Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable wireless speaker system with Apple® AirPlay®
Watch a product review
Crutchfield: iHome iW1 Airplay wireless speaker
Crutchfield: Intro to Apple Airplay
From iHome: iW1 Airplay Series
From iHome: iW1 Airplay Series set up guide
Item # 775IW1 | MFR # IW1
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the iHome iW1 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Wirelessly stream your iTunes library
With the iHome iW1, it's easy to enjoy your iTunes music library anywhere in your home. Through Apple Airplay (a feature of iTunes 10), you can wirelessly connect your computer, iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the iW1 and stream your iTunes audio library to the speaker system. And that's not just your stored music, but also podcasts and Internet radio stations.
Create an instant whole-house audio system
Because AirPlay links all compatible devices together, you can place additional iW1 speakers in other rooms and simultaneously play music wirelessly throughout your home. Or use the iW1 with other AirPlay-compatible speaker systems and audio receivers to create a custom wireless home audio network.
The batteries deliver hours of uninterrupted music — great for a party, or just relaxing on the porch. Just grasp the convenient integrated handle to tote the iW1 wherever you want.
Sure, you can use the included remote to control the iW1. But with Apple's free Remote app, you can also operate the system directly from your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.
And the iW1's a pleasure to listen to. Matched speakers powered by a low-distortion amp deliver finely detailed, accurate sound — even at extreme volume levels. Sophisticated processing circuitry continually adjusts the sound, improving brightness and clarity while also delivering deeper bass.
iPod and iPhone docking option
When the iW1 is placed on its charging base, you can also connect an iPod or iPhone directly to the system. Just use your player's charging cable. When you plug it into the iW1's USB port, the system will automatically charge your device. And you can play music directly from your connected iPod or iPhone through the system.
"On the whole, I enjoyed my time with the iHome iW1. It was easy to set up, and once the battery was fully charged, I could take it just about anywhere in my home (even a little outside of it). Sound quality was very good, and I especially appreciated the improvement the iW1 brought to my basement work area over the old AM/FM CD player currently residing there. Not only better sound, but a better variety of music!"
— Ralph, Crutchfield Blog Editor and A/V Writer
What's in the Box:
- Airplay Speaker (iW1)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6' DC cord)
- Remote control (Rz10)
- CR2032 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 21" USB/iPod dock sync cable
- Charging base
- Quick Start Guide
- Remote Control Instruction Booklet
- Limited 1 Year Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions/Consumers Product Safety Guide
- Product Registration
- iHome Brochure
- portable wireless powered speaker system
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, iPad®, or computer
- USB port for iPod/iPhone charging cable
- built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
- AC power adapter for recharging base
- 12-1/2"W x 7-7/16"H x 3-3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: You might experience network dropouts when using AirPlay with an iPhone 4S. Apple is working to fix this software problem.
- supports WPA Personal & WPA2 Personal Wi-Fi security; not compatible with WEP encryption
iHome iW1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
iHome iW1 AirPlay Wireless Speaker: The iHome iW1 is a wireless audio system with built-in AirPlay & Bongiovi Acoustics DPS. AirPlay is a built-in feature to Apple devices that lets you stream audio wirelessly from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, & iTunes through your existing WiFi network. Using AirPlay, the iW1 lets you play your iTunes or Apple device's music in any room of your home or office wirelessly, via your WiFi network. The iW1 provides high-quality sound thanks to Bongiovi Acoustics DPS technology. The iHome iW1 features a built-in rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery for a truly wireless experience. The iHome iW1 Airplay wireless audio system is the perfect solution for iTunes, iPad, iPhone, & iPod users. With the iHome iW1 you can:
- Stream music directly from iTunes on your Mac or PC using your home Wi-Fi network.
- Stream your favorite music from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch from your iPod library or popular music apps like Pandora & iHeartRadio (available on the App Store).
- Dock, charge, & play audio with your iPhone or iPod using included USB/dock sync cable.
- Enjoy true wireless audio anywhere around the house with the iW1's rechargeable battery, convenient charging base & carrying handle.
- Add Multiple iW1 speakers to enjoy multi-room audio anywhere in the home (streaming to multiple speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source).
- Download & enjoy iHome apps available on the iTunes App Store - iHome Sleep (music alarm clock app), iHome Radio (Internet Radio music app), iHome Connect (network setup app for iHome AirPlay).
Studio Series Sound: The iHome iW1 AirPlay wireless audio system brings studio quality sound to your home. The iW1 offers high performance audio featuring Bongiovi Acoustics DPS (Digital Power Station) with specially tuned woofers & tweeters with a clean, efficient Class-D amplifier.
Bongiovi Acoustics DPS: Bongiovi Acoustics DPS uses real-time digital signal processing that extends audio bandwidth & adds missing harmonics without adding peak output to the signal. It effectively improves brightness, clarity, & presence, while delivering deeper, more resonant bass & crystal clear highs.
Matched Speakers & Digital Amplifier: The iHome iW1 uses the latest in Class-D amplifier technology, which enables clean, efficient & low-distortion output. The iW1 also has speakers that are custom-designed & matched for Studio Series sound. Specific choices for physical arrangement, resonator materials, magnets, & crossovers provide balanced & accurate sound reproduction.
- Class-D Amplifier: The Class-D amplifier is rated a 13 watts (RMS) x 2-channel.
- 2-Way Speakers: The iW1 features two 1" silk soft-dome tweeters & two 3" long excursion woofers with graphite mica reinforce polypropylene cones.
