Why Choose Crutchfield?
Great gear and expert advice
Our experts help you pick the ideal gear for your needs.Meet our advisors
Free tech support for the life of your gear.Read about our one-on-one expert help
You may return items that are complete and like new for any reason within 60 days.See the details of our return policy
Earn one point for every dollar you spend and use those points to save on future purchases.Get full details on Crutchfield Rewards
Deep discounts on car installation gear
We offer vehicle-specific installation instructions, dash kits, wiring harnesses, and speaker accessories at deeply discounted prices with car stereo and speaker purchases. Available for most vehicles.Learn more
Trusted since 1974
Our customers have trusted us with their business, and they’ve helped us win awards for our service.Check out our most recent awards
The manufacturer’s warranty always applies.See more details
Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller
Controller/solar interface for trickle-charging 12-volt batteries
Item # 79714002 | MFR # 14002
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Goal Zero Guardian 12V Charge Controller by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Dependable charging for your 12-volt batteries
Use the Guardian Charge Controller with one or more Goal Zero solar panels (not included).
Keep all your 12-volt batteries charged and ready for action. The Guardian 12V Charge Controller provides an easy way to harness the sun's power to trickle-charge 12-volt batteries for a car or truck, motorcycle, lawnmower, etc.
The Guardian works hand in hand with one or more of Goal Zero's compact solar panels, like the Nomad 13, Boulder 15, or Escape 30. The Guardian controls the charge to your battery, and guards against overcharging that can damage the battery. It's a smart way to maintain your batteries when not in use.
You can connect a single solar panel to the Guardian, or hook up two panels at the same time for quicker battery-charging. Just use the supplied cable with alligator clips to connect to your 12V battery, then connect the Guardian to your solar panel(s) and place in the sun.
Who is Goal Zero?
Goal Zero is a Utah-based innovator of portable solar solutions that can power a variety of USB, 12-volt, and AC devices wherever and whenever you need them. Field-proven in some of the most remote places on Earth, Goal Zero products add an eco-friendly measure of convenience, comfort and safety to any outdoor adventure.
What's in the Box:
- Guardian 12v Charge Controller
- 25" Alligator clip cable (+/-)
- User guide
- 12-volt recharger for use with one or more Goal Zero solar panels
- rugged, weather-resistant design optimal operating temp. 32-104° F
- easy, reliable way to trickle-charge, recharge and maintain 12V batteries for cars, motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc.
- supports up to 150W of solar panels
- 8mm and 4.7mm input ports for connecting to solar panel(s)
- 12V output port for battery charging
- includes a cable with a pair of alligator clips for connecting to your battery
- 4-7/8"W x 2-3/8"H x 1"D
- weight: 6.4 oz. including alligator clips
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
Overview: The Guardian 12v controls the voltage output for charging a 12 volt battery from a GoalZero solar panel (or multiple solar panels). It has both 8mm and 4.7mm inputs, so it's compatible with current and legacy solar panels. One LED on the Guardian 12v indicates the solar panel is connected. Another LED shows the battery's charge level, so the Guardian 12v can also be used to test the battery.
- Inputs: supports up to 150 watts of solar panels
- 8mm Port: 15-16 volts/0-10 amps (150 watts max)
- 4.7mm Port: 15-16 volts/0-10 amps (150 watts max)
- Output: 11-14 volts/0-10 amps (120 watts max)
- Weight: 0.4/6.4 oz (including output cables)
- Optimal Operating Temperature Range: 32°-104° F
- Width: 4-7/8" (without cables connected)
- Height: 1"
- Depth: 2-3/8"
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.