Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Cambridge Audio Azur 851E
Stereo preamplifier (Black)
Item # 779851EB | MFR # 851E-BK
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Cambridge Audio Azur 851Eby Crutchfield's David Brown
Taking aim at perfection
The purpose of audiophile equipment is always the same: to reproduce music as accurately as possible without introducing any sound that wasn't there to begin with. Cambridge Audio has long taken this mission seriously with their highly regarded amplifiers. Their Azur 851E preamp moves them one large step closer to this ideal. Every aspect of this preamp's construction is designed for accurate playback with an absolute minimum of distortion and noise.
Together with the 851W power amp (top - not included), the Azur 851E preamp delivers impeccable musical accuracy with minimal distortion (shown in Black).
Old and new features
Some of the 851E's features will look familiar to audiophiles, such as the oversized toroidal transformer, balanced XLR connections, and the all-metal chassis. But there are some interesting developments that add to this preamp's impeccable performance. A new solid-state volume controller offers precise linear control while not introducing distortion into the analog source signal. This not only keeps the signal pure, it also offers more accurate balance between the left and right channels at low volumes.
Building a better preamp stage
Another key reason for this preamp's clean sound is the proprietary Terrapin amplification stage. Rather than use standard op-amp chips, Cambridge Audio developed their own amp circuit that offers improved stereo separation and imaging at low volume levels. The Terrapin circuitry also employs an impedance buffering module, which separates the incoming source signal from the amplifier stage. This buffer minimizes the effect that varying output impedances among connected sources can have on an amplifier's performance. That means you can connect up to eight source components to the 851E while maintaining its sonic clarity and astonishingly low distortion.
A few more perks
While purity of sound is the purpose of the 851E, Cambridge Audio managed to sneak in a few cool features without compromising Job #1. There's a front-panel display which allows you to customize the names of your source components. There's also a subwoofer output with selectable full-range or as a 200 Hz low-pass operation for flexible bass management. In addition to the many connections for source components, the 851E offers advanced control features and connections like 12-volt trigger and IR jacks. Of course, the easiest way to achieve seamless integration is to pair this preamp with Cambridge Audio's Azur 851W power amp, for a dynamic duo that will scale sonic heights without breaking a sweat.
- connect up to 8 source components at a time
- 3 pairs of balanced XLR inputs
- 7 pairs of unbalanced stereo RCA inputs
- stereo RCA record input/output
- stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA preamp outputs
- total harmonic distortion: less than 0.00057% @ 20,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: less than 110 dB
- advanced solid-state volume controller offers precise fine tuning with accurate channel balance even at low volume
- proprietary Terrapin amplification stages offer improved stereo separation and imaging at low volume levels and consistent sound from all source components
- large toroidal power transformer for clean, stable power
- front-panel LCD display with custom naming for source inputs
- sub preamp output for connecting a powered subwoofer
- adjustable for full-range output or 200 Hz low-pass filter
- infrared control input, RS-232 port, control bus in/out, and 12-volt trigger in/out for use with external controllers and components
- bass and treble tone controls
- 1/4" headphone jack
- all-metal chassis with brushed aluminum front panel to minimize vibration-induced distortion
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 4-1/2"H x 16-1/16"D
- weight: 17.9 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 6' AC power cord
- IR remote control (RC-8/SM)
- 3 "AAA" batteries
- 38" Mono-RCA cable
- User Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Quick Start Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
Features and Specs
|Signal to Noise Ratio||Not Given|
|Number of Inputs|
|Network Streaming Services||N/A|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Low Distortion: Every component within the Cambridge Audio Azur 851E pre-amplifier is designed not to interfere with the audio signal input and output, meaning that harmonic distortion and noise are so low that they're almost impossible to measure.
Solid State Volume Control: The Cambridge Audio Azur 851E pre-amplifier employs a solid state volume control that offers precise control, retains channel balance accurately at low levels, and offers truly linear performance; all without introducing any distortion to the precious analog source signal. While the volume control itself is digital, the signal remains completely analog.
Terrapin Impedance Buffering Modules: Cambridge Audio's proprietary modules replace the op-amps commonly found in similar preamplifiers. At the critical low level gain stages, these offer far improved stereo separation and imaging.
Full Metal Chassis + Toroidal Power Supply: The 851E pre-amplifier features an acoustically damped, low resonance full-metal chassis with a thick, brushed aluminum front-panel. The 851E also uses a large toroidal transformer to deliver exceptional reliability and perfect performance every time.
