Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
9.2-channel home theater receiver with Apple® AirPlay®
Item # 642SR7008 | MFR # SR-7008
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Marantz SR7008 by Crutchfield's David Brown
Setting the standard for home theater excellence
If you demand superior performance from your home theater, then check out Marantz's flagship receiver — the SR7008. It can power up to 9 speakers and has connections for two powered subwoofers, bringing your entertainment to life with rich, robust sound. With connections for stacks of A/V source components, this workhorse will let you get the most out of all your viewing and listening choices. Networking and built-in Apple AirPlay offer a world of streaming music at your fingertips. Extend your movies and music far beyond the confines of your home theater with three-zone capability and three HDMI outputs. It's all packed into this powerful home theater hub and backed by decades of Marantz engineering and expertise.
Get connected with wireless streaming and AirPlay
Take advantage of cloud-based music services as well as your own digital music collection by connecting the SR7008 to your home network. This receiver has built-in support for free Internet radio stations, Pandora®, and subscription services like Spotify® and SiriusXM. If you have a Wi-Fi® router, then use Apple AirPlay compatibility for streaming music from an iPhone®, iPad®, or a computer running iTunes®. Access your entire digital music collection from the palm of your hand with your Apple® device. Or stream audio from any AirPlay-compatible app — like YouTube™ — to the SR7008 for playback over your home theater speakers. You can also stream music from PCs and select Android™ devices with DLNA-compatibility. AirPlay requires a wireless home network and a wired connection between the receiver and network.
Built on sound principles
When building audio/video components, Marantz pays careful attention to those little details that make the difference between good and superb performance. The proprietary Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) improves dynamic range and detail while minimizing noise to bring your music to life. A high-current power supply and direct mode further ensure you get the most out of your favorite tunes. High-quality 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters can decode the latest high-resolution formats — even FLAC, WAV, and Apple Lossless files streamed wirelessly. If you're streaming low-bitrate files like MP3s, Marantz's Dynamic Audio eXpander improves sound quality by adding more depth to these compressed formats.
The SR7008's easy setup wizard walks you through the initial connections and settings.
Flexible multi-room setup options
With the SR7008's "power amp assign" feature, you'll have lots of options for speaker setup tailored to your gear. Use all nine channels in your home theater for room-filling 9.2-channel surround sound with Audyssey DSX or DTS Neo:X processing. Or reassign the "surround back," "front height," or "front wide" channels to power stereo speakers in a second and third room while still enjoying 5.2-channel sound in your main zone. You can also reassign those additional channels to bi-amp your compatible front speakers for even more detailed audio performance. Dual-zone HDMI outputs lets you watch one movie in your main room while the kids watch a TV show in another room. A third HDMI output is perfect for home theater rooms with a projector and an HDTV.
Fine-tune your system with Audyssey
Worried about making all the right connections? Marantz walks you through the process with the SR7008's easy setup assistant. It guides you step by step through placing and connecting your speakers, hooking up source components, and optimizing all the settings so it all sounds great in your room. Plus, Audyssey's acclaimed speaker calibration system will automatically take measurements and make adjustments to tune your speakers to match your room. Just plug in the included setup microphone and let the receiver do the rest.
Download the free Marantz Remote app to control the SR7008 with your smartphone.
App control for Apple and Android
Once you're set up, be sure to download the free Marantz Remote app for your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet. It offers intuitive touchscreen control of the SR7008 and is the easiest way to operate many of its features and settings. Choose your source, adjust the volume, and even select music from your DLNA-compatible music server or computer.
This is one powerful receiver. The flip side is heat...give it room to breathe. Give yourself time to wrap your mind around the features and benefits. This is my second Marantz receiver and I'm pleased with the brand.
C. Davis, Peoria, AZ
What's in the Box:
- 9.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RC023SR)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Audyssey Setup Mic (ACM1HB)
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Owner's Manual CD-ROM (En/Fr/Sp)
- Getting Started guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- USA Warranty Information
- Canada Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions
- Sheet of adhesive labels
Power and Processing:
- 9-channel amplifier
- 125 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Pro Logic® IIz and DTS Neo:X
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion (up to 1080p and 4K)
- Audyssey Laboratories' MultEQ® XT32 and Sub EQ HT eight-point auto setup and room calibration system (microphone included)
- Audyssey LFC (low frequency containment) system limits the amount of bass that leaks into other rooms
- Audyssey DSX® processing for enhanced surround sound height or width effects using additional front speakers
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify, Pandora, and SiriusXM (subscription required for some services)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes
- plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- DLNA and Windows® 8 compatible for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- front-panel USB input gives you a direct digital connection for your iPod for improved sound quality
- add Bluetooth streaming capability with the Marantz wireless audio adapter
- three-room/three-source output
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources on two HDTVs simultaneously
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd and 3rd rooms (using powered 2nd- and 3rd room outputs allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- power amp assign function lets you use surround back, front height, and front wide speaker outputs for Zones 2 and 3, Front B speakers, or bi-amping compatible front speakers
- supports 2nd and 3rd zone output from digital sources
Audio Performance Features:
- 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converters for all channels
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM) offers improved dynamic range and detail while reducing noise
- current feedback circuit for accurate, natural sound at all volume levels
- Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander (M-DAX) improves sound quality of MP3s and other compressed digital music files
- high-current power transformer
- Pure Direct mode turns off unused circuitry for cleaner audio signals
- bi-amp capability with compatible front speakers by reassigning "surround back" channels
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 7 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out (includes one Zone 2 output)
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 4 in (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 out (includes one Zone 2 output)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- 6 analog stereo audio inputs (includes 1 front-panel input)
- 7.1-channel preamp inputs
- 11.2-channel preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- phono input for connecting a turntable
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives and portable music players
- Ethernet port for network connection
- outputs for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, Front Wide L/R)
- receiver can power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- RS-232C input for use with external controllers
- remote control input/output
- IR flasher input
- 12-volt trigger output
- full-sized headphone jack
- detachable power cable
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- This receiver is not HDCP 2.2-compliant and will not support copy-protected 4K video content.
- streams photos from a DLNA-compatible computer or portable device for display on your TV
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- InstaPrevue offers live picture-in-picture preview of connected HDMI sources
- Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- intuitive, full-color on-screen menu
- free downloadable Marantz Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- Video Select lets you listen to music (network, iPod/USB, HD Radio, or phono) while watching video from a different source
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-5/16"W x 7-1/4"H x 16-13/16"D
- weight: 30 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Marantz SR7008 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
9-Channel Discrete Amplifier: The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with a power amplifier that reproduces high-fidelity sound in surround mode with equal quality and power for all channels, true to the original sound. The power amplifier circuit adopts a discrete-circuit configuration that achieves high-quality surround sound reproduction. The nine channel amplifier is rated at 125 watts with 2 channels driven (20-20kHz, 8-ohms, 0.08% THD).
Amplifier Assignment: The Marantz SR7008 supports up to 9.2 channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, Front Wide L/R & Dual SW) for surround sound playback. The AV receiver also supports Front speaker bi-amplification and powered Zone 2/3. The AV receiver offers eleven pair of speaker inputs. By connecting all speakers in advance, audio playback can be automatically switched between the surround back, front height, and front wide speakers corresponding to the sound mode and input signals.
