Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
THX Select2 home theater receiver with HDMI switching and conversion
Item # 642SR7002 | MFR # SR7002
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz SR7002 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The SR7002 combines legendary Marantz performance and advanced processing to deliver powerful, pristine, and detailed sound. This receiver also boasts Lucasfilm Ltd's THX Select2 certification for home theater excellence you'll experience thrilling, high-impact surround sound for all of your movies, music, TV shows, and video games. And it features decoding for the latest surround sound formats, including Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio two of the high-resolution formats found on many Blu-ray players and discs.
Flexible video connections
The SR7002's 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you hook up four high-def sources for easy switching. Two HDMI outputs mean you can route high-def video signals to more than one HDTV or projector. Plus, analog-to-HDMI video conversion allows you to pass the video signals from all your components to your TV via a single-cable digital connection even older, non-HD sources. This simplifies hookup and ensures the best picture quality possible for every source in your system. For televisions without a digital input, component video conversion offers similar convenience and picture quality in the analog video realm.
Easy, accurate speaker setup
Marantz also includes Audyssey MultEQ®, a sophisticated auto-calibration system that helps you get the most accurate home theater sound possible. The SR7002 uses the supplied microphone to analyze sound from up to six different listening positions, then automatically adjusts level, equalization, and delay settings for each of your speakers. The result is accurate response across a wide listening area instead of just a single "sweet spot," so everyone in the room can enjoy precisely balanced home theater sound.
Multi-room music and more
This receiver's flexible two-room/two-source output lets you enjoy a surround sound movie in your main room while a housemate listens to stereo music or watches a different video source in another room. The backlit multibrand learning remote makes it easy to control all of the components in your system, even in the dark. You can integrate your iPod® by adding Marantz's handy control dock, or enjoy your favorite XM Satellite Radio channels using an optional XM tuner kit .
What's in the Box:
- AV surround receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- RC8001SR Learning remote control
- RC101 Remote control
- 5 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey microphone with attached 24' cord terminated by a male 3.5mm minijack connector
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- 75-300 ohm converter adapter
- Plastic front-panel input cover
- User Guide (English/French/Spanish)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- 110 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD
- THX® Surround EX, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ six-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- XM Satellite Radio Ready with decoding for XM's HD Surround channels (requires XM subscription and optional XM tuner kit)
- iPod® integration (requires optional Marantz iPod dock)
- M-DAX (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound with compressed music sources
- two-room/two-source output:
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd room stereo output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- composite video output for 2nd room
- Pure Direct modes switch off all unused circuitry for the cleanest possible sound
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
- 192kHz/24-bit digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- HDCD decoder
- Dolby® Headphone listening mode
- backlit learning/multibrand LCD remote
- backlit multibrand second room remote (requires remote control extender system, not included)
- 17-5/16"W x 7-1/4"H x 16-15/16"D
- weight: 33 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (4 in, 2 out)
- analog-to-HDMI video conversion (with 480i to 480p deinterlacing)
- HDMI version 1.3a with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, SACD, and auto lip-sync
- component video switching (4 in, 2 out)
- component video conversion (composite to S-video, or composite and S-video to component)
- digital audio inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 3 coaxial
- digital audio outputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 7 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite and S-video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite and S-video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp output
- RS-232C port for automated control systems
- direct IR flasher input
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- back surround speaker channels re-assignable for bi-amping front left and right speakers
Features and Specs
Amplifier Section: The Marantz SR7002 A/V Surround Receiver features a 110 watts x 7-channel all discrete amplifier with current feedback amplification.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR7002 is equipped with a high-resolution 32-bit floating point Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder.
24-Bit, 192 kHz D/A Converters: The SR7002 uses 24-bit/192-kHz Digital-to-Analog converters for all channels. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Video Up/Down Conversion: The SR7002 can take an analog video input (composite, S-video, component) and up-convert it to HDMI so the video signal can be passed through the receiver's HDMI terminal to your television via a single HDMI cable. The SR7002 can also take any of the receiver's analog video inputs and up-convert or down-convert them to any of the unit's analog video monitor outputs (composite, S-video, component). The receiver's HDMI inputs cannot be down-converted.
I/P Convert: The video circuit of the receiver is equipped with an I/P conversion feature. When this feature is active, 480i analog video signals input from a playback device can be converted to 480p and progressively output to the component video or HDMI monitor out terminals on the SR7002.
Auto Lipsync Correction: Video signals may take longer to process than audio signals depending on the connected video equipment. When the unit is connected to A TV or Projector which supports Auto Lipsync Correction in HDMI 1.3, audio and video can be automatically synchronized using this function.
