Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Viper VSM50BT SmartStart Bluetooth® Module
Connects your smartphone to your remote start system
Our take on the Viper VSM50BT SmartStart Bluetooth® Moduleby Crutchfield's Buck Pomerantz
Connect with your car's remote start system by phone
Viper's SmartStart Bluetooth Module lets you use your smartphone or similar device to secure and start your vehicle, and much much more. Connected via Bluetooth and the Viper SmartStart App that you've downloaded to your device, you can lock and unlock, pop the trunk, and start your car equipped with a compatible Viper system. If you're within range, you can communicate with your car and control many of its functions from your phone.
The extras you get with a Viper SmartStart Secure service plan
You can unlock and start your car via Bluetooth without a service plan, but your subscription to Viper's SmartStart Secure service plan allows you to take advantage of all the features SmartStart has to offer, like the virtually unlimited range of your smartphone. The service plan's most valuable and reassuring feature is membership in the Viper Motor Club, which entitles you to free roadside assistance, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year — a great feature if you need towing, a new battery, or a tire. SmartPark, another service plan feature, remembers where you parked whenever you use your phone to lock your car. To return, you press "Find My Car" and SmartPark shows you a map to your car accompanied by any helpful notes or photos you stored there.
Like a lot of security systems, the Viper SmartStart also includes a panic button, so you can set off an alarm in case of an emergency. Two auxiliary channels allow you to control additional actions like turning on the dome light or opening the windows, for example.
"Siri, start my car"
That's right. If you have an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 upgraded to iOS 6, you can talk your car into doing all kinds of things, as long as you have phone service. SmartStart works with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices as well as Android SDK 1.6 or newer and BlackBerry OS 4.5 to 6 devices. The Home Control feature even allows you to access and control your Alarm.com-powered home security system from your smartphone, so you'll know your home is safe and sound while you're away.
- compatible with iOS (4.3 or later), Android (SDK 1.6 or newer), and BlackBerry (OS 4.5 to 6) devices
- works with most Viper, Directed, and Python remote start systems
- Bluetooth connectivity does not require a service plan
- features include lock/arm, unlock/disarm, remote start, trunk release, panic button, and 2 auxiliary channels
- SmartStart Secure service plan available ($49.99 for 1 year, $119.99 for 3 years) which adds these features:
- service plan includes free membership in the Viper Motor Club which provides 24/7/365 roadside assistance
- SmartPark feature shows you where you parked (service plan required)
- Home Control connects to your Alarm.com home security system (service plan required)
- module dimensions: 2-9/16"W x 1-13/16"H x 1/2"D
- warranty: limited lifetime
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- VSM50BT SmartStart Bluetooth Control Module
- Mounting bracket
- 4 Flat-head self-tapping screws (length=10mm)
- 6' H1 harness with 3A in-line fuse on power wire and white 6-pin plug
- 10' H2 harness (black flat cable) with black and green 6-pin plugs
- Quick Reference User's Guide (English)
- Quick Reference User's Guide (French)
- Quick Reference Install Guide (English)
- Quick Reference Install Guide (French)
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Lines of Defense|
|Scan-resistant Remote Codes||---|
|Glass Break Sensor||---|
|Number of Remote Buttons||---|
|Number of Remote Functions||---|
|Factory Security Integration||---|
|Number of Cars||---|
|Remote Door Locks||---|
|Manual Transmission Compatible||---|
|Number of Zones||---|
Overview: The Viper VSM50BT SmartStart Bluetooth module allows you to operate specific functions of your vehicle with your smartphone via Bluetooth. It can be added an existing Viper product, including security, remote start, and hybrid systems. It can also be installed as a standalone item to lock/unlock your doors, and pop the trunk/rear door. SmartStart currently works in the US and Canada. No service plan is required with the VSM50BT.
Note: The VSM50BT works with negative switching locks only. Any other type of door locking system such as positive switching, 5 wire reversal, or single wire door lock systems will require the 607451M (sold separately).
Smartphone Compatibility: With the VSM50BT installed, you can remote start (if applicable), lock, and unlock your car by pushing a button on your smartphone, using the free Directed SmartStart App. The app is available from the iTunes App Store, Google Play, and BlackBerry App World. SmartStart is compatible with the following smartphones:
- iOS: iPhone, iPad, iPod touch (iOS 4.3 and newer)
- Android: SDK 1.6 or newer
- BlackBerry: OS 4.5 to 6. A beta app for OS7 is also available.
Operating Range: During normal operations, you should be able to connect with your SmartStart Bluetooth system from up to 200 feet away. The range can be affected by local interference, which direction you are from the vehicle (facing it from the side, front, or rear), and whether you are moving or standing still. Your smartphone will indicate the Bluetooth connection status on its display.