- 9.1ch (SB/FH/FW): Assigns all power amplifiers within the receiver for the Main Zone. In this configuration, up to 11 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, & Front Wide L/R) can be connected to the AV receiver for up to 9.1ch playback in the main zone. The receiver will automatically switch between the Surround Back (Dolby Digital/DTS), Front Height speaker (Dolby Pro Logic IIx) or Front Wide (Audyssey DSX) speakers based on the the source material you are listening to. You must use a separate amplifier to power Zone 2/3.
- 7.1ch (Bi-Amp): Assigns all amplifiers of the receiver to the Main Zone with the front speakers bi-amped. Up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R [Front Height]) can be connected to the AV receiver for up to 7.1ch playback in the main zone. The receiver will automatically switch between the Surround Back and Front Height speakers (cannot play both at same time). The Front Wide amplifier channels of the AV receiver are reassigned to bi-amp the front speakers. A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier. Front Wide speakers are not available. Zone 2/3 speakers must be powered by a separate amp.
- 7.1ch + Zone 2: The SR7008's nine amplifier channels can be configured as Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R (Front Height L/R), and Zone 2 for Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic IIx 7.1ch playback in the main zone and 2ch PCM playback in the second zone. The receiver will automatically switch between Surround Back and Front Height speakers (cannot play both at same time). Front Wide speakers are not available. A separate amp must be used to power speakers in Zone 3.
- 7.1ch + Front B: Assigns seven amplifier channels (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, & Surround Back L/R [Front Height]) of the receiver to the Main Zone for up to 7.1ch playback and two amplifier channels to power another pair of speakers, often called "Speaker B". The receiver will automatically switch between Surround Back and Front Height (cannot play both at same time). Front Wide speakers are not available. A separate amplifier must be used to power Zone 2/3.
- 5.1ch (Bi-Amp) + Zone 2: Up to seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, and Zone 2) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifiers of the AV receiver are assigned to bi-amp the front speakers, while the Front Height/Front Wide amplifier channels of the AV receiver are assigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 2. A separate amp must be used to power Zone 3. Surround Back, Front Height, and Front Wide speakers are not available.
- 5.1ch + Zone 2/3: Up to nine speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Zone 2, and Zone3) can be connected to the AV receiver. The Surround Back amplifiers of the AV receiver are assigned to amplify a pair of speakers in Zone 2, while the receiver's Front Height/Front Wide amplifiers are assigned to power a pair of speakers in Zone 3. Surround Back, Front Height, and Front Wide speakers are not available.
Exclusive HDAM & Current Feedback Technology : Incorporating technology derived from Marantz's Reference Series components, the SR7008 features Marantz's exclusive HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) system, which combines ultra fast slew rate and maximum dynamic range to deliver optimum sound quality with today's high resolution audio formats. The SR7008 also incorporates Current Feedback instead of the typical voltage feedback configuration. Current Feedback technology provides a wide closed-loop bandwidth and very high slew rate, delivering superior audio fidelity
High Current Power Supply: The Marantz SR7008 AV surround receiver employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback.
24-bit/192-kHz DACs w/ PLL Jitter Reducer: The Marantz SR7008 utilizes a 192 kHz/24 bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings. In addition, the SR7008 uses Marantz's Hybrid Phase Lock Loop Jitter Reducer to improve sound localization, reproducing a broad and natural soundstage.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder. The SR6007 is equipped with various surround modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source to be played. The receiver features Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoding; as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic II (x/z) audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby, Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6, DTS Neo:X
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Audyssey Technology: The Marantz SR7008 features a full package of Audyssey audio technologies for optimal sound quality. Audyssey Dynamic Volume offers real-time volume adjustment, while Audyssey DynamicEQ improves your system's surround effects during low volume levels. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 automatically sets speakers and subs to suit your room's listening environment and the speakers' characteristics. The SR7008 also features two Audyssey technologies (Sub EQ HT & LFC) designed to optimize bass performance. The AV receiver even offers Audyssey DSX which adds front speaker effects.
- Audyssey MultEQ XT32: Audyssey MultEQ XT32 technology
helps create an optimal acoustic profile for your home theater. Using the
included setup microphone, Audyssey MultEQ XT32 measures sound levels and
adjusts speaker configuration accordingly, making setup fast and easy. This
room acoustic measuring and correction system analyzes (via the included
microphone) the audio characteristics of your speaker system and your
listening environment at up to 8 measurement points and automatically
tailors the sound for top audio fidelity. You can set the Audyssey MultEQ XT
to one of the following modes.
- Audyssey: Optimizes the crossover point, output level, delay time, and equalization of all speakers based on speaker frequency response, speaker location, and room acoustics.
- Audyssey Bypass L/R: Optimizes all speakers except front left and right.
- Audyssey Flat: Optimizes frequency response of all speakers to flat.
- Manual: Adjusts the tonal quality for each speaker individually using the manual equalizer settings (63 Hz, 125 Hz, 250 Hz, 500 Hz, 1 kHz, 2 kHz, 4 kHz, 8 kHz, and 16 kHz); from -20 to +6 dB .
- Off: Turns equalizer off.
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT: Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual tailoring for each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, delivering the optimum combination of highest deep bass output and lowest distortion.
- Audyssey LFC: Audyssey LFC processing analyses and processes bass content on a continuous basis and custom tailors the sound via advanced psychoacoustic algorithms to deliver dynamic bass response within the listening room without annoying family members or neighbors in adjacent rooms.
- Dynamic EQ: Audio engineers mix music and movie soundtracks at reference levels much louder than typical home listening levels. At lower volumes the human ear perceives sound differently; voices change, bass dissipates, and the surround effect becomes less enveloping. Dynamic EQ adjusts the frequency response curve based on volume to maintain consistent bass output, octave-to-octave balance, and surround impact, resulting in rich sound at any volume. You can set the Dynamic EQ to 0, 5, 10, or 15 dB.
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume: Audyssey Dynamic Volume solves the problem of large variations in volume level between television programs, commercials, and between the soft and loud passages of movies. Dynamic Volume addresses the issue of commercials that are too loud and movie soundtracks with vast differences between soft and loud passages; the results are more intelligible dialogue, loud passages maintain impact, and soft whispers are heard clearly. When the volume level changes, Dynamic EQ also adjusts the frequency response to maintain sound quality. You can set the Dynamic Volume to Day (low), Evening (middle), Midnight (high), or off.
- Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion (DSX): Audyssey DSX adds front effect speakers to improve spatial sound reproduction. Starting with a 5.1 channel system, DSX adds front Wide and/or front Height channels for better sound staging (although both wide and height speakers can be added, only one pair is used at a time). DSX also applies Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the blend between the front and surround channels.
Surround Parameters: You can adjust the following surround mode parameters:
- Dolby Pro Logic II Music Settings: While listening in
the Dolby Pro Logic II Music format, there are three further enhancements
you can adjust:
- Panorama: Broadens the front stereo image to the surround speakers to provide a wraparound effect, especially effective when there is limited output from the surround channels, panorama can be turned on/off in the menu.