Multi-Room System: The SR7002's Multi-Room System mode allows the same source or different source to be heard in another roomsother than where the receiver is installed. The Marantz AV receiver features a Main Zone (Main) and a second Audio/Video Zone (Zone 2). The Main Zone contains 7.1-channel playback of your audio/video gear in your main entertainment room. The Audio/Video Zone 2 allows audio/video playback of another audio source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio output and composite video connections to a separate amplifier and display monitor. Video playback of the same source can also be seen in Zone A using the receiver's component video monitor 2 output connected to a separate video display. The SR7002 AV receiver also features a set of multi-room speaker outputs which can be assigned to Zone 2 so you can power a set of speakers in another room of your home without the use of a separate amplifier. You must turn off the Surround Back channels of the amplifier when using the receiver's multi-room speaker outputs, which will limit you to 5.1 channels in your main room.
Bi-Amp Connection: A bi-amp connection is possible with speakers that have two set of inputs by combining the Front A and Multi-Channel speaker connections. This allows you to drive the treble and bass units with separate channels amps, which enable better sound quality. The surround back channels of the amplifier will need to be turned off to bi-amp your front speakers.
AM/FM Tuner: The Marantz SR7002 features a built-in AM/FM tuner which can automatically or manually store up to 60 AM/FM presets that can be labeled and viewed in a channel list.
XM Ready: This unit is an XM Ready Receiver. You can receive XM Satellite Radio by connecting to the XM Mini-Tuner and Home Dock (package item number 700XMTUNPK, sold separately) and subscribing to XM Satellite Radio. XM Satellite Radio offers over 170 commercial-free channels of music, news, sports, comedy, talk, and entertainment to choose from--all in digital quality. During XM playback, you can display the channel number and name, category, artist name, and song title on the front panel.
Auto MultEQ Setup: This Audyssey MultEQ technology adapted by this receiver provides the best listening environment for multiple listeners. The Auto MultEQ Setup feature of the SR7002 measures sound characteristics of your speaker system and room where the receiver is used and automatically optimizes settings. To do this, the Auto Setup feature measures a test tone emitted by each channel in a maximum of 6 listening positions, using the supplied microphone. The measurement results are analyzed using an original algorithm and environmental settings are made to improve the sound characteristics of your listening area.
Manual Speaker Setup: If you prefer, you can manually setup up your speaker configurations. You can select the size and presence of each speaker, the distance of each speaker from your normal listening position, and the level of each speaker in your system.
Acoustic EQ: The A/V receiver features 5 Acoustic Equalizer modes to choose from.
- Audyssey: This mode adjust the frequency characteristics of all speakers so as to create the best listening environment for the sound characteristics of your listening area.
- Front: This mode matches the characteristic of each speaker to those of the front speakers.
- Flat: This mode flattens the frequency characteristics of all speakers. It is suited for playback of multi-channel music such as Dolby Digital and DTS.
- Preset: This mode independently adjusts the receiver's 9-band graphic equalizer (63Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1kHz, 2kHz, 4kHz, 8kHz, 16kHz) for each of the 7 channels.
- Off: The graphic equalizer is not use.
Bass & Treble: You can adjust the receiver's Bass and Treble independently to suit your listening tastes or room acoustics.
Surround Modes: The SR7002 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to b played. In addition to the receiver Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital, and DTS decoders, the Marantz SR7002 is also THX Select2 certified.
- Auto: When this mode is selected, the unit determines whether the digital input signal is Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, or PCM audio.
- Source Direct: In the Source Direct mode, the tone control circuit Acoustic EQ and bass management configuration are bypassed for full-range frequency response and the purist audio reproduction.
- Pure Direct: The Pure Direct mode further reduces sources of noise in addition to effect of the Source Direct mode, by blocking output from the video jacks and turning of the unit's display.
- Stereo: This mode bypasses all surround processing. In stereo program sources, the left and right channels play normally when PCM audio or analog stereo is input. With Dolby Digital and DTS sources, the 5.1 channels are converted to two channels stereo. 96kHz PCM source material can be played back in stereo mode.
- HDCD: When listening to HDCD recordings, you hear more dynamic range, a focused 3-D sound stage, and extremely natural vocal and musical timber.
- Dolby Headphone: This mode simulates the waveforms of the actual sounds heard from the speakers when listening to the receiver's audio through a connected pair of headphones.
- Dolby Virtual Speaker: Dolby Virtual Speaker technology use proprietary technology of Dolby Laboratories to create a virtual surround sound-field using only two speakers for the front channels, allowing the user to experience sound as if surround speakers were actually being used.
- Multi-channel Movie/Music: This mode is used to create a wider, deeper and more natural soundstage from two channel source material. This is done by feeding the left channel signal to both the left front and left surround speaker and the right channel signal to both the right front and right surround speakers. Additionally, the center channel reproduces a mix of the right and left channels.
