Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
NAD VISO 1 AP
Powered speaker system with Bluetooth® and Apple AirPlay® wireless streaming (Black)
Item # 745VSO1APB | MFR # Viso 1 AP Black
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the NAD VISO 1 AP by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Enjoy high-performance wireless audio
Listen to music on your smartphone or tablet? Stream it wirelessly to the NAD VISO 1 AP and enjoy detailed, lifelike sound. This modern-looking system features both Apple AirPlay and Bluetooth wireless audio streaming technologies, which means it's compatible with most smart devices out there. Whether you own an iPhone®, iPad®, or Android™ smartphone or tablet, you can experience accurate, room-filling sound from your favorite audio files, music apps, and even video or game soundtracks.
The smooth lines of the VISO 1 AP make it an attractive addition to most any décor.
The system is a composition of curved, flowing lines and surfaces, giving the VISO 1 a beautifully organic look while enhancing the acoustic performance of the speakers.
The VISO 1 AP contains an array of sophisticated electronic circuitry. The system bypasses the audio circuitry in your portable device, handling the incoming digital music signal with its own precise, audiophile-quality DAC (digital-to-analog converter). Each of the two high-performance full-range drivers has its own amplifier, ensuring accurate, robust sound quality. And the two drivers are housed in separate internal enclosures to prevent acoustic cross-interference, keeping the sound clean and clear.
The system was co-designed with NAD's sister company PSB, known for their high-performance speakers. Their expertise went into the VISO 1 AP's carefully constructed woofer. It handles the low frequencies, delivering full, musical bass. A special circuit compensates for clipping, so even at maximum volume there's no harsh distortion with your music. You'll enjoy a spacious soundfield that has real presence.
Another key to the VISO 1 AP's exceptional wireless sound quality is aptX® audio coding, an advanced type of Bluetooth wireless streaming that retains virtually all the detail of the audio signal it carries. And if your Bluetooth device doesn't have aptX, don't worry — the VISO 1 AP is also backwards-compatible with earlier forms of Bluetooth. So you can wirelessly stream your music from almost any portable device and still enjoy great sound.
The convenience of Apple AirPlay
Are you an Apple fan? AirPlay technology lets you wirelessly connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch® or computer running iTunes® to the VISO 1 AP via your Wi-Fi® network. Stream audio from your Apple portable directly to the system. Or stream music from the iTunes library on your laptop or desktop computer and use your Apple portable as a remote to make selections, as well as adjust volume. (Requires Apple's free Remote app.)
Even more playback options
The VISO 1 AP has an optical digital input, so you can make a direct connection from your compatible media server or disc player and enjoy exceptional sound. A USB port on the back lets you make a direct connection with your Apple portable device for playback and recharging.
Default sound is good. But it has equalizer so i could fine tune to my liking. I had one of this product but it had problems. NAD took care of it and was refunded by the dealer.
What's in the Box:
- Wireless Airplay speaker
- Two 6.5' AC power cords (US/EU)
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V lithium battery
- Cleaning cloth
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
- wireless speaker system with Apple AirPlay and Bluetooth
- built-in Wi-Fi for AirPlay streaming
- compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- compatible with Bluetooth-enabled smartphones, tablets, computers, and portable devices
- bi-amplified speaker system delivers accurate sound
- two 2-3/4" full-range drivers
- 5-3/4" subwoofer
- overall frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz
- 15 watts x 2 for full-range drivers plus 50 watts for subwoofer
- Bluetooth with aptX audio coding for greater sonic detail with compatible devices
- USB port for direct playback and recharging of Apple portables
- optical digital input for media servers and disc players
- remote control
- 19-1/8"W x 10-1/4"H x 12-1/4"D
- weight: 12.3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
NAD VISO 1 AP Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
NAD Amplifier + PSB Speakers: The VISO 1 AP wireless AirPlay music system combines the engineering expertise of two iconic Hi-Fi companies - NAD Electronics & PSB Speakers. The NAD VISO 1 AP provides smooth, accurate, & clear sound with an airy, 3-dimensional soundstage.
NAD Direct Digital Amplifier: At the heart of the VISO 1 AP is NAD's proprietary Direct Digital amplifier technology. NAD's Direct Digital amplifier technology eliminates all analog circuitry & offers very high efficiency & low power consumption.
