Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
NAD VISO 5
Home theater receiver with built-in DVD player
Item #: 745VISO5
This item is no longer available.
NAD VISO 5
Our take on the NAD VISO 5 by Crutchfield's Marshall Chase
An outstanding system with fewer components standing out
Not every great home theater system begins with a rack load of black boxes. The NAD VISO FIVE combines the performance of a full-size home theater receiver with a top-notch DVD player, all within a single component.
Compact design and robust features
The VISO FIVE is a shining example of quality telling quantity to take the back seat. This system fires off 45 watts of real, clean power to each of its five channels. Add speakers and you're ready to rumble, especially if you have a powered sub in the mix. The built-in DVD player upconverts video to 1080i via its HDMI output, for a crisp picture on your HDTV. If you have an older television, the VISO FIVE is also a great choice, offering analog connections, including component and S-Video. The convenient front-panel input makes connecting video cameras a breeze. And there's a 1/4" headphone output and Dolby® headphone processing to make private listening exquisite as well as convenient.
Not just for home theater
Queue up your favorite CD and get ready for something special.The VISO FIVE's high-quality internal parts, including a DAC from renowned manufacturer Crystal, bring those digits alive. You can even listen to your iPod® and XM satellite radio with optional add-ons. Any way you play it, the VISO FIVE will provide untold hours of listening and viewing enjoyment.
What's in the Box:
- A/V Surround Receiver/DVD Player
- 68" AC Power cord
- HTR 7 Wireless remote control
- 4 "AAA" Batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM Dipole antenna
- 300 ohm to 75 ohm adapter
- Owner's manual
- Warranty information
- 45 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20k Hz) at 0.08% THD
- built-in decoding for Dolby®, DTS®, and Dolby Pro Logic® II
- Dolby Virtual Speaker for enveloping surround sound effects using only two speakers
- AM/FM stereo tuner with 60 station presets
- on-screen menu
Disc Player Features:
- DVD-Video discs, DVD+/-Rs, & DVD+/-RWs
- plays CDs, audio CD+/-Rs, CD+/-RWs, & MP3 CDs
- plays digital picture CDs (JPEG) & DivX®
- HDMI output for connection to an HDTV
- analog video inputs include:
- two composite video, 1 front 1 back
- two S-video, 1 front 1 back
- one component video
- composite video, S-video, and component video monitor outputs
- digital audio connections include:
- one back optical input
- one back digital coaxial input
- one back optical output
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- 5.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- line level mono output for optional powered subwoofer
- iPod® ready with an optional NAD dock
- XM satellite radio ready (requires subscription and optional tuner)
- RS232 port for automated control systems
- 1/4" front headphone jack
- binding post connectors
- learning, multi-brand remote control
- 17-1/8"W x 5-5/16"H x 14-3/4"D
- weight: 33 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Features and Specs
Disc Compatibility: The NAD VISO FIVE supports DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-Audio, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, DivX, VCD, and SVCD disc formats. The unit will automatically detect what type of disc you have loaded. MP3, WMA, and JPEG files recorded on CD-R or CD-RW are also compatible. JPEG images can be rotated in 90° increments.
DVD Scaling: Video from the integrated DVD player can be scaled when the HDMI output is used; resolution options include 480p, 720p, 1080i, and auto (automatically set to the highest resolution supported by the TV).
Video Monitor Outputs: Along with the HDMI output (which only displays the integrated DVD player and the on-screen menu system), there are component video, S-video, and composite video monitor outputs to match the corresponding inputs. There is no video conversion between signal types, so if an external video source is connected, the same type of cable must be used to connect the VISO FIVE to the TV. When the HDMI output is set to 480p or turned off, the on-screen menu is output through all the monitor outputs.
On-Screen Menu: The VISO FIVE offers an on-screen menu for easy navigation and setup.
Amplifier Section: The amplifier is rated using NAD's Full Disclosure Power; 45 watts continuous output x 5 channels with all channels driven simultaneously from 20-20,000 Hz into 8Ω loads with no more than 0.08% THD. The stereo spec (two channels powered simultaneously) is 60 watts x 2, also measured from 20-20,000 Hz into an 8Ω load with no more than 0.08% THD.