Balanced and Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The Cambridge Audio Azur 851E pre-amplifier is fitted with both balanced and unbalanced analog audio inputs.
- Balanced XLR Inputs: The 851E pre-amplifier features three sets of balanced XLR inputs to connect high-resolution CD and SACD players. XLR is a higher-quality input that can reject noise and interference from equipment with balanced outputs.
- Unbalanced RCA Inputs: The Cambridge Audio 851E is fitted with eight pair of gold-plated analog audio unbalanced inputs (RCA) to connect your external audio sources; such as your Blu-ray/DVD player, AM/FM tuner, CD/SACD player, or Network Player.
Note: The pre-amplifier's Inputs 1, 2, and 3 feature both XLR and RCA inputs; only one type of connector can be used at a time for an input.
Balanced and Unbalanced Analog Outputs: The Cambridge Audio 851E offers a variety of balanced and unbalance analog audio outputs.
- Preamp Outputs: The Cambridge Audio 851E is equipped with a set of balanced XLR preamp outputs, as well as a set of RCA preamp outputs to connect the pre-amp to Cambridge Audio's 851W power amp (779851WB, sold separately) or other external power amplifier (sold separately).
- Sub Out: The 851E is fitted with a mono-RCA subwoofer output to connect a powered subwoofer for added bass. This output can have either a full-range, unfiltered frequency response or a 200Hz low pass filter can be applied.
- Record Output: One of the pre-amp's stereo RCA inputs is a "Record In" and is paired with a "Record Out" which also consists of stereo RCA connectors. This allows you to connect to a CD recorder, MiniDisc recorder, or tape recorder.
- Headphone Output: The 851E pre-amplifier offers a front-panel 1/4" headphone output to connect a set of headphones for private listening. When headphones are connected, the output to loudspeakers is muted. Use headphones with an impedance of between 32 and 600 ohms.
Audio Settings: The 851E pre-amplifier offers a variety of audio adjustments to tailor your music.
- Tone Control: The 851E has independent Bass (10Hz) and Treble (20kHz) controls. The Bass can be adjust from -10 to +10dB, while the Treble can be adjusted from -7.5 to +7.5dB. Balance control allows you to adjust the relative output levels of the left and right speaker channels. The Bass, Treble, and Balance controls only effects the preamp outputs; it does not effect the record outputs. Direct mode gives the audio signal a more direct path, bypassing the bass and treble control circuits for the purest possible sound quality.
- Gain: The relative levels of the inputs can be adjusted by gain trim. This allows each to be adjusted so that each sounds the same in terms of average loudness when you switch between them. In addition, any input of the 851E is able to be set for fixed gain. Whenever this input is selected the gain will automatically go to this value and will not be adjustable by the volume control. This can be useful with sources that have their own built in volume control.
Front-Panel LCD: The 851E has a front-panel display that shows the current status and allows you to access the 851E' system settings menu. Here you can adjust the listening settings of the amplifier to personal preference. The menu system is easy to navigate and control from the remote or pre-amplifier. You can adjust the brightness of the display.
Remote Control: The 851E is supplied with an IR remote control that wirelessly operates this pre-amplifier, as well as other Cambridge Audio 851 series products and Stream Magic gear (sold separately).
IR Input/Control Bus: The 851E features a IR Emitter input (3.5mm) which allows modulated IR commands from multi-room systems or IR repeater system to be received by the pre-amplifier. The 851E also features a Control Bus Input and Output (RCA), which allows un-modulated commands from multi-room systems or other components to be received by the pre-amp and loop out to another unit.
Trigger In/Out: For custom install use, the 851E can be turned on and off (i.e. brought in and out of Standby mode) by the presence of 5-12V DC at the Trigger input (3.5mm). A trigger input or by turning the 851E on from the remote/front panel will also produce an internally generated 12V DC trigger output at the Trigger Out 1 and 2 connections (3.5mm). This can be used to turn on/ Standby a connected 851W power amplifier if desired.
RS232 Port: The integrated amp's RS232 port is used for control of the 851E in custom install situations from an external controller. A full protocol is available for the 851E on Cambridge Audio's website.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Great Specs[ William C. Dec 19, 2016 ]
Excellent preamp, I don't think you can go wrong with this device is the perfect companion to the Cambridge 851W Amplifier.[ Anthony Nov 12, 2016 ]
Read good reviews, already have Cambridge CXN Network player, which I love.[ S Aug 12, 2016 ]