Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Klipsch Reference RC-500
Center channel speaker
Item # 714RC500B | MFR # 1015110
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Klipsch Reference RC-500 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Turn up the realism with your movie and TV show soundtracks
Treat yourself to engaging center channel realism with the Klipsch RC-500. This Special Limited Edition Reference speaker delivers natural-sounding dialogue and robust special effects. The included feet let you tilt the RC-500 up or down, so you can aim it precisely at your listening position whether you place it above your TV or on a shelf in your TV stand below.
Horn technology for "front row" sound
The RC-500 uses a horn-loaded tweeter. A flared opening in the enclosure projects high frequencies toward your listening area and prevents sound waves from simply spilling out in all directions. This horn design brings out details in all your movie soundtracks, while reducing reflections that can color the sound. The horn also improves dynamics, for crystal-clear reproduction of everything from the faintest whisper to the loudest on-screen explosion. This expanded dynamic range and the RC-500's high efficiency ensure everyone in the room enjoys powerful "front row" sound.
High-tech driver design
The RC-500 also uses a pair of Klipsch's light-yet-rigid Cerametallic™ woofers to produce smoother mids and tighter bass. The specially treated aluminum in the cones helps to dampen unwanted vibrations and reduce distortion, while an integrated dustcap gives them a cleaner look and adds stability. And the rigid, braced cabinet comes in a handsome black woodgrain vinyl finish.
wonderful center speaker for my home 5.1 set up, can really hear the dialog at low volume
gesss, Cape Girardeau, MO
What's in the Box:
- Center channel loudspeaker
- Detachable magnetic grille
- Rubber tipped bolt (w/ nut and washer attached)
- 6 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Card
- frequency response: 67-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- sensitivity: 96 dB
- power handling: up to 125 watts RMS (500 watts peak)
- Tractrix® horn with 1" titanium tweeter
- two 5-1/4" Cerametallic cone woofers
- bass-reflex design with front-firing ports for greater placement flexibility
- black ash woodgrain vinyl finish
- 20-1/2"W x 6-1/2"H x 10-7/8"D
- weight: 22.1 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Klipsch Reference RC-500 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||5-1/4|
|Connector Type||Binding Post|
|Frequency Response||67-23k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Tapered-Array Technology: The RC-500 center channel utilizes Klipsch's Tapered-Array Technology, a 2.5-way design that minimizes the acoustical interference between drivers that plagues most horizontal center-channel speakers. This technology allows both woofers to create intense bass, while only one works with the tweeter to produce the midrange. The result is a smooth, clear sound not just directly in front of the speaker, but off to the sides as well, where conventional center speakers often exaggerate or mask sounds.
- Tractrix Horn Tweeter: The RC-500 features an exclusive Tractrix Horn which provides a more genuine, lifelike sound. In addition, behind the horn lies a 1" titanium tweeter with a powerful neodymium magnet motor structure to provide a unique combination of precision, clarity and effortless dynamics. The Tractrix Horn delivers a 90°wide by 60° high dispersion pattern for a broader sound-stage.
- Cerametallic Woofer: The dual 5.25" woofers of the RC-500 center channel loudspeaker features Klipsch's distinctive, copper-colored Cerametallic material. Made with an anodized aluminum, this cone is strong and dent resistant. The anodizing process converts its inner and outer surfaces to ceramic. The outcome is a rigid cone with superb damping characteristics that will not flex or resonate at frequencies within the woofer's operating range The 5.25" woofers also employ a rubber surround for added durability.
Klipsch Horn Technology: Klipsch employs Horn Technology to deliver these four principles of great sound.
- High Efficiency: Klipsch speaker employs horn technology because the horn shape is perfect for accurate and dynamic sound transmission. Greater efficiency means lower distortion, which means maximum realism.
- Dynamic Range: Klipsch horn technology reproduces the softest sounds with remarkable clarity and detail and the loudest sounds with no harshness or distortion.
- Controlled Directivity: Unique Klipsch horn technology means speakers that more accurately direct sound and offer a more lifelike soundstage.
- Flat Frequency Response: Klipsch horn technology delivers exactly the sound the artist intended, with no unnatural highs, mids, or lows.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The dual 5.25" Cerametallic cone woofers and 1" titanium diaphragm compression driver are mounted in a bass reflex enclosure which features two front-firing ports. The twin front-firing ports eliminate turbulence noise, while increased baffle ribbing around the horn mouth dramatically improves acoustics across the sonic range. The bass reflex enclosure features a MDF cabinet finished with a Black Ash wood-grain vinyl and an aluminum front baffle. The RC-500's rigid cabinet offers improved internal cross-bracing to minimize panel vibrations that can color sound.
Magnetic Grille: The center channel loudspeaker features a removable magnetic grille which easily snaps into place over its cast-aluminum front baffle. The speaker can be used with or without its grille in place.
Binding Posts: The Klipsch RC-500 is equipped with sturdy binding posts to ensure a secure connection to many types of cable and connectors. The binding post terminals will accept banana plugs (single only), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and bare wire (up to 10AWG).
Placement: The RC-500 should be centered directly above or below your video screen. If necessary, you can place the speaker on an optional floor stand in front of and below the screen that elevates it to the correct height. Ideally, however, the speaker's front baffle should be flush with the front of the screen.
Adjustable Angle: If the center speaker is well above or below the ear height of seated listeners, you can improve performance by angling the center channel slightly to compensate. Included with the speaker is an adjustable foot that you can screw into one of the two threaded inserts on the bottom of the cabinet. To tilt the speaker down, install the foot in the insert near the back of the cabinet; to tilt the speaker up, install the foot in the insert near the front of the cabinet. The center channel speaker also comes with six self-adhesive rubber feet to secure the speaker in place and prevent any damage to your stand's or shelf's surface. The rubber feet add approximately 0.3125" to the height of the speaker.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
2 questions already asked
The two sound very similar. However, they do feature slightly different tweeters, which creates a minor change in tonal quality. For the best voice matching it would be ideal to stick with the same line. [ Jeff Dec 16, 2013 ] Staff
How do this compare to the RC-52 II. I already have the RF-52 II towers and want to match to those. Would I be better off pairing this speaker (500) with them or the RC-52 II. Will it make a difference? [ Lance Dec 15, 2013 ]
This will depend slightly on whether you have the RF-62 or the RF-62II speakers. These speakers feature slightly different tweeters. The difference does create a minor change in tonal quality. For the best voice matching you would want to match the RC-500 with the RF62 and the RC-62II wth the RF-62II [ Jeff Dec 10, 2013 ] Staff