Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
5.1-channel home theater receiver with Apple® AirPlay®
Item # 642NR1504 | MFR # NR-1504
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz NR1504 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
A slim receiver packed with features
The Marantz NR1504 is sized just right to fit comfortably on just about any bookshelf or TV stand. This full-featured model measures only half the height of many surround sound receivers, yet it boasts all the clean power you need to drive five speakers, and enough inputs to connect a full complement of A/V sources. Plus, the '1504 sports built-in Apple AirPlay® and a host of online entertainment options.
Convenient iTunes® playback with AirPlay®
Apple's easy-to-use AirPlay technology lets you access your favorite music from your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®, or from your iTunes library on your computer. You'll be able to control playback and see music information — including album art, track titles, and artist info — on your compatible Apple device, or on your TV. AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and the network.
Of course, you can also connect your iPod easily to the front-panel USB port to make a direct digital connection. Marantz's carefully designed audio circuitry will reproduce your music with clear, detailed sound.
Never-ending music choices via the Internet
Your listening options aren't limited to the songs in your music library, either. The NR1504 lets you choose from thousands of free Internet radio stations or explore online subscription services like SiriusXM, Pandora®, and Spotify®. This receiver even streams photos from your PC or online from Flickr, so you can view your favorite photos on your HDTV's large screen.
Due to changes implemented by Pandora, this receiver is temporarily unable to connect to the Pandora service. A firmware update to resolve this issue will be released on 11/24/2016.
Remote possibilities for your smartphone
Download a free app, and your iOS® or Android™ device becomes a convenient Wi-Fi® remote. You'll enjoy the intuitive, easy-to-read interface — plus that's one remote that's not likely to get lost in the sofa cushions. Requires a wireless home network.
The Marantz NR1504 has built-in Apple AirPlay for convenient access to your iTunes library (iPad not included).
Easy switching for six HD components
Blu-ray players, video game consoles, and HD satellite, cable and DVR boxes all go well with the NR1504. HDMI switching lets you send all your high-def digital video sources through a single connection to your TV, making hookup a breeze. Marantz takes the extra step of carefully isolating this unit's internal audio and video circuit boards. This ensures ultra-high signal purity for rich, enveloping surround sound with all your movies, music, TV shows, and video games. And cutting edge decoding delivers the master-quality sound that comes with most of today's Blu-ray discs.
Quick and easy setup and control
The Marantz NR1504 has an on-board setup assistant to help you make all the right connections for your system. The supplied setup microphone allows this receiver to analyze sound from different listening positions, while you sit back as the receiver automatically adjusts level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. The result is accurate response across a wide listening area instead of just a single "sweet spot," so everyone in the room can enjoy precisely balanced home theater sound.Learn about the ins and outs of HDMI connections at the Crutchfield Learning Center.
Shop our selection of HDMI cables.
Looks great and fits my entertainment cabinet . Cabeling components is simple with the unit.
Robert, St Marys, OH
What's in the Box:
- 5.1ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC020SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Getting Started guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
Digital Music Options:
- built-in Apple AirPlay® for ultra-convenient iTunes® music playback
- AirPlay streaming requires a home Wi-Fi® network and a wired connection between your receiver and home network
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- direct digital connection for your iPod®/iPhone® via the front-panel USB port bypasses your player's digital-to-analog converter for better sound
- Ethernet port for music and JPEG streaming from a wired PC network
- DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) certified to ensure optimal compatibility with other network-enabled equipment
- access Internet radio stations and digital streaming services (broadband connection required)
- optional streaming services include SiriusXM Internet Radio, Pandora® and Spotify® (registration and subscription may be required)
- firmware update needed to connect to Pandora: available 11/24/2016
- wireless Bluetooth® capability with optional Marantz Bluetooth receiver
Audio Performance Features:
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- direct mode switches off unnecessary circuitry to provide cleaner sound
- detachable power cord
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (6 in, 1 out)
- HDMI version 1.4 with support for 3D video, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, x.v.Color, auto lip-sync, and HDMI-CEC
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- 1 audio-only input
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 1 pair of main speaker outputs
- preamp output for a powered subwoofer
- on-screen display for easier system setup and operation (via HDMI only)
- built-in Easy Setup Assistant
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, USB, or tuner) while watching video from a different source
- free Marantz remote app lets you use your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- sleep timer
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- 56 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17-5/16"W x 4-1/8"H x 15-9/16"D
- weight: 18 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz NR1504 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
5-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz NR1504 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The five channel amplifier is rated at 50 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Isolated Audio Circuit Boards + High Current Power Supply: The carefully-optimized audio signal path rests on a separate circuit board for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high speed video processing. The Marantz NR1504 AV surround receiver also employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs: The Marantz NR1504 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's five channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz NR1504 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The NR1504 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1channel surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Audyssey Technology: The NR1504 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ automatically sets speakers to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics.
