Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Home theater receiver
Item # 642NR1501 | MFR # NR1501
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz NR1501 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Marantz packed big home theater sound into the NR1501, but sized it just right to fit comfortably on a normal-sized shelf or TV stand. This full-featured component measures only half the height of many surround sound receivers, yet it boasts all the clean power you need to drive up to seven speakers, and enough inputs to connect all your A/V gear. Marantz's meticulous attention to detail and construction quality, including carefull isolation of audio and video circuit boards, ensures ultra-high signal purity and performance. The result rich, enveloping surround sound for all your movies, music, TV shows, and video games.
Simple one-cable hookup to your HDTV
Connect up to four HDMI-equipped components for easy switching. If you've got an HDTV with only one HDMI input, you'll really appreciate this handy feature. Analog-to-HDMI conversion lets you send all your video sources to an HDMI-capable TV using a one-cable digital connection, simplifying hookup and preserving the best possible picture quality for each source.
Auto speaker setup tailors sound to your room
Marantz's auto setup and room calibration system takes the hassle out of speaker configuration. Just plug in the included microphone and place it in your favorite listening seat. The NR1501 then uses a series of test tones to balance speaker levels and fine-tune the delay and equalization settings for each speaker. The result is optimized home theater performance for your specific speakers and room.
All reviews repeat the same over, and over, and over... BUT THEY'RE RIGHT!!! Better price, great sound, and incredible performance. I connect my Bose Acoustimass 12 speakers and BOOM!!! You can hear every tiny detail on it.
El Yuki PR, Dorado, PR
What's in the Box:
- AV surround receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- RC006SR remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- MC101 microphone with attached 16' cord terminated by a male 3.5mm minijack connector
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- User Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
Power and Processing:
- 50 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- MRAC (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration) auto setup system (microphone included)
Digital Music Options:
- iPod® integration (requires optional Marantz IS301)
Audio Performance Features:
- Source Direct mode switches off all unused circuitry for the cleanest possible sound
- independent audio circuit board for improved sound and minimal interference
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- detachable power cord
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.3a
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion
- component video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 3 audio/video inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 1 front-panel minijack input for connecting a portable music player
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation
- sleep timer
- multibrand remote
- 17-3/8"W x 4-1/16"H x 15-5/8"D
- weight: 19 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz NR1501 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
7Ch Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz NR1501 A/V Surround Receiver features an 50 watts x 7-channel all discrete amplifier. This very efficient seven channel in-line amplifier benefits from voltage feedback for enhanced linearity and employs a massive EI power transformer. This design configuration is capable of a clear and powerful reproduction of the most demanding action movie soundtracks and full range multi-channel music discs. Through its ability to generate very high output voltages, the unit can easily drive the most demanding speaker with optimum results.
Isolated Audio Circuit Board: The carefully-optimized audio signal path rests on a separate circuit board for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high speed video processing.
M.R.A.C. (Marantz Room Acoustic Calibration): The Marantz NR1501 is equipped with an auto-setup function that uses a high-performances DSP (digital signal processor) to analyze the data obtained by measuring the characterizes of the connected speakers and the characteristics of your listening room using the supplied wired microphone; and which based on the results of this analysis and arithmetic calculation processing, compensates the frequency characters in such a way that the entire listening room becomes the optimum listening environment.
Note: You can also manually setup up your speaker configurations. You can select the presence and size of each speaker, the distance of each speaker from your normal listening position, the crossover setting for each speaker, and the level of each speaker in your system.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz NR1501 incorporates advanced 32-bit digital signal processing circuitry, along with a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's 7 channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz NR1501 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Source Direct: In this mode the 2ch audio signal is played in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Multichannel audio signal is played in its original form, without any tone processing.
Bass & Treble: You can adjust the receiver's Bass and Treble (+/-10db) independently to suit your listening taste or room acoustics.
Subwoofer Mode: This function allows the low frequencies to be played through the main Front left/right speakers as well as the powered subwoofer, or only through the Front left/right speakers. The subwoofer mode is only effective when your front speakers are set to Full Range and the subwoofer set to Yes.
HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
Night Mode: Useful at night or when loud noise is undesirable, this mode compresses the dynamic range, making it easier to hear quieter audio content without increasing the overall volume of your system. Night Mode is only effective for Dolby Digital content.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: There are 2 optical digital inputs and 1 coaxial digital input on the receiver's rear-panel. The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, DVD, or other digital source component. You can designate the input for each digital input according to your component.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post speaker terminals for the front, center, and surround speaker channels; and has spring-clip speaker terminals for the surround-back speaker channels. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin-connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors. The spring-clip terminals can accept bare wire and pin-connectors.
- Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: The receiver features a front-panel minijack (3.5mm) auxiliary input for connecting an external audio source, such as a portable digital audio player.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz NR1501 features a built-in AM/FM tuner which can automatically or manually store up to 30 AM/FM presets.
Memory Backup: This unit is equipped with a backup function to prevent memory data such as the preset memory from being erased.
Sleep Timer: The receiver offers a Sleep Timer which will automatically turn the unit off after 10, 20, 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
HDMI (version 1.3) Inputs/Output: This unit has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output on its rear-panel which support x.v.color and Deep Color. The receiver can send digital video and audio signals from DVDs and other sources directly to your connected display. HDMI minimizes signal degradation caused by analog conversion so that high quality images can be enjoyed.
Video Conversion: The Marantz NR1501 is equipped with an up-converter (that converts composite and component signals to HDMI signal) for the video signals using full-digital processing. The built-in video up-converter lets you enjoy your favorite composite and component videos on your flat-screen television through the receiver's HDMI output and your television's HDMI input.
Note: Analog video signals up-converted to HDMI are output without any processing of the original resolution. HDMI digital video signals cannot be converted to analog video signals.
Lip Sync: The Lip Sync function delays the audio signals and adjust the difference in their timing from the video signals. The default setting is 0 ms and can be adjusted up to 200 ms.
Component Video Input2/Output: This unit has 3 component video inputs to obtain the color information (Y, Cb, Cr) directly from the recorded DVD signal or other video component; and 1 component video output to output the video signal directly into the matrix decoder of your television. By sending the pure DVD component video signal directly, the DVD signal forgoes the extra processing that normally would degrade the image. The result is vastly increased image quality, with incredibly life like colors and crisp detail.
On-Screen Display: The receiver incorporates an on-screen menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set. To view the on-screen display, you will need to connect the Monitor Out jack of the receiver to the composite, component video, or HDMI input of your television.
Input Name: The names of the receiver input functions can be changed as desired. The maximum number of characters that can be registered for the names is 8, including spaces. The function names that you register will appear on the unit's display.
Dimmer: The unit's front-panel display can be dimmed or turned off completely.
Multibrand Remote Control: This multibrand remote control is preset with a total of 10 types of remote codes for Marantz gear, including: Marantz BD (Blu-ray), Game, DVD, VCR , DSS, Tuner, CD, AUX1, AUX2, and Amplifier. The remote control is also preset with remote control codes from AV equipment by other manufacturers. The preset codes are TV, CD, DVD, BD, and DSS. The remote control features glow-key buttons so the remote is easy to see in the dark, while you are watching a movie.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NR1501 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.