Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
30" HDTV-ready XBR® LCD Wega TV
Item # 70030XB900 | MFR # 0
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony KLV-30XBR900 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Sony's ever-expanding variety of HDTV-ready TVs makes it easy to choose the size, shape, and display technology that will deliver the optimum viewing experience for your room and video sources.
The KLV-30XBR900 is Sony's finest flat-panel LCD TV. Its crystal-clear picture is due in part to Sony's proprietary panel drive electronics, which does an amazing job of eliminating the "motion trails" or ghosting you occasionally see on virtually all LCD panels.
This is a 2-piece system; the separate outboard "Media Receiver Unit" tuner/switcher holds the key to this TV's spectacular picture quality. It houses Sony's proprietary Wega Engine multi-step video processing system. Wega Engine combines the latest versions of several acclaimed picture-improving technologies with powerful "scaling" circuitry to maximize clarity and motion on this 30" progressive display:
- Composite Component Processor converts the incoming analog signal to a digital signal so that it can be processed. This new circuit has improved signal-to-noise ratio.
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction V1 upconverts NTSC (analog) signals to near-HD quality. This latest version of DRC is adjustable so you can fine-tune the amount of enhancement for each video source.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID-XU) is specially designed for "fixed-pixel" displays like LCD. MID-XU's primary job is to scale (convert) all incoming signals to match the panel's 1280 x 768-pixel resolution without degrading signal quality. It also provides unique picture-and-picture features like Twin View with scalable windows.
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing is a critical step for accurately displaying DVD and other film-based material. It eliminates picture artifacts created when 24-frame-per-second film is converted to 30-frame-per-second video the integrity of the original movie film frames is preserved.
The KLV-30XBR900's rectangular screen is perfect for widescreen material like DVDs and HDTV (a separate HDTV tuner is required to receive high-definition broadcasts). The wide assortment of inputs on the back panel of the Media Receiver Unit includes two HD-capable component video inputs, plus a digital DVI input for compatibility with new-generation satellite HDTV tuners like Sony's SAT-HD300. You'll also find composite and S-video connections for your other video gear. A single "umbilical cord" connects the Media Receiver Unit to the LCD panel, keeping the look of your installation simple and clean.
Thanks to Sony's elegant "floating glass" design, the KLV-30XBR900 is striking to look at even when it's turned off. The black stripe framing the screen gives images extra pop. The panel can be mounted on the supplied tabletop stand, or wall-mounted (wall brackets not included). The TV's sleek, metal-bodied remote control has an elegantly "right" look and feel.
This versatile "super-TV" also includes a Memory Stick® slot that lets you view digital photos in lifelike color and clarity. At your next party, pop in a Memory Stick and wow your guests with a slide show of that great vacation no need to connect a camera to the TV!
- LCD panel:
- HDTV monitor (compatible with HDTV/SDTV formats when connected to a separate HDTV tuner and displays all signals at 768p)
- 30" LCD panel (measured diagonally)
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- 1280 x 768 pixels
- progressive display (all pixels display at once)
- 170° viewing angle
- side-mounted stereo speakers
- 38-1/4"W x 20-11/16"H x 3-13/16"D
- 38-1/4"W x 23-7/16"H x 9-1/8"D (on tabletop stand)
- weight: 44 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
- 181-channel NTSC tuner
- Twin View 2-tuner picture-and-picture (split-screen)
- Wega Engine video processing
- Digital Reality Creation MultiFunction V1 (upconverts NTSC signals)
- CineMotion 3-2 pulldown processing
- MTS stereo reception
- 10 watts x 2
- SRS TruSurround for enhanced 2-speaker sound
- multibrand remote
- 6 A/V inputs, including:
- 3 composite video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 3 S-video (2 rear, 1 front)
- 2 rear-panel wide-bandwidth component video
(compatible with 1080i/720p/480p/480i signals)
- 1 rear-panel DVI HDTV input with HDCP copy protection
- 1 A/V output (composite video and S-video)
- 2 RF inputs for antenna/cable
- Memory Stick slot (JPEG playback)
- 16-15/16"W x 4-1/8"H x 15-3/16"D
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor
Media Receiver Unit:
Large Item Special Shipping: Because of its large size, the KLV-30XBR900 will be delivered and placed in any accessible room in your home. Delivery is available to physical addresses in the lower 48 states. (Sorry, no P.O. Boxes or freight forwarders.) Transit time is 5-7 business days once your order has been processed. In-home delivery is FREE for this model. Extra charges may apply for delivery after business hours or on a weekend, or if the TV must be carried up more than 5 flights of stairs.
Note: Free return shipping not available with this model.
What's in the Box:
- This system comes in two separate boxes (Display Unit box/Media Receiver Unit box):
- The Display Unit box contains:
- LDM-3000 Display unit with attached tabletop stand
- The Media Receiver Unit box contains:
- MBT-XBR900L Media receiver unit
- RM-927Y Wireless remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Two 8' AC power cords
- 9.5' Display interface cable (has a DVI-D connector and a proprietary 26-pin connector on each end)
- 8' Antenna cable
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (French)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Owner Registration Card
- US warranty sheet
- Canadian warranty card
- Correction sheet (Spanish/French)
- "Cable placement" sheet
- "Notice for handling the Memory Stick" sheet
Features and Specs
WEGA Engine: Sony's Proprietary WEGA Engine consists of 4 key technologies engineered and designed by Sony:
- Composite Component Processor: The Composite Component Processor converts the incoming analog signal into a digital signal so it can be processed. This new circuit has improved signal to noise ratio.