- Audyssey MultEQ: Audyssey MultEQ technology helps create an
optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the included setup
microphone, Audyssey MultEQ measures sound levels and adjusts speaker
configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This room acoustic
measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included microphone) the audio
characteristics of your speaker system and your listening environment at up to 6
measurement points and automatically tailors the sound for top audio fidelity.
You can set the Audyssey MultEQ to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings; adjust from -20 to +6 dB at 63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz.
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
Stereo Modes: The Marantz NR1504 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Direct Modes: The Marantz NR1504 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry. Source Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Pure Direct Mode goes a step further by turning off the receiver's display and analog video circuitry to minimize the possibility of any noised being added to the audio signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz NR1504 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Tone Control: You can adjust the receiver's Bass and Treble (+/-6db) independently to suit your listening taste or room acoustics.
Level Adjustments: The NR1504 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The NR1504 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The NR1504 features an optical digital (Toslink) input and a coaxial digital input. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 16-ohm.
- Preamp Outputs: The NR1504 home receiver is fitted with 3 preamp outputs (Front L/R, Mono-Sub).
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
HDMI (v1.4a): With six HDMI v1.4 inputs (5 rear/1 front), the NR1504 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices, such as your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite receiver, to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. The receiver's HDMI v.1.4 jacks are compatible with 1080p/24Hz & 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 3D Pass-Through: With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The NR1504 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the NR1504 , you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The NR1504 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features 3 composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. There are no component video inputs.
Picture Mode: The receiver provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal via USB, Tuner, or Network.
Network Connection: The Marantz NR1504 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the NR1504 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The NR1504 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes. This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The NR1504 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the NR1504 's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz NR1504 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz NR1504 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the NR1504 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 4/18/2013). The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
Pandora (requires future firmware update scheduled for 11/24)
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually. You can create an 8-character name for each preset station. You can even directly enter a station number using the receiver's on-screen menu and remote control.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The NR1504 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date. The tested Marantz NR1504 contained firmware version 9300-7784.6170. (as of 4/24/2013).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.1+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) port and HDMI port for playback of audio and video files from select iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices.
- Audio Playback: The NR1504 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI (song/artist text will also display on receiver's front-panel display).
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad with Lightning-connector to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The NR1504 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions (as of 9/24/2014):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||AirPlay||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the receiver. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 (up to 2TB). The unit can recognize up to 500 folders and 5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the A/V receiver supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz NR1504 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: USB memory device will not work via a Hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
Slim Design Chassis w/ Contoured Front-Panel: The Marantz NR1504 A/V Surround Receiver features a slim designed chassis which measures only 17.3125" wide x 4.125" tall x 15.5625" deep so it easily fits on a shelf or inside a cabinet. The Marantz NR1504 features a contoured front-panel that combines aluminum and glass-reinforced resins for maximum shielding, dimensional stability, and sophisticated styling. The front-panel is clean, precise, and inviting. Volume and input selection knobs flank a rectangular volume/source display.
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): The AV receiver's on-screen menu provides quick information about your system's settings. You can easily make settings for your home theater system while viewing menus on the TV screen. Simple settings are enabled with the setting menus displayed on the TV screen. The Marantz NR1504 also features an on-screen Setup Wizard that provides easy-to-follow setup instructions. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. These menu displays can only be output to your TV via HDMI. If you connect the receiver to your television via only composite video, you will need to use the A/V receiver's front-panel display for menu and source adjustments.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Panel Lock: To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Timers: The receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
IR Remote Control: The Marantz NR1504 comes with an IR wireless remote control that can operate this receiver only. The remote control features Glow keys so it can easily be used in the dark.