- Dimension: Allows you to move the sound field forward or backward.
- Center Width: Allows you to adjust the width of the center channel.
- Center Image: In the Neo:6 Music mode, the Center Image feature adjusts the output of the left and right channels relative to the center channel, allowing you to make the center channel more or less dominant as needed. This improves the image of the center channel, especially when the listener is off-center. Adjustment varies from 7 (nothing subtracted from the L/R channels) to 0 (L/R channel output is cut in half).
- Height Gain: Adjust the volume (Low/Mid/High) of the Front Height channels in Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
- Stage Height/Width: Adjust the sound stage width/height (+/-10dB) when using Front Height or Front Wide speaker in Audyssey DSX.
Stereo Modes: The Marantz SR7008 surround receiver also provides two-channel stereo and multi-channel stereo playback, as well a virtual surround from two stereo speakers.
- 2CH Stereo: This is the mode for playing in 2-channel stereo; bass and treble can be adjusted and sound is output from the front left and right speakers, along with a connected subwoofer.
- Multi-Channel Stereo: This mode lets you enjoy stereo sound from all speakers.
- Virtual Speaker: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or headphones.
Direct Modes: The Marantz SR7008 offers two Direct sound modes which offer high-quality sound by bypassing the receiver's DSP & video circuitry.
- Source Direct: In this mode the 2ch audio signal is played in its original form, without any surround or tone processing. Multichannel audio signal is played in its original form, without any tone processing.
- Pure Direct: This mode is for playback in higher sound quality than in Direct mode. The display and analog video circuitry are turned off to minimize the possibility of any noise being added to the signal.
Audio Enhancements: The Marantz SR7008 receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- M-DAX: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio) and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The M-DAX function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- HT-EQ: The tonal balance of a film soundtrack will be excessively bright and harsh when played back over audio equipment in the home. This is because film soundtracks were designed to be played back in large movie theater environments. Activating the receiver's HT-EQ feature when watching a film made from movie theaters corrects this and restores the correct tonal balance.
- Dynamic Range Compression (DRC): Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range. DRC works when playing program sources recorded in Dolby Digital or DTS.
- Tone Settings: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB. You can also fade the sound from front to rear, or vice-versa.
Level Adjustments: The SR7008 provides the following level adjustments.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
- Dialogue Level: You can adjust the output level (+/-12dB) to clarify the dialogue output from the center channel.
- Subwoofer Level: You can set the receiver's subwoofer output level (+/-12dB) independent from the other speaker levels and system's main volume.
Volume Settings: The SR7008 offers the following volume settings.
- Volume Scale: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB).
- Volume Limit: You can set a maximum volume level of 0dB (80), -10dB (70), or -20dB (60) to limit the receiver's total volume output.
- Turn-On Volume: You can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on (0, 1-98, -79 to +18dB, or Last)
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Marantz AV receiver offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Assignable Digital Inputs: The SR7008 features two optical digital (Toslink) inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. Each input can be assigned to any of the different input sources except Tuner.
- Phono Input: The Marantz SR7008 is fitted with a Phono input (MM), so you can connect your turntable and listen to your vinyl records with high-quality sound.
- 7.1 Channel Input: The SR7008 features a 7.1 Channel input (Front left, Front right, Center, Surround left, Surround right, Surround Back left, Surround Back right and Subwoofer) for connecting a DVD Audio player, Super Audio CD multi-channel player, or other component that has a multi-channel port so you can playback the audio with 5.1 channel or 7.1 channel surround sound. If you will not be using the 7.1 channel input with a multi-channel decoder, you can use the front and left inputs as an auxiliary input.
- 11.2ch Pre-Out: The A/V receiver features 11.2ch pre-outs (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Front Height L/R, and Front Wide L/R, and Dual Subs) for connection to external power amplifiers. The pre-outs are variable.
- Speaker Terminals w/ Color Labels: The receiver has binding-post terminals for all speaker connections. The binding-post terminals can accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single/dual). The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 8-ohm. The AV receiver comes with color labels to easily identify which channel a speaker cable should be connected to. Since the speaker cables have labels in the same colors as the connectors on the SR7008's rear panel, there's no longer any confusion about which terminals they should be connected to.
- Headphone Output: The receiver features a 1/4" stereo headphone jack on its front panel for connecting a pair of optional headphones. The unit's speakers will automatically be turned off when a set of headphones are connected.
7 HDMI Inputs/3 Outputs: With seven HDMI v1.4 inputs (6 rear/1 front), the Marantz SR7008 allows you to route multiple high-definition devices, such as your Blu-ray player and cable/satellite receiver, to your TV. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to up to three TVs with a HDMI cable (via its three HDMI outputs; two parallel and one discrete), reducing cable clutter. The two parallel HDMI outputs distribute the same video signal simultaneously to two separate displays. The discrete HDMI output allows you to play a different audio/video source in another zone. The HDMI inputs are assignable to different input sources. The AV receiver's HDMI connections are compatible with 3D signals, ARC, Deep Color, xvYCC technology, Auto LipSync, and HDMI control.The HDMI inputs/outputs support the 4K high-resolution video standard, allowing you to play 4K videos on compatible displays and projectors. The receiver supports both 4K (3840 x 2160) pass-through and 4K upscaling technologies.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass-Through allows the Marantz SR7008 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D Ready: With the advent of 3D media, it is important to own a receiver that recognizes 3D video signals. The SR7008 is able to pass through 3D signals from your Blu-ray player, ensuring that the 3D effect doesn't get lost in translation. It also recognizes signals from 3D television broadcasts. By connecting a 3D-compliant Blu-ray disc player and 3D-compliant TV to the SR7008, you will have a 3D home theater where you can enjoy high-definition sound and video on a level you've never experienced before.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The SR7008 also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- Auto LipSync: This feature automatically compensates for the timing shift between the audio and video of the receiver. If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Note: The AV receiver's HDMI jacks do not support the latest HDCP 2.2 copyright protection for 4K ultra-HD content, so it will not support 4K content from satellite/cable providers, online video services, and Blu-ray disc which are copyright protected with HDCP 2.2.
Analog Video Inputs: The receiver features four composite video inputs (3 rear/1 front) and 3 composite video outputs (Monitor/Rec-Out/Zone2); supports up to 480i. There are also three component video inputs (60MHz) and one component video monitor output (assignable to Zone 2); supports up to 1080p.
Analog-to-HDMI Conversion w/ Video Scaling (4K): The SR7008 is equipped with a flexible video switching system that converts incoming analog video signals to HDMI and scales them to a higher resolution, so only one video connection is required from the receiver to the TV. HDMI input video signals can also be scaled to a higher resolution. The scaled output resolution is set in the receiver's menu.
- Composite Video to HDMI: Composite video signals (480i only) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 108p, or 4K through the receiver's HDMI output.
- Component Video to HDMI: Component video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
- HDMI to HDMI: HDMI video signals (480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p/4K) can be scaled to 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, or 4k through the receiver's HDMI output.