- Digital Reality Creation Multifunction V1: Unlike conventional line doublers, the DRC Multifunction feature replaces the signal's NTSC waveform with the near-HD equivalent, while doubling the number of vertical and horizontal lines. This results in four times the density for quality sources, such as DVD, satellite, and digital camcorders. The Video Menu allows you to select high-density, progressive, or CineMotion output. The DRC Palette option lets you customize the level of detail (Reality) and smoothness (Clarity) to create up to three custom palettes.
- Multi-Image Driver (MID-XU): This Multi-Image Driver is designed for fixed pixel devices. MID-XU is utilized in two ways. First, its primary job is to scale all incoming signals, SD or HD, to the configuration of the panel without degradation of signal quality. Second, the Multi-Image Driver provides unique picture-and-picture features once impossible for fixed pixel devices. Features like Twin View Picture-and-Picture with scalable windows and Favorite Channel Preview are possible.
- CineMotion 3/2 Pulldown Processing: This function provides an optimized display by automatically detecting film content and applying a reverse 3/2 pulldown process. Moving pictures will appear clearer and more natural-looking.
LCD Panel Driver IC: The LCD panel driver IC improves screen response time using proprietary Sony digital technology. By improving the response time in the middle luminance range, "afterimage" in motion pictures is significantly reduced, resulting in smoother movement of images on the screen.
HD Detailer Wideband Video Amplifier: All televisions have a video amplifier, the device that takes the original video source and "amplifies" it to deliver a useable signal to your television screen. The bandwidth rating of a video amplifier determines the amount of detail that can be displayed on a television. Sony's HD Detailer wideband video amplifier delivers great detail on even the finest images by getting the most out of high-bandwidth sources, such as the 1080i signal available from some set-top boxes and satellite feeds.
Native Resolution: The DVI-HDTV input will accept 1080i, 720p, and 480p, and will display them as 1280 x 768. The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p, and will display them as 1280 x 768. All other input signals will also be displayed as 1280 x 768.
Twin View: Using the Multi-Image Driver, Twin View allows you to watch two programs side-by-side with the ability to zoom in on one picture and listen to the program in the selected window. You can watch pictures from two different sources (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i) simultaneously.
Note: Only the left Twin View window can display 1080i, 720p, and 480p sources.
Favorite Channel Preview: This feature allows you to preview up to 8 favorite channels without leaving the current channel.
Freeze Function: This function allows you to temporarily capture a program's picture. The display switches to Twin View mode and displays the "frozen" picture on the right, while the current program continues on the left. This function only works in normal view mode; if you are in Twin View mode already, it will not work.
Picture Modes: You can select one of the following Picture modes:
- Vivid: enhances picture contrast and sharpness
- Standard: displays a standard picture for normal viewing environments
- Pro: displays a picture with minimum enhancements
- Mild: displays a natural, soft picture
Wide Screen Modes: You can select a default screen mode to use for 4:3 sources. While watching a channel, you can use the Wide Mode button to cycle through the wide screen modes. If the 4:3 Default is set to anything but Off, the wide screen mode setting changes only for the current channel. When you change channels, the wide mode is automatically replaced with the 4:3 Default setting. You can choose from the following screen wide screen mode options:
- Wide Zoom: select to enlarge the 4:3 size picture, while the upper and lower parts of the picture are condensed to fit the 16:9 screen
- Normal: returns the 4:3 picture to normal mode
- Full: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally only to fill the wide screen
- Zoom: enlarges the 4:3 picture horizontally and vertically to an equal aspect ratio that fills the 16:9 screen
Vertical Center: This feature allows you to move the position of the picture up and down in the window.
Vertical Size: This feature allows you to adjust the vertical size of the picture.
Audio Effect Modes: You can select one of the following audio Effect modes:
- TruSurround: adds a three-dimensional sound to stereo programs
- Simulated: adds a surround-like effect to mono-channel programs
Steady Sound: This feature stabilizes the volume level, preventing unwanted blasts of sound during commercials.
Sleep Timer: The sleep timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 15, 30, 45, 60 or 90 minutes.
Timers: This unit has two timers that can be set by day, time, duration, and channel.
Memory Stick Playback (JPEG): The media receiver has a front-panel Memory Stick slot to let you easily view your JPEG images. You can choose from an index of the images stored on the Memory Stick, or you can run a slideshow of those images. You can also customize the features of the slideshow by selecting the length of time that each image is displayed, toggling the display of file information, and rotating each image.
Note: The media receiver's Memory Stick viewer is compatible with Memory Sticks up to and including 128MB. It is not compatible with Memory Sticks that exceed 128MB.
Wall Mounting: You can mount this display on the wall using the optional SU-PW1 wall-mount bracket.
Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-programmed to operate this unit and a number of functions on other brands of A/V components, including VCRs, laserdisc players, DVD players, cable boxes, and satellite receivers.
System Connections: The display has a white DVI-D input and black proprietary 26-pin input and the media receiver has a white DVI-D output and black proprietary 26-pin output. The components are connected using the supplied display interface cable.
DVI-HDTV In: This input consists of stereo RCA jacks and a DVI-D terminal. The DVI-D terminal can accommodate a copy-protected digital connection (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. The DVI-D terminal is compliant with the EIA-861 standard and is not intended for use with personal computers.
Note: The DVI-HDTV input will accept 1080i, 720p, and 480p.
Component Video Inputs: The component video inputs will accept 1080i, 720p, 480i and 480p.
Monitor Out: The monitor output consists of stereo RCA jacks, an RCA composite video jack and an S-video jack. This output lets you record the program you are watching to a VCR.
Subwoofer Output: The subwoofer RCA jack allows you to add a powered subwoofer to this display.
- Display Unit with Stand: W=38.25", H=23.4375", D=9.125"
- Display Unit without Stand: W=38.25", H=20.6875", D=3.768"
- Media Receiver Unit: W=16.9375", H=4.109", D=15.1875"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.