HDMI Control: The Marantz NR1504 can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the NR1504 's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the NR1504 's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Remote Connections: The Marantz NR1504 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the NR1504 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the NR1504 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App (from iTunes App Store or Google Play) lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS (4.3+) or Android (1.5+) device. The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your mobile device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I own Marantz products and I think they are awesome! [ Ivan Nov 25, 2016 ]
compact size with adequate power for my fairly efficient speakers NHT Super Zero (L&R) and Super center [ John Nov 24, 2016 ]
Chose this receiver foremost because I needed a receiver with Apple Play and I am familiar with the Marantz brand as a high quality receiver. The fact that it was compact and reasonably priced was huge plus. The only minor issue is that the display is a light orange color; the ad appeared a more bluish color. But it functions very nicely and the 50 watts of power are sufficient to drive my Mirage S2 floor speakers and center speaker. Rear speakers are not hooked up. [ MICHAEL Nov 17, 2016 ]
IT MEET MY NEEDS DUE TO THE SPECIFIC SPEAKERS I HAVE PLUS THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. [ JOHN Nov 17, 2016 ]
I chose this because of the brand's reputation, and the list of features compared to other 5.1 receivers in this price range. [ JOSHUA B Nov 13, 2016 ]
All of the great reviews on Crutchfields site. I really appreciate hearing what other have to say. [ Arthur Oct 31, 2016 ]
Size [ Frank Oct 24, 2016 ]
Price [ Jonathan Oct 16, 2016 ]
"Pre-outs." Sound quality. I bought this unit to use as a preamp in a 2 channel system. [ mark Oct 16, 2016 ]
Trust in Marantz brand and my previous experience. [ A Oct 14, 2016 ]
Excellent product, slim line. Had an older model and was impressed by equipment. [ Jon Sep 21, 2016 ]
recommended by my son [ Eva Sep 06, 2016 ]
It's low profile design and the brand. [ ANDREW ST Aug 28, 2016 ]
Just the right amount of receiver. So many receivers are loaded with features that are completely useless. This Marantz does the basics extremely well. [ Peter Aug 27, 2016 ]
Best "bang for the buck" for the equipment in my home. Good warranty as well. [ Eugene Jul 06, 2016 ]
I needed a slim line receiver that would fit in a 5" shelf. The reviews were all 5's. [ William Jun 27, 2016 ]
Previously purchased another Marantz receiver and was happy with the product. [ Jeff Jun 27, 2016 ]
Form Factor and Features. We don't need a lot of power. [ Stacy Jun 26, 2016 ]
I have a Marantz SR5007 that performs well and thought that the NR1504 will complement my Apple Airplay network nicely. [ John Jun 09, 2016 ]
I got HK speakers, I needed a receiver, after reading several reviews I chose it, [ Daniel Jun 04, 2016 ]
size [ James Apr 18, 2016 ]
Because it is good quality for the price... and price is important, too. By the way, your people are helpful, patient, and easy to work with (Adam and Rocky). Thanks Adam's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=39 Rocky's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=163 [ Dennis Apr 02, 2016 ]
Compact size and customer ratings. [ Glen Mar 17, 2016 ]
Marantz is one of few manufactures that allow you to manually control the EQ. I can tailor the sound to the way my ears hear vs the way a program does. [ James Feb 23, 2016 ]
Good reviews, small form factor, and desired functionality without unneeded features. [ H Feb 17, 2016 ]
Tons of great user reviews. [ David Feb 10, 2016 ]
Modern HD audio with Airplay and 5.1 surround. Fit my needs and budget. [ Drury Jan 16, 2016 ]
Quality [ J Dec 28, 2015 ]
Good overall replacement for my Onkyo. Smaller, reasonable price, good sound ratings. [ Sam Dec 11, 2015 ]
14 questions already asked
In short I don't know. I'd be surprised if the remote was Radio. However, I tried using the remote pointing away from the receiver at various angles and found that it still worked. But that's not very solid proof of anything. [ STEVE Jan 06, 2016 ]
I assume its IR because you have to point the remote directly at the receiver to change volume and other functions. [ ALLEN Jan 06, 2016 ]
It is IR from what I have experienced. It has good side to side range (180 degrees) and seems to work at 20-25 feet from the unit face on. I tried going beyond 180 degrees and into another room and it does not work with the unit. [ JAMES Jan 06, 2016 ]
never really ppaid attention to that ' Just aim the remote at the 1504 and thats it. [ MARTIN Jan 06, 2016 ]
LIn of sight [ CLEMANS A Jan 06, 2016 ]
The remote is IR on this receiver and it works awesome on my 5.1 surround system. [ CARMEN D. Jan 06, 2016 ]
IR [ John Jan 06, 2016 ]
the remote is ir. Line of sight. [ Keith Jan 06, 2016 ]
This receiver would certainly be a good match for those Polk speakers. [ Jeff Dec 17, 2015 ] Staff
It seems to be cool. And I have it in a closet, no problems so far. [ Debby Feb 13, 2017 ]
