Wireless amplifier with DTS Play-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Item # 714PWRGATE | MFR # 1063278
$499.99 Earn up to 500 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Klipsch PowerGate by Crutchfield's James Ralston
The Klipsch PowerGate is the centerpiece of a super-versatile stereo system.
Build a sweet stereo around this compact streaming amp
The Klipsch PowerGate is one of the most versatile pieces of stereo gear we've seen in a while. Calling it an "amplifier" feels too limiting — but it does have a solid 50 watts per channel to drive your favorite pair of speakers.
Into wireless streaming? You can play songs from your computer or from the internet. Bluetooth means you can stream right from your phone. Into vinyl? You can directly hook up a turntable and play it "locally" through your connected speakers or send that music wirelessly to compatible devices and speakers in other rooms.
Connections for digital audio gear
The PowerGate's built-in 24-bit/192kHz DAC (digital-to-analog converter) ensures accurate reproduction of your high-resolution digital files. You can connect your computer via the PowerGate's USB Type B audio input. The optical digital audio input lets you get clear, accurate sound from your Blu-ray, DVD or CD player.
The PowerGate has an RCA line-level input with a selectable phono preamp, plus an auxiliary 3.5mm input. That means you can connect a turntable, cassette deck, or portable music player — practically any audio source you can think of. If you want to add more bass to your system, a line-level subwoofer output lets you complement your stereo speakers with a powered subwoofer of your choice. Or plug your favorite headphones into the front-panel headphone jack.
Klipsch Stream and Play-Fi
The PowerGate was designed to be part of a Klipsch Stream multi-room audio network. Klipsch Stream uses your home Wi-Fi® network and DTS Play-Fi technology to stream music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC. The system's compatible with major music services, such as TIDAL, Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Amazon Music and iHeartRadio. And you can also enjoy SiriusXM if you have a subscription.
Build out your multi-room audio system with additional Klipsch Stream or even other brands of Play-Fi speakers and components. You can have speakers in different rooms playing the same thing, or each speaker playing from a different source. Setup and control are made simple with the free Klipsch Stream app downloaded to your smartphone or tablet.
- built-in Wi-Fi® for wireless music streaming when connected to a home network
- built-in Bluetooth® with apt-X® and AAC decoding, for streaming from a wide variety of sources
- 50 watts x 2 continuous into 8 ohms (at 1 kHz) at 0.04% THD
- Class D amplifier design
Klipsch Stream (DTS Play-Fi):
- allows the PowerGate to communicate with compatible Klipsch and other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- plays music stored on networked hard drives and computers
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- play the same music in multiple rooms simultaneously, or different songs in each room
- easy wireless setup from your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- can be controlled via Klipsch Stream app (free download from Apple App Store® and Google Play)
- left/right speaker terminals
- USB Type B audio input
- optical digital input
- stereo RCA input with selectable phono preamp
- 3.5mm auxiliary input
- RCA stereo line output
- line-level subwoofer output
- front-panel 3.5mm headphone output
- Ethernet in/out
- USB Type A input for software updates
- requires AC power (adapter included)
- 10"W x 2-1/2"H x 6"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless music amplifier
- 6' AC power cord
- 6.5' Stereo minijack cable
- 6' Optical digital cable
- 62" USB-B to USB-A cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Owner's Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Information
- "Welcome To The Klipsch Family" card
- Spotify brochure
- USB Driver note
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Wireless Music Amplifier: The Klipsch PowerGate wireless music amplifier allows you to add wireless music streaming to your favorite pair of bookshelf loudspeakers. The Klipsch PowerGate features a built-in stereo amplifier with digital signal processing for great sound at any volume level. The stereo amplifier can support a pair of 8Ω to 4Ω speakers.
- 8Ω: 50 watts x 2 channel (RMS) / 100 watts x 2 channel (Peak); <0.04% THD+N, 1kHz
- 6Ω: 75 watts x 2 channel (RMS) / 150 watts x 2 channel (Peak); <0.06% THD+N, 1kHz
- 4Ω: 100 watts x 2 channel (RMS) / 200 watts x 2 channel (Peak); <0.08% THD+N, 1kHz
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: The PowerGate wireless music adapter is part of the Klipsch Stream Wireless Multi-Room System which uses DTS Play-Fi technology to wirelessly distribute your music throughout your home. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Klipsch PowerGate wireless music amplifier uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment via DTS Play-Fi. The PowerGate connects to your home's network via a wireless (WiFi) or wired (Ethernet) connection). A dual-band "N" or better wireless router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. In addition to its Ethernet input to connect your router, there is also an Ethernet output for connection to your computer.
