Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Stereo AM/FM/CD/Internet radio receiver
Our take on the Marantz M-CR603 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
You keep your music everywhere. You've got CDs in the truck and a flash drive for the office. Let's not forget the iPod® you take running, and probably every place else. At the end of the day, wouldn't it be great to have one place to bring it all together? That's where the Marantz M-CR603 comes in.
Built to play all your music — beautifully
Gather your CD collection — the discs you bought and the discs you burned. Dig your thumb drive out from your coat pocket. Pull your portable player out of your gym bag. The 'CR603 can take almost any source of music you can dish out. You can plug your iPod® straight into the receiver's front panel — no dock needed. This connection bypasses your iPod's audio circuitry, using the receiver's built-in high-quality digital-to-analog converter. That means your favorite tunes will take on new life. Plus, you can upgrade this receiver to add Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient access to your iTunes® library. And with outputs for two sets of speakers, you can add a second pair, or bi-amp a single pair of bi-ampable speakers for sound with a little more oomph.
Music from home — and abroad
Did you hear that click when you plugged a network cable into the M-CR603's Ethernet port? That's the sound of your musical world opening wide. This DLNA-certified receiver not only plays music files from your computer, but its DAC will have them sounding great. And with high-speed Internet, you'll also have global selections from online radio stations, and easy streaming from a variety of music services, including Rhapsody®, Pandora® and Napster® (subscriptions may be required.)
Unleash your iTunes® music — free upgrade to AirPlay®
Apple's exciting AirPlay technology lets you access your favorite music from your iPhone®, iPad™, iPod touch®, or your iTunes library on your computer using this Marantz receiver. You'll be able to control iTunes and see music information, including your album art, track titles, and artist info on your compatible Apple device, or on your TV if your Marantz receiver is equipped with a video output. First you will need a free firmware upgrade. Go to the Marantz website for instructions on how to download and activate the upgrade. Requires a wireless home network. Receiver requires wired connection to the router.
What's in the Box:
- Integrated network/CD receiver
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC009CR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- iPod/iPhone stand
- User Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Limited Warranty (US)
- Limited Warranty (Canada)
- 40 watts x 2 into 8 ohms (1 kHz) at 0.7% THD
- Apple AirPlay®-ready with free firmware upgrade from Marantz
- Internet-ready with Ethernet access to music from Internet radio stations (broadband service required)
- iPod® integration direct through USB (bypasses the player's DAC for superior sound quality)
- AM/FM tuner with 99 station presets
- 3 analog audio inputs, 1 optical input, 1 analog output
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for a high-speed connection to a home network
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
- built-in CD player plays CDs, CD-R/RW, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- Bluetooth® streaming with optional Marantz RX101
- front-panel USB port for flash drive playback
- 1 mono RCA output for powered subwoofer
- four sets of speaker binding posts can be used for bi-amp capable speakers or A and B pairs
- 25 watts x 4 into 8 ohms in selectable bi-amp mode
- headphone mini jack
- sleep timer
- remote control and iPod stand
- 11"W x 4-3/8"H x 13-3/8"D
- weight: 9.8 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz M-CR603 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Stereo RMS Power (watts)||40|
|THD in Stereo||0.7 %|
|Frequency Bandwidth (stereo)||1k Hz|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Signal To Noise Ratio||100dB|
|Phono Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Wired or Wireless Network||---|
|HD Radio Tuner||No|
|Satellite Radio Ready||---|
|Total Number of Zones||1|
|Multibrand Remote Control||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Total Audio Inputs||---|
|Digital Audio Inputs||---|
|Speaker Output Pairs||2|
Overview: The Marantz M-CR603 is an Integrated CD/Network Receiver. The Marantz M-CR603 features a built-in AM/FM tuner and single-disc CD player. The M-CR603 features a network connection, so you can listen to Internet radio and music stored on your PC. The integrated CD/network receiver's USB port lets you connect your flash memory device or iPod/iPhone. The Marantz integrated CD/network receiver is equipped with a 40 watt x 2-channel digital amplifier and provides a subwoofer preamp output. An IR wireless remote control is included for added convenience.
4-Channel Digital Amplifier: The Marantz M-CR603 features an ultra-efficient 4-channel discrete digital amplifier. The digital amplifier produces little heat so it provides a stable, cool environment for exceptional long-term reliability. The amplifier is rated at 40 watts x 2-channel at 1kHz, in 8-ohms, with 0.7% THD (50 watts x 2-channel at 1kHz, in 6-ohms, with 0.7% THD).
A & B Speakers: Speaker A and B mode allows for two pair of loudspeakers in different rooms with the same source playing in both. With the output of Speaker A fixed, the audio level of Speaker B can be adjusted within the range of -6 dB to +6 dB.
