Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Drift® Innovation HD170 Stealth Camera
Rugged, water-resistant, mountable HD digital video camera
HD170 mounted to dirt bike
HD170 mounted to remote control car
Item # 788SHD170 | MFR # DRIF-SHD170
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Drift® Innovation HD170 Stealth Camera by Crutchfield's Kristen Schaub
Re-live your sports adventures in high-definition
Capture your extreme stunts in HD with Drift Innovation's rugged HD170 Stealth Camera. It captures video in stunningly sharp "Full" HD 1080p video resolution, so you can re-live your moves in all their crisp, clear glory. Or you can set the cam to "burst mode" and it'll snap sharp 5-megapixel photos at an interval of your choosing. Now you can finally show your buddies just how extreme that mid-air flip looked from your point-of-view!
Easy mounting to your helmet or handlebars
This rugged, water-resistant digital camera has a specially designed shape that mounts perfectly to a helmet, goggles, handlebars, and more. The rotating lens means you can mount the camera at any angle and any position to get the exact shot you're looking for. It's perfect for capturing skydiving formations, ski jumps, skateboarding tricks, and just about any other extreme sport move you can think of.
Built-in display so you can capture the video you want
Here's a feature you don't see on many sports action cameras: a 1-1/2" color LCD screen. It lets you review and critique your moves on the spot, so you won't have to wait until you get home to see your footage that way you can make sure you've captured your stunts just the way you envisioned them. The HD170 also comes with a component video connection, allowing you to show off your moves on your TV when you get home. And the included remote fits on your wrist, so you can choose when to call "Action!". Or you can also hand the remote over to a friend, and let them call the shots.
Easy to set up, easy to use. Great video quality.
Jeff H., Concord, MA
What's in the Box:
- HD170 High definition action camera
- Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V/1100 mAh/4.11 Wh)
- Two-button remote control (with CR2032 3V battery installed)
- Handlebar grip
- Goggle Mount
- Adjustable stretch head strap
- Helmet grip
- Universal clip mount
- 12" Velcro strap
- Dual-sided adhesive pad for helmet grip (3.5" x 2.25")
- Self-adhesive Velcro pad for Goggle Mount (3" x 1.75")
- Self-adhesive Velcro pad for Handlebar Grip (1.625" x 1.875")
- 65" USB cable (with Type A USB on one end and a Mini B Ver. 2.0 USB on the other end)
- 5' Component video/audio cable (with proprietary connector on one end and 5 RCA plugs--component video and stereo audio--on the other end)
- Quick Guide
- "Getting the most from your HD170" sheet
- captures widescreen 16:9 HD video in 1080p/720p/WVGA resolution
- snaps 5-megapixel still images
- records to SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB (not included)
- optional 32GB SDHC card holds up to 9 hours of video
- 170° wide-angle lens rotates up to 300° for properly aligned video no matter where you mount the camera
- 4X digital zoom (in 720p at 30/60fps and WVGA modes only)
- rugged housing is water-resistant down to 1-1/2 ft.
- 1-1/2" color LCD screen
- built-in microphone and speaker
- time-lapse photo mode snaps a photo every 3/5/10/30 seconds
- night mode for shooting in dimly lit settings
- includes camera, remote control, handlebar mount, goggle mount, head strap, helmet mount, and more
- included rechargeable lithium battery provides up to 2-1/2 hours of operation fully charged
- proprietary audio and component video output allows for connection to TV (cable included)
- USB port for easy connection to a PC (cable included)
- 1-3/8"W x 2-3/16"H x 5-3/8"D
- weight: 4.9 oz. with battery and housing
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Drift® Innovation HD170 Stealth Camera Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.5|
|Total Pixel Count||---|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Optical Zoom||1 x|
|Digital Zoom||4 x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||180 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||4.868|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Drift HD170 Stealth is a water-resistant sports action camera that is capable of recording full 1080p HD video. It comes with a variety of mounts so you can use it whenever and wherever you want. You can record to SD/SDHC memory cards up to 32 GB.
Video Resolution: The HD170 records 16:9 HD video in H.264 (MOV) video format. You can choose from three video resolutions: 1080p, 720p, and WVGA. At 720p and WVGA, you can choose from 30 or 60 frames per second. When recording in 1080p, only 30 fps is available.
