Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Stereo SACD/CD player/DAC
Item # 642SA8004 | MFR # SA8004
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz SA8004 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Yes, you can hear the difference!
Whoever said time flies when you're having fun must have been listening to a Marantz SA8004. That's because this player sounds so good, you'll forget where the time went as you happily rediscover your digital music collection. This versatile player delivers audiophile quality performance with high-resolution Super Audio CDs, standard audio CDs, and even the tunes stored on your iPod® or iPhone®.
Enjoy smooth, densely layered sound with outstanding stereo separation and spot-on imaging, thanks to Marantz's precision craftsmanship and carefully selected internal components. You'll hear subtle nuances and musical textures on your favorite recordings that you may have never even noticed.
Praise for the Marantz SA8004 from The Absolute Sound
"Tonally neutral, musically authoritative and natural, with just a hint of warmth, this two-channel SACD/ CD player is just about as seductive a component as you could want, especially at its price, which feels like a giveaway. The SA8004 is a music lover's dream for those who favor classical, traditional pop, jazz, folk, world, and any other music with voices and acoustic instruments. The 8004 also features limited music-server and Internet functions."
— The Absolute Sound 2013 Editors' Choice Awards: Disc Players under $2000
Top-notch quality inside and out
The SA8004's specially designed disc transport, double-layered bottom chassis, and reinforced front panel resist vibrations that can adversely affect sound. A hefty power supply delivers plenty of clean current for lively, low-noise playback. A high-end digital-to-analog converter (DAC) accurately reproduces audio tracks with stunning clarity and detail. The gold-plated, machined brass outputs help maintain sound quality by ensuring the best signal transfer to your stereo system, and are widely spaced so they won't cramp the connectors on high-quality interconnects.
Better sound from your iPod and computer
The SA8004 can also be used as a stand-alone DAC. Marantz outfitted it with two USB ports — a feature rarely seen on SACD/CD players. The front-panel port lets you plug in an iPod® or thumb drive, and take advantage of this player's high-end DAC for the best possible sound from your portable music library. Rear-panel USB, optical, and coaxial inputs accept digital audio signals from a PC or another digital music source, and output them as high-quality analog audio signals.
Crisp, full detail sound. Great tonal balance. Tested with various genre of music. All great sound - Exceptional sound when listening to acoustic recordings. Highly recommend to anyone with an ear for music.
FRANK R, Newport, Maine
What's in the Box:
- Super Audio CD player
- Wireless remote (RC004SA)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' AC power cord
- 38" RCA stereo patch cord
- 34" Remote control cable (one RCA plug on each end)
- User Guide (English/ French/ Spanish)
- USA Warranty information
- Canadian warranty information
- stereo playback for SACDs, CDs, CD-Rs & CD-RWs, and MP3 & WMA CDs
- front-panel USB input (type A) for USB flash drive, iPod®, or iPhone®
- rear-panel USB input (type B) for a computer (Windows and Mac compatible)
- coaxial and optical digital inputs for using player in digital-to-analog conversion (DAC) mode
- exclusive Marantz disc mechanism resists vibration for improved sound quality
- high-performance 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 digital-to-analog converter
- double-layered bottom chassis for vibration resistance
- double-shielded toroidal transformer for reduced electronic interference and vibration
- Marantz HDAM® (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module)-SA2 used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- aluminum/reinforced resin front panel for vibration resistance
- ELNA audiophile-grade film and electrolytic capacitors used in signal path for faster transients and better bass response
- detachable power cable
- optical and coaxial digital outputs for CD playback
- gold-plated, machined brass stereo analog outputs
- full-size headphone jack with volume control
- remote control input/output (for use with Marantz receivers and amps with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
- SACD specs:
- frequency response: 2Hz - 50kHz
- dynamic range: 110 dB
- CD specs:
- frequency response: 2Hz - 20kHz
- dynamic range: 100 dB
- 17-3/8"W x 4-5/16"H x 15-7/16"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz SA8004 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|CD Transport Only||No|
|Direct Track Access||Yes|
|Direct Disc Access||N/A|
|Display Color||Bluish white|
|Multiple CD Player Control||---|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|CD Frequency Response||2-20k Hz|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||110 dB|
|SACD Frequency Response||2-50k Hz|
|SACD Dynamic Range||110 dB|
|SACD THD||0.001 %|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
Disc Compatibility: The following discs are compatible:
- Single Layer Super Audio CDs: contain a single HD (high density) layer, which can contain a high quality stereo area and a high quality multi-channel area (only the stereo area is played by the SA8004); playable only on an SA-CD player
- Dual layer Super Audio CDs: contain two HD layers for longer playing times; the information is recorded on one side only, so the discs do not have to be turned over; playable only on an SA-CD player
- Hybrid Layer Disc: contain a high density SA-CD layer and a conventional CD layer, allowing them to be played either on an SA-CD or standard CD player
- Conventional Audio CDs: audio CDs containing music tracks only; CD-DA format
- CD-R/CD-RW: CD-R (Recordable) and CD-RW (ReWritable) discs containing standard CD-DA recordings, as well as WMA, and MP3 audio music files
Note: The SA8004 is a stereo-only player, and cannot play multi-channel audio areas.
