Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Universal 3D Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi®
Item # 768BDP95 | MFR # BDP-95
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Oppo BDP-95 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Most high-performance components specialize at doing one or two things really well. Oppo's well-engineered BDP-95 universal Blu-ray player combines reference-quality picture and sound with mind-boggling versatility. It's the last disc player you'll ever need or want!
A universal player that truly does it all
Whether you're an audiophile, a videophile, or a bit of both, the BDP-95 will let you enjoy your disc collection like never before. It can play pretty much any disc you throw at it. Blu-ray movies including 3D titles look simply spectacular, and DVDs aren't far behind. On the audio side, DVD and Blu-ray soundtracks reach new heights, and you'll hear fresh details in all your music, including high-res stereo and multichannel DVD-Audio and SACD discs.
Blu-ray and DVD have never looked better
Oppo's flagship player is a brilliant choice for serious home theaters that include a large flat-panel TV or projector. Those displays really benefit from a top-notch video source that lets them show their stuff. The BDP-95 features some of the latest and most advanced video circuitry available, like Marvell's Qdeo processor. Blu-ray movies possess beautifully natural detail and texture. And Marvell's upconversion yields extraordinary results with DVDs you'll occasionally be hard-pressed to tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray.
Superb sound is what really sets this player apart
You can actually get close to this player's picture quality for less money it's the BDP-95's sonic capabilities that really make it a star. It handles every multichannel music and soundtrack format out there. Its 7.1-channel analog output makes the BDP-95 the ideal companion for older A/V receivers and preamp-processors that lack either HDMI connections or decoding for the latest surround sound formats. If you use the analog outputs, you'll enjoy sound quality that's superior to that of most A/V receivers. Oppo's fanatical approach to sound combines careful engineering with high-quality parts. For example, the player's dual audio DACs are the top model in the acclaimed ESS Sabre DAC family. Both are 8-channel DACs one is dedicated to multichannel audio, while the other provides 4 stacked DAC channels for each stereo channel, for vanishingly low distortion and exceptional detail and soundstaging.
Audio and video streaming that needs no apology
Connect the BDP-95's Ethernet port to your home network, or use the convenient built-in Wi-Fi® and enjoy Internet movie and music streaming with quality that will surprise you. For video there's Netflix® along with the web's best-looking movies: high def on-demand titles from Vudu® at 1080p. For music, there's Pandora® Internet radio for casual listening, or try downloading high-res FLAC files and putting them on a disc or thumb drive. You'll be amazed at the lifelike sound.
Built like a tank
In a world of lightweight Blu-ray players, the BDP-95's solid construction is reassuring. Its sturdy drive mechanism and advanced error correction help it sail through discs that cause other players to stumble and stall. One nice extra is two HDMI outputs. That's handy for feeding two displays, like home theaters with both a projector and a flat-panel TV. It's also a great solution if you have an HDMI-equipped receiver that doesn't handle 3D: you can send 3D video to your TV over one HDMI while sending multichannel audio to your receiver with the other. And the BDP-95 is a pleasure to use, with soft-touch controls on the front panel and one of the best backlit remotes we've seen.
Haven't heard of Oppo?
For years, Oppo's DVD and Blu-ray players have been favorites with audio/video aficionados. The company has been at the forefront of disc-player design and technology, yet their models are also known for delivering amazing bang for the buck. The BDP-95 is the best-performing player they've ever built. And that's saying a lot.
From our Oppo BDP-95 Universal 3D Blu-ray player review
"The BDP-95 is probably the most reliably enjoyable component I've ever owned. It has worked flawlessly, playing every disc I've thrown at it, including a few that caused other players to stumble. It's not cheap, but when you consider how much it can do, and how well, it's one of the best bargains I know of."
Steve Kindig, Crutchfield Senior Editor
Just got my Oppo-95 up and running today. OMG what a picture and what sound! My old player was a top of the line LG. I watched the first few minutes of Master and Commander and could not believe the difference. Can't wait until tonight---- I'm watching Top Gun!
