Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Portable powered speaker system with Apple® AirPlay® (Black)
Crutchfield: Intro to Apple Airplay
From iHome: iW3 Portable Powered Speaker System
Item # 775IW3B | MFR # IW3BVC
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the iHome IW3 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Portable fun with your iTunes® music
The portable iW3 powered speaker system is simple to operate. Once the battery's charged, grab its built-in handle and take the compact system to whatever room you want music in. Playing music through the iW3 is just as easy, thanks to Apple AirPlay.
The iW3 sits directly on its charger, completely covering it for a sleek, uncluttered appearance.
Whether your iTunes music library is stored on your computer or a portable device, you can use its AirPlay option to stream music via Wi-Fi® to the iW3. AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your iPod touch®, iPhone®, or iPad® to the iW3. And you can also use your Apple device to remotely select and wirelessly play songs from the iTunes library on your Wi-Fi-enabled computer.
Apps and control options
iHome offers free iPhone and iPad apps to increase the versatility of your iW3. With the iHome Connect app, you can set up your wireless AirPlay system within moments.
Want some musical variety? Thousands of Internet radio stations are available to you through the iHome+Radio app. The iHome+Sleep app turns your portable device into a super alarm clock when connected to the iW3. It features an interactive alarm, weather updates, and even lets you track your sleeping patterns.
Dynamic stereo sound
The iW3 may look tall and skinny, but the sound is anything but. The system features two front-facing speakers and two side-firing passive speakers that evenly spread out the sound. You'll experience a spacious soundfield full of detail and presence. Sophisticated processing circuitry continually adjusts the sound, improving brightness and clarity while also delivering deeper bass.
Make a wired connection
You can connect your Apple portable device directly to the IW3's USB port. Play music from your connected iPod, iPhone, or iPad through the system. The iW3 can also charge your connected device.
Good Product, Nice sound Portable feature makes it nice to carry with you
BillM, Danville VA
What's in the Box:
- Airplay Speaker (iW3)
- AC power adapter (with attached 6' DC cord)
- 21" USB/iPod dock sync cable
- Charging base
- Quick Start Guide
- "Read this first!" note
- Limited 1 Year Warranty Information
- Important Safety Instructions/Consumers Product Safety Guide
- iHome Brochure
- portable wireless powered speaker system
- Apple AirPlay lets you stream music wirelessly from your iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, or computer
- 2 active and 2 passive speakers
- USB port for iPod/iPhone/iPad charging cable (cable included)
- stereo minijack auxiliary input for portable devices
- AC power adapter
- built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- 4-13/16"W x 9-3/8"H x 5-1/4"D
- weight: 2.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
iHome IW3 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
iHome iW3 AirPlay Wireless Speaker: The iHome AIR series iW3 is an AirPlay wireless speaker system that uses your Wi-Fi network to connect and control your iTunes library (Mac + PC) for wireless audio anywhere in the home. AirPlay is a built-in feature to Apple devices that lets you stream audio wirelessly from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, & iTunes through your existing WiFi network. Using AirPlay, the iW3 lets you play your iTunes or Apple device's music in any room of your home or office wirelessly, via your WiFi network. The iW3 also supports USB for charging and music playback of iPad, iPhone, and iPod with any iPod USB sync cable. Its modest size and rechargeable Lithium-ion battery make it an ideal solution for multiple room placement. With the iHome iW3 you can:
- Stream music directly from iTunes on your Mac or PC using your home Wi-Fi network.
- Stream your favorite music from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch from your iPod library or popular music apps like Pandora & iHeartRadio (available on the App Store).
- Dock, charge, & play audio with your iPhone or iPod using included USB/dock sync cable.
- Enjoy true wireless audio anywhere around the house with the iW3's rechargeable battery & convenient charging base.
- Add Multiple iW3 speakers to enjoy multi-room audio anywhere in the home (streaming to multiple speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source).
- Download & enjoy iHome apps available on the iTunes App Store - iHome Sleep (music alarm clock app), iHome Radio (Internet Radio music app), iHome Connect (network setup app for iHome AirPlay).
Reson8 Speaker Chambers: The iHome iW3 AirPlay Wireless Speaker employs specially designed sealed speaker enclosures that deliver clarity, depth, and power to your digital music.
SRS TruBass DSP: The iW3 features SRS TruBass digital sound processing to enhance the audio performance and ensure proper bass response when listening to your music.
SRS WOW HD: SRS WOW HD improves the playback quality of audio, delivering a dynamic 3D entertainment experience with deep, rich bass, and high frequency clarity for crisp detail.
Adjustable EQ: Bass & Treble controls let you customize the iW3 system's sound.
AirPlay Wireless Audio: Using AirPlay wireless audio streaming technology, the iW3 streams music from your iTunes, iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad anywhere you have a WiFi network in your home. Apple's AirPlay technology allows music, downloaded to iTunes, to be streamed wirelessly from your Mac or PC to the iHome iW3. You can even bypass your computer entirely, and stream high-quality audio directly from your Apple iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad (all without the need to dock the device). The iW3 & your Apple device must be connected to the same wireless network via WiFi (802.11b/g).