Note: Total system frequency response is 72Hz to 20,000Hz.
Adjustable EQ: Bass & Treble controls let you customize the iW1 system's sound.
AirPlay Wireless Technology: Using AirPlay wireless audio streaming technology, the iW1 streams music from your iTunes, iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad anywhere you have a WiFi network in your home. Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the iHome iW1. You can even bypass your computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The iW1 & your Apple device must be connected to the same wireless network via WiFi (802.11b/g).
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10 music collection and Internet radio (such as Pandora & iHeartRadio) with full navigation & playback control from your computer (Mac/PC) or iPod touch/iPhone (iOS 4.2 or later), via Apple's free Remote app. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the iHome iW1. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. The iW1 must be connected to a WiFi network with access your iPad (1/23), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) & running iOS 4.2 or later.
Note: For AirPlay, the iW1 must be connected to WiFi network with access to a Mac or PC running iTunes 10.1 or later; or an iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) running iOS 4.2 or later.
WiFi Certified: AirPlay works wherever there is a Wi-Fi network. The iHome iW1 is WiFi Certified for 802.11b & 802.11g WiFi networks. The "WiFi CERTIFIED" logo is an assurance that the WiFi Alliance has tested this product in numerous configurations & with a diverse sampling of other devices to ensure compatibility with other WiFi Certified equipment that operates in the same frequency band.
Note: The iW1 may take between 30-120 seconds to connect with your home network. The iW1 supports the following WiFi security types - WPA Personal (-PSK) & WPA2 Personal (-PSK); not compatible with WEP.
iHome+Apps Technology: The iW1 AirPlay wireless audio system is compatible with the following iHome+Apps, available for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. Simply download these apps for free from the Apple iTunes App Store to your compatible iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPad.
- iHome Connect App: The iHome iW1 supports simple network setup & custom device naming using the iHome Connect app (a free app available on the iTunes App Store) for iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch. Simply launch the app & dock your Apple device to the iW1 (with the included USB docking cable) & follow simple on-screen menus to configure WiFi. You'll be able to enjoy AirPlay in just a few short minutes.
- iHome+Sleep App: The iHome+Sleep app is a free sleep lifestyle app (from iTunes App Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. In addition to a full screen clock (with weather, iPod controls, & photo backgrounds) the app features custom alarms, wake & sleep music profiles, sleep stats, social update, plus reminders.
- iHome+Radio App: The iHome+Radio app is a free Internet Radio app (from iTunes Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. The iHome+Radio app connects you to over 30,000 internet music, talk, sports, & news stations from around the world. With multitasking background audio support, you can listen to Internet Radio while surfing the web, playing games, & more.
Note: iHome+Sleep, iHome+Radio, & iHome Connect apps only work with iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), and requires iOS 4.0 or later.
Multi-Room Audio: You can add multiple iW1 speakers throughout your home & with AirPlay enjoy the same music from any or all of your speakers, simultaneously. Streaming to multiple iW1 speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source.
USB Docking: The iHome iW1 also supports audio playback via its rear-panel USB (type-A) port by using the included USB/dock sync cable or the USB/dock cable that comes with your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The iW3 will even charge your USB/dock connected iPod or iPhone (with the iW3 turned on). The unit will not charge the iPad. The USB docking connector works with the iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th gen), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (2G/3G/3G/4/4S/5), & iPad. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the unit. The USB connector is not compatible with other USB (MSC/MTP) devices.
Firmware Updates: It may be necessary to update the firmware of your iW1 speaker to ensure the latest compatibility and optimal functionality. You can download the latest firmware updates from the iHome Support Site to a USB thumbdrive & connect to the USB port on the back of the iW1. Register for an iHome account to receive emails about FW updates.
Auxiliary Input: The iW1 is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input for connection of an external portable audio device, other than your Apple device.
Playback Control: The iHome iW1 offers control of your streaming music. The iW1 supports play/pause, next track, previous track, & volume control of iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, & iTunes music playback from the speaker control panel & from the included IR remote.
- Capacitive Touch Panel: The iHome iW1's sleek, backlit touch-sensitive control panel provides an elegant user interface to control the system & your music playback. The backlit capacitance touch-sensitive control interface offers power, mode, volume, & music controls. Controls will be lit according to the status of the iW1 speaker & the selected mode.
- Remote Control: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation over the AirPlay speaker system & your music.
Apple Free Remote App: Use Apple's free Remote app to wirelessly control your iTunes music from your iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th gen), iPhone (3GS/4), & iPad. Simply download the Remote application for free at the itunes App Store. Then you can browse music, control volume, & choose any iW1 speaker which is connected for playback.
Note: The Remote App requires an iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) running iOS 4.2 or later, connected to the same network as the iW1.
Dual Power Sources: The iHome iW1 operates on AC power or via the internal rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery.
Rechargeable Battery: The iW1 features a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that can last approximately 10 hours (at normal listening volumes). A charging base is included to recharge the battery when connected to AC power. Allow up to 10 hours to full charge the battery.
Note: Along with the rechargeable battery, the integrated carrying handle lets you take the iW1 anywhere in your home.
AC Power Adapter: The iW1 includes a universal 100-240V external AC power adapter for operation & charging of the system. The external AC power adapter plugs into the iW1's charging base.
- Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz, 90mA
- Output: 12V-300mA
iPod, iPhone & iPad Compatibility Chart: The iHome iW1 is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, & iPad model features (as of 10/30/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||AirPlay||iHome Apps||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Unit||Apple Device||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.