Bill G, Stuart, FL
What's in the Box:
- Single-disc Blu-ray player
- 5' AC power cord
- 6' HDMI cable
- Remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Wireless-N USB adapter
- USB dock (with attached 57" cable)
- Nylon tote bag
- User Manual
- Netflix offer
- Blockbuster offer
- plays standard and 3D Blu-ray discs, SACDs, DVD-Audio discs, DVDs, and CDs
- Internet-ready — plays movies and more from Netflix® and Vudu®, and music from Pandora® Internet radio (membership required for Netflix)
- built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
- streams photos/videos/music from a compatible DLNA-enabled Windows® PC
- BD-Live and BonusView support for added bonus features with compatible discs — includes 2GB of built-in memory for downloadable content
- two ESS Sabre DAC (ES9018) 32-bit audio digital-to-analog converters with jitter reduction
- Marvell Qdeo video processor for better picture quality
- custom-built toroidal power supply for clean, robust power
- extensive picture and sound adjustments
- illuminated remote control
- plays Region A Blu-ray discs and Region 1 DVDs
- selectable video resolution up to 1080p (via HDMI output only)
- video upconversion for DVD and streamed video (HDMI only)
- HDMI version 1.4a for 3D video, Deep Color, x.v.Color, High-Bit-Rate Audio, and HDMI-CEC control
- built-in audio decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD Master Audio
- outputs high-resolution audio for decoding in your compatible receiver (HDMI connection required)
- video outputs include composite video, component video, and dual HDMI
- analog component video output resolution may be limited when viewing copy-protected discs
- audio outputs include stereo (RCA and balanced XLR), 7.1-channel RCA, and optical and coaxial digital
- Ethernet port for BD-Live, Internet audio and video streaming, and firmware updates
- 2 USB ports (front and rear) for photo/video/music playback
- e-SATA port for connecting an external hard drive
- RS-232 port for automated control systems
- detachable power cord
- 6-ft. "High Speed" rated HDMI cable included
- 17"W x 4-1/8"H x 14-1/4"D
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Oppo BDP-95 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Surround Sound Decoding||
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
DTS-HD Master Audio
|4K Ultra HD|
|Internet Movie Streaming||Blockbuster, Netflix,Vudu|
|Smartphone App Control||No|
|DVD Video Upconversion||720p, 1080i, 1080p|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Digital Optical Output||1|
|Digital Coaxial Output||1|
|Analog Audio Outputs||7.1ch/2ch|
|1080p Video Output||Yes|
|Component Video Outputs||1|
Disc Compatibility: The Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray disc player is compatible with many disc types:
|Disc Type||Disc Description|
|Blu-ray||BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE (DL)|
|DVD||DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R (DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R (DL), DVD+RW|
|CD||CD-Audio, SACD, HDCD, CD-R, CD-RW, Kodak Picture CD|
Blu-ray Disc: Blu-ray, also known as Blu-ray Disc (BD) is the name of a next-generation optical disc format. The format was developed to enable recording, rewriting and playback of high-definition video (HD), as well as storing large amounts of data. The format offers more than five times the storage capacity of traditional DVDs and can hold up to 25GB on a single-layer disc and 50GB on a dual-layer disc. This extra capacity combined with the use of advanced video and audio codecs will offer consumers an unprecedented HD experience.
- Better Picture Quality: Blu-ray Disc is a true high-definition format offering video at 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution. While standard DVDs look very good on an HDTV, they don't provide a high-definition signal (not even when you use an up-converting DVD player). Blu-ray Disc delivers an extraordinarily sharp, clean, detailed picture, with deeper, richer colors.
- Better Sound Quality: In addition to the same multi-channel sound formats you're accustomed to with DVD (Dolby Digital and DTS), Blu-ray Disc offers Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, and uncompressed 7.1 channel PCM.