- iTunes Streaming: AirPlay technology gives you wireless remote access to your entire iTunes 10 music collection and Internet radio (such as Pandora & iHeartRadio) with full navigation & playback control from your computer (Mac/PC) or iPod touch/iPhone (iOS 4.2 or later), via Apple's free Remote app. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
- Apple Device Streaming: AirPlay also lets you wirelessly stream music and music apps stored on your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the iHome iW3. So there's no need to dock your Apple device, unless you want to charge it. The iW3 must be connected to a WiFi network with access your iPad, iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen) & running iOS 4.2 or later.
WiFi Certified: AirPlay works wherever there is a Wi-Fi network. The iHome iW3 is WiFi Certified for 802.11b & 802.11g WiFi networks. The "WiFi CERTIFIED" logo is an assurance that the WiFi Alliance has tested this product in numerous configurations & with a diverse sampling of other devices to ensure compatibility with other WiFi Certified equipment that operates in the same frequency band. The iW3 may take between 30-120 seconds to connect with your home network. The iW3 supports the following WiFi security types; WPA Personal (-PSK) & WPA2 Personal (-PSK); not compatible with WEP.
iHome+Apps Technology: The iW3 AirPlay wireless audio system is compatible with the following iHome+Apps, available for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. Simply download these apps for free from the Apple iTunes App Store to your compatible iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), or iPad running iOS 4.0 or later.
- iHome Connect App: The iHome iW3 supports simple network setup & custom device naming using the iHome Connect app (a free app available on the iTunes App Store) for iPad, iPhone, & iPod touch. Simply launch the app & dock your Apple device to the iW3 (with the included USB docking cable) & follow simple on-screen menus to configure WiFi. You'll be able to enjoy AirPlay in just a few short minutes.
- iHome+Sleep App: The iHome+Sleep app is a free sleep lifestyle app (from iTunes App Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. In addition to a full screen clock (with weather, iPod controls, & photo backgrounds) the app features custom alarms, wake & sleep music profiles, sleep stats, social update, plus reminders.
- iHome+Radio App: The iHome+Radio app is a free Internet Radio app (from iTunes Store) for the iPad, iPhone, & iPod Touch. The iHome+Radio app connects you to over 30,000 internet music, talk, sports, & news stations from around the world. With multitasking background audio support, you can listen to Internet Radio while surfing the web, playing games, & more.
Multi-Room Audio: You can add multiple iW3 speakers throughout your home & with AirPlay enjoy the same music from any or all of your speakers, simultaneously. Streaming to multiple iW3 speakers simultaneously requires iTunes as the source.
USB Docking: The iHome iW3 also supports audio playback via its rear-panel USB (type-A) port by using the included USB/dock sync cable or the USB/dock cable that comes with your iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The iW3 will even charge your USB/dock connected iPod or iPhone (with the iW3 turned on). The unit will not charge the iPad. The USB docking connector works with the iPod classic (80/120/160GB), iPod nano (2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th/7th gen), iPod touch (1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (2G/3G/3G/S4/5), & iPad. If you have an iPod nano (7th gen), iPod touch (5th gen), or iPhone 5; use the Lighting-to-USB cable that came with your Apple device to connect to the unit. The USB connector is not compatible with other USB (MSC/MTP) devices.
Firmware Updates: It may be necessary to update the firmware of your iW3 speaker to ensure the latest compatibility and optimal functionality. You can download the latest firmware updates from the iHome Support Site to a USB thumbdrive & connect to the USB port on the back of the iW3. Register for an iHome account to receive emails about FW updates.
Auxiliary Input: The iW3 is fitted with a rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input for connection of an external portable audio device, other than your Apple device.
Top-Panel Controls: The iHome iW3's top-panel, push-button controls allow you to operate the system & your music playback. The top-panel, push-button controls control offer power, mode, volume, & music controls. Controls will be lit according to the status of the iW3 speaker & the selected mode.
Apple Free Remote App: Use Apple's free Remote app to wirelessly control your iTunes music from your iPod touch (2nd/3rd/4th/5th gen), iPhone (3GS/4/4S/5), & iPad (1/2/3); running iOS 4.2 or later. Simply download the Remote application for free at the iTunes App Store. Then you can browse music, control volume, & choose any iW3 speaker which is connected for playback.
Dual Power Sources: The iHome iW3 operates on AC power or via the internal rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery.
Rechargeable Battery: The iW3 features a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery that can last approximately 10 hours (at normal listening volumes). A charging base is included to recharge the battery when connected to AC power. Allow up to 10 hours to full charge the battery.
AC Power Adapter: The iW3 includes a universal 100-240V external AC power adapter for operation & charging of the system. The external AC power adapter plugs into the iW3's charging base.
- Input: 100-240V~50-60Hz, 1.2A
- Output: 12V-3500mA
iPod, iPhone & iPad Compatibility Chart: The iHome iW3 is "Made for iPod/iPhone/iPad" compatible & supports the following iPod, iPhone, & iPad model features (as of 10/30/2012):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||AirPlay||iHome Apps||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Unit||Apple Device||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the device and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.