I couldn't answer the question definitively, that would be for an engineer to determine, but the unit is extensively ventilated on the top, so I would be hesitant to stack something on top of it. [ FREDRICK G Nov 12, 2015 ]
I have a cable box on top of mine and have no heat issues. [ SCOTT Nov 12, 2015 ]
No, it does not. I had it hooked up to the CAT 5 in my living room for a while, but then moved it. I had to buy this little WiFi receiver and hook it up to that via an Ethernet cable. The WiFi receiver was pretty cheap though. [ ERIC PAUL Oct 08, 2015 ]
No, but it can be connected to your WiFi network using a wired connection. [ CLEMANS A Oct 06, 2015 ]
Yes it has wifi built in so you can air play with apple device or link right to Spotify account etc., you must plug receiver by hdmi into tv to pull up the receivers menu though just so you know [ SCOTT Oct 06, 2015 ]
no [ MARTIN Oct 06, 2015 ]
No. You need an Sirius or XM receiver. [ Debby Feb 13, 2017 ]
If you have a SiriusXM account, this receiver can play from your account. [ PATRICK Jan 17, 2017 ]
No you can't [ BRAD Sep 21, 2015 ]
not a problem...both good quality..almost audiophile stuff. [ GILBERT Sep 25, 2015 ]
I'm happy with the NR1504 with Definitive Technology bookshelf speakers. [ LARRY Jul 20, 2015 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Greg Jul 20, 2015 ] Staff
In my opinion, it will drive the Bose Acoustimass 10s. Although I love the Bose speakers, they are not the most efficient and they love power - the more the better. I coupled this received with the JBL Cinema SB400. The sound is awesome. My wife loves that the sub-woofer is wireless (no wires all over the place). I love that I can couple my iPAD to the JBL through Bluetooth directly. I purchased both through Crutchfield. Hope this helps. [ William Jun 26, 2015 ]
IT should.power them with no problem. [ WILLIAM C Jun 26, 2015 ]
Easily. I am driving a pair of Polk tower speakers with twin 8 inch woofers, and they sound great. [ Gordon Jun 26, 2015 ]
It does. This is the way I did it and it sounds amazing [ JOSE Jun 26, 2015 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on selecting the best amp for your speakers I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences between the amp models and help you make the best choice for your system. [ Krissy Dec 03, 2014 ] Staff
3 answers I purchased recently a marantz nr1504 paired with Boston sound ware xs 5.1. While the 5.1 movies are sounding quite impressive,I am very upset with internet radio music and FM tuner Output.sound is very shallow.. neither the base is deep nor the string are any sweet.I have tried all sound modes. All modes appear to be more are less the same.can any one help me in improving the sound quality. Anyway to get better sound ? [ Lakshman Nov 25, 2014 ]
For my setup, I added the Definitive Technology Powered Sub Woofer. Here is the link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_735PSUB8W/Definitive-Technology-ProSub-800-White.html?tp=187 Once you add this, the sound comes alive like I believe you are seeking. [ KEVIN Aug 12, 2015 ]
Sorry but I can't help. The receiver was bought for a son as a gift. I have no experience using it. [ WILLIAM E Nov 26, 2014 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Jeff Nov 25, 2014 ] Staff
Yes. [ PATRICK Nov 12, 2014 ]
I am not familiar with the Polk speakers, but if you are not planning on extreme volume, it should be OK. [ WILLIAM C Nov 11, 2014 ]
Yes. It has the extra audio outputs. Pre-out (front) and output for a subwoofer. You won't regret it. [ MICHAEL R Sep 26, 2014 ]
I don't believe there is a bypass for the front sound stage. You can probably find a third party solution though. [ JOHN A Sep 26, 2014 ]
I don't know. Sorry. I wish I could have been more helpful. [ RON Sep 26, 2014 ]
I have Dish TV and I can listen to Pandora, Internet Radio, etc with the TV off, however, I must have the TV on to use as a monitor to get to what I want to listen to and then turn the TV off. [ RICHARD May 18, 2014 ]
yes but you will need to purchase an extra device such as apple tv that provides those services. [ BERNARD May 15, 2014 ]
Bernal, Thanks for your quick answer. [ John May 15, 2014 ]
Yes absolutely, no need to have the TV on. The receiver screen can be used to control it. But it 's much easier to use the Android or iOS remote app or even the web based interface via WiFi. [ BERNAL May 15, 2014 ]
Yes [ JOHN A May 15, 2014 ]
I don't think you'll have any trouble. I run mine with a 20 year old pair of Advent Heritage speakers that are similar (twin 8 inch towers, 600 watts) to your Klipsch speakers. It powers my Advents just fine. As for the Marantz NR1504 itself, I bought mine about a year ago and I'm very happy with it. [ RON Apr 04, 2014 ]
Klipsch are pretty efficient in my experience I don't have the rf-82ii but have a 100 watt receiver driving a couple Huge old loudspeakers. My current home theater speaker system is too power hungry for the nr-1504 so I upgraded to the 5007 which is ok. [ RICHARD Apr 04, 2014 ]
I can't say from personal experience, but it should be. There are other receivers in this price range with higher power ratings. [ PATRICK Apr 04, 2014 ]
This receiver will be a great match for the Polk TSx550T speakers. [ Jeff Dec 31, 2013 ] Staff