Note: The receiver's HDMI Zone 2 output does not support analog-to-HDMI conversion, nor does it support HDMI-to-HDMI scaling.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
InstaPrevue: HDMI InstaPrevue Technology provides live video thumbnails of the available content on your devices connected to the receiver via HDMI 1 through 6 inputs (the HDMI 7 input does not support InstaPrevue). As a result, you can preview audio/video streams coming from up to 5 HDMI inputs previously assigned to input selectors on your HDMI connected TV, while enjoying viewing another source input.
Picture Mode: The receiver provides Picture Mode to adjust the picture quality for your viewing content and environment. You can select from Standard, Movie, Vivid, Streaming, Custom, or Off. The Custom mode lets you manually adjust Contrast, Brightness, Saturation, Hue, Noise Reduction, and Enhancer (sharpness).
Video Select Function: You can switch the video input source on the receiver while listening to a different audio signal.
Network Connection: The Marantz SR7008 is equipped with an Ethernet (RJ-45) port that lets you connect the receiver to your home network (LAN) and your broadband internet provider. When connected to your home network, the SR7008 lets you listen to Internet radio and a host of other online music sources from your broadband internet provider, as well as play audio files & display still images from your computer via its network connection (DLNA 1.5 certified). The SR7008 also supports AirPlay that lets you stream your music library from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes. This unit's RJ-45 Ethernet port supports 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX and requires an Ethernet (LAN) category 5 or higher cable, Router, Modem, and Internet connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
DLNA 1.5 Certified: The SR7008 is DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) 1.5 and Windows 7 compliant for audio and photo networking. This means it's easier for you to access and enjoy digital music and still-images (JPEG) stored on your Windows PC. You can use your PC to play high-bit rate music content through the A/V receiver and view still-images on your connected TV, or use the SR7008's remote control to browse music & photo files on your hard drive. The receiver also supports ID3-Tag (ver.2) and META tag information; so song title, artist name, and album name can be displayed the unit's front-panel display or on-screen menu. In addition the unit will display Album Art on a connected television. The Marantz SR7008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its wired network connection.
|Compatible Audio Formats||Sampling Frequencies||Bit rate||Extension|
|WMA (Windows Media Audio)||32/44.1/48 kHz||48-192 kbps||.wma|
|MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)||32/44.1/48 kHz||32-320 kbps||.mp3|
|MPEG-4 AAC||32/44.1/48 kHz||16-320 kbps||.aac/.m4a/.mp4|
|FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)||32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz||16/20/24-bit||.flac|
Note: Your computer must meet the following system requirements - Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service or Windows Media DRM10. Album Art is only displayed when using Windows Media Player (ver.11/12).
Online Services: The Marantz SR7008 lets you access Internet Radio, as well as other online music and photo services from your broadband Internet connection. Currently the SR7008 supports Internet Radio from vTuner, Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM; as well as the Flickr online photo sharing site (as of 3/19/2013). The Marantz receiver offers on-screen menu display and control over these web services.
|vTuner||The online vTuner service which offers easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. Internet Radio stations in MP3 (32-320kbps) and WMA (48-192kbps) format are supported. You can browse content by Genre, Location, Language, and Favorites. You can store up to 56 Internet Radio stations as presets. The unit will automatically save up to 20 of the most recently played stations.|
|Once the network audio player is registered with your Pandora account, you can listen to the automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create up to 100 personalized radio stations. You can sort tracks within these radio stations. You can skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. You can also thumbs-up/thumbs-down and bookmark tracks. In Pandora, you can search for the track name or artist name using "keyword" searches. When the search is complete, tracks that have a similar rhythm or sound are streamed.|
|Spotify||Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists. A Spotify Premium subscription is required.|
|SiriusXM||SiriusXM Internet Radio lets you listen to over 120 channels of commercial-free music, talk radio, news, sports, entertainment, and more.|
|Flickr||Flickr is an online photograph sharing service that started in 2004. You can use this unit to view photographs on a connected TV that have been made public by Flickr users. You will need to setup an Flickr account to download, upload, and view photographs.|
Favorites: You can add up to 100 items as "Favorites" from Internet Radio, online music services, and your media server for easier, quicker access.
HD Radio Tuner: In addition to receiving standard analog AM and FM broadcasts, the SR7008 features a built-in HD Radio tuner. HD Radio technology brings digital radio to conventional analog AM and FM radio stations, with improved sound quality, better reception, and new data services. HD Radio technology provides CD-quality sound for FM stations, and FM-quality sound for AM stations. In addition, FM HD Radio station can transmit multiple programs on the same frequency by using multicast channels. Text data display includes station name, song title, artist name, etc.
- Station Text: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles.
- Multicasting: Many HD Radio stations also offer more than one channel of programming. This service is called multicasting.
- Station Presets: You can store up to 56 radio stations presets (8 stations each in 7 separate banks) and name each preset with an 8 character ID.
- Direct Frequency Tuning: You can enter the receiving frequency directly to tune in a station, using the supplied IR remote control.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Web Control: You can control this A/V receiver from a web control screen on your Windows PC's web browser. The SR7008 and your PC must be connected to the same home network.
HEOS Multiroom Compatible: Thanks to the AV receiver's network and IP control capability, it can be integrated into a HEOS whole home audio system via the HEOS Link (sold separately) and the HEOS app for Apple iOS (7.0+) & Android OS (2.3+). The HEOS Link connects to the AV receiver's Zone 2 preouts and a set of stereo RCA inputs or optical digital input on the receiver. Now, you can send the receiver's Zone 2 audio to other HEOS speakers in different rooms of your home, as well as play back audio from other HEOS devices through the AV receiver. From the app on your mobile device, you'll be able to control the receiver along with other HEOS gear and listen to music throughout your home. The HEOS wireless multi-room sound system can support up to 32 HEOS products (sold separately) on a single wireless network.
- Music: You can select which source you want to listen to from the app. Choose from the receiver's Zone 2 audio, the Link's built-in online music services (like TuneIn, Pandora, Spotify Connect, iHeart Radio, SiriusXM, Rhapsody, Amazon Music or TIDAL, ), the music library on your mobile device), and more.
- Rooms: From the app on your Apple iOS or Android device, you can select which rooms you want playing. You can play the same music in multiple rooms by grouping rooms together, or you can listen to a different source in each room.
- Groups: You can join or group up to eight individual HEOS devices into a group that function as if they were a single speaker. The HEOS App is also flexible enough where you can create up to 16 Groups (2 HEOS products per Group).
- Party Mode: You can easily group eight rooms together into Party Mode by using a "pinch" gesture.
Note: The AV receiver only allows one IP connection for control. If the receiver is already being controlled by a 3rd party control system via IP, then the HEOS Link will not be able to control it.
Software Updates: Using the receiver's network/internet connection, you can check for and update the latest firmware from the online Marantz server. Visit Marantz's Owner's Circle for access to downloads to keep the Marantz receiver up-to-date. The tested Marantz SR7008 contained firmware version 5330-9136-7591 (as of 7/23/2013).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your Apple iOS (4.3+) device or from your iTunes (10.1+) library on your Windows PC or Mac computer to the AV receiver, over your home's wireless network connection. From your Apple iOS device you are able to stream stored music on your device, downloaded music apps, and music on your iCloud to the AV receiver. From your Windows or Mac you can stream your stored iTunes music library on your computer to the AV receiver; you can even download Apple's free Remote App onto your compatible iOS device to browse and control playback functions of the the music stored in your iTunes music library on your computer that is being streamed to the AV receiver. With AirPlay you also get to see song/artist information and album art via the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
Note: To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Marantz AV receiver is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) port and HDMI port for playback of audio and video files from select iPod, iPhone, or iPad devices.
