Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Peachtree Audio Shift
Portable headphone amplifier/USB DAC
Peachtree Audio Shift - Connect the Shift to your iPhone for better sound (phone and headphones not included)
Peachtree Audio Shift - USB type-A and mini type-B ports with included cables for PC, Apple, and Android devices
Item # 731SHIFTTL | MFR # Shift Tan Leather
Price Break: -$100.00
$199.99 Earn up to 200 Rewards points
Our take on the Peachtree Audio Shift by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The handsome, leather-covered Peachtree Audio Shift is a powerful on-the-go headphone amp (iPhone and headphones not included).
Add more punch to your portable
How great is it to just whip out your phone and start playing music through your headphones? Even our staunchest audio purists here at Crutchfield admit that it's pretty handy. The pocket-sized Peachtree Audio Shift lets you keep that convenience, but still experience all the punch and clarity that your tunes deserve.
Small, sturdy, and versatile
This compact-yet-solid headphone amp/digital-to analog converter (DAC) features an aluminum body covered with eye-catching leather on the top and bottom. It has digital connections for your computer, Apple®, or Android™ mobile devices. Its 3.5mm analog output can feed your headphones or even plug into a home stereo system. You can even borrow some juice from its built-in rechargeable battery to charge an attached iPhone® or iPod®.
A sonic upgrade for all my playlists
I plugged the Shift into my Samsung Galaxy S7's microUSB port and immediately got bigger, bolder sound from the Bower & Wilkins P9 headphones. Music sounded fuller and had greater punch and clarity. And I didn't need to change my listening habits. Spotify®, MP3s, SiriusXM, even YouTube® — any audio app from my phone played just fine.
Even the cable I needed was included — you'll find Android, iPhone, and PC cables in the box. The rubber grip on the bottom kept the Shift firmly in place on my desk. It also comes with a durable leather sleeve that can stretch to hold the Shift and your phone together in a portable bundle.
A high-res audio champ
Do you have high-resolution music? The Shift makes sure you'll hear them in all their glory. It decodes high-resolution PCM data streams of up to 32-bit/384kHz resolution, and DSD audio sources at 2.8MHz/5.6MHz. That means you can enjoy better-than-CD audio quality.
And the Shift can adapt to your best headphones, too. A gain switch on the side lets you adjust the output level to match your headphones, no matter how sensitive or efficient they are...even high-impedance headphones that you wouldn't dare plug directly into your phone.
Outstanding sound from your PC, too
The Shift will give your laptop or desktop computer's sound a big boost, too. Just plug it into a USB port on your PC to bypass the sound card inside your computer — a noisy environment prone to producing poor sound quality.
Exceptional bass sound. Very warm, deep and easy on the ears. Workmanship is first class. Highly recommend.
Anonymous, Buckeye, AZ
What's in the Box:
- USB DAC/Headphone Amp (Tan Leather)
- 6" Lightning-to-USB cable
- 6" Android OTG cable
- 39" miniUSB-to-USB cable
- Carrying case
- Instruction Booklet
- battery-powered portable headphone amplifier with built-in USB DAC
- works with your iPhone, Android phone, and/or PC
- Apple Lightning, Android micro-USB, and USB cables included
- rugged aluminum chassis wrapped in genuine leather
- includes custom leather carrying case that holds the Shift and a smartphone
High-current Headphone Amplifier:
- Class A analog preamplifier
- 3.5mm headphone/line-level output
- variable/fixed output switch for connecting headphones or hi-fi system
- gain select switch provides compatibility for a wide range of headphones and earphones
- 100-step analog volume control (digitally controlled using your mobile device or computer's volume control settings)
Built-in Digital-to-Analog Converter:
- ESS Sabre ES9010K2M digital-to-analog converter for high-quality sound
- supported sample rates: up to 32-bit/384kHz PCM; 2.8MHz (DSD64) and 5.6MHz (DSD128)
- two USB ports:
- mini type-B input for Android devices, computers, and charging
- standard type-A input for iPod®/iPhone®/iPad® devices equipped with Lightning connectors
- Windows® and Mac® computers supported (free USB driver download required for Windows® PC playback)
- asynchronous USB data transfer for reduced timing jitter and better sound
General Info and Specs:
- replaceable 4100mAH lithium-Ion rechargeable battery provides up to 8 hours of playback on a 4 hour charge
- can charge an attached Apple® mobile device using its on-board battery (charging function not supported for Android devices)
- frequency response: 8-20,000 Hz (±0.4dB), 8-70,000 Hz (±3dB)
- signal to noise ratio: 103dB
- maximum output voltage: 1.8 Vrms
- output impedance: 1 ohm
- 5"W x 7/8"H x 2-11/16"D
- weight: 6.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Peachtree Audio Shift Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Four Products In One: Peachtree Audio houses four products in one small and portable chassis with the Shift. It can be used as an external DAC, headphone amplifier, preamplifier, and USB charger.