- Much Greater Storage Capacity: What makes Blu-ray Disc's superior picture and sound possible is the much higher storage capacity of Blu-ray Disc discs. A single-layer Blu-ray Disc can hold 25 gigabytes of data, over five times the amount a standard DVD can hold. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs hold 50 gigabytes, which equates to nine hours of High Definition or 23 hours of Standard Definition video, plus high-resolution multi-channel audio and the added features and material that require multiple discs with standard DVD.
- Backward Compatible: To ensure backward-compatibility with your existing library of discs, Blu-ray Disc players use a dual-laser mechanism: a blue laser for playing high-definition Blu-ray Discs, and a conventional red laser for playing DVDs and audio CDs.
Note: Like DVD, BD uses region codes. The region code on your disc must match the region code on your player, otherwise the disc will not play. The BDP-95 is Blu-ray region A and DVD region 1. Blu-ray Disc uses the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) to prevent unauthorized recording of copyrighted material.
Blu-ray 3D: Blu-ray 3D is the Blu-ray disc video format for 3-dimensional (3D) video playback developed by the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA). Supporting Full HD (1080p), so you can enjoy high quality 3D video. TV and Blu-ray titles are also required to be 3D compatible to enjoy the 3D experience. Adding a 3D capable A/V Receiver will provide a more engaging audio and video consumer experience.
Firmware Updates: As Blu-ray technology continues to evolve, new disc types with enhanced functionality will become available. In order for you to enjoy this new functionality, you will likely be required to update the firmware in your player. These firmware updates will become available for downloading from the Internet via the rear-panel Ethernet terminal. Occasionally, Oppo may release new firmware for the purpose of additional features or product improvements. Firmware updates can be downloaded from the Oppo website via the player's Ethernet connection. This player offers automatic firmware notification.
Note: The tested Oppo BDP-95 contained firmware version BDP9x-52-0707. Immediate firmware upgrade (ver. BDP9x-57-0917) was available. Visit Oppo's Help and Support site for the latest firmware updates.
DVD-Audio: DVD-Audio is an extension of the highly popular DVD format, distinguished by its capability to deliver high quality multi-channel audio capability previously unavailable in traditional packaged audio media.
SACD: The BDP-95 plays Super Audio CD (SACD) and supports both stereo and multi-channel high resolution audio programs. Blu-ray Players that support Super Audio CD use a technology called Direct Stream Digital (DSD) to convert music into a digital signal that can be stored on a disc. Compared to the traditional PCM method (the technology used for CD), DSD offers a much higher resolution by following more closely the original waveform of music. Users can select whether to output the DSD (Direct Stream Digital) signal in its native format over HDMI or convert it into high resolution PCM. With a frequency response of over 100kHz and a dynamic range over 120dB across the audible frequency range, some 64x higher resolution then CD, Super Audio CD offers music reproduction that reveals details you just can't hear on a normal CD.
HDCD: High Definition Compatible Digital (HDCD) discs let you enjoy expanded dynamic range and improved audio resolution.
AVCHD: AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) is a digital video format used to record high definition or standard definition video, using an efficient data compression coding technology. The format is designed to compress video and audio (Dolby Digital or Linear PCM) data, enabling a high definition video signal shot on a digital camcorder and recorded on DVD disc to be played back. The BDP-95 supports AVCHD playback from DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW discs.
DivX Plus HD: The Oppo BDP-95supports DivX Plus HD playback from DVD-R/RW and CD-R/RW discs. The unit supports DivX Plus HD video with a resolution up to 1920 x 1080 pixels.
JPEG Slideshows: The BDP-95 will playback JPEG still image files written to DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
Music File Playback: The Oppo Blu-ray disc player supports playback of AAC, FLAC, MP3, PCM, WAV, and WMA audio files recorded onto DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, and CD-R/RW discs.
PAL/NTSC Conversion: The BDP-95 supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another.
Parental Control: Parental Control allows you to set a rating limit based on the age of the viewer, preventing your children from viewing inappropriate material. Playback will stop if the ratings exceed the level you set, and it will require your to enter a 4-digit password before the disc will play back.