- Circle Surround II (Cinema/Music/Mono): Circle Surround is
designed to enable multi-channel surround sound playback of no-encoded and
multi-channel encode material. Backward compatibility provides listeners
with up to 6.1 channels of surround performances from an entire collection
of music and film, including broadcast, video tape, and stereo recorded
music. Depending on source material , you can select Cinema, Music or Mono
mode. Circle Surround also offers the following parameter adjustments.
- TruBass: TruBass produced by your speakers is an octave below the actual physical capabilities of your speakers adding exciting, deep bass effects.
- SRS Dialog: This feature allows dialogue to easily be discerned from the surround audio effects.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo-
or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a
seamless, natural surround sound-field that immerses you in the
entertainment experience. Dolby Pro Logic IIx has 5 modes:
- Movie: This mode provides 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound from Dolby Surround, encodes stereo movie soundtracks.
- Music: The Pro LogicIIx-Music mode creates a rich and
enveloping ambience from stereo sources such as CDs. In this mode, the
SR7002 includes three controls to fine tune this sound-field.
- Panorama: Panorama wraps the sound of the front left and right speakers around you, for an exciting perspective.
- Dimension: This feature adjusts the sound-field either towards the front or towards the rear of your system. This can be useful to help achieve a more suitable balance from all the speaker with certain recordings.
- Center Width: The Center Width feature allows you to gradually spread the center channel sound into the front left and right speakers.
- Game: This mode restores the impact low-frequency surround effects by routing them to the system's subwoofer.
- 5.1ch + PLIIx Movie: This mode provides 7.1 cannels surround sound from 5.1 channel movie soundtracks.
- 5.1ch+ PLIIx Music: This mode provides 6.1 or 7.1 channel surround sound from 5.1 channel music soundtracks.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format.
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus is an improved Dolby Digital surround format that is compatible with up to 7.1-channels of discrete digital sound and also improves sound quality due to extra data bit rate performance.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a high definition audio technology, using lossless coding technology to faithfully reproduce the sound of the studio masters.
- DTS Digital Surround: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1 multi-channel formats: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1(6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound) and DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 (discrete 6.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding)
- DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music. You can also adjust the Center Gain to expand the sound image from the center channel.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is an improved version of the conventional DTS, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 signal formats that is compatible with sampling frequencies of 96 or 48 kHz and up to 7.1-channels of discrete digital sound. High data bit rate performance provides high quality sound.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format compatible with up to 96 kHz and up to 7.1-channels. The lossless audio coding technology faithfully reproduces the sound of the studio master.
- Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
- THX Select2 Cinema: THZ Select2 Cinema mode plays 5.1 movies using all 7.1 speaker give you the best possible movie watching experience. In this mode, ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) processing blends the surround L/R speakers and surround back speakers, providing the optimal mix of ambient and directional surround sound.
- THX Cinema: THX Cinema accurately translates the sound from the movie theater environment into the your home by correcting the tonal and spatial errors that occur. When the Home THX Cinema mode is selected on the SR7002, THX post-processing is automatically added after the Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital or DTS decoder.
- THX Surround EX: With the SR7002, Dolby Digital EX soundtracks further undergo Home THX Cinema processing to achieve a THX Surround EX system. This mode gives you more detailed imaging behind you, allowing for 360-degree surround sound effects.
- THX Music Mode: THX Music mode can be used for playing 5.1 multi-channel music sources. In this mode THX processing is applied to the surround channels to provide a wide and stable rear soundstage.
- THX Games Mode: Two channel stereo and multi channel, analog and digital signals are compatible with THX Games Mode. ASA is used to accurately place all game audio information, providing a full 360° playback environment. THX Games Mode is unique as it gives you a smooth transition of audio in all points of the surround field.
THX Select2 Certification: This unit has been built and tested to conform to the high standards of sound and build quality set by the THX Select2 Certification program. THX is the unique collaboration between Lucasfilm Ltd. and audio equipment manufacturers. THX Select2 certification provides a rigorous set of performance standards, along with proprietary surround sound post-processing technologies, designed to enhance the surround sound playback experience in the home theater. When the THX Select2 mode is on, the following THX post-processing is added:
- Re-Equalization: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack tends to be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home because film soundtracks are designed to be played back in large movie theaters using very different professional equipment. Re-Equalization restores the correct tonal balance for watching a movie soundtrack in a typical home environment.
- Timbre Matching: The human ear changes our perception of a sound depending on the direction from which the sound is coming. In a movie theater, there is an array of surround speakers so that the surround information is all around you. In a home theater only two or four surround speakers are used. The Timbre Matching feature filters the information going to the surround speakers so that they more closely match the tonal characteristics of the sound coming from the front speakers. This ensures seamless panning between the front and surround speakers.