- It employs a 32-bit/384kHz asynchronous DAC for high resolution processing of PCM & DSD from computers, smartphones, and tablets.
- Used as a headphone amplifier, it is capable of driving almost all high impedance and low efficiency headphones.
- The Shift can even be used as a preamp for connection to a Hi-Fi system with a 103dB signal-to-noise ratio at its output.
- Its internal rechargeable battery generates enough power for 7-8 hours of play time an doubles as a 5V/1A charger for your iOS device.
32-Bit/384kHz DAC: The Peachtree Shift employs a 32-bit/384kHz ESS SABRE32 DAC that will make your music sound great from lossy compressed files to lossless uncompressed files and everything else in-between. It is compatible with high-resolution music files all the way up to and including 32-bit/384kHz PCM and 5.6MHz Direct Stream Digital. Shift uses an asynchronous design featuring two internal clocks that minimize jitter from the source device at all sampling rates. Shift also includes an extensive power supply circuit design with multiple stages of regulation and ESS's patented Hyperstream Modulator and Minimum Phase filters to create natural, lifelike sound from all of your digital music files.
Compatible Audio Signals: The Peachtree Shift supports PCM (16-32bit/44.1-384kHz) & DSD (2.8/5.6MHz) audio signals.
- PCM: 16, 24 and 32-bit @ 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384kHz
- DSD: 2.8 and 5.6 MHz
Dual USB Ports: The Peachtree Audio Shift is equipped with a USB (type-A) port for select Apple iOS devices and a miniUSB (type-B) port for Windows PC, Mac computers, and select Android smartphone/tablets. The Shift is designed to completely bypass the DAC on your smartphone, tablet, or computer and provide exceptional sound quality.
- USB (type-A) Port: Use the Shift's USB (type-A) port to connect the following Apple iOS devices - iPhone touch (5th/6th gen), iPhone SE, iPhone 5C/5S, iPhone 6/6+, iPhone 6S/6S+, and iPhone 7/7+. A Lightning-to-USB cable is included.
- miniUSB (type-B) Port: Works Use the unit's miniUSB (type-B) port to connect your Apple Mac OS X 10.6.4 and later or Microsoft Windows XP and later with the included miniUSB-to-USB cable. The unit's miniUSB (type-B) port also works with Android devices that support USB OTG (On-The-Go) and USB Audio Class 2.0 (cable included).
Note: To playback music files from a Windows PC, you will need to download and install the driver from www.peachtreeaudio.com/support/usb-drivers.html.
Headphone Amp: The Peachtree Shift's headphone amplifier is an ultra-low-noise design that can power practically any headphone, from sensitive in-ear monitors to power-hungry over-the-ear models. The Shift features a 3.5mm headphone jack for its headphone amp. With Shift's dedicated amplifier driving your headphones, you'll be able to hear your music with superior transparency, imaging, detail and bass response. To help achieve this level of performance, the Shift's multi-layer circuit board has been designed to operate with the lowest overall noise floor and distortion, in addition to extensive use of noise isolation techniques to minimize interaction between internal components.
Preamp Mode: The Shift features a line-output mode switch so it can used as a USB DAC & preamp in your Hi-Fi system. Simply connect your personal computer to the Shift and let it provide the analog audio output to your system. You'll need a stereo minijack cable or a 3.5mm-to-stereo RCA adapter (both sold separately) to connect the Shift to an available line-level analog input on your Hi-Fi system.
High & Low Gain Switch: The Peachtree Audio Shift also includes a convenient output level switch to tailor the volume control for high-sensitivity headphones (most in-ear types) and low-efficiency headphones (most over/on-ear types). The Shift supports headphone output levels (@1kHz) of 230mW into 16Ω, 136mW into 32Ω, and 65mW into 300Ω.
Variable or Fixed Output: The Shift uses a microprocessor driven analog volume control that works with the volume buttons and sliders on your smartphone, tablet or personal computer. The variable output mode on shift is ideal when connected to headphones or powered speakers that don't include their own volume control. The fixed output mode turns shift into a high-performance USB DAC for your Hi-Fi system.
Compact Aluminum Chassis: The Peachtree Shift's small, lightweight chassis is constructed of aluminum and finished with premium leather. The bottom of shift even includes rubber pads to add protection and stability when it is placed on a desk or table.
Rechargeable Battery: The Peachtree Shift features a high-capacity internal lithium-ion battery pack that can last up to 8 hours on a single charge. The unit's miniUSB port and included cable allow you to charge the battery from a 3rd party USB/AC adapter (sold separately) or a free USB port on your computer. It takes approximately 4 hours to full charge the Shift's battery pack.
USB Charger: The Shift's built-in batter pack, USB ports, and included cables can also be used to "top-off" and charge your Apple iOS or Android device's battery in about 2 hours. Make sure the Shift's internal battery has a full charge and your Apple iOS or Android device's battery has more than a 50% charge when using the Shift as a USB charger.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.