Rigid Chassis Construction: Built around a heavy gauge steel chassis, sculptured aluminum faceplate, and center-mounted tray, the BDP-95 is designed to impress as well as to provide a stable base for the highest quality reproduction of your favorite audio/video media.
Qdeo by Marvell: The BDP-95 incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo technology. Qdeo video processing delivers a truly immersive viewing experience by rendering quiet natural video free of noise and artifacts for all types of content. For high-quality Blu-ray content, the BDP-95 faithfully reproduces the program just as the director intended; for DVD, the up-converted picture quality bridges the visual gap from your current DVD library to Blu-ray discs; for network streaming and user-encoded content at a variety of formats and quality, the BDP-95 offers enhancement options including video noise reduction, compression artifact reduction, intelligent color, contrast, detail and edge enhancements.
Dual HDMI v1.4a Outputs: The BDP-95 is equipped with two HDMI output ports and offers the most versatile installation options. You do not have to upgrade your A/V receiver to a 3D model in order to enjoy 3D. One HDMI output of the BDP-95 can be connected to a 3D TV and the other can be connected to a pre-3D HDMI v1.1-v1.3 A/V receiver. For projector users, you can connect one output to a projector for home theater use and the other to a TV for casual viewing. For a multi-room installation the BDP-95 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D TVs simultaneously. Both HDMI outputs support 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and 1080p/24Hz video signals.
Note: The player also contains a component (480i/480p/720p/1080i) and composite (480i only) video output.
Full HD 1080p Output: The BDP-95 features user selectable video output resolutions, including 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and up to 1080p 50/60Hz.
True 24p Video: Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames-per-second (fps), the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-95 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output (compatible display required) for smoother motion and a flicker-free, film-like home theater experience.
DVD Up-Conversion: Per-pixel motion-adaptive de-interlacing and advanced scaling transforms the standard definition image on DVDs to near high definition video quality. Additional Qdeo video processing options help to deliver a clearer, smoother, and true-to-life picture free of noise and artifacts.
Source Direct Mode: For users who wish to use an external video processor, high-end audio/video receiver or display, the BDP-95 offers a "Source Direct" mode. The original audio/video content on the discs is sent out with no additional processing or alteration. The actual output resolution varies by content:
|Content||Source Direct Output Resolution|
|Most Blu-ray Movies (film source)||1080p or 1080p/24Hz|
|Most Blu-ray TV shows or Concerts (video-source)||1080i|
|SACD and DVD-Audio||1080i|
3D-Ready: The Oppo BDP-95 lets you enjoy 3D Blu-ray disc movies in full HD 1080p. There are three 3D output settings.
- Auto: Automatically outputs 3D if supported both by the disc content and the display. The player automatically checks for the existence of 3D content on the disc and the 3D compatibility of the TV or projector. If both are qualified, the player sends 3D video from its HDMI output terminals, otherwise only 2D video is sent out.
- Forced: Always outputs 3D video format for 3D Blu-ray discs. You might experience a black screen (no video output) if your TV is not 3D compatible.
- Off: Always outputs 2D video format, even when 3D video exists on the disc. This guarantees the video quality if your TV is not 3D compatible, or some necessary part (such as the 3D glasses) is missing.
Note: 3D viewing requires compatible 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D emitter and glasses, and a high-speed HDMI cable (supporting at least 10.2 Gbps) connection.
3D TV Size: This option applies to 3D mode, to help the player adjust the 3D image to the screen size of your HDTV for better visual quality.
x.v.Color: x.v.Color reproduces a wider range of color than the HDTV standard, showing almost all of the colors that the human eye can detect. Currently there is no x.v.Color software available on Blu-ray, but the BDP-95 is ready to take advantage of x.v.Color discs when they become available.
Deep Color: The HDMI output supports Deep Color, increasing the number of bits available for transmission, meaning more colors are displayed. The BDP-95 can provide 4,096 shades of each of the three primary colors, for a total of 68.7 billion possible colors. This results in greater color fidelity, smooth tonal transitions, and ultra-fine gradations between colors. It also enables more shades of gray, for higher contrast ratio.