- Audio Playback: The SR7008 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your iPod/iPhone/iPad by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Song/artist information and Album Art from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI.
- Video Playback: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (5th gen), iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad mini to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Use the Apple Composite AV cable (sold separately) for older video-capable iPod/iPhone/iPad devices w/ 30-pin connector. Video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Note: Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The SR7008 is "made for iPod/iPhone compatible" and supports the following iPod/iPhone models and functions via its front-panel USB port (as of 9/24/2013):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connector Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
USB Port: A USB memory device can be connected to the USB (type-A) port located on the front-panel, allowing you to play various music files and JPEG still-image files through the receiver. The USB memory device must be mass storage class (msc) or media transfer protocol (mtp) compliant, and be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 500 folders/5,000 files. In addition to music and still-image playback, the A/V receiver supports basic playback control, song/artist information display, and charging (5V/1A) of your connected USB mass storage class device. The Marantz SR7008 supports the following audio formats, sampling frequencies, and bit rates via its USB (type-A) connection.
Note: USB memory device will not work via a Hub. It is not possible to connect and use a computer via the unit's USB port using a USB cable.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit rate Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16-bit .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-320 kbps .aac/.m4a/.mp4 FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz 16/20/24-bit .flac ALAC 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz N/A .m4a
On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): With the on-screen graphical display that combines large clear text and colorful icons, plus the Marantz Setup Assistant, setup is both simple and quick, letting you easily make all necessary adjustments and settings to quickly and easily optimize the SR7008 for your particular speaker configuration and source equipment. When you control the sound volume, the volume level is displayed on the screen, and when you switch the input source, the name of the input source is displayed. The on-screen menu display can only be output to your TV via HDMI.
Note: The receiver's front-panel LCD window only displays source input and volume. You will need to connect this receiver up to your TV via HDMI to configure speaker, network, input, and system settings through the AV receiver's on-screen menu.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: Marantz's Multi-Zone/Multi-Source function lets you select different audio/video sources for listening and viewing in different locations of your home. The SR7008's Zone 2 offers audio/video playback, while Zone 3 offers audio only playback. This unit is also quipped with an HDMI Zone 2 output connector for transfer of audio/video from connected HDMI sources to Zone 2. The source can be the same for all zones, or you can enjoy 3 different sources in those zones if you prefer.
- Audio/Video Zone 2: Zone 2 allows stereo audio/video playback of another A/V source connected to the receiver in another room of your home via left/right RCA audio or speaker terminal output connections and composite or component video. To enjoy a video source in Zone 2, you must connect the same video connection to your second display monitor as connected to your receiver for that particular source (there is no video-conversion for Zone 2). Zone 2 features either a preamp-output or speaker terminal output so you can use this amp or a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the SR7008 to power speakers in a second room of your home, the main zone is restricted to 5.1-channel. When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the second room you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output. You can select tuner, analog audio/video, optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), USB/iPod, and Network/AirPlay sources for playback in Zone 2. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones.
- HDMI Zone 2: The SR7008 incorporates multi-zone HDMI audio/video distribution for Zone 2 with the inclusion of its HDMI matrix switching functionality. The receiver can send two different HDMI video feeds to two displays at the same time directly from the receiver. HDMI Zone 2 also supports 2ch PCM audio from the HDMI input source selected. The HDMI Zone 2 function is only compatible with the HDMI 1-6 input connectors. It is not compatible with the HDMI 7 input connector. The volume of HDMI Zone 2 will be controlled by your TV or additional receiver in Zone 2.
- Audio Only Zone 3: Zone 3 allows you to play a different stereo audio source connected to the receiver in a third room of your house. Zone 3 features either a preamp-output or speaker terminal output so you can use this amp or a separate amp to power speakers in another room. When using the SR7008 to power speakers in a second and third room of your home, the second and third zones are restricted to mono operation and the main zone is limited to 5.1 channels. When using the receiver's preamp output terminals for the 3rd Zone, you need an additional amplifier in that room to power those speakers; the main Zone of the receiver remains 7.1-channel. The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Marantz receiver using either configuration or from your add-on amplifier when using the line-output. You can select tuner, analog (audio only), optical/coaxial digital (2ch PCM only), USB/iPod, and Network/AirPlay sources for playback in Zone 3. You cannot select different AM/FM radio stations or different Network content for different zones. Zone 3 does not support any video sources.
- All Zone Stereo Function: The All Zone Stereo function allows you to enjoy the AV receiver's Main Zone audio source in Zone 2 simultaneously (regardless of input audio signal types; analog or digital). During the All Zone Stereo, 2ch playback is automatically selected for all zones and each zone will play at the same volume level. This is useful when you want to enjoy the same music at the same time in multiple rooms during a get together or party.
Source Rename/Delete: You can change the display name (up to 8 characters) of a selected input source. If an input isn't being used, you can delete it from the display so you don't have to scroll past it when you change sources.
Panel Lock: To prevent accidental operation of this unit, you can disable operation of the buttons on the front-panel.
Dual Backup Memory Function: This receiver stores its settings in a nonvolatile memory even when the main power supply is turned off. Using the Dual Backup Memory function, you can write settings information to another memory area to back up saved settings for recovery anytime as needed.
- Personal Memory Plus: This function sets the settings (input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, MultEQ, Dynamic EQ, audio delay, etc.) last selected for the individual input sources.
- Last Function Memory: This function stores the settings which were made before going into the standby mode. When the power is turned back on, the settings are restored.
Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (30 or 60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
Learning Remote: The provided IR wireless remote is a universal learning remote control. The remote features a adjustable backlit LCD window which displays information about the sources and modes selected from the remote control. The remote's buttons are also backlit with a press of a button. This remote control is preset with remote codes for Marantz AV components. The remote also contains codes for other manufactures which can be programmed.
HDMI Control: The Marantz SR7008 can control select external audio/video components connected via HDMI which support HDMI control. When you make an HDMI connection with a TV or player compatible with the SR7008's HDMI control function, you can perform the operations from the SR7008's remote control; Power off, Switching of audio output devices, Switching of audio input devices, Volume adjustment, and Playback functions.
Marantz Remote App: The Marantz Remote App lets you control the Marantz Network A/V receiver using your Apple iOS (4.3 or later) or Android device. This free Remote App lets you control the Marantz A/V receiver's basic functions (power, volume, input, surround modes) from your Apple iOS or Android device. The multi-zone control page of the Remote App lets you adjust power, volume and input selection for all zones from a single screen (when applicable). You can even navigate the A/V receiver's network and Internet content from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. For added convenience, there are eight customizable home screen short cut buttons that allow you to tailor the look and function of the Marantz Remote App to suit your needs.