Installation: The VSM50BT can easily interface with your existing Directed security, remote start or hybrid system. The Bluetooth Control Module is connected between the existing Directed control module and the system's Control Center via the supplied cable. A simple power and ground connection is also needed. If you are installing the VSM50BT as a standalone unit, Door Lock, Door Unlock, Start/Stop, and Trunk wires have to be connected in addition to Power and Ground.
Multiple Vehicles: If you have a SmartStart Bluetooth module installed in more than one vehicle, you can choose which vehicle to control right from your compatible smart device. The Cars Screen lets you name and attach a picture for each vehicle you wish to control. You can select the desired vehicle from the Cars Screen.
Power Saver Mode: If the SmartStart Bluetooth module doesn't detect a connection with your smartphone for 24 hours, it will go into Power Saver mode to reduce battery consumption. Power Saver mode reduces power consumption to less than 12mA, approximately one-third of normal power consumption. The module can be manually turned off (Sleep Mode) to eliminate virtually all current draw. This is helpful if you plan on parking your vehicle for long term storage.
LED Functions: The module has an LED that indicates the status of the SmartStart system. The LED blinks blue to indicate pairing with your smartphone, and glows solid when connection is made. It shuts off after 2 minutes of inactivity to prevent distraction. The LED blinks red to indicate it's about to go into Power Saver Mode, and lights solid for a brief time when you have selected Sleep Mode. The Red LED also indicates programming step confirmation for installers.
Functionality: With SmartStart Bluetooth added to an existing Viper security system/remote starter, you can use your smartphone to pre-warm your car's cabin in the winter, pre-cool it in the summer, lock/unlock the doors, arm/disarm your alarm, or find your car in the parking lot. Your vehicle responds exactly the same way as it does when using the alarm system's remote control, with audible and visual confirmations. On your smartphone, you can perform the following commands, which appear as icons on the touchscreen:
- Lock: Locks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also arm your vehicle's car alarm.)
- Unlock: Unlocks the vehicle and sends a confirmation message. (Can also disarm your vehicle's car alarm)
- SmartStart: Remote starts your vehicle and sends a confirmation message. The vehicle stays running for the programmed run time (default is 12 minutes). You can tap the icon again to turn off the vehicle.
- Trunk: Tapping the icon once opens a dialog box, asking you to confirm the command (Yes/No). If you tap "Yes" the trunk opens the trunk and a confirmation message is sent.
- Panic: Activates the panic mode for 30 seconds. You can tap the icon again to turn off. (This feature is used to attract attention if you're in a threatening position. It can also be used as a car finder.)
Menu Bar/Screens: At the bottom of the SmartStart app screen, the menu bar provides buttons to open any of the four screens:
- Home: The Home screen is the default screen, and gives you access to all of the remote commands: Lock, Unlock, SmartStart, Trunk, and Panic.
- Cars: The Cars screen allows you to control multiple vehicles if you have a compatible security/remote start system installed in more than one vehicle.
- Status: The Status screen can show you the current status of your vehicle, letting you know if the engine is running or not, doors are closed/open and locked/unlocked, trunk and hood are open/closed, whether the alarm is armed or unarmed. (Vehicle status requires compatible Directed SmartStart GSM hardware with a service plan.)
- GPS: The GPS screen lets you locate and control your car from almost anywhere. (Requires GSM and GPS hardware with a service plan.)
- More: Lets you access settings and other advanced app features.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
6 questions already asked
For details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle.[ Krissy Dec 17, 2014 ] Staff
1 answer I have the viper remote start and alarm system already in my car. I also added the 3yr service plan with the app that allows me to unlock and alarm my car from anywhere I have cell phone service. My question is that can I add this BT system to my existing system and still retain my viper motor club plan which allows me to arm it when I am out of range from the bluetooth??? I was told that I couldn't have both the bluetooth and my existing plan that has unlimited range . Hope this all makes sense. [ Chris Apr 11, 2014 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your current system. They will be able to check your system and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you.[ Jeff Apr 14, 2014 ] Staff
Not sure on that matter, but you can download a free app that allows you to locate the car via the iphone. you may check with garmin on the unlock question.[ GEORGE Mar 17, 2014 ]
Doug, from what I understand, you also need to buy the hardware module. I would suggest talking to one of the Crutchfield Advisors with your specific question.[ JAMES Mar 04, 2014 ]
We have not received any answers from other customers on your question. I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question.[ Jeff Feb 10, 2014 ] Staff
No. This unit is designed to connect the installed remote start. For more details I would recommend contacting an Advisor by phone or online chat.[ Jeff Dec 30, 2013 ] Staff
For questions on what is needed for installation of this in your vehicle please contact an Advisor by phone or chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see what integration pieces may be available.[ Jeff Dec 16, 2013 ] Staff