Aspect Ratio and Zoom Modes: The BDP-95 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming. Users can watch a movie in its original aspect ratio, fit to the full screen, or zoom in to remove the black bars on some titles. For users with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system, the player's zoom modes include a vertical stretch mode to work nicely with an anamorphic lens. You can choose from the following Aspect Ratio and Zoom Modes:
- Aspect Ratio Modes: 4:3 Letterbox, 4:3 Pan and Scan, 16:9 Wide, and 16:9 Wide/Auto
- Zoom Modes: 1:1 (no zooming), Stretch/Compress, Full Screen, or Under Scan.
Subtitle Shift: For customers using a 2.35:1 "Constant Image Height" video projection system, subtitles may get cut off because they are positioned outside of the active video area. The Subtitle Shift feature can be useful to these customers. The player can shift subtitles up or down so they are displayed within the active video area.
Advanced Picture Control: Users can have fine control of brightness, contrast, saturation, hue, sharpness, noise reduction, color, and contrast enhancements. The player can remember and apply three custom picture control modes to suit a variety of viewing conditions and content types.
Bonus View: The Bonus View feature provides picture-in-picture capability with select Blu-ray Disc titles. You can view addition content (such as director/actor commentary) in a small display window while the movie is playing.
High-Quality Sound: Thanks to the high performance DAC chips, the toroidal power supply, high quality parts, and engineering, the Oppo BDP-95 offers a very detailed sound with an extremely low noise floor and distortion. You will hear details from your music that you have missed before.
Sabre³² Reference Audio DAC: The DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The Sabre³² Reference ES9018 from ESS Technology is the world's best performing 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for high-end consumer applications and professional studio equipment. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the Sabre³² Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR (Dynamic Range) of up to 135dB and THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion plus Noise) of 120dB; the industry's highest performance level that will satisfy even the most demanding audio enthusiast. The BDP-95 uses two ES9018 DAC chips; one for the 7.1-channel output, and another for the dedicated stereo output.
Toroidal Power Supply: Custom designed and built by Rotel, the toroidal power transformer offers superior power efficiency and much lower exterior magnetic field over traditional laminated steel core transformers. The BDP-95's toroidal linear power supply provides a very clean and robust power source to the critical audio components.
Analog Outputs: The Oppo BDP-95 is fitted with unbalanced stereo RCA outputs, XLR balanced stereo outputs, and 7.1ch RCA analog outputs.
- Unbalanced Stereo RCA Output: The BDP-95 features a dedicated 2-channel analog RCA output with specially optimized ES9018 DAC and output driving stages. Each output is driven by 4 DAC channels stacking together to achieve even greater audio performance.
- XLR Balanced Stereo Output: The balanced output features a true differential signal path all the way from the DAC to the 3-pin XLR connector. By transmitting a pair of differential signals, the balanced output provides better common-mode noise rejection and improves signal quality.
- 7.1Ch Analog Output: Individual analog 7.1ch surround RCA outputs are ideal to connect to a 7.1ch or 5.1ch surround sound system. Powered by the ES9018 Sabre³² Reference DAC, the BDP-95 delivers an incredible and immersive multi-channel sound stage.
Digital Outputs: For simple and easy connection to more traditional A/V receivers, the BDP-95 features both optical and coaxial outputs for digital audio.
Digital Audio Formats: The Blu-ray player's HDMI output is capable of multi-channel bitstream (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, and DTS) and multi-channel PCM output. The optical and coaxial digital outputs pass either Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, or 2-channel PCM.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD delivers lossless studio master quality audio designed specifically for high definition entertainment. The BDP-95 supports bit-stream output of Dolby TrueHD via its HDMI 1.4a output. It can also internally decode Dolby TrueHD into LPCM and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats are also supported.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio delivers an auditory experience that matches the lifelike images of high-definition video with up to 7.1ch that are bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. The BDP-95 supports bit-stream output of DTS-HD Master Audio. It can also internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio and output via HDMI or the 7.1ch analog audio output terminals. DTS-HD High Resolution Audio and DTS Digital Surround are also supported.