Bi-Amplification: Each loudspeaker in the NAD VISO 1 AP is directly coupled to its own amplifier channel (50W sub, 15W right speaker, 15W left speaker), eliminating power-robbing passive crossover components. Since the exact load condition for each amplifier channel is known, power output can be optimized to make the most efficient use of the overall power available.
Note: The system's total amplifier power output is 80 Watts (50 watts to sub & 15 watts to each speaker).
PSB Speakers: NAD teamed up with its award-winning sister company, PSB Speakers, to make the NAD VISO 1 AP the ultimate compact music system for your AirPlay device; with a pair of advanced full-range drivers & a single high power-handling woofer.
- Two Full-Range Drivers: The full-range drivers utilize a focused neodymium magnet system & a 1" voice coil with fiberglass former to give it both high sensitivity & high power handling. There is a unique black anodized aluminum dome/cone assembly attached to the motor, which is terminated with a soft rubber surround. The total diameter is 2.75" with a one-inch dome in the center. This provides enough cone area to extend response down to 180Hz, yet the dome allows excellent high frequency dispersion & extension to 28kHz. These drivers have their own separate enclosures that are optimized for a low frequency cut-off of 500Hz. This allows for ideal integration with the woofer response while lowering distortion at high playback levels.
- Single Woofer: The woofer uses a very powerful magnet & specially designed pole piece to improve sensitivity & lower distortion. A 1.25" voice coil moves the 5.75" cone on a high temperature fiberglass voice coil former. By carefully integrating the driver, enclosure, & amplifier, a highly effective sixth order alignment is utilized to extend bass response to below 50Hz (with the -6dB point at 33Hz).
Note: The system's total frequency response is 50Hz to 20,000 Hz or 33Hz to 28,000 Hz (-6dB).
Bass Reflex Cabinet: The VISO 1 AP wireless AirPlay music system features a bass reflex enclosure with a side-firing port for increased efficiency and better bass extension.
Digital Soft Clipping Circuit: The NAD VISO 1 AP also employ a Digital Soft Clipping circuit to prevent harsh distortion & possible speaker damage when playing at loud volume levels.
Near Field: The NAD VISO 1 AP includes a special feature that subtly reduce the amount of high frequency power to optimize performance for "near filed" listening. You may prefer this setting if you listen at a very close distance or have a very small room.
AirPlay Technology: Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed (wired or wirelessly) from your Mac or PC to the NAD VISO 1 AP. You can even bypass the computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device).
- iTunes Streaming: The NAD VISO 1 AP is able to play audio from your computer's iTunes account either wirelessly (WiFi) or via a wired (Ethernet) connection using AirPlay streaming technology. When connected to the same network as a computer running iTunes, the VISO 1 AP can appear as an output option in the pop-up menu at the bottom of the iTunes window. You can then browse your iTunes collection on your computer and stream music to the VISO 1 AP. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the NAD VISO 1 AP or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to the same network as the VISO 1 AP.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream your stored music and music apps on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad directly to the VISO 1 AP; so there's no need to dock your Apple device. The NAD VISO 1 AP's AirPlay feature works with iPod touch, iPhone , iPad, and iPad mini with iOS 4.2.1 or later; connected to the same wireless network.
USB (type-A) Port: The NAD VISO 1 AP's rear-panel USB (type-A) allows connection of your USB mass storage class device or Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad device.
- USB Mass Storage Class Compliant: The rear-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone, portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive. The USB port enables audio playback & control of music files stored on a portable USB mass-storage class device. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the USB port and the VISO 1 AP is turned on.