Note: Download the free Marantz Remote App from the iTunes App Store for the iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (iOS 4.3 or later). Or, download the free Marantz Remote App from the Android Market for your compatible Android device (1.5-up). The AV receiver will need to be connected to the same network as your Apple iOS or Android device.
Remote Connections: The Marantz SR7008 is fitted with the following custom remote inputs/outputs.
- Remote In/Out: These RCA input/output connectors allow you to connect the SR7008 to a Marantz component equipped with remote control (RC-5) terminals.
- Flasher In: This 3.5mm input is used to control the SR7008 from an external key-pad (sold separately).
- DC Trigger Outputs: Dual DC trigger outputs (3.5mm) allow you to connect external devices so they can be turned on by the SR7008.
- RS-232C: The RS-232C port is to be used in conjunction with an external controller to control the operation of the unit by using an external device. The RS-232C port may also be used in the future to update the operating software of the unit so that it will be able to support new digital audio formats.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have always liked the sound qualite of Marantz, I found this to be a great deal. I'm not into the up to date must have technology I just like to have good quality sound, plus the 9 channels I can use are more than enough!! I have used this produce since I bough it and love it!! No complaints. [ Julio Sep 26, 2016 ]
was recommended by Tim [ florante Sep 16, 2016 ]
Good Price and Brand Name. [ J Sep 07, 2016 ]
Marantz has had a history of great products. Dolby Atmos is not important to me so I went with this one because of its features. [ Eileen Sep 06, 2016 ]
Need to drive nine speakers in three zones; Garrett worked several times with me to find the best solution for the best price. Garrett's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=213 [ Kevin Sep 05, 2016 ]
This is one of the best bargains around. If you can live without 4K capability, and I can, it an amazing deal. [ ken Sep 03, 2016 ]
I wanted preamp audio outputs, but didn't need balanced ones like pre-pros have. This was the only AVR that had them at decent price. [ Mace Sep 02, 2016 ]
right features [ Jeffrey Aug 29, 2016 ]
Best price for a 9.2 system. high ratings [ Damien Aug 23, 2016 ]
I already own one, and the price was right [ Craig Aug 21, 2016 ]
Price and quality. [ Harley Aug 17, 2016 ]
Very detailed spec info and helpful advisors on wide array of products [ Clyde Aug 17, 2016 ]
Independent Zone2 hdmi [ Kevin Aug 05, 2016 ]
I had a 3 zone setup and the features set for the price was perfect. [ Andrew Jul 21, 2016 ]
features, price. [ LESTER Jul 15, 2016 ]
PRICE FOR FEATURES [ BOB LINDSAY Jul 06, 2016 ]
Price quality specs [ JASON Jun 13, 2016 ]
features,musicality sound reviews [ carmen Jun 12, 2016 ]
Has the features I want. I particularly wanted phono input, which is frequently missing on new models of receivers. I didn't want to have to deal with a separate phono preamp. [ William May 28, 2016 ]
Great AVR at a great price $900 [ E May 20, 2016 ]
Inputs & Outputs + 3 Zones and 2nd Zone HDMI output [ ROBERT CARTER Apr 06, 2016 ]
Bang for the buck! I have never owned Marantz, I am anxious to give it a try. [ Bob Apr 01, 2016 ]
Marantz makes an excellent system and this system has all the bells and whistles that I wanted at an exception price [ Horace Mar 20, 2016 ]
I needed a receiver with RS232 controller capabilities and I also liked the idea of being able to control the device through my android phone. [ Jeremiah Mar 14, 2016 ]
I love Marantz so much. [ Charles Mar 10, 2016 ]
best value and great salesmen [ trevis Feb 27, 2016 ]
I have owned a number of Marantz products over the years. ALL have been stellar. This one replaces my Pioneer Elite SC-05 after the HDMI board threw in the towel. HDCP limits brought this units down to a price that was impossible to resist. Since my home theater has a relatively new 1080p projector, 4K won't be added to mix for a number of years. This made for a win win in my book. [ THOMAS S Feb 22, 2016 ]
sound quality [ Tom Feb 05, 2016 ]
Read your reviews [ Peter Feb 04, 2016 ]
Marantaz brand reputation, 4K upscaling, Apple Airply compatable. [ Adam Jan 15, 2016 ]
Appears to support all my a/v devices. [ Gregory Jan 14, 2016 ]
features [ Chris Jan 05, 2016 ]
Best combination of features, quality, and price. [ Theodore Dec 19, 2015 ]
HD radio, support for multiple zones. [ K Dec 17, 2015 ]
Marantz makes high end systems. I had SR7005 which got damaged. I needed a replacement system that fitted my budget. [ SURENDRA Dec 06, 2015 ]
18 questions already asked
This does not do Atmos. I believe you would have to go with the 7009 to do Atmos. [ TIM Aug 22, 2016 ]
No Atmos. [ Darrell Aug 22, 2016 ]
1 answer Regarding upscaling: Is there a preferred (favorite) receiver that does a good job upscaling VCR and laser disc outputs so they look good on my 60" Plasma at 1080P? I know I'm at the mercy of my source material (Magnavox LaserDisc player from 1992, composite outputs (red, white, yellow :-/ ) but I gotta believe there's good, and better HDMI upscaling depending on your budget, and the items you choose. Is a line doubler worth the trouble? [ Eric Apr 03, 2016 ]
Yes it is worth the trouble. And when you do some day plan on upgrading to 4K . It does up converts for you . But on another note DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE FIRMWARE UPDATE . IT IS CORUPTED IT WHIPPED MY HARD DRIVE CLEAN AND HAD TO GET A REPLACEMENT RECIEVER . Hope this helps you out ? [ KEITH F Apr 04, 2016 ]
2 answers Did anyone have the issue of the subwoofer level being seemingly way to low after the audessey set up? It put my sub at -4.0 db. At that level, i was hard pressed to hear anything coming out of the sub. I know I can go in and adjust it manually, but it seems like the level is so far off that maybe there is some other issue going on. The front speakers are Infinity P363, sub is SVS SB1000. [ Derek Mar 19, 2016 ]
audessey did the same for me. The level was so low that my subs wouldn't even wake up from standby mode. I manually raised the level and the end result is amazing. [ Alexander Mar 19, 2016 ]
I find that manually doing the level correction using a multimeter ball from RadioShack with a nice microphone is much better than using odyssey Enter an answer to this question. [ STEPHEN Mar 19, 2016 ]
I believe so im still getting used toit [ Louis Mar 12, 2016 ]
Yes you can. [ Ben Mar 12, 2016 ]
As I don't use zone 2 or 3, I cant help but would suggest contacting Marantz on their website. [ Donald Mar 12, 2016 ]
No, there is no second amplification for the center channel. [ Dustin Mar 08, 2016 ]
No, you would need to use the pre out to a separate amp and use 2channels of that amp. [ Gary Mar 08, 2016 ]
Hi Alexander, Unfortunately there is no option for Bi-Amping the center channel, only the Front Right and Left. You could still "Bi-Wire" the center channel by either using 2 separate speaker wires both connected to the center channel speaker connection and then one each connected to the separate terminals on your speaker or some cable companies make "Bi-Wire" speaker cables that you can purchase. Hope this helps. [ Robert Mar 08, 2016 ]
Hello, I honestly do not know, but you could potentially use other outputs such as the speakers for the 7.1 as your front 2 speakers and use something diff for your center channel. Not sure if this helps. [ RENE Mar 08, 2016 ]