Pure Audio Mode: You can enjoy higher quality music audio by turning off the video processing and output. The Pure Audio mode reduces any potential interference between the video and audio signals.
Note: Because HDMI carries audio together with video, the HDMI video signal cannot be completely turned off. A black screen is transmitted instead to minimize any potential interference.
Audio Format Chart: The following chart provides a reference to what type of audio signal can be expected (when Secondary Audio is off):
|Source Format||HDMI Output||Coaxial/Optical Output||Analog Multi-Channel Output|
|LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||2ch|
|LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 5.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 7.1ch||LPCM 2ch||LPCM 2ch||7.1ch|
|Dolby Digital||Dolby Digital||LPCM 5.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||5.1ch|
|Dolby Digital Plus||Dolby Digital Plus||LPCM up to 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|Dolby TrueHD||Dolby TrueHD||LPCM up to 24-bit/192kHz 7.1ch||Dolby Digital||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS||DTS||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 5.1ch|
|DTS-HD High Resolution||DTS-HD High Resolution||LPCM up to 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
|DTS-HD Master Audio||DTS-HD Master Audio||LPCM up to 24-bit/192kHz 7.1ch||DTS||LPCM 2ch||up to 7.1ch|
Direct Stream Digital (DSD) Encoding: The Super Audio CD standard is based on Direct Stream Digital (DSD) technology, a 1-bit system with a digital sampling frequency 64x that of conventional audio CD's 2,822,400 samples per second. Mixed with as many of the original frequencies as possible, the audio information audible for human ears sounds much more natural than CD. The DSD bitstream can be output via HDMI or the multi-channel output.
Down Mix Mode: Down mix is the process of converting multi-channel audio to less number of channels. For example, converting a 5.1ch source to stereo, or converting a 7.1ch source to 5.1ch. Down mixing allows the audio output from the player to match the exact number of speakers available in your home theater. The following down mix modes are available.
- LT/RT: Left Total/Right Total. The center and surround channels are mixed into the two front channels according to the LT/RT matrix. A Dolby Pro Logic receiver will decode the two-channel audio into surround audio.
- Stereo: This mode down-mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original stereo content the output will not change. For original multi-channel content the surround and center channels will be mixed with the left and right front channels. Recommended for use with TV sets or stereo receiver/amplifiers.
- 5.1Ch: This mode enables 5.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. If the source content has more channels, the surround back channels will be mixed into the surround channels.
- 7.1Ch: This mode enables 7.1ch decoded audio output. The number of actual output channels depends on the disc. For 6.1ch contents, the left and right surround back speakers will both output the same surround back audio channel.
Speaker Configuration: In the Speaker Configuration menu you can configure speaker settings such as speaker distance, speaker size, crossover frequency, and trim level.
- Test Tone: Test tone is a special group of artificially-created sounds that are used to test your audio speaker system and help to identify any wiring faults.
- Speaker Size: The speaker size parameter sets bass filtering
control for the speakers. The options are:
- Large: Bass frequencies are passed to the speakers.
- Small: Bass frequencies are not passed to the speakers to reduce possible distortion. If the subwoofer is available, bass frequencies are redirected to the subwoofer.
- On (for subwoofer only): Specifies that a subwoofer is available
- Off: Speaker for the corresponding position does not exist. Audio for the missing speaker is redirected to other speakers or discarded if redirection is not possible.
- Crossover: When a speaker size is set to "Small", bass information below the selected crossover frequency (40/60/80/90/100/110/120/150/200/250Hz) is not passed to the speaker to reduce possible distortion; and if a subwoofer is available, the bass information will be redirected to the subwoofer.
- Speaker Distance: The speaker distance parameters set delay control for the corresponding audio channel. The delay is used to compensate for the audio time difference caused by the placement of speakers. The speaker distance can be set from 0 to 60'.
