Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Marantz Reference SA15S2
Stereo SACD/CD player
Item # 642SA15S2B | MFR # SA15S2B
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz Reference SA15S2 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
If you're passionate about music, check out the Marantz SA-15S2. Marantz designed this Super Audio CD player for uncompromising, high-fidelity music reproduction, like their other Reference Series components. It combines the latest in circuit design, carefully selected internal components, and precision craftsmanship to deliver high-quality stereo sound that's sure to please even the most discerning listener.
Designed and built for the audio connoisseur
This player's hefty chassis and double-layered bottom plate create an incredibly stable platform for the disc tray, virtually eliminating vibrations that can interfere with the laser's tracking and ensuring reliable playback. A beefy, double-shielded toroidal power supply delivers a constant stream of clean current. The SA-15S2's low-noise LCD display emits no radiation into the audio signal path. The ear-pleasing end result is lively, true-to-life reproduction of all your favorite tunes.
A sophisticated digital-to-analog converter handles the fine detail contained on high-resolution SACDs. It can even help you rediscover some of the forgotten gems in your standard CD collection by revealing subtle nuances that you may never have noticed. The SA-15S2 can also play home-burned CDs and those loaded with MP3 and WMA files, so you'll enjoy clear, precise sound from every disc in your library.
Versatile connections for your hi-fi stereo system
This player's machined brass RCA stereo outputs are widely spaced so you can easily connect high-quality patch cords. You also get optical and coaxial digital outputs for CD playback. When using the analog connections, you can disable the digital outputs so there's no chance of stray emissions impacting the analog circuitry. The SA-15S2 also gives you an optical digital input, letting you take advantage of this player's high-end digital-to-analog converter with another digital source component, such as a DVD player or high-definition game console.
In addition to being a great-sounding player, the SA-15S2 looks great, too its smooth lines and sleek black finish make it an attractive addition to just about any system.
Outstanding in all respects. Even CD's made from original reel to reel recordings in the 50's and 60's sound better than before. SACD's are still the best!
John, Andalusia, AL
What's in the Box:
- Super Audio CD player
- Wireless remote (RC003SA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 5' Stereo RCA patch cord
- 35" Remote control cord (single RCA plug on each end)
- User Guide (English/ French/ German/ Dutch/ Spanish/ Italian)
- US warranty information
- Canadian warranty information
- stereo playback for SACDs, audio CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- Cirrus Logic multi-system (DSD/PCM) digital-to-analog converter
- high-precision disc mechanism
- HDAM® SA2 circuits resist noise, heat, and vibration for more dynamic audio
- selectable digital filters for fine-tuning sound
- digital out off mode for pure sound when using the analog outputs
- low-noise LCD display
- oversized toroidal power transformer with double-shielded case
- zero-impedance copper ground plate
- double-layered bottom plate
- aluminum front panel
- machined brass stereo RCA outputs
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for CD
- optical digital input for connecting external source components
- discrete, high-current headphone amp/output
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2-100,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- dynamic range: 112 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2-20,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 110 dB
- dynamic range: 100 dB
- remote control
- detachable power cord
- weight: 29.8 lbs
- 17-5/16"W x 4-7/8"H x 18-5/16"D
- warranty: 3 years parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz Reference SA15S2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||2-100k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||112 dB|
|SACD THD||0.001 %|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
Disc Compatibility: The Marantz Reference Series SA-15S2 Super Audio CD player can play the following discs:
- Single layer Super Audio CDs: contains a single HD (high density) layer which can contain a high quality stereo area and a high quality multi-channel area; playable only on an SA-CD compatible unit such as the SA-15S2
- Dual layer Super Audio CDs: contains two HD layers for longer playing times; can also contain stereo and multi-channel areas; the data is recorded on one side only, so the discs do not have to be turned over; playable only on an SA-CD compatible unit
- Hybrid Layer Disc: contains a high density SA-CD layer and a conventional CD layer, allowing them to be played either on an SA-CD compatible unit or on a regular CD player
- Audio CD (CDDA): pre-recorded CD
- CD-R: recordable disc containing CDDA, MP3, or WMA files
- CD-RW: re-writable disc containing CDDA, MP3, or WMA files
- CD-ROM: recordable disc containing CDDA, MP3, or WMA files
Note: The SA-15S2 is a stereo-only player, and cannot play the high-quality multi-channel audio areas on single layer or dual layer SA-CDs.