I wouldn't bi-amp at all. I'm using this receiver as a preamp for my main room (5.1) and using the built-in amp for zones 2 and 3. Even with a much better amplifier than the built-in (Outlaw 5000), the engineers at Outlaw said the upper frequencies draw perhaps 30-50W max and no reason at all to bi-amp. And I'm assuming you are getting decent speakers with quality crossovers. If you are dropping $5k on speakers, I'd spend the extra $600 and go with a solution like this, or if you don't need the extra zone support (I do!), just get a Marantz pre-amp. The Marantz pre with audessey is AMAZING. acoustically tuned my room and used a calibrated mic with Room EQ wizard, and the response curve is amzingly FLAT and secondary harmonics were greater than 60 db... You won't be disappointed taking this approach. My speakers: Aperion verus grand. [ JOSHUA Mar 08, 2016 ]
No, you can't bi-amp the center. [ Angelo Mar 08, 2016 ]
No need for the mac. Just select the sr7008 from the AirPlay drop down menu in your iPad or iPhone. [ Alexander Feb 13, 2016 ]
I think you can stream from your iPad to the Marantz unit. I found a link at Apple support that indicates that this is possible. However, I am not allowed to past the link into this response. To find he article, Google "iPad and Airplay". [ Lawrence Feb 13, 2016 ]
Any Apple device has AirPlay. I use my iPad all the time. Swipe up on you screen to pull-up the menu (airplane mode, wifi, Bluetooth) there is also an AirPlay button. [ Clayton Bristol Feb 13, 2016 ]
I am sorry Tom - I can't answer this question because my system is not set up your way. I only have it playing in ONE room that is my loft where my SUHD TV is. I hope you get the answer you're looking for from Crutchfield's tech support or another customer. But on the positive note - I love this receiver - by far the best receiver we have ever owned. [ DOROTHY Feb 04, 2016 ]
2 answers Is it possible to manually and easily adjust the volume (balance) of individual speakers in the surround? (Like old fashion left/right balance controls, but more particularly for front to back.) That is, if I prefer the back speakers louder than standard can I set them to be louder? Similarly, might I be able to adjust the center channel at a different volume than standard for a particular disc/movie/etc? How easy would these changes be to make, if they can be made? [ robert Jan 05, 2016 ]
robert if you can't find the way to do this post another 'answer' or question and I'll look at it. Once you figure it out it's pretty straightforward? but the exact sequence to get there ...? I can't remember without doing it and writing it down. good luck! I know I set things up this way with my 'old' Denon 5.1 channel unit, and haven't let this new one do it's Audyssey cal, I just set things to 'equal level' manually in all 7.1 channels, so far so good. [ RIck Y. Jan 09, 2016 ]
Yes it is possible but I don't have the sequence at hand. Enter 'Setup' and I believe the 'speaker' menu. Somewhere there is a volume settings menu for each speaker in turn (you can set volume on one speaker at a time). There is white/pink noise that plays during this procedure, turn the overall volume down to something less than normal volume at first before starting. [ RIck Y. Jan 06, 2016 ]
2 answers I have this unit, but have been confused by a couple things: I have to get the volume up to about 40 to get any real sound of it, and 60 or higher to watch a movie... This seems strange that only half of the volume range is real? Also, if I run zone 2 HDMI, it passes the audio, but I really want it on an audio output (instead or also) to pump into a sound system for that zone. Anyone know how this works? [ Timothy Dec 31, 2015 ]
Hi Tim, you go into setting under speaker volume and adjust the factory setting this will fix your volume problem! If not call Marantz... [ MICHAEL Jan 01, 2016 ]
Regarding volume settings, I find I run the unit almost exactly at the settings you mentioned. The increase in listening level from 60 to 70 is dramatic and that is the range I am in for most movies (source is Oppo Blu-ray player). I almost never listen to anything at 80 or above. Experimented with favorite rock concerts at level 80. Results like being at concert in front row next to band's large speakers. Nearly unbearable. So I would not worry that you are running short of power. I cannot answer regarding zone 2 audio outputs. With this receiver, I use all 9 channels, running 7.1 speaker setup in main theater and bi-amping the front left and right main speakers. Results are fantastic. I have been an enthusiast since the 1960s. This is the sweetest, most balanced, powerful, lifelike sound I have ever owned. You have made a great choice with this receiver. [ LEO Dec 31, 2015 ]
Sorry - I do not know. [ PAUL Dec 01, 2015 ]
I'm sorry, I can't answer that question. I would have to turn everything else off to measure it. Not something I'm interested in doing at this time. Also, this is a high end unit, if you really need the answer then you probably need to buy a cheaper unit. Good luck. [ NORMAN S. Nov 30, 2015 ]
works great [ PAUL Dec 01, 2015 ]
yes, it controls on/off for each zone as well as the sources. I like it. [ PAUL Oct 17, 2015 ]
The app works well with the receiver. I have not had any issues with connectivity or operation; and it does control on/off. The app itself is fairly basic; but gets the job done. In addition, airplay also works well, and the receiver will turn on when selected from my iPad. [ Guest Oct 17, 2015 ]
Sorry unable to answer your question no cell service where I live. [ MICHAEL Oct 17, 2015 ]
I don't use the iPhone/iPad app so I can't answer your question, but the SR7008 works great. I use a universal remote to control it and all my other equipment. Good luck. [ NORMAN S. Oct 17, 2015 ]
It works really well as a remote control. It can control power (and input selection) for all three zones. For more advanced configuration, there's a built-in web server that also works pretty well. [ Jeffrey Oct 17, 2015 ]
5 answers What would you do? Just bought Audio Monitor Silver 6 fronts with center and rear. Im deciding which of these receivers to purchase. My questions are- For the 7008 i get a lot more than the 6009 except wireless. Is wireless / bluetooth really worth it? Cant i just buy the marantz wireless adaptor ($100) and make this wireless to be same as 6009 and can i just plug my phone into the 7008 and start streaming....? Also I read wireless is not 100% there yet, agreed? I can also add a pre amp to the 7008 and not the 6009, correct? I have a Pro-Jet turntabe, both recievers appear to have same phone specs, aggred? Is there any other reason to buy the 6009? Besides it runs cooler and has wireless? Just looking for guidance on what this group has to say if you were in my position. Thanks in advance! [ Greg Jul 30, 2015 ]
Hi Greg,I have the 6009, and I would agree that "Wireless is not 100% there." Specifically, mine seemed to lose connectivity to the network over wireless. This was most significant when the receiver was powered down. I would attempt to use the Mobile app (which is pretty sweet, but also not 100% there yet) to power up and use the receiver, and the app would only find the receiver on the network about 20% of the time. I ended up just hard wiring a connection into the network, now I never have issues connecting to it. [ Marcus Aug 04, 2015 ]
Hi Greg: The Marantz 6009 opened up a world of music that had been unavailable before. Hundreds of internet stations and my favorite, Pandora. I have vinyl, tape, cd, flash drive music, all of which I can play on this receiver. Wireless lets me into the next musical dimension. [ Scott Aug 01, 2015 ]
