Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Desktop stereo integrated amplifier (Red)
Item # 773ICONR | MFR # NF-ICON-Red
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the NuForce Icon by Crutchfield's Jim Richardson
Want better sound from your computer? Take a look at the compact Icon integrated amplifier from NuForce.
The audio circuitry that's built into most computers leaves a lot to be desired. A puny amp. A cheap digital-to-analog converter. Flimsy little speakers, too. It all adds up to distinctly low-fi sound. If you spend a lot of time with your computer, and music is important to you, you'll want to upgrade all three parts of the audio chain. The NuForce solution is one of the easiest and most affordable ways to do it.
Connect up to three music sources to the Icon. A stereo minijack accepts the headphone output from your smartphone or MP3 player. A pair of RCA jacks accommodates a CD player or iPod® dock. A USB jack connects your computer to the Icon's built-in high-grade DAC.
If you've invested in a good set of headphones, you'll also appreciate the high-resolution headphone amp inside the Icon. It runs circles around the one built into your computer. You'll get crystal-clear sound for times when you need to keep your music to yourself, like in a crowded office or late at night.
What's in the Box:
- Integrated amplifier
- Power supply with attached 5' DC output cord (15 volt/1.6 amp)
- 6' AC power cord
- Silicone stand
- Two 64" Speaker wires (each with one RJ-45 connector on one end and two single banana plugs on the other)
- 38" USB cable (USB Type-A on one end and USB Type-B on the other)
- 12 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms at 0.06% THD
- built-in USB DAC
- high-performance headphone amplifier
- 3.5mm stereo minijack audio input
- 1 pair RCA analog audio inputs
- stereo minijack audio output
- RJ-45 speaker connectors (speaker wire included)
- AC adapter handles worldwide voltages (60W, 100-240VAC)
- 1-1/4"W x 6"H x 4-1/2"D
- weight: 1 lb.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
NuForce Icon Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Watts RMS per Channel (8-ohms)||12|
|Watts RMS per Channel (6-ohms)||0|
|Watts RMS per Channel (4-ohms)||0|
|Minimum Impedance||4 ohms|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||84|
|Digital Music Features|
|Built-in DAC (Digital to Analog Converter)||Yes|
|High-resolution Audio Playback||No|
|Total Analog Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Inputs||No|
|Coaxial Digital Inputs||No|
|USB Input||1 Type B|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The icon is a desktop amplifier with a headphone amp and digital to analog converter built in. There are three inputs, USB (digital), stereo RCA, and stereo mini-jack, along with a mini-jack line output and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
USB Input: The USB input is designed to connect to your computer's USB port, allowing the icon to act as the sound card and amplifier. The input is a USB Type-B port and a USB Type-A to USB Type-B cable is included.
Analog Inputs: There are two analog inputs, stereo RCAs and a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, both on the rear panel.
Speaker Outputs: The amplified outputs are RJ-45 terminals and speaker wire is included with the amp (with an RJ-45 connector on one end and two single banana plugs on the other). When using the NuForce S-X speakers, the wire included with the speakers should be used, which has RJ-45 connectors on both ends.
- Power: rotary power/volume control on the front panel; controls the volume for both the speaker level and front panel headphone outputs; turn fully counterclockwise to turn the unit off
- Input: rotary input selector switch; three position, mini-jack, RCA, and USB
- Front: 1/8" headphone; stereo; compatible with headphones up to 32 ohms; 31.25 mW x 2; THD 0.03%; 20 Hz-20 kHz
- Power: DC input for use with included power supply
- Input 1: stereo mini-jack (3.5mm)
- Input 2: stereo RCAs
- Input 3: USB Type-B input; compatible with USB 1.1 and 2.0 (full speed and high speed); USB cable included
- Speaker Output: left and right RJ-45 terminals; muted when headphones are plugged in
- Line Output: stereo mini-jack; use the icon as a preamp or add a powered subwoofer
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.