- Trim Level: The speaker trim level parameters sets the volume of each individual channel. The trim level can be set to +/- 10dB in 0.5dB increments. Channel trim is generally not required since most A/V receivers have the capability to adjust.
Note: Speaker Configuration applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs only. All digital bitstream and LPCM outputs are unaffected by these settings.
Dynamic Range Control (DRC): DRC can smooth out the sonic peaks and valleys common with wide-range digital audio. Enabling DRC may make low level audio more audible during low-level listening. The Dynamic Range Compression is applied on the analog audio output; it also works on the digital audio output (HDMI, Coaxial and Optical) when the audio format is set to PCM.
Wireless or Wired Network Connection: Using the included wireless-N adapter or the built-in Ethernet (RJ-45) port, you will be able to interact with BD-Live content, watch instant streaming programs from online providers (such as Netflix/Blockbuster/Vudu), playback contents stored on your home network, and keep the BDP-95 up-to-date with firmware releases to ensure maximum Blu-ray compatibility.
DLNA Certified: DLNA certification ensures a device is compatible with other devices designed according to the DLNA interoperability guidelines. The BDP-95 is certified as a Digital Media Player for audio, video, and still photos stored on your Windows PC (Windows 7 recommended).
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, FLAC, MP3, PCM, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVI, DivX, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG, GIF, and PNG
Video On-Demand (VOD): You can instantly watch movies from Netflix, Blockbuster, and Vudu over the internet using this Blu-ray disc player. You also get access to YouTube Leanback and Pandora Internet Radio.
- Vudu: Vudu lets you stream thousands of movies instantly the day-and-date they are released on DVD/Blu-ray in stunning 1080p/5.1ch audio. You pay per movie, with no monthly subscription. Service available in the United States only.
- Netflix (2ch): With more than 20 million members in the United States and Canada, Netflix is the world's leading Internet subscription service for enjoying movies and TV shows. The Blu-ray player supports up to 2CH audio streaming from Netflix. For $7.99 a month, Netflix members can instantly watch unlimited movies and TV episodes streamed over the Internet. Netflix is available in the United States and Canada.
- Blockbuster On-Demand: Blockbuster On-Demand gives you the convenience of renting movies online and the ability to exchange them in-store. When you're finished watching a DVD, you can return it by mail or exchange it for a movie rentals or discounted game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores. Blockbuster's online DVD library has more than 95,000 titles, and it's growing every week. Subscription plans starting at $11.99. Service available in the United States only.
- Film Fresh: Film Fresh (by RoxioNow) offers thousands of online movies and TV episodes for you to download and instantly watch. No subscription necessary. You can rent movies for $2.99 or purchase movies for $9.95.
- YouTube Leanback: YouTube Leanback is a new way to watch YouTube videos on your TV. YouTube Leanback has been formatted and optimized specifically for TV viewing. With simple controls and full screen viewing, Leanback makes watching videos on YouTube as effortless as watching TV.
- Pandora Internet Radio: Pandora is an online automated music recommendation and Internet Radio service. You can create your own personalized radio stations. You can then sort tracks within these radio stations. You can even skip up to 6 tracks that are being played back within 1 hour. Pandora is only available in the United States.
- Picasa: The Blu-ray player lets you connect to your Picasa account and provides online photo viewing and sharing capability.
Note: Video On-Demand requires a home network with a connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps recommended (10 Mbps for HD content). Video quality and picture size vary and are dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Online content may require additional fees and/or PC registration. Available online content may change without notice.
BD-Live: BD-Live is a collection of online interactive features that content providers may include with a Blu-ray Disc movie to enhance your enjoyment of that movie, providing you a compelling new world of extended interactivity. BD-Live includes access to studio-specified Internet sites that provide you the ability to, for example, download current movie trailers or other exclusive content, play movie related games, enhance the content of their disc, chat with other viewers, play games with other BD-Live connected players, and much more. Blu-ray players and movies must both support BD-Live in order to use the technology.
