Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Reference Series stereo integrated amplifier
Item # 642PM15S2B | MFR # PM15S2B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz PM-15S2 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Pure, powerful sound that connects you to the heart of your music
This high-performance integrated amplifier from Marantz does what great amps are supposed to do. It delivers your music to your speakers or headphones without adding or subtracting anything. The emotions the artists meant to convey come through as intended, with all the power and subtlety captured in the recordings.
You get six unbalanced RCA inputs for hooking up your audio components, including a phono input for a turntable with a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge. High-quality WBT speaker binding posts ensure a solid connection for maximum power transfer to your speakers. This integrated amp makes a great choice for high-resolution music sources, like Super Audio CD and vinyl.
Great sound runs in the family
What's in the Box:
- PM-15S2 Integrated amplifier
- 70" Power cord
- Wireless remote control (RC001PM)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- User Guide (English/ French/ German/ Dutch/ Italian)
- Warranty information (USA and Canada)
- 90 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- 140 watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD
- Current Feedback amplification tracks music signals faster for more natural sound
- frequency response: 5-100,000 Hz (±3dB)
- signal-to-noise ratio: 89dB line, 86dB phono (MM), 75dB phono (MC)
- 6 RCA audio inputs (including phono input for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges)
- 1 RCA preamp output, 2 RCA record outputs
- precision WBT binding-post speaker connectors
- biamp/stereo switch lets you biamp your speakers using two PM-15S2's for even higher-fidelity sound
- full-size headphone output
- remote control
- detachable power cable
- black finish
- 17-3/8"W x 4-7/8"H x 18-7/8"D
- weight: 40.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz PM-15S2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||90|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||Not given|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||140|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||89|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||No|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||6|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
HDAM (High Definition Amplifier Module): Marantz uses HDAMs instead of standard op-amps, rendering a more dynamic sound and less susceptibility to radiated noise, heat, and vibration. For improved circuit stability and high-speed processing the PM-15S2's HDAM SA3s are mounted on the voltage-current conversion block.
Current Feedback Phono Equalizer: The phono equalizer in the PM-15S2 supports moving coil (MC) and moving magnet (MM) cartridges and maintains current feedback circuit at a constant level within the audible range; resulting in a smooth sound and less noise.
Input Buffer: An input buffer amplifier using the HDAM SA2 is mounted just after the CD input jacks to maximize CD and SACD sound quality.
Linear Control Volume: The volume control amplifier is a combination of the MAS6116 from MAS and the inverse NF-type current feedback amplifier. The amplifier section adopts a fully discrete design, combining the HDAM-SA3 and HDAM-SA2.
Power Transformer: A Toroidal power transformer is used in the PM-15S2 because it produces less vibration and magnetic leak than ordinary laminate design transformers. The transformer has a non-magnetic aluminum shielding case.
Floating Control Bus System: A Floating Control Bus System (FCBS) is a two way communication system that enables you to connect up to four PM-15S2s and control them simultaneously. This makes a number of applications possible, including bi-amplifying and multi-channel (surround sound, multi-channel SACD, etc) applications.
Bi-Amp Mode: You can connect the PM-15S2 in a bi-amp configuration and separately power the high frequency and low frequency drivers in a speaker. When two PM-15S2s are connected via the Floating Control Bus System (FCBS) in bi-amp mode, each works as a monaural integrated amplifier. The Operating Mode switch on the back panel should be set to Bi-Amp and the speaker must support bi-amp connections.
Display: The PM-15S2 has an LCD to display input source and volume level. Compared to other types of display panels, the LCD generates less drive noise and radiated noise, hence the effect on sound quality is minimal. The input source and volume level are displayed normally. The display and illumination can be turned off if desired.
P.Direct: The P.Direct feature uses just the PM-15S2's amplifier, bypassing the volume control and all other pre-amp features. There are dedicated P.Direct RCA inputs on the rear panel and the feature is turned on/off on the front panel, so the PM-15S2 can power one pair of speakers in two different systems, easily switching between them.
Remote Control: The RC001PM wireless remote will control the PM-15S2 and Marantz tuners, Super Audio CD players, CD players, and DVD players.
- Input Selector: rotary knob selects the input source for listening
- Display: turns the display and illumination lamp on and off. When off, the display lights up for approximately 2 seconds when the Volume knob or other control is operated.
- Tone: turns the bass and treble tone controls on and off
- Speakers: turns the speaker outputs on and off
- ATT: the attenuate button has three settings; -20 dB (factory setting), -40 dB, and -infinity (mute)
- P.Direct In: on/off; use the PM-15S2 as an amplifier
- Phono MC: switches the phono equalizer between moving coil and moving magnet settings
- Bass: rotary knob; +/-10 dB @ 50 Hz
- Treble: rotary knob; +/-10 dB @ 20 kHz
- Power: on/off
- Operating Mode Switch: set the operation of the amplifier to Stereo or Bi-Amp
- Speakers: the Left and Right speaker outputs are binding posts; not 5-way posts, but will accept single banana plugs, pin connectors, spade lugs up to 0.525" wide, and bare wire up to 10 gauge
- Line Inputs: stereo RCA input jacks for CD, Line 1, and Line 2
- Recorder: stereo RCA input and output jacks for Recorder 1 and Recorder 2
- Phono: stereo RCA jacks and phono ground screw; compatible with moving coil and moving magnet cartridges
- Pre Out: stereo RCA outputs for feeding a powered subwoofer or another amplifier
- P.Direct In: stereo RCA inputs for P.Direct mode
- Floating Control Bus System: 3.5mm mini-jack input and output
- Headphone: standard 1/4" headphone jack
- Power: 90 watts x 2 into an 8Ω load or 140 watts x 2 into a 4Ω load, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, both channels driven simultaneously
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.05% (both channels driven from 20 Hz to 20k Hz into an 8Ω load)
- Output band width: 5 Hz ~ 40 kHz (8Ω load, 0.05%)
- Frequency response: 5 Hz ~ 100 kHz (CD, 1W, 8Ω load)
- Damping factor: 100 (8Ω load, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Input sensitivity/Input impedance:
- Phono (MC): 270μV/100Ω
- Phono (MM): 2.7mV/47kΩ
- CD/Line: 240mV/20kΩ
- P.Direct: 1.7V/20kΩ
- Output voltage/impedance: 1.7V/220Ω
- Maximum allowed Phono input (1 kHz)
- MC: 15mV
- MM: 150mV
- RIAA deviation: ±0.5dB (20 Hz ~ 20 kHz)
- S/N (IHF-A, 1W, 8Ω load)
- Phono (MC): 75 dB (0.5mV input)
- Phono (MM): 86 dB (5mV input)
- CD/Line: 89 dB (500mV input)
- Tone control:
- Bass: ±10 dB @ 50Hz
- Treble: ±10 dB @ 20kHz
- Power requirement: AC 120V 60Hz
- Power consumption:
- UL60065: 220W
- EN60065 7th Ed: 220W
- Weight: 40.8 lbs (18.5 kg)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.