I would get the 7008 unless you are doing Atmos. The 7008 has better room correction,a little more power and is $300 cheaper. I wish I still had my 7008 but I paid $1599 which is to much but at $999 it is a very good receiver. [ TIM Jul 31, 2015 ]
if your phone is iPhone or Android or ipad consider features as remote control, conectivity also you can left your old tablet as an a touvh graphical remote you can install it to see the demo and decide [ Abel Ayala Jul 31, 2015 ]
I used the Apple Airport Express ($99) to connect my Marantz to my router. Quick, simple, and you can also use it to stream AirPlay as well. It also allows you to connect via fiber optic to the receiver as well. [ Dan Jul 31, 2015 ]
I do not know for sure. I do have mine going to a separate amplifier. But not a power speaker. Not sure what the input specs of that speaker are. [ PAUL Jul 13, 2015 ]
You might be able to do that with a powered speaker if the powered speaker has a means of setting the levels. Use standard interconnect cables of the appropriate length. [ JIM Jul 13, 2015 ]
The preamp outputs are RCA jacks. You can connect to another amp, or to a powered speaker such as a subwoofer. [ bdunham7 Jul 13, 2015 ]
There are standard RCA connectors on the rear, allowing for connection from the pre-amplifier output to either a powered speaker or an external power amplifier to drive speakers. Pre-amplifier outputs include all of the surround-sound connections (including height and width) as well as the two zone amplifier outputs. [ JOHN P Jul 13, 2015 ]
I have had this receiver running and for a while now and I really do like it. I haven't had a chance to check if there is a cooling fan - if there is it is quiet. I have it in a cabinet with mesh sides. Heat hasn't been a problem for me. [ PAUL May 13, 2015 ]
Now this is purely my experience, but I have not had any issues with this model getting overly hot despite not having any internal fan. Mine sits about 2 feet from a wall on a Sanus AV rack that is open on all four sides, which from a cooling standpoint is a luxury. I'm only using it for 5.1, two Definitive Technology ST-Ls, three Def Tech SM55s and an SVS PC-12 Plus, so I can't address how it would do with all the potential speakers running "full blast". I do push mine a bit, but also value my hearing and thus save the insane volumes for special occasions. There are any number of comments on the various sites out there (saw one in which the contributor said he/she is running SIX external fans behind it!) so search around a bit and I'm sure you'll see something that is a little more helpful that I'm being. Also, being no expert at this, I do highly recommend using the lowest gauge wire (meaning biggest) that'll fit in your speakers, and if you plan to run a sub woofer, use a high quality (which doesn't translate to very expensive) RCA cable. Sorry I can't be more exacting in my response. Best to you, and if you choose this model, I suspect you'll be quite happy with it. [ PAUL B May 08, 2015 ]
Hi Jonathan, The receiver does get warm but in my experience not enough to warrant a cooling fan. I've actually operated the receiver continually for hours with no significant temperature problems! Great receiver that functions well. Hope this info helps! Cheers, Mike [ MICHAEL May 07, 2015 ]
Hi. I tend to run two zones simultaneously for long periods of time and the top of the unit is warm to the touch but not at all too hot (ie u can leave your hand there without fear of being burned) about 110degF. I also have about 2 inches of clearance in the rack. There is no internal fan. I have used an external fan to keep it cool (at times) as I prefer to keep it cool to prolong its life but I wouldn't say its necessary; preference. I'd say that the heat generated is standard for a Class AB amplifier. Regards [ JOHN P May 07, 2015 ]
As far as I know, it doesn't run hot, but mine operates in a rack in the basement. It doesn't have or appear to need a cooling fan. [ Jeffrey May 07, 2015 ]
no [ Ben Mar 12, 2016 ]
No [ PAUL Dec 01, 2015 ]
This will depend on the type of set-up you are going to be doing. This receiver can support a powered zone 2 and 3 with 5.1 in the main listening area. You can find out more on the details tab under the section titled Amplifier Assignment. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_642SR7008/Marantz-SR7008.html?tp=179#details-tab [ Jeff May 09, 2014 ] Staff
ethernet [ PAUL Dec 01, 2015 ]
it only connects thru an ethernet cable [ SCOT Apr 24, 2014 ]
Unfortunately, this unit does not have wireless capabilities. [ CRAIG R Apr 21, 2014 ]
It requires an ethenet cable from your router, or a separate wireless receiver (part RX 101) that is sold separately. [ STEVEN L Apr 18, 2014 ]
Yes, this receiver connects to my wireless (WIFI) network also.. [ MICHAEL Apr 18, 2014 ]
Ethernet only. [ DARON Apr 18, 2014 ]
I used an Ethernet cable. Checking the manual I see that it does not have Wi-Fi built in, they recommend using a wireless LAN converter which will receive the wireless signal and convert it to Ethernet. I got this receiver at Christmas and really like it. it has a nice ipad app for control which works great. [ PAUL Apr 18, 2014 ]
Wired only. That said, it is possible to get an Access Point to connect it to if need be. Look for a wireless direct access point. I love this unit and highly recommend it! [ JIM Apr 17, 2014 ]
Ethernet cable only [ JOANNE B Apr 17, 2014 ]
This receiver connects to your network only through Ethernet. You can use a wireless bridge or network extender if you cannot connect directly to your router. [ STEVEN M Apr 17, 2014 ]
The correct answer to your question is yes. You can play music from certain sources, such as Pandora and then using the option button select a different source for video. So for example I put Pandora on then select either tv (for the game) or media player for my slide show. Works great!! [ PAUL Apr 18, 2014 ]
I cannot do this but there might be a way I have not discovered. [ David Jan 06, 2014 ]
You can, but you have to cheat. Buy one of those HDMI A/B switches. run switch output HDMI to the panel, cable box to input a on the switch, and the out to tv from receiver into input b on the A/B switch. toggle A/B switch to input a for silent viewing. [ BRIAN G Jan 03, 2014 ]
So, this is a Christmas present and I haven't set it up yet. However, that is my expectation. I have a Sony now that does that but it doesn't support HDMI on Zone 2. My understanding is that what you describe is what they mean by 'assignable'. To be honest, I have been reading the manual and I believe it will do it, but the instructions are a bit cryptic and I am not 100% certain. I hope to know for sure within a few days after Christmas. [ PAUL Dec 21, 2013 ]
3 answers Can you tell me whether or not this receiver passes both video and audio through the zone 2 HDMI output, or just video? I was told that it would strip the audio and the only way to get sound to the TV connected to zone 2 HDMI would be to run speaker wire from the receiver to a pair of speakers. [ Jim J Dec 14, 2013 ]
The unit passes video and audio to Zone 2 [ PAUL Apr 18, 2014 ]
Hi Jim J. I can confirm 100% that both video and audio are simultaneously played through zone 2 through the single HDMI cable. Regards, John [ JOHN P Dec 17, 2013 ]
I have no idea as I do not use the zone capability at all right now and will never use it for HDMI. [ JIM Dec 14, 2013 ]