Supported Music Files: The Klipsch PowerGate wireless music adapter & DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The wireless music amplifier will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi device and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Klipsch Stream App: Download the free Klipsch Stream app onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device or Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device. From the app you can initially set up the Klipsch PowerGate wireless music adapter, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, music on your mobile device or computer, or connected analog & digital sources to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Network Audio Sources: From the Klipsch Stream app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device, you can listen to music from your mobile device, built-in online music services, and your computer's music library (via DLNA) through the Klipsch PowerGate.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the wireless music amplifier through the free Klipsch Stream App.
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- DLNA Servers: The Klipsch PowerGate is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Klipsch PowerGate features Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology so you can enjoy streaming online music services, internet radio, or music content stored on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer. Pairing your Bluetooth source device with the PowerGate is extremely easy; just press and hold the source button on the amplifier and select "Klipsch PowerGate" on your Bluetooth device.
- AAC & aptX Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the PowerGate offers support for AAC and aptX codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple & Android devices. By supporting AAC, the PowerGate offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. aptX audio coding technology provides even better sound quality with lossless, CD-quality streaming for compatible aptX-compatible smartphones, like many Android smartphones with OS 4.0+.
- Playback Control: Basic playback control (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included remote control. Advanced music browsing and song/artist info are still handled from your Bluetooth source device.
USB-B Input: The Klipsch PowerGate features a rear-panel USB (type-B) input for connecting your Windows PC or Mac computer/laptop. Through the PowerGate's USB-B connection, you are able to play music files (up to 24-bit/192kHz) stored on your Windows PC or Mac computer/laptop through the wireless music amplifier. Basic playback control (Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track) can be done from the included remote control. Advanced music browsing and song/artist info are still handled from your computer. You will need to install a dedicated USB driver from the Klipsch website onto your Windows PC or Mac computer before connection.
Note: There is also a USB-A port which is used for service, software, and firmware updates only.
Line/Phono & Aux Analog Inputs: In addition, the Klipsch PowerGate is equipped with a stereo RCA input that can used as a Line or Phono (MM) input. There is a switch on the back-panel that lets you select between line-level or the built-in phono (MM) preamp. Connect your CD player, Blu-ray player, Turntable, and other audio sources with an analog audio output. There is also a 3.5mm auxiliary input on the amplifier's rear-panel for connection of an analog audio source.
Optical Digital Input: The PowerGate's optical (toslink) digital input supports 2ch PCM audio signals (up to 24-bit/192kHz) from your Blu-ray, DVD, or CD player. The optical digital input does not support Dolby Digital or DTS.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Apple iOS & Android devices with the Klipsch Stream app installed.
- Select DTS Play-Fi online music services and internet radio.
- Music library from your Windows PC or Mac computer (via DLNA).
- USB-B Audio.
- Analog (RCA/Minijack) & Optical Digital inputs.
Alexa Compatible (future firmware update): The Klipsch Stream series of products will soon be able to support Amazon Alexa voice-commands allowing your to control your Klipsch Stream speakers, soundbars, and multiroom audio systems from any Alexa-enabled device, such as the Amazon Echo or Dot (sold separately). The Klipsch Stream series of products will require a free firmware update (available in 2018 - no exact ETA) through the Klipsch Stream app to enable functionality of Alexa voice control.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Klipsch PowerGate is outfitted with four binding post speaker terminals to connect a single pair of speakers. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Subwoofer & Analog Outputs: A mono-RCA output allows you to add a powered subwoofer to the system. Additionally, stereo RCA outputs allow you to turn audio out to an external power amp.
Headphone Output: The front-panel 1/8" (3.5mm) headphone jack allows you to connect a set of headphones for private listening. The amplifier's speaker outputs are muted when a set of headphones are connected.
Front-Panel & Remote Control: The PowerGate features integrated controls on the front-panel that allow you to easily select the source, pair your Bluetooth source device, adjust the volume, adjust the subwoofer volume, and mute the sound. An IR remote control is also included for wireless operation of these same functions, plus Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track functions for Bluetooth & USB audio.
Mounting Options: The Klipsch PowerGate can be placed horizontally on a flat surface such as a piece of AV furniture, stand, or shelf. Four rubber feet provide a non-slip, secure grip to the mounting surface.
Power Requirements: The included detachable 6' AC power cord must be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Perfect for outdoor living space with a powered amp to drive 2 speakers. [ Aaron Sep 01, 2017 ]