Listening Modes: The VISO FIVE is equipped with various listening modes to reproduce a variety of surround sound effects, according to the content of the source being played:
- Dolby Digital: 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format
- DTS: 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications
- Dolby Pro Logic II: expands existing
stereo audio to 5.1-channel playback; has three available
- Movie: optimized for movie soundtracks
- Emulation: designed for decoding original Dolby Surround film and music recordings
- Music: creates an enveloping
ambience from stereo music sources; includes three
controls for fine tuning:
- Panorama: wraps the sound of the front left and right speakers around you, for an exciting perspective
- Dimension: adjusts the sound-field either towards the front or towards the rear of your system
- Center Width: allows you to gradually spread the center channel sound into the front left and right speakers
- EARS: proprietary NAD surround processing, plays multi-channel (5.1) from two-channel recordings, stereo or surround-encoded; EARS extracts the natural ambience present in nearly all well-produced stereo recordings, it does not synthesize any ambience or other sonic elements
- Dolby Virtual Speaker (DVS): Dolby Virtual
Speaker technology creates a compelling 5.1-channel listening
experience from as few as two speakers, useful for locations
where space for multiple-speaker systems is limited; choose
from two setting options:
- DVS Reference: a small, well-damped room appropriate for both movies and music recordings
- DVS Wide: a larger room, more like a concert hall or movie theater
- Enhanced Stereo: all recordings are output in stereo using the maximum number of speakers, useful for maximum volume from all channels or for multi-speaker background music; the front, center, surround, and surround back speakers can be turned on/off as desired
- Stereo: all output is directed to the front left and right speakers; low frequencies are directed to the subwoofer (if present)
Dolby Headphone: Dolby Headphone technology accurately simulates the experience of hearing a 5.1-channel speaker system, and is compatible with conventional headphones. It's ideal for private playback of multi-channel entertainment without disturbing anyone else. Dolby Headphone has three settings, or can be turned off if you prefer.
Speaker Setup: The speaker outputs are setup manually to match your speaker system:
- Speaker Size: select Large (full frequency range), Small (crossover set to approximately 80 Hz), Mini (crossover set to approximately 150 Hz), or Off for the front (the front speakers cannot be turned off), center, and surround speakers
- Subwoofer: on/off
- Enhanced Bass: on/off; available when the subwoofer is on and all speakers are set to Large; increases the bass output by using the full range channel speakers as well as the subwoofer to reproduce bass from the full range channels
- Speaker Distance: the distance from the listening position to each set of speakers (front, center, and surround) can be set from one to 30 feet in one foot increments
- Speaker Levels: the output level of each speaker channel, including the subwoofer, is adjustable +/-12dB, relative to the main volume
5.1-Channel Input: The receiver is equipped with one set of 6-channel RCA type inputs for use with an outboard 5.1-channel decoder; there are inputs for left front, right front, center, left surround, right surround, and subwoofer. The adjustments made in the speaker setup menu do not affect the 5.1-channel inputs.
Digital Audio Inputs: The VISO FIVE is equipped with one optical digital and one coaxial digital input. The digital inputs can be assigned to the Cable/Sat, VCR, or Front input. There is also an optical digital output, active when playing a disc or using one of the digital inputs.
Tone Control: You can independently adjust the unit's bass and treble output +/-12 dB in 2 dB increments. The bass and treble adjustment affects only the front left and right channels.
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the 1/4" headphone jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Remote: The included HTR 7 remote controls the VISO FIVE and is pre-coded with controls for other NAD components. It will also learn commands from other remotes, controlling up to eight components. The HTR 7's buttons are backlit; the lighting duration is programmable from zero to nine seconds. Up to 44 macro commands can be programmed using the function keys; each macro can contain up to 64 commands.
RS-232C: The RS-232C port can be used in conjunction with an external controller; AMX, Crestron, or a compatible PC using NAD's proprietary PC software.
Trigger Output (3.5mm): When a device with a 12 volt trigger input is connected, the connected device's power on/standby can be controlled through linked operation to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility: Using an optional iPD 2 iPod dock (item number 745iPD2, sold separately) you can integrate your iPod or iPhone with the VISO FIVE. Once the iPD 2 and iPod are connected, iPod will be displayed as the input, instead of VCR. There are two iPod control modes; in Menu mode the iPod is controlled using the buttons on the receiver or the receiver's remote control, in Simple mode the iPod is controlled using the buttons on the iPod or the remote included with the iPD 2 dock. In the Menu mode only audio (music in the iPod menu) can be played and the song title, artist name, album title, or track time will appear on the receiver's display panel. In the Simple mode audio, video, and photos can be played (the receiver must be connected to the TV using an S-video cable; photos are only displayed during a slide show). In Simple mode the song, artist, and album data are not displayed. The iPD 2 will also charge your iPod while connected. The VISO FIVE supports the following iPod models and features (as of De cember 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Media Type||Control||Display||Charge|
Note: Apple firmware updates may change functionality results. You may need to reset your iPod if you download a newer software version.
XM Satellite Ready: The optional XM Direct 2 Home Tuner (item number 220XHD2H1, sold separately) lets you enjoy XM Satellite Radio through the XM-ready receiver. Simply connect the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner to the XM jack on the back of the receiver, place and aim the antenna for optimum reception, and you are ready to start enjoying commercial-free music, plus live sports, news, talk, and exclusive entertainment. The channel category, channel name, artist name, or song title can be listed on the receiver's display. Up to 30 XM stations are stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are.
Note: In addition to the XM Direct 2 Home Tuner and the XM-ready receiver, you will need a subscription to XM Satellite Radio to receive XM programming.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.