Dual USB Ports: The Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray Disc Player is equipped with two USB ports (one on the front-panel and the other on the rear-panel). The player also includes an external USB dock for easier connection. You can use the USB ports to plug in a USB drive for audio, video, and photo playback. The USB ports are rated to provide 5V and 1000mA (maximum) to power a USB drive; that is sufficient for USB (MSC) thumb drives and flash memory card readers, a USB hard drive may require an external power supply. Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32, or NTFS (New Technology File System) file system.
- Supported Audio Files: AAC, FLAC, MP3, WAV, and WMA
- Supported Video Files: AVCHD, AVI, DivX, MKV, MPEG, and WMV
- Supported Photo Files: JPEG, GIF, PNG
Note: USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones are not compatible. Not compatible with iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
eSATA Port: The BDP-95 features an eSATA interface on its back panel. You can take advantage of this fast interface to play contents from external hard drives which contain audio, video, and photo files. An external power supply should always be used with an eSATA drive.
Start Up/Play Back Time: The Oppo BDP-95 Blu-ray player has a start-up time of approximately 18 seconds. It takes approximately 37 seconds for a Blu-ray disc to begin playback.
Note: The Start Up/Play Back Time tests were started with the Blu-ray player initially turned off and in standby mode. The Start Up Time test was stopped when the player's Home Menu screen appeared. The Play Back Time test was stopped when the Blu-ray disc began playback.
Easy Setup Wizard: When the player is turned on for the first time, an Easy Setup Wizard screen will appear. It is a series of guided instructions designed to configure the basic settings for the player. The Easy Setup Wizard will help you configure the basic settings for this player. More detailed settings can be accessed at the Setup Menu at any time after finishing or exiting the wizard.
Memory and Automatic Resume: The player automatically remembers the current position when playback is interrupted. Operations such as Stop, Open/Eject, or turning Power off will cause the player to save the current playing position. The position is memorized even after turning off the unit or changing the disc. When the next time the disc with a memorized playing position is played back, the player will recognize the saved playing position. Playback will automatically resume from this saved position. The player can remember playback position for up to 5 discs. When the sixth disc is memorized, the oldest one is replaced.
Note: Some Blu-ray Discs do not support resuming and will always play from the beginning.
Display Dimmer: The Blu-ray player lets you control the display intensity of the front-panel Vacuum Fluorescent Display. You can choose Standard or Dim.
Demo Mode: The split-screen demonstration mode is designed for the demonstration of the Qdeo video processing technology. It can also be used as an aid for setting picture control adjustments for Noise Reduction, Color Enhancement, and Contrast Enhancement. It should not be used for normal movie watching.
Screen Saver: The screen saver is designed to minimize burn-in concerns for plasma and CRT display devices. Video output will be turned off after 3 minutes of inactivity
Wireless Remote Control: The BDP-95 comes with a fully back-lit remote control for ease of use in dark home theaters. With its ergonomic button layout and clear labeling, operating the Blu-ray Disc player is easy.
HDMI CEC: HDMI Consumer Electronics Control (HDMI CEC) simplifies your home theater by allowing a single remote control to operate multiple devices through HDMI connection.
Oppo Remote App for Apple iOS: Oppo offers a free Remote App that allows you to operate the player from your Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch (optimized for the iPhone 5, requires iOS 5.0 or later). The Blu-ray player and your compatible Apple iOS device must be connected to the same home network.
Note: The player must be turned on and connected to the network before it can be controlled by this app. The app can turn the player off, but once off, it cannot be turned on from the app. The Blu-ray player must have firmware version BDP9x-71-0723 or later.
External IR: For integration into home theater control systems, the BDP-95 provides external IR IN (3.5mm) port to use with an IR distribution system.
RS-232C Port: For custom installation, the BDP-95 offers an RS232 control port with a rich control and communication protocol. Installers can easily program their favorite control systems to operate the BDP-95.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.