Super Audio CD: The Super Audio standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology. This direct-stream digital format is a 1-bit system with a sampling frequency 64 times higher than a conventional audio CD (2,822,400 Hz vs. 44,100 Hz). SA-CD produces a frequency response of 2 Hz to 50 kHz and a 110 dB dynamic range. Because of the way inaudible and audible frequencies mix, the resulting sound is more natural.
Super Audio DAC: The SA8004 uses a high performance 192 kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4398 Digital-to-Analog Converter with a digital filter for exceptional signal processing.
HDAM (High Definition Amplifier Module) SA2: Marantz uses HDAMs instead of standard op-amps, rendering a more dynamic sound and less susceptibility to radiated noise, heat, and vibration. In addition to Marantz's proprietary HDAM-SA2 (Super Audio) signal transfer modules, audio path circuits boast custom-selected and, in some cases, custom-made internal components chosen for their combined contribution to overall signal quality.
Toroidal Transformer: The materials and manufacturing process of the transformer's ring-shaped core are designed to reduce vibration, while the short-ring attached to the perimeter of the transformer reduces magnetic leakage flux.
Large Block Capacitor: A large capacity 3300 μF block capacitor, selected for its acoustic characteristics, is incorporated into the power supply circuit.
Audiophile Grade Capacitors: The SA8004 features the same audiophile-grade film capacitors and electrolytic capacitors used in top-range modes.
Digital Outputs: Two digital outputs, one optical (Toslink) and one coaxial (RCA), are provided for sending the audio signal to the digital input terminals of a receiver or digital recorder. No signal is output from either during playback of the HD layer of a Super Audio CD; digital signals are output when playing a CD, the CD layer of a Hybrid SA-CD, or any device connected to one of the digital inputs.
Digital Inputs: Optical, coaxial, and USB digital inputs allow you to use the internal D/A converter with an external digital source. Only PCM signals are compatible with the optical and coaxial inputs.
Analog Output: The player features a Stereo RCA analog output connection.
Headphone Output: The unit has a front panel 1/4" headphone jack with level control.
USB Port: This unit has USB ports on the front and rear panels. The front panel port is designed for USB memory devices (thumb drive, hard drive, etc) or direct iPod connection. The rear port is designed to connect a computer, with the SA8004 acting as the D/A converter, routing all sound to your connected audio system. The front panel USB port is compatible with FAT16 and FAT32 file systems and will play MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV files. The SA8004 can support up to 700 folders and 65,535 files per folder. The front-panel controls and supplied wireless remote control will operate your USB device or iPod.
Built-In iPod Control: You can connect your iPod or iPhone to the front panel USB port using the USB/Dock cable supplied with your iPod (not included with this unit). Playback can be controlled using the front panel or remote buttons, or the iPod itself. Sound quality is maximized by using the USB connection along with the SA8004's D/A converter. The unit is Made for iPod and Made for iPhone compliant and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Sept. 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. The SA8004 will not charge an iPod when playing a disc.
IR Remote: The supplied RC004SA IR wireless remote control is a full-feature remote control for the SA8004. It also has mute, volume, and input controls for a compatible Marantz receiver or amplifier.
Remote Input/Output: Two RCA jacks (1 in and 1 out) are provided for connecting this player and another Marantz A/V component for system remote control purposes. The accompanying switch allows you to select the remote control mode you desire: External (when the player is connected to another component's remote control jacks) or Internal (when the player is used as a standalone component).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.