Compressed Audio: The SA-15S2 will play MP3 and WMA files recorded on CD-R, CD-RW, and CD-ROM discs. Recordings must conform to the ISO 9660 Level 1/Level 2 file system and extended format (Joliet/Romeo). Multi-session recording and DRM are not supported. The sampling frequency must be 44.1 kHz and the bit rate between 32 kbps and 320 kbps for MP3 and between 48 kbps and 192 kbps for WMA, variable bit rate is not supported.
Super Audio CD: The Super Audio standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology. This direct-stream digital format comprises a 1-bit system that has a digital sampling frequency that is 64 times higher than that of a conventional audio CD (2,822,400 vs. 44,100). SA-CD produces a frequency response of over 100 kHz and a 120 dB dynamic range over the entire audible spectrum. Because of the way the inaudible frequencies mix with the audible frequencies, the sound that is heard is more natural.
Super Audio DAC: The SA-15S2 uses a high performance Cirrus Logic (CS4398) 192 kHz/24-bit Digital-to-Analog Converter for DSD (SA-CD) and PCM (CD) signal processing.DAC Mode: Using the optical digital input on the rear panel you can take advantage of the SA-15S2's DAC with a signal from another component; CD transport, MD recorder, etc. The input will accept PCM signals with sampling frequencies of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 96 kHz. In DAC Mode only the analog outputs are active.
HDAM (High Definition Amplifier Module): Marantz uses HDAMs instead of standard op-amps, rendering a more dynamic sound and less susceptibility to radiated noise, heat, and vibration. In addition to Marantz's proprietary HDAM-SA2 (Super Audio) signal transfer modules, audio path circuits boast custom-selected, and in some cases, custom-made internal components chosen for their combined contribution to overall signal quality.
Display: The display can be set to show current track elapsed time, current track remaining time, or the remaining time for entire disc. The display can also be turned off at the remote.
Remote Control: The supplied remote control (RC003SA) fully controls this unit, including some functions that can only be performed with the remote control. This aluminum-topped remote also has input selector, volume, and mute controls for Marantz pre-amps and integrated amplifiers.
Note: Four buttons on the remote are not functional on this unit: DC Filter, Noise Shaper, Phase Inverter, and External Clock.
Playback Options: The SA-15S2 provides the following options for disc playback:
- Direct Search: enter the track number on the remote control to play the desired track
- Track Skip: skip to the next or previous track or the beginning of the current track
- Forward/Reverse Search: search for a particular part of the current track, you can search forward or backward; no sound is output during forward or reverse search
- Repeat Play: repeat one track or the entire disc
- Random Play: play all tracks of the disc in random order
- Program Play: play tracks on a disc in a specific sequence; up to 24 tracks can be programmed; during programming the display shows the number of tracks in the program and the total playing time
- AMS: Automatic Music Search plays the first 10 seconds of each track on the disc; when you find the song you want to listen to press the AMS or play buttons for normal playback
Switchable Filter: The digital filter has two settings, asymmetric slow roll-off and asymmetric sharp roll-off, allowing you to select the one best suited to your environment and source material.
Sound Mode: When you play a hybrid Super Audio disc, you can specify which layer to play, CD or SA-CD. Using the Start Sound Mode setting you can also specify which layer plays by default.
Digital Outputs: Two digital outputs, one optical (Toslink) and one coaxial (RCA), are provided for sending signal to the digital input terminals of a receiver, outboard D/A converter, or CD recorder. Digital signals are output only during playback of a CD or the CD layer of a hybrid disc. No signal is output during playback of a Super Audio CD.
Headphone Output: The unit has a discrete high current headphone amp and a front panel 1/4" jack with rotary level control.
Remote Control: Two RCA jacks (one input and one output) are provided for connecting this player and another Marantz A/V component for system remote control purposes. The accompanying switch allows you to select the remote control mode; External (controlled by another component, front panel IR receiver is disabled) or Internal (this player is used as a standalone component).
Super Audio CD:
- Frequency Range: 2 Hz-100 kHz (2 Hz-50 kHz -3 dB)
- Dynamic Range: 112 dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 110 dB
- THD (1 kHz): 0.0010%
- Analog Output Level: 2.4 volts RMS
- Frequency Range: 2 Hz-20 kHz (-0.15 dB)
- Dynamic Range: 100 dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio: 110 dB
- THD (1 kHz): 0.0015%
- Analog Output Level: 2.4 volts RMS
Weight: 29.8 pounds
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.