones||---|
Overview: The Viper VSM200 SmartStart module allows you to operate specific functions of your SmartStart-ready car security or remote start system from your compatible smart device. SmartStart 3.1.1 (current version as of June 2013) is compatible with iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch) with iOS 4.3 or later, Android devices with SDK 1.6 or newer, and Blackberry devices with OS 4.5 to 6. The free Viper SmartStart app can be downloaded from the iTunes App Store, Blackberry App World, or Google Play, depending upon which device you own. A service plan is required for most features.
Note: The iPod touch and some iPads communicate with the vehicle via Wi-Fi. The vehicle's SmartStart module and the iPod touch/iPad must be on the same LAN.
Multiple Vehicles: If you have a SmartStart module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your compatible smart device. The Cars Screen lets you select which vehicle to control.
Functionality: With SmartStart, you can use your compatible smart device to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. Using your device, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message.
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message.
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
Siri Integration: Users of the iPhone 5 and 4S running iOS 6 can use Siri to activate the remote start via voice command. The App Launch Action function must first be activated in the Setting Menu.
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open any of the five tabs:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle.
- Status: The Status tab lets you see at a glance the status of your vehicle and Viper system, including Remote Starter, Doors (locked/unlocked), Doors (open/closed), Trunk, Panic, Ignition, Hood, Active DTC Codes, Security System State, and Security System Triggered.
- GPS: SmartStart GPS is not available with the VSM200. The SmartStart GPS module (VSM250) would be required, and a subscription to a SmartStart GPS service plan in order to use the GPS features.
- More: The More button reveals nine additional options:
- Alerts: shows new status alerts from the alarm system
- Settings: lets you log into your account, change passcode, turn on/off features, and make general settings
- SmartSchedule: continually monitors the temperature, location, and scheduling variables, and will ping you with alerts when appropriate.
- Home Control: lets you control an Alarm.com-powered home security system from the SmartStart app.
- Viper Motor Club: Free 24/7/365 roadside assistance from the Viper Motor Club
- SmartPark: helps you find your car's location, and provides directions when needed.
- Parking Meter: helps you keep track of how much time is remaining on the parking meter, and will alert you when it's time to add more money to the meter.
- Customize: lets you purchase (99 cents) custom skins for the SmartStart app, including a pink color theme (benefits breast cancer research) and an Old School classic Viper 2-way Responder remote. Available for the iPhone version of the app only.
- Find a Dealer: helps you locate the nearest Viper dealer
Virtually Unlimited Range: SmartStart works over the 3G cellular network or over Wi-Fi, giving you virtually unlimited range anywhere in the United States. As long as your vehicle is in range of a GSM cellular signal and your phone has a 3G signal, SmartStart will work. When using Wi-Fi connection, both the vehicle and device must be connected to the same LAN.
SmartStart Service Plans: Once you have installed the DSM200 SmartStart Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart Service Plan. As of November 2013, the SmartStart Secure 1-year plan is $69.49, and the Secure 3-year plan is $168.99. Included at no charge is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
7 questions already asked
Yes, conditionally. The vehicle has to be equipped with a switch that restricts starting to when the clutch is depressed. [ Daniel Aug 07, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The VSM200 will allow you to control lock, unlock, SmartStart, trunk and panic functions. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jul 01, 2015 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Viper VSM200 SmartStart Module is not a stand-alone module as it will require the actual remote start system to work. We cannot activate the service with this module as that will need to be done directly with SmartStart, see here: SmartStart Service Plans: Once you have installed the DSM200 SmartStart Module, you will need to subscribe to a SmartStart Service Plan. As of November 2013, the SmartStart Secure 1-year plan is $69.49, and the Secure 3-year plan is $168.99. Included at no charge is membership in the SmartStart Motor Club, with free 24/7/365 roadside assistance. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 22, 2015 ] Staff
not real sur if it works with existing hardware. I purchesed the viper alarm and smart start together. I can tell u that I'm struggling to even get everything in. I've even taken it to my auto shop and they are struggling and crutch field had been no help to them. I've watched YouTube videos and they are saying that the smart start needs to be programmed to ur car so I'm trying to figure this out! if I were u I would either not buy it or take ur vehicle to a viper dealer! [ richard Jan 14, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The 607VSM200 is an add-on unit to an aftermarket remote start but not something that works with the factory remote start. The Viper VSS5000 is the full system and would require a by-pass to the factory system. Check it out on our website here: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607VSS5K/Viper-VSS5000-SmartStart-System.html If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Jan 13, 2015 ] Staff
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Jeff May 15, 2014 ] Staff
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: This Viper smart module will only work with Viper, Directed, and Python remote starts. It won't work for the Flash Logic remote start. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Mar 25, 2014 ] Staff
can i install this vsm200 & set up the account myself? seems like 2plugs to alarms brain unit [ H Jan 16, 2015 ]
Thanks for your question Patrick. For the specifics of what you will need to add remote start and keyless to your vehicle please contact an Advisor by phone or online chat. They'll be able to pull up your vehicle and this unit and see if anything additional will be needed. [ Jeff Dec 14, 2013 ] Staff