Photo Mode: In addition to full HD video, the HD170 can also take 5-megapixel JPEG photos. You can choose to record one photo at a time, or set the camera to take photos at a set interval (2, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds).
Lens: The lens gives you a wide 127° recording angle when recording in 1080p and WVGA, and 170°in 720p. The lens can be rotated up to 300° for upright images from most any angle. The lens has a focal range of 0.5m (19.7") to infinity. A digital zoom of up to 4x is available in 720p and WVGA modes.
Imaging Device/Sensitivity: The camera uses a high-quality CMOS image sensor for excellent video quality. An adjustable exposure setting allows you to determine the camera's sensitivity to light. If recording in very bright or dark conditions, you can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0. There is also a Night Mode to enhance recordings made in very low light.
Microphone: The HD170 has a built-in microphone for recording sound with your action videos. The microphone sensitivity is adjustable (low, medium, or high) in the camera menu. An input is available for an external microphone (item # 788DMIC), or adapters for microphones with 3.5mm (788D35MM) or RCA (788DRCA) plugs.
LCD Screen: The 1.5" TFT color LCD screen allows you to preview your shots before you start recording, as well as play back your videos immediately after shooting.
Video Output: Using the proprietary audio/video cable, you can play back HD videos on your HDTV. The cable has a component video plug (3 RCAs) and stereo RCA audio plugs.
Power Requirements: The HD170 is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7 volts / 1100 mAh). A fully-charged battery provides about 2-1/2 to 3 hours of shooting time at 77��F, slightly less in colder temperatures. Battery life can be extended by changing the LCD brightness setting (or turning off the LCD), or setting the camera to turn itself off when no buttons are pressed for a set amount of time. A longer-life battery (1700 mAh--4 hours) is also available. The battery can be charged via USB or an optional battery charger or cigarette lighter adapter.
Remote Control: The supplied 2-button wireless remote control allows you to easily operate the camera hands-free. A Velcro strap is supplied to allow you to wear the remote on your wrist or secure it to various devices. The remote works on radio frequencies (RF), so line-of-sight is not required as with infrared remotes. The remote has a range of approximately 10 feet. The remote will need to be paired with the camera prior to use. If desired, a single remote can be paired to multiple cameras, so you can start/stop recording all paired cameras with one button press. The remote control is powered by the CR2032 battery (installed).
Mounting Options: The HD170 is designed for use during multiple activities. The camera comes with the following mounting hardware:
- Universal Clip: The Universal Clip screws onto the bottom of the camera. With the Universal Clip in place, the camera can then be used with a variety of mounts. The clip has two "arms" that click into place in each of the mounts.
- Goggle Mount: The Goggle Mount can be attached to most goggle straps up to 1-1/2" wide, or to the supplied adjustable elastic head strap.
- Helmet Mount: The curved Helmet Mount can be attached to a solid helmet using the supplied self-adhesive Velcro pads, or to a vented cycle or kayak helmet using the Velcro strap.
- Handlebar Mount: The handlebar mount will fit many bicycle and motorcycle handlebars with its C-clamp style fastener. The mount includes a rubber pad that fits between the mount and the handlebar to keep the mount from slipping out of position.
- Tripod Mount: Without the Universal Clip, the HD170 has a standard 1/4" tripod thread which can be used with most standard camera mounts or optional suction mounts.
Computer System Requirements: You can upload your videos and photos from the HD170 to your PC or Mac using the supplied USB cable. Recommended system requirements are as follows:
|Operating System||Windows 7
Windows XP (SP2 or later)
|MAC OS X v 10.4.11 or later|
|CPU||3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor or higher||2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo or higher|
|RAM||1 GB or more||1 GB or more|
|Other||Graphics Card with at least 256 MB of Video RAM
Direct X 9.0c or later
|Graphics Card with at least 256 MB of Video RAM|
|Recommendations||To smoothly view and edit 1080p HD
video, more powerful hardware is required.
Since HD video requires large amounts of hard drive space, an external hard drive may be needed to store your video files.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.