Stereo Bi-Amp Operation: A bi-amp connection is possible with speakers that have two set of inputs by combining the receiver's A & B speaker connections. This allows you to drive the treble and bass drivers of a speaker with separate amplifier channels, which enables better sound quality.
Analog Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz M-CR603 features three analog audio stereo inputs and one analog audio stereo output. There are two stereo RCA inputs on the rear-panel and one stereo minijack (3.5mm) input on the front-panel. There is also a stereo RCA output on the back panel of the unit.
Digital Input: The Marantz M-CR603 is equipped with one optical digital input for connecting a digital audio source, such as your satellite/cable box, TV, DVD, or Blu-ray player.
Speaker Terminals: High quality binding-post screw terminals provide secure connection to your choice of loudspeaker cable. The unit's binding-post screw terminals will accept banana plugs (single/dual), pin-connectors, and bare wire. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.
Note: The M-CR603 will support speakers with impedances from 6 to 8 ohms.
Subwoofer Output: The Marantz M-CR603 features a mono subwoofer preamp output for connecting a powered subwoofer.
Headphone Output: The M-CR603 features a front-panel 3.5mm headphone output. Once a set of headphones is connected, the receiver's connected speakers (A/B) are muted.
Tone Adjustments: The Marantz M-CR603 offers Bass, Treble, Balance, Bass Boost, and S.Direct sound adjustments.
- Bass & Treble: Independent Bass & Treble adjustments (+/-10dB) to emphasize low and high frequencies.
- Balance: Adjust the left & right volume balance (L6/R6).
- Dynamic Bass Boost (DBB): Emphasize the system's bass sound (On/Off).
- Source Direct (S.Direct): High-quality audio playback without passing the audio signal through the unit's sound quality adjustment circuits.
Speaker Setup: The receiver's Speaker Setup menu lets you match your speakers and their location to the Marantz integrated CD/network receiver. Five types of settings can be selected. A different setting can be selected for Speaker A & B.
- Response 1: Cuts low frequencies of 60 Hz or under by -12dB/oct.
- Response 2: Cuts low frequencies of 100 Hz or under by -12dB/oct.
- Response 3: Cuts low frequencies of 60 Hz or under by -12dB/oct. Also, raises the 400 Hz region by 3 dB.
- Response 4: Cuts low frequencies of 100 Hz or under by -12dB/oct. Also, raises the 400 Hz region by 3 dB.
- Flat: The crossover is set to flat. This enhances bass frequencies when speakers are placed directly on furniture or on a rack.
Protection Circuit: The unit's protection circuit is activated in the following situations:
- If the speaker cable wire touches the rear panel or screws, or if the speaker cable's positive and negatives leads are touching.
- If the surrounding temperature is extremely high.
- If the inside of the amplifier gets hot due to extended use at a high volume levels.
Built-in AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz M-CR603 is equipped with a built-in AM/FM tuner with excellent sensitivity to pull in those weaker signals.
Preset Tuning: You can store up to 99 of your favorite AM/FM radio stations. You can do this manually, or have the integrated receiver do it automatically for you.
Station Names: You can give each preset station (up to 99) an 8-character name, so it can be easily indentified.
External Antennas: The Marantz M-CR603 comes with an external AM loop antenna and external FM wire antenna. The unit features spring-clip terminals for the AM antenna and a push-on coaxial connector for the FM antenna.
Disc Compatibility: The Marantz M-CR603 features a built-in CD player that supports playback of CD-Audio, CD-Text, and CD-R/RW discs (12cm or 8cm).
MP3/WMA Playback: The built-in CD player supports playback of MP3 (32-320 kbps) and WMA (64-192 kbps) audio files recorded onto CD-R/RW discs in ISO9660 level 1 format. The unit can recognize up to 256 folders, with a total of 512 folders and files. The M-CR603 will display ID3-Tag (ver.1.x/2.x) and META-Tag information (compatible with title, artist, and album names).
Playback Modes: The Marantz M-CR603 features Repeat, Random, and Program playback modes.
- Repeat: Track, Folder, or All
- Random: All, Folder
- Program: Up to 25 track can be programmed.
USB Port: The Marantz M-CR603 is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port for easy, direct connection of a USB mass storage class (MSC) device. The front-panel USB port supports playback of MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), AAC (16-320 kbps), WAV (16-bit), and FLAC (16/20/24-bit) audio files recorded in FAT 16 or FAT 32 onto a USB mass storage class (MSC) device. The unit can recognize up to 255 folders and 255 files per folder. When a USB device is connected, playback will start automatically. You can control basic operations (Play, Pause, Stop, Fast Forward, Rewind, Repeat, and Random) of your connected USB device. The unit also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and WMA META tag information so title, artist and album names can be displayed.
Note: Copyright-protected file cannot be played. USB memory devices will not work via a USB hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The unit's front-panel USB (type-A) port can also be used to directly connect your Apple iPod or iPhone. The Marantz M-CR603 supports direct USB connection, audio playback, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhones. The Marantz M-CR603 offers the following iPod/iPhone functions.