- Adaptive Decorrelation: In a movie theater, a large number of surround speakers help create an enveloping surround sound experience, while in a home theater there are usually only two or four surround speakers. This can make the surround speakers sound like headphones that lack spaciousness. The surround sounds will also collapse into the closest speaker as you move away from the middle seating position. Adaptive Decorrelation slightly changes one surround channel's time and phase relationship with respect to the others. This expands the listening position and creates the same spacious surround experience as in a movie theater.
- ASA (Advanced Speaker Array): ASA is a proprietary THX technology which processes the sound fed to the two side and two back surround speakers to provide the optimal surround sound experience.
Surround Channel Level: The channel level can be independently set for Multi-Channel Stereo, CSII and other modes. You can adjust the Center level, Surround level and Surround Back level from -12 to +12 in 0.5 dB increments. The Subwoofer level can be adjusted from -18 to +12 in 0.5 dB increments.
LFE Level: This function selects the output level of the LFE signal included in the Dolby Digital signal or the DTS signal. You can select from 0 to -10 dB.
M-DAX: This function makes up for lost audio content in MP3 or AAC sources during playback.
Dialogue Normalization: Dialogue Normalization is a feature of Dolby Digital which is used to keep the programs at the same average listening level so the user does not have to change the volume control between Dolby Digital programs.
Night Mode: Useful at night or when loud noise is undesirable, this mode compresses the dynamic range, making it easier to hear quieter audio content without increasing the overall volume of your system. Night Mode is only effective for Dolby Digital content.
On-Screen Display: The receiver incorporates an on-screen menu system which makes various operations and menu selections visible on your connected television set.
Sleep Timer: The receiver offers a Sleep Timer which will automatically turn the unit off after 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110, or 120 minutes.
Front Panel Lock: You can lock all the controls on the front panel of the unit, accept for the Power button, to prevent anyone else from changing the settings on your receiver.
Memory Backup: This unit is equipped with a backup function to prevent memory data such as the preset memory from being erased.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote control is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a adjustable backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources and modes selected from the remote control. The remote control's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote is preset with a total of 12 types of remote codes including Marantz TV, DVD, VCR, DSS, Tuner, CD/CD-R, MD, Tape, Aux1, Aux2, and amp. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed. In addition, the remote control is capable of learning and storing codes used by other remote controls. You can use the remote control to program a series of button operations in sequence. A single button on the remote can be programmed to perform up to 20 steps in sequence. A total of 20 buttons on the remote can be programmed with macros.
Multi-Room Remote: This included remote control can be used in multi-room systems. Using this remote control, you can operate the SR7002 through optional infrared receiver or the infrared receptor of Marantz products in multiple rooms. This remote features illuminated buttons so it is easy to use in the dark. This remote is preset with a total of 12 types of remote codes including Marantz TV, DVD, VCR, DSS, Tuner 1, Tuner 2, CD/CD-R, MD, Tape, Aux1 and Aux2. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed. In addition, the remote control is capable of learning and storing codes used by other remote controls.
HDMI (version 1.3) Inputs/Outputs With Upconversion: This unit has 4 HDMI inputs and 2 HDMI outputs. The 4 HDMI inputs are assignable from the receiver's on-screen menu. The dual HDMI outputs cannot be used simultaneously. The SR7002 will convert composite video, S-video, and component video to HDMI.
Component Video Input/Outputs: This unit has 4 component video inputs to obtain the color information (Y, Cb, Cr) directly from the recorded DVD signal or other video component; and 2 component video outputs to output the video signal directly into the matrix decoder of your television. By sending the pure DVD component video signal directly, the DVD signal forgoes the extra processing that normally would degrade the image. the result is vastly increased image quality, with incredibly life like colors and crisp detail. The 2 component video outputs will display the same video signal.
Digital Inputs/Outputs: There are 3 coaxial digital inputs and 4 optical digital inputs (one on front). The inputs accept digital audio signals from a compact disc, LD, DVD or other digital source component. There is also 1 coaxial digital output and 1 optical digital output. The digital outputs can be connected to MD, recorders, CD recorders, DAT decks, or other similar components.
Preamp Outputs: The SR7002 features Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer preamp outputs to connect the receiver to external power amplifiers.
7.1 Channel Input: The SR7002 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
Speaker Terminals: The receiver has binding post speaker terminals for the front A, front B, center, surround, surround back, and multi-zone channels. The binding posts can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and single banana plugs. The terminals are spaced too far apart for dual banana plugs. The collar surrounding the binding post terminals prevent the use of spade connectors.
Front-Panel A/V Input: The receiver features a front-panel AV input which consists of a composite video, S-video, stereo RCA and optical digital jack.
Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the SR7002 from each of its zone from an external key-pad (sold separately)
DC Trigger Output: These two 3.5mm outputs allow you to connect external devices so they can be turned on by the SR7002.
Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the SR7002 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.