Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Energy Take Classic 5.1
Home theater speaker system
Item # 732TAKECL | MFR # 1008207
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Energy Take Classic 5.1 by Crutchfield's Chris Egner
Get more enjoyment from all your TV shows, movies, and music. Energy's Take Classic 5.1 system delivers high-impact home theater sound with four matching satellite speakers, a center channel speaker, and a subwoofer. Steve Guttenberg of CNET calls this system "hands down, one of the best small speaker packages you can buy for less than $1,000."
Smooth sound throughout the room
This system's wide, uniform sound dispersion lets everyone in your room get the same audio experience regardless of where they sit. You'll hear detailed music, clear dialogue, and realistic ambient effects throughout your entire listening space. Each speaker's carefully designed tweeter and woofer team up to deliver smooth, natural sound. The two drivers are mounted together and aligned precisely to keep the sound focused and help produce a deep, wide soundstage.
Impressive bass impact
The 50-watt subwoofer pumps out clean, deep bass, thanks to its 8" down-firing woofer and front-firing port. And the sub's Ribbed Elliptical Surround keeps distortion at bay and increases efficiency, for lows you can feel as well as hear.
Sleek finish and flexible placement options
The Take Classic 5.1 sports a handsome, high-gloss black finish that's sure to add an elegant look to your room. And if you want to conserve shelf space, you can use the integrated keyhole slots or threaded inserts to wall-mount the speakers up and out of the way.
This is a great sound system. You cannot beat it for the price. The sound is incredible and the subwoofer puts out a lot of bass. Bought as scratch and dent but you would never know. All the speakers were perfect.
JohnnyA, New York
What's in the Box:
- 4 Matching satellite speakers (4 attached grilles)
- Center channel speaker (attached grille)
- Powered subwoofer
- 20 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- includes 4 satellites, 1 center channel speaker, and 1 subwoofer
- bass-reflex (ported) design
- 8-ohm impedance
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- video-shielded (except sub) to prevent magnetic distortion on tube TVs
- 5-way binding posts
- high-gloss black finish
- warranty: 5 years for the speakers, 1 year for the sub
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- frequency response: 115-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 3/4" Hyperbolic aluminum-dome tweeter
- 3" poly-titanium woofer
- each handles up to 100 watts
- keyhole slots with threaded inserts for wall-mounting
- 4-3/16"W x 6-11/16"H x 4-15/16"D
Center channel speaker:
- frequency response: 110-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 3/4" Hyperbolic aluminum-dome tweeter
- 3" poly-titanium woofer
- handles up to 100 watts
- keyhole slots with threaded inserts for wall-mounting
- 10-1/4"W x 4-3/16"H x 5"D
- frequency response: 33-150 Hz (±3dB)
- 50-watt RMS amplifier
- 8" woofer with Ribbed Elliptical Surround
- variable low-pass crossover: 40-150 Hz
- 12-1/4"W x 14-5/16"H x 13-7/16"D
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Video Shielded||Y (not subwoofer)|
|Pieces in System||6|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||3|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Keyhole|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||31|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs speaker/1 Yr amp|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs speaker/1 Yr amp|
|RMS Power Range (watts)||20-100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power (watts)||50|
|Main Speakers (inches)||6-11/16H x 4-3/16W x 4-15/16D|
|Center Speaker (inches)||4-3/16H x 10-1/4W x 5D|
|Surround Speakers (inches)||6-11/16H x 4-3/16W x 4-15/16D|
|Subwoofer (inches)||14-5/16H x 12-1/4W x 13-7/16D|
Overview: The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1-Channel Home Theater System features four matching satellite speakers, a center-channel satellite speaker, and a powered subwoofer. It includes a powerful 200-watt (Dynamic) powered subwoofer with a front-firing port, 8-inch driver and Ribbed Elliptical surround for bass that you feel as much as hear. The satellite speaker's 3-inch poly-titanium woofer and .75-inch hyperbolic aluminum-dome tweeter focuses sound for clearer dialogue and music. The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1 System utilizes proprietary technology and high quality components that allow you to enjoy natural and accurate music reproduction. The satellite speakers and subwoofer each feature a high-gloss black finish that look great with contemporary flat panels. Gold plated binding-posts ensure positive connection for high performance.
Flat On-Axis Frequency Response With Wide Bandwidth: The ENERGY 5.1-Channel Speaker System reproduces the entire audio range in a uniform manner. By ensuring that no one frequency dominates any other, the Take Classic 5.1ch System ensures that every note is the way it was intended to be, and the sound as natural as possible.
Wide and Constant Dispersion: The Take Classic 5.1 System provides an even pattern sound at all frequencies in all directions throughout the room.
Low Distortion Resonance: No speaker system is distortion or resonance-free, but the ENERGY 5.1 Speaker System has achieved a significantly lower distortion level with a clearly audible improvement.
4 Matching Satellite Speakers: The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1 Channel Home Theater System features four matching satellite speakers. The satellite speakers feature a 0.75" Hyperbolic Aluminum-Dome tweeter and 3.0" Poly-Titanium Cone woofer with a rubber surround inside a magnetically shielded bass-reflex enclosure with a rear firing port. The speakers are rated at 8-ohm. The satellite speakers have a frequency response of 115 to 20,000 Hz. Each satellite speaker features a high-gloss black finish, a removal cloth grille, gold-plated binding-post terminals (accommodates up to 15 AWG speaker wire), and a rear-mounted key-hole slot for wall-mounting (mounting screws not supplied). There is also a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the speaker for wall-mounting the satellites using an optional bracket (sold separately). The satellite speakers can also be placed and secured on optional speaker stands or shelves using the supplied self-adhesive rubber feet.