- DAC Bypass: The USB connection features digital audio signal handling, which routes the digital signal to the M-CR603's 24 bit/192 kHz audiophile quality D/A converters for optimum fidelity (bypassing the iPod/iPhone's internal DAC).
- Music Navigation: You can choose to operate your connected iPod/iPhone from the M-CR603's front-panel controls and remote control, or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The Marantz M-CR603 lets you browse by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. It also offers Play/Pause, Stop, Skip/Back, Repeat, and Random functions.
- Music Information Display: The Marantz receiver will display Track #, Elapsed playing time; as well as Song, Artist, and Album name on the unit's display. You can also choose to view the music information on your iPod or iPhone.
- Battery Charging: The M-CR603 will charge your connected iPod or iPhone when the receiver is powered up.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Marantz M-CR603 is "Made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following specific iPod/iPhone models (as of 2/14/2012).
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the receiver and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
iPod/iPhone Stand: A plastic stand is included to rest your iPod or iPhone when it is connected to the Marantz network/CD receiver.
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Marantz M-CR603. Using the Remote App on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad and your wireless home network, you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info on your Apple compatible device or the Marantz CD/network receiver.
Note: This AirPlay compatible component requires a free firmware upgrade to enjoy this exclusive technology, using the receiver's "Feature Upgrade" function. Visit Marantz.com for firmware upgrade.
Network Connection: You can connect the M-CR603's RJ-45 (LAN) Ethernet port to your home's network and playback music files that are stored on your computer. You can also listen to internet radio through the receiver's network connection.
Note: This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
DLNA Certified: The M-CR603's Ethernet connection is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant, so you can easily access and enjoy digital music stored your PC through your home audio system.
Music Server: The M-CR603 lets you play music files stored on your computer via a network connection. Music files can be preset and registered to your favorites for instant playback. MP3 (32-320 kbps), WMA (48-192 kbps), AAC (16-320 kbps), WAV (16-bit), and FLAC (16/20/24-bit) audio files stored on your computer can be played through the Marantz M-CR603 via its network connection. You can control playback of your streamed audio files from the Marantz receiver. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and WMA META tag information so song title, artist name, and album name, can be seen on the unit's display.
Internet Radio (by vTuner): The Marantz M-CR603 lets you access Internet Radio stations from around the world. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320 kbps) and WMA (48-192 kbps) format are supported. You can choose from thousands of Internet Radio stations and sort them by genre and region. Up to 56 Internet radio stations can be preset. You can listen to your favorite music through the following Internet Radio services - Rhapsody, Napster, and Pandora.
- Napster: The monthly music subscription service Napster is accessible. You can search for particular tracks on Napster and register your favorite tracks to the "My Napster Library".
- Pandora: Once the receiver is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 original radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour.
- Rhapsody: Rhapsody is another paid music broadcast service accessible through the receiver. You can search for particular tracks on Rhapsody and register your favorite tracks to "My Library". You can also search for similar music to the music you are currently listening to.
Note: This receiver's Internet Radio Station list is created using a radio station database service (vTuner). This database service provides a list edited and created for this unit.
Compact Aluminum Cabinet: The Marantz M-CR603 features a stylish and compact aluminum cabinet. At just 11.0625" wide and 4.375" tall, the Marantz M-CR603 fits almost anywhere.
Favorites: The Favorite function allows you to register your favorite broadcast stations and files in a Favorite List in advance, so that you can recall them and listen to those stations or files whenever you want. You can register Internet radio stations, music server files, and tuner presets as favorites (up to 50).
Organic Electroluminescence Display (OELD): The Marantz M-CR603 uses a high-contrast, 3-line organic electroluminescence display (OELD). The display's brightness can be set to 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, or Off.
Auto Clock Adjust: When this unit is connected to the Internet, the current time is set automatically.
Sleep Timer: Use t his function to automatically switch the unit's power to the standby mode after a specific amount of time. The sleep timer can be set up to 90 minutes, in steps of 10 minutes.
Auto Standby: This unit will automatically enter the Standby Mode after approximately 30 continuous minutes of no operation.
Last Function Memory: This function store the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back one, the settings are restored.
Wireless Remote Control: The Marantz M-CR603 includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the integrated CD/network receiver and your connected USB or iPod/iPhone device.
Bluetooth Ready: Through its proprietary M-XPort, the M-CR603 offers Bluetooth capability. Simply add the optional RX101 Bluetooth adaptor (642RX101, sold separately) to the M-CR603 and you can play the music stored on any Bluetooth-enabled portable device (your iPhone, iPod Touch, or PDA for example) through your home audio system. The optional RX101 doubles as an IR (infrared) receiver so you can place all your components out of sight and still maintain full remote control.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.