- USB Direct: The NAD VISO 1 AP also supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its rear-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the speaker's rear-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the VISO 1 AP, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the included remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. The remote offers limited control (Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, & Previous/Next Track). Advanced music navigation and viewing song/artist information must still be done through your Apple device. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Bluetooth aptX: The NAD VISO 1 AP uses a new version of Bluetooth called aptX, which is a "Hi-Fi" version offering the same performance as a wired connection. The built-in Bluetooth aptX wireless high-fidelity reception allows many Bluetooth enabled device to seamlessly integrate with the NAD VISO 1 AP. This allows wireless integration of your iPod touch, iPhone, & iPad; as well as Android & Windows-based smartphones or tablets. The VISO1 AP supports audio streaming from stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth-enabled device. Music navigation and song/artist information will still be handled by the Bluetooth mobile device (not the VISO 1 AP).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the VISO 1 AP.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The NAD VISO 1 AP is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" and supports the following Apple device functionality (as of 6/5/2013).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Info||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Optical Digital Input: The NAD VISO 1 AP's rear-panel optical digital input accepts up to 24-bit/96kHz music (2ch only) from external devices; such as your televisions, disc players, & media streamers.
Remote Control: The supplied IR remote control provides wireless operation of your connected AirPlay or USB device (not Bluetooth). The remote offers basic playback controls; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, & Skip Previous/Next. The remote also provides Source, Volume Up/Down, & Mute controls. The remote is powered by a single CR2025 3V lithium "coin-type" battery.
Power Requirements: The NAD VISO 1 AP operates off of standard household current using the supplied 6.5' AC power cord. There are two detachable power cords supplied (one for North America & the other for Europe). 100-240V~50/60Hz, 35W
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
6 answers How does this unit compare to Samsung DA-E750 and Polk Woodbourne? They are all at the same price level but have very different specs. I am not a basshead but like to enjoy reasonable bass when one is present. Which unit would you recommend and why? Thank you for your input. [ Leonid Jan 01, 2014 ]
No need to return the entire unit just because the remote is broken by your husband. The remote is very plasticy and easy to break for the battery cover, which is quite a downside. But I barely use it. Plus, you can easily purchase another remote from NAD. [ Jimmy Jan 29, 2014 ]
No need to return the entire unit just because the remote is bad. You can easily purchase a remote from NAD. Just send an inquiry form on their site. [ Jimmy Jan 29, 2014 ]
Thank you Mary for your input. I had a chance to hear Samsung DA E-750 with Bass boost, it really increases bass but at the same time it completely distorts mids and highs to the point that makes bass boost a useless feature. That's why I am looking for unit with original natural boost. [ Leonid Jan 02, 2014 ]
Hi Leonid, Well, when I was choosing which speaker was right for me, the Polk Woodbourne wasn't available. However the Samsung DA-E750 was, and I was very interested in what it had to offer. I especially liked the idea of it being powered by vacuum tubes. I am a musician and guitarist, and my amplifiers I play through have vacuum tubes in them so I know what good tubes can do for your sound. But to be balanced, they are an extra expense when you have to replace them, and at times they can be microphonic. But I wouldn't suspect that would be a problem with the unit,it's just an observation. Also, I was a little under impressed with the Samsung's style, if that's what you would call it. To me, it is an uninspiring cherry wood box. It really doesn't have an aesthetic appeal to me. But I know that is not the major factor when buying a speaker of this price so I didn't really put much stock into that factor. I would bet the down firing subwoofer sounds great for bass, but I've never heard it in person so I can't really say. Also, the little dock that comes out of the back, how long do you think it would be before that gets broken in some way? I don't know. But the Viso 1 AP is awesome!!!! I can tell you that I am very satisfied with my purchase. One of the deciding factors in purchasing the Viso was the amount of user feedback I saw on the Crutchfield site. The older version had 18 reviews and I think the Airplay version has 5 reviews. If you go back and read them, I can tell you that they are all right on the money. Plus there was a fair amount of reviews available on the internet from audiophile type reviews that were all positive so I felt very comfortable making this purchase without ever hearing it in person. I use mainly Airplay for all my music, and I get wonderful deep bass, excellent clarity, and professional sound. Nothing is muddy, it sounds clear even at full volume. My character allowance is topping out so I can't type more... [ BRIAN Jan 01, 2014 ]
Don't know about other products but the NAD VISO did not allow any bass adjustment. Sound was great but you are not able to adjust for more bass. [ MARY ALICE Jan 01, 2014 ]
No idea. I settled on the B&W Zeppelin Air instead. I own three Zeppelins, and passed on the NAD Viso. I liked the aesthetics and sound of the Zeppelin better. [ Stephen Jan 01, 2014 ]