Center-Channel Satellite Speaker: The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1-Channel Home Theater System's matching center-channel speaker is larger than the four matching satellite speakers and should be mounted horizontally. The center-channel speaker features a 0.75" Hyperbolic Aluminum-Dome tweeter and 3.0" Poly-Titanium Cone woofer with a rubber surround inside a magnetically shielded bass-reflex enclosure with dual front-firing ports. The speaker is rated at 8-ohm. The center-channel speaker has a frequency response of 115-20,000 Hz. The center-channel satellite speaker features a high-gloss black finish, a removal cloth grille, gold-plated binding-post terminals (accommodates up to 15 AWG speaker wire), and two rear-mounted key-hole slots for wall-mounting (mounting screws not supplied). There is also a 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the back of the speaker for wall-mounting the center-channel using an optional bracket (sold separately). The center-channel speaker can also be placed and secured on an optional speaker stand or shelf using the supplied self-adhesive rubber feet.
Powered Subwoofer: The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1-Channel Home Theater System features an 8" powered subwoofer with a 200 (dynamic) watt amplifier. The powered subwoofer contains a down-firing injection molded 8" cone woofer with a ribbed elliptical surround inside a bass reflex enclosure with a front firing port. The 8" woofer is powered by a built-in 50 watt (continuous) 200 watt (dynamic) amplifier. The powered subwoofer has a frequency response of 33 to 150Hz. The powered subwoofer offers the following controls and connections on its rear-panel.
- Volume Level: This knob can be adjusted to control the level of output from the subwoofer. The level chosen should allow the subwoofer to blend its output with the rest of the 5.1-channel speaker system.
- Low-Pass Filter: This control allows for the adjustment of the low-pass filter. Adjustments can infinitely be made from 40 to 150Hz. This will determine the highest frequency that the subwoofer will reproduce.
- Phase: This switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the subwoofer, in relation to the five other speakers in the system from 0 or 180 degrees
- Power Mode: This switch can be set to either On, Off, Auto. If the switch is in the Off position, the subwoofer will not power up. If the switch is in the On position, it will constantly remain on. If the switch is set to the Auto position, when a signal is present the subwoofer will turn on and will automatically turn off several minutes after a signal is no longer present.
- Line/Sub In: These inputs are an RCA type LFE/stereo/mono input. If you are connecting your subwoofer to an A/V receiver with an LFE or Subwoofer preamp output, connect a single RCA cable to the LFE/Left input. If you are connecting your subwoofer to an AV receiver without a dedicated subwoofer or LFE preamp output but does features a stereo RCA output, use stereo RCA cable and connect to both the LFE/Left and Right inputs.
- Speaker Level In: The Speaker Level input are designed to be used on receivers or amplifiers that do not incorporate any RCA type subwoofer outputs. If your receiver is equipped with an RCA type subwoofer outputs, these speaker level inputs should not be utilized.
- Power Cord Connector: The powered subwoofer features an attached 7' AC power cord terminate by a two-prong AC plug.
- Status Indicator (Front-Panel): The LED found on the front panel will illuminate in blue when the subwoofer is functioning. If the unit is Auto mode and is not receiving a signal, the light will remain off.
Speaker Placement: Speaker placement can be critical in the performance of any home theater speaker system. Follow these guidelines to get the most out of your ENERGY Take Classic system.
- Front Satellite Speakers: For best stereo imaging, the left and right speakers should be the same distance from their respective side walls. If the distance from one speaker to the listener is very different from the other, it can affect the soundstage or stereo imaging. Therefore, the ideal position is having the speakers equidistant to you, the listener.
- Center-Channel Satellite Speaker: The center-channel can be expected to reproduce as much a 60% of a movie's soundtrack, most of which is dialogue. In order to maintain the effect of voices emanating from the actor's mouth, the center speaker should be centrally located between the left and right main channels and placed above or below the television. Be sure that the center speaker's front baffle is flush with the front face of the television or cabinet to maximize dispersion.
- Surround Satellite Speakers: The surround speakers can
be positioned in a variety of locations. The surround placement is usually
dictated by the room, where the walls and room boundaries happen to be, and
where speaker cable can be easily run. The most common surround speaker
locations are the following:
- Side Walls: For best results in side wall mounting applications, position the speaker adjacent to and slightly behind the primary listening area at a height of approximately 6 feet.
- Rear Walls: For best results mounting on a rear wall, position the speakers so they flank the main listening area and point towards the front of the room. They should be raised to a height of approximately 6 feet and should ideally have a space of 6 feet between them.
- Power Subwoofer: The placement of the ENERGY subwoofer
is critical to its performance. The three most common locations include:
- Corner Of Room: Results in a boomy or exaggerated low frequency response.
- Side Wall: Moderate bass performance with increased fidelity over corner placement.
- Beside Front Speaker: Creates a better blend with the front speaker, but sacrificing overall volume.
Amplifier Requirements: The ENERGY Take Classic 5.1 System is designed to operate on a wide range of AV receivers and/or amplifiers with a power rating of 20 to 100 watts continuous per channel. The impedance for all speakers is 8-ohms, allowing almost any amplifier to function well.
Break-In Period: ENERGY recommends that you break in this speaker system for 50 hours before playing the speaker at their full capabilities. This can be easily done by putting your compact disc player on Repeat mode, while playing a CD with a wide dynamic range at normal listening levels.
Cabinet Care: Great care and craftsmanship has gone into the constructions and finish of the speakers' cabinets. Periodically use the supplied soft, dry cloth to remove dust or fingerprints. Do not use paper towels or other abrasive